Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: To make a nice sporter

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
BillG500
.300 member

Reged: 16/10/14
Loc: Australia
To make a nice sporter
      #257258 - 27/11/14 10:34 PM

Recently bought a BSA LE MK1 1898, which has been sporterised a little. I have not picked it up yet but the photos I was sent shows she wasn't messed with.
I know just less than a little about these rifles but after seeing a few Lee Speeds here and there, I have bought this rifle to sporterise a lot further.
I have a fair idea what pattern stock I am after, but for the life of me I can't find Gordon Coussens phone number. Can anyone help me out please? I also saw one with a tang safety and also a schematic of the tang safety which was a bit out of focus, but did the tang safeties work...push forward for safe? It looked that way, from what I could tell. Is there anyone in OZ that can manufacture one? And one last question (thanks for your patience) does anyone have a shortened magazine they are willing to part with or know where I can get one made etc.
Sorry to bombard with questions straight up, but I have researched this a bit prior and these are questions I have........for now.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LesLeeSpeed
.300 member

Reged: 14/11/13
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: To make a nice sporter [Re: BillG500]
      #257261 - 27/11/14 11:37 PM

Gordon's email is gcusens@hotmail.com
/index.php?topic=166855.0]http://www.[blank]/index.php?topic=166855.0 if you go to this address you will see the tang safety you were talking about, and the gunsmith who made it. He can do the magazine as well.
Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your rifle. I too am in the process of building a Lee Speed copy in a larger calibre, 375x2 1/2 probably, to go with my original BSA.
LesLeeSpeed

Edited by LesLeeSpeed (27/11/14 11:38 PM)

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: To make a nice sporter [Re: LesLeeSpeed]
      #257273 - 28/11/14 08:23 AM

Quote:

/index.php?topic=166855.0]http://www.[blank]/index.php?topic=166855.0 if you go to this address you will see the tang safety you were talking about, and the gunsmith who made it. He can do the magazine as well.
Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your rifle. I too am in the process of building a Lee Speed copy in a larger calibre, 375x2 1/2 probably, to go with my original BSA.
LesLeeSpeed

Link doesn't work

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
      #257312 - 28/11/14 04:58 PM

http://nickalguns.net/Contact_Us.php

He can make a tang safety, and shorten a magazine up. Does amazing work. Give him a call, names Tony and he's a top fella. Ask if he can send pictures of the Lee sporter he recently did to show a tang safety he made.

Cheers.

--------------------

BillG500
.300 member

Re: To make a nice sporter [Re: Ash]
      #257539 - 05/12/14 10:07 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I've spoken to Gordon about a suitable blank and pattern and have that side of things well under way now. I'll be looking at a pretty fancy piece of timber and a pattern that is sleek and petite with no cheek piece. I'll add updates as things progress.

BillG500
.300 member

#262464 - 18/03/15 06:54 PM

I have now purchased a beautiful piece of timber from Gordon. It took a little while to select the the blank that I did, partly through Gordon having to decipher my description of what I wanted.
I was sent a few photos of blanks and detailed explanations of the blanks characteristics which was well above anything I expected. These blanks were of exceptional quality and very pleasing to the eye but it was one blank that did it for me and I think it is one very special piece of timber. Unfortunately I forgot to transfer the emailed copies of the photos sent to my ex work email, so I can't post them here (I'll have to ask Gordon to resend the images).
Anyway, now that I have got some issues with the firearms licensing branch sorted, I will now be able to move forward with this rifle.
Now just on a side note, I received some of the best service, advice, explanations and just down right pleasantness from anyone ever in the firearms industry. So if you want honest reliable information and service about stock blanks give Gordon a call, you won't be disappointed. I also think he has a soft spot for Lee Speeds.
Not sure if I'm supposed to give someone a free plug on the forum, if not please forgive me.

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
      #262470 - 18/03/15 11:13 PM

I don't see why not

Looking foward to seeing this built!

--------------------

BillG500
.300 member

Re: To make a nice sporter [Re: Ash]
      #268411 - 23/07/15 04:41 PM

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b607/billg1966/IMG_1646_zpsjigjon71.jpg

BillG500
.300 member

#268412 - 23/07/15 04:43 PM

Damn, trying to post photos.....not very well I might add too.

BillG500
.300 member

#268414 - 23/07/15 05:04 PM

If the pictures come out OK, here is the rifle I bought that will be the donor, to make a Lee Speed look a like. I have a limited amount of knowledge with Lee Enfield's, actually my knowledge base could be written on a fairy's nipple with a crayon, if I was to be honest.

It came with the two bolts shown and I wouldn't have a clue which is the correct bolt at this time. Both fit and function to a degree, but neither feel right. I thought the actions on these were as slick as, if that's the case then something's wrong for sure.

It's been sporterised at sometime, by whom I have no idea. It has an 1898 LE MK1 action but the rear sights seem to be of a later model?? The rifle itself is in very good condition with no corrosion or pitting anywhere, which I find quite suprising for a rifle of this vintage and the barrel bore is like new. I'm not sure but by the looks I think it has had minimal use.

Any comments or ideas of what I think may be a bitza are more than welcome.

BillG500
.300 member

#268415 - 23/07/15 05:06 PM

Cheers Igorrock, got it know. Will get some more up now

BillG500
.300 member

#268416 - 23/07/15 05:14 PM

Here we go

BillG500
.300 member

#268417 - 23/07/15 05:23 PM

BillG500
.300 member

#268418 - 23/07/15 05:28 PM

Any idea what the number above the serial # is?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: To make a nice sporter [Re: VonGruff]
      #268424 - 23/07/15 08:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

LesLeeSpeed

Link doesn't work

Toxic forum link won't work here,

Looks like a nice project. I would load the photos myself here, but am banned from that toxic website.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (24/07/15 03:59 AM)

Nailcreek
.300 member

Reged: 13/08/08
Loc: Saukville, WI, USA
Re: To make a nice sporter [Re: NitroX]
      #268456 - 24/07/15 07:56 AM

Nice rifle. It looks like you scored an early Lee Enfield, with both Lee Metford bolts (safety and half-cock types). The rear sight looks like an early Lee Enfield type, with a bone insert. The fore-stock is from an SMLE. Some might say restore it to it's former military glory, but hey, it's your rifle! If you want to try and figure out what you've got there, you might want to contact Ian Skennerton.

