Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: dangerous game rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
wharf
.300 member

Reged: 02/08/04
Loc: aust
dangerous game rifles
      #25718 - 05/02/05 10:17 PM

I have just had a read of the latest aust shooter.there is an article about D G rifles.How often does a stock crack on these things?sounds like a bit of a worry.Or is it rare?

--------------------
if it bleeds we can kill it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: dangerous game rifles [Re: wharf]
      #25719 - 05/02/05 11:31 PM

I saw that article.

It has certainly been reported on AccurateReloding a lot with the CZs.

But if they were bedded they would be OK. I suspect on the ones that crack the second recoil lug on the barrel is not contacting and then is no cross bolt in the wood behind the action recoil lug. To compound the problem there is not much wood behind the recoil lug and the action recoil lug is small.

The only other action I can think of (apart from other Mauser based actions) that have a small amount of wood behind the recoil lug is the Weatherbys. But the bigger Weatherbys come with a big lug mounted on the barrel reinforce, about an inch out from the action and it is epoxied bedded, plus there is a cross bolt inletted into the stock and the action recoil lug is much deeper, similar to M70.

Also, if the CZ did slip back a bit in the stock it would be easy for the stock to crack near the tang area as the tang does not sit on top of the stock like a Wby or Rem 700. Some M70s can have problem with the tang because although it is like the Wby and Rem 700 tang it has a square section that extends down so as to lengthen the screw hole for the tang screw.

But a CZ correctly bedded would have no problems.

Mike

wharf
.300 member

Re: dangerous game rifles [Re: Mike375]
      #25770 - 06/02/05 01:57 PM

If I buy a CZ how much work would have to be done to it.Also what is the deal with 3 pos safties?

--------------------

Edited by wharf (06/02/05 01:59 PM)

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: dangerous game rifles [Re: wharf]
      #25772 - 06/02/05 02:28 PM

I think the 3 position M70 type safety is fairly dear, in the hundreds I think fitted. There is an Australian in Victoria who posts as PC who will know for sure. He is on AccurateReloading so I would post up there on Big Bores.

The CZ only really needs bedding. I do my own bedding but I thing the going rate runs from $100 to $150. Someone doing the bedding for you could also put an internal cross bolt in at the same time.

It is a bigger deal to do a cross bolt that shows externally because you are involved with stock finish and the finish on the end of the bolt.

The cross bolt is in reality the counterpart of steel reinforcement rods used in concrete.

Although on some rifles like the earlier Sakos with a small Mauser type recoil lug the cross bolt is used for the action recoil lug to bear against. The idea of doing this is to effectively increase the area of the action's recoil lug.

But if you just got a CZ bedded and both its action recoil lug and barrel mounted lug and there is a small clearance behind the tang (it only has to be thous) then you will be OK.

Mike

wharf
.300 member

Re: dangerous game rifles [Re: Mike375]
      #25782 - 06/02/05 08:33 PM

Thanks mate.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 99 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2184

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com