Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bushed firing pins?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
Metalguy
.300 member

Reged: 25/10/09
Loc: Northern WY
Bushed firing pins?
      #252085 - 14/08/14 12:24 AM

Just out of curiosity, when looking for a donor gun is there a rule of thumb on how to tell if the shotgun has bushed firing pins or not? I have had a build in the back of my mind for years now and would like to start getting somewhere. All the shotguns I look at online show them with the breech closed. Can anyone help out a newbie? TIA

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Bushed firing pins? [Re: Metalguy]
      #252108 - 14/08/14 11:34 AM

Some shotguns have smallish firing pins that do not need bushing, the Greener Empire shotguns I have owned have all been fine, including the 'Fat Lady'.

Older guns, and especially hammer-guns with angled firing pins, mostly have over-sized pins and holes, and definitely need bushing (or avoiding!).

I had a couple of comparative photos up on this site years ago, they will still be here somewhere but no idea how to find them now. I will have a look tho.....

In short, there is probably no way to tell if an unknown gun, photographed closed, is bushed or not, or has small enough holes not to need it. You will have to request photos of the breech face (standing breech) if possible.

Good luck!

OK, found this already uploaded: shows Greener Empire standing breech with firing pins small enough to not need bushing:

Edited by Marrakai (14/08/14 11:41 AM)

Metalguy
.300 member

Re: Bushed firing pins? [Re: Marrakai]
      #252146 - 15/08/14 02:29 AM

Thanks for the response. Is there a measurement that I should look for as a maximum when looking for the non-bushed variety? I don't remember seeing this in Ellis' book???

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
      #252148 - 15/08/14 03:08 AM

What Tony says is correct, however, in my experience, it is just as important that there is a good, close fit between the pins and the bores that they fit into. If there is a gap between the nose of the firing pin and the surrounding steel, the primer metal, under pressure of ignition, will flow into it and possibly rupture. That can ruin your day, your gun, and possibly your hand and face.

Metalguy
.300 member

Re: Bushed firing pins? [Re: Ron_Vella]
      #252151 - 15/08/14 05:53 AM

Thanks Ron, I see you mostly seem to use the BRNO shotguns. Are they bushed already? I suppose I am trying to avoid what looks like a fairly laborious and costly process. Thanks

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
      #252161 - 15/08/14 08:39 AM

The BRNO guns ARE bushed, however that does not automatically mean that the fit is correct. If you've been following my latest thread here, re the 6.5x57R and .32-20 WCF that I'm currently building, you'll note that I had to reduce the diameter of the firing pins, and insert smaller bushings into the discs. First firings with the original configuration showed way too much primer flow for safety. This is a Zabala gun but you might find these conditions in ANY make of shotgun. Keep in mind that your working pressure in a shotgun is around 10,000 psi, versus at least 30,000 psi, and possibly twice that, in a rifle. As info, if you mike the firing pins from a few of your bolt-action rifles, you'll find that their diameters run right around .060" and are close fits in their holes.. The average shotgun firing pin runs .080"-.090" and their fit tends to be quite sloppy, a significant difference.

Metalguy
.300 member

Re: Bushed firing pins? [Re: Ron_Vella]
      #252166 - 15/08/14 09:41 AM

Thank you. So nice to have all this experience on this site. I hope to start looking for a donor soon, if I could quit buying Mausers! But, when a Husky 146 rolls up you don't pass on it.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #252188 - 15/08/14 10:48 PM

Just for laughs, here's a pic of what to avoid!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Metalguy
.300 member

Re: Bushed firing pins? [Re: Marrakai]
      #252189 - 15/08/14 10:50 PM

WOW! I would say so. I'd be afraid the entire case would slip back in those giant holes!

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
      #252309 - 18/08/14 07:33 AM

Metalguy, Pay particularly close attention to what Ron Vella says, for he speaks the truth gained from considerable practical experience. Don't consider bushing strikers as too difficult or complex, for it, in reality, is a simple process, compared to all the metalworking you need to do for a conversion. It has been my experience that it is always best to bush strikers in any and all shotgun to double rifle conversions, unless already bushed with proper diameter strikers for double rifle conversion. Not doing so means that you are risking doing what happened to Ellis Brown at Pine Tech College, MN. which I saw happen on site. The event is described and pictured in his book. Elmer Keith once told me that this sort of thing happened to him, and he had to have a M.D. remove minute pieces of brass from one of his eyes as a result----not a pretty picture, nor a pleasant experience. Far better to bush strikers properly.

Metalguy
.300 member

Re: Bushed firing pins? [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #252314 - 18/08/14 02:00 PM

Well put. That's why I'm glad that the diversity of experience is on this site. Thanks all!

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #253715 - 19/09/14 11:51 AM

I realize this thread is old but new bushing are not that hard to make. I've made several. I use oil hardening drill rod heat treat then draw them back to a dark straw/blue
Bob

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2439

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com