Please load more pics when you get a chance!

How's it shoot?

--------------------
Veni, Vedici, Veggie ... I came, I saw, I had a salad.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: To make a nice sporter [Re: Nailcreek]
      #268457 - 24/07/15 08:11 AM

That looks like a great hunting rifle to me, just the way it is. i do like the checkered forend - even though worn or cut very shallow - looks great.
That rifle is the epitome of the standard moose rifle in BC, years gone by. Even now, it is still used a lot.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

BillG500
.300 member

Re: To make a nice sporter [Re: DarylS]
      #268463 - 24/07/15 10:19 AM

Nailcreek, I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet as I am a bit concerned about which bolt is which. The one without the safety has a trigger pull so hard something must be amiss and I'm not keen on shooting it with that bolt.
The bolt with the half cock safety is not much better in that on pulling the trigger a lot of time it goes to half cock. Something is wrong there and a trip to the gunsmith is eminent I think.
Unfortunately I know next to nothing about these rifles so I don't even know which is the correct one if either are.
I got sucked into the Lee Speed thing from this site, but could not find one. So hence the decision to make one.

BillG500
.300 member

#268630 - 27/07/15 08:15 PM

Well, I shot her over the weekend and was surprised how accurate she was, 3 shots into less than 1" 1/2 at 100 yards. I couldn't reproduce a group that small again, but with a fore sight like a fence post I'm not surprised, nor disappointed. It did shoot about 8" high but I'm not in the least concerned about that either.

I'm convinced now that the original bolt has been lost and the previous owner found two different bolts to try and get her running. The first bolt wouldn't fire and the second (which I should of checked the head space on) had a trigger pull of probably close to a 'bloody hell of a lot'. The headspace I later worked out to be over .008" out of spec hence the odd shaped fired cases. I didn't bother to check the headspace prior, as the person I bought her off said she was a shooter. Buyer beware I suppose.

I've tried to find contact details for Tony Small from Nikal Traditional Gunsmithing with no luck, does anyone have contact details for him?

I'm chasing a few screws that are a bit shagged but my internet skills have failed me so far. I'm sure there is someone who will have them, any suggestions on who supplies spares for these rifles would be greatly appreciated.

darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
      #269276 - 15/08/15 09:29 PM

Depending on what safety system you use will depend on which bolt is best suited to your needs, tang safety will use the the half cock type or if you choose the other the safety is already there, neither is wrong for what you want.
Tony looks like he may have stopped trading, i found this on the net.

http://abncheck.com.au/abn/19746482006

For your screws Alan Hibbs at Kingaroy firearms would have what you need.

HTH
Pete

Old_Glass
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: BC, Canada
      #282889 - 25/05/16 03:57 PM

Quote:

Nailcreek, I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet as I am a bit concerned about which bolt is which. The one without the safety has a trigger pull so hard something must be amiss and I'm not keen on shooting it with that bolt.
The bolt with the half cock safety is not much better in that on pulling the trigger a lot of time it goes to half cock. Something is wrong there and a trip to the gunsmith is eminent I think.
Unfortunately I know next to nothing about these rifles so I don't even know which is the correct one if either are.
I got sucked into the Lee Speed thing from this site, but could not find one. So hence the decision to make one.

One thing that is wrong is that you have a nice early "button" cocking piece from a Savage-made Lee Enfield No.4 rifle, circa 1942! No.4 collectors like those.

If the bolt is not original you need to check the recoil lug contacts with blue. If they don't contact well you'll need to lap them in.

Edited by Old_Glass (25/05/16 03:59 PM)

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: To make a nice sporter [Re: Old_Glass]
      #282900 - 26/05/16 12:10 AM

I also would like to buy a nice forend for my old SMLE. I have a 1901 Irish that I want to make into a sporting rifle. I can make the butt stock easily, but I would not like to make the forend unless I have to. I have been making gunstocks for 48 years, but an SMLE is quite different than anything I have done. I am very sure I could do it, but I have only need for this one so I don't think my "learning time" would be well spent compared to what it would cost to buy one.

Seems that getting one in the USA is all but impossible. Any of you men "down under" have a lead for me to follow? Or maybe a Canadian would be able to help?

I have tried Gordon but in 5 years I have never received a reply from him no matter how many times I e-mail. The link posted above doesn't work either.

Edited by szihn (26/05/16 12:12 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: To make a nice sporter [Re: DarylS]
      #282905 - 26/05/16 12:55 AM

Quote:

That looks like a great hunting rifle to me, just the way it is. i do like the checkered forend - even though worn or cut very shallow - looks great.
That rifle is the epitome of the standard moose rifle in BC, years gone by. Even now, it is still used a lot.

This rifle was my first centerfire rifle I ever owned..bought from my uncle at age 12 in .303 British...shot many whitetails in N Dakota where i grew up..great rifle and still take it out once in a while when it is cold and snowing..stalking either deer, elk or bear now in Montana..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
Re: To make a nice sporter [Re: Ripp]
      #282950 - 26/05/16 10:49 PM

SILE made a lot of sporting wood for the Lee Enfields in fact the parker-Hale conversions wore SILE wood.

--------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10106

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com