Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Greifelt & Co Commercial Stutzen!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
heers68
.300 member

Reged: 11/04/08
Loc: north carolina
Greifelt & Co Commercial Stutzen!
      #250332 - 12/07/14 11:50 AM

Here is a rifle I just traded for, a light little small ring 7x57 Mauser by Greifelt. I have never seen another Greifelt in this configuration in my travels? The grip cap, butt plate and schnable end cap are carved from horn. Butternife bolt handle tucked in contoured to the side of the stock. Extra leaf on the rear sight base and very little engraving, very simple and slick! "Greif" logo to the bottom plate and butt plate. When do you guys think this one was made? I don't have proper screw drivers to disassemble at this time.. Has anyone seen another in this configuration by Greifelt?? Perhaps this was Greifelts answer to the Mannlicher Schoenauer??

As you can tell the claw mount uppers are State side remakes, but they are nice and tight and do feature the see-through feature as the period ones did..

I have one issue to work out on this rifle..the set triggers are not functioning as they should..when the bolt is cocked the front trigger will not trip the sear without the rear set trigger being pulled first then it functions "hair" as it should. What would cause this? Could improper reassembly by a novice do this? Any insight on the triggers would be greatly appreciated!!

THANKS, Kevin.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
heers68
.300 member

Re: Greifelt & Co Commercial Stutzen! [Re: heers68]
      #250353 - 12/07/14 09:39 PM

Almost forgot to add, this rifle has "C.K. Ansorg Hof a/Saale" engraved on the top of the barrel. Must assume this was the Retailer in Hof Baveria? Kevin.

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
      #250356 - 13/07/14 12:55 AM

Very nice little rifle.

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

heers68
.300 member

Re: Greifelt & Co Commercial Stutzen! [Re: Buchsemann]
      #250403 - 14/07/14 04:35 AM

Thanks Buchsemann, have you seen other bolt guns like this from Greifelt? Anyone have a Greifelt Mauser to show for comparison? I am thinking late 20's on this gun, what do you think? Kevin.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #250406 - 14/07/14 07:04 AM

This rifle was built on a small ring WW1 Kar 98AZ action during the interwar years, up to 1939. You have to take it apart and have a look at the proofmarks under the barrel. Unless very early, 1919-1921, there will be the proof date there. So there is no use speculating about a date!

underlever
.300 member

Reged: 01/02/07
Loc: N.S.W Australia
Re: Greifelt & Co Commercial Stutzen! [Re: kuduae]
      #250409 - 14/07/14 09:42 AM

there are 2 types of set triggers that look the same from the outside. One type allows the front trigger to both release the sear on the action and release the rear trigger if set to slap the sear. This type has a long blade on the front trigger when looked at from above when the triggers are out of the stock. The other type uses the front trigger to only release the set rear trigger. If your front trigger moves freely but you can't feel resistance at any point then it will be the second type. With this type of set trigger the rifle can only be fired by always setting the rear trigger first.

heers68
.300 member

Re: Greifelt & Co Commercial Stutzen! [Re: underlever]
      #250414 - 14/07/14 10:52 AM

Kuduae, Thanks for info on the action type, this is my first small ring Mauser and I must say it is nice and slim and light! I know you are well versed with these guns, have you seen a factory Stutzen like this from Greifelt before?

Underlever, I would be glad if this is the correct trigger functioning for this gun. The front trigger does indeed move back and forth under slight spring tension until it is set by the rear trigger. If the trigger was the first type not working correctly, how would the front trigger feel when pulled without being set? If this is the second type, where the second type triggers used during a certain period? (Earlier or later in the pre-world war 2 era?)

Thanks Guys! Kevin.

underlever
.300 member

Reged: 01/02/07
Loc: N.S.W Australia
      #250423 - 14/07/14 06:59 PM

To find out for sure it is best to get the metal work out of the stock. You will be able to see whats going on with the triggers and as a bonus you will be able to check out proof marks. This will let you know when the rifle was made and where it passed proof.
Bung up a few pics if you do pull it apart and no doubt the info will flow.

heers68
.300 member

Re: Greifelt & Co Commercial Stutzen! [Re: underlever]
      #250427 - 14/07/14 09:15 PM

THANKS Underlever, I need to buy some good screwdrivers! Would be great to see the markings there and find out what year this gun was built. Screw slots are VERY narrow on these screws, I will have to look somewhere like Brownells for gun specific tools I guess? Kevin.

Squarebridge
.300 member

Reged: 21/08/08
Loc: Tennessee
      #250726 - 20/07/14 02:16 AM

Lovely rifle. That's everything you need, right there. Too bad it has a dovetail though the receiver ring making it dangerous and worthless. (Send it to me for proper disposal.)

heers68
.300 member

Re: Greifelt & Co Commercial Stutzen! [Re: Squarebridge]
      #250730 - 20/07/14 04:06 AM

LMAO.. Squarebridge, Have you seen other Bolt guns by Greifelt? I cant find but 2 or 3 others on line??

heers68
.300 member

#251460 - 03/08/14 01:09 AM

Alright my friends, I got around to grinding some screwdrivers to fit like a glove and was able to get the action out of the wood on this Greifelt. ANY and ALL comments are welcome on these marks. Here are the marks on the bottom of the chamber....

heers68
.300 member

#251462 - 03/08/14 01:13 AM

This mark is a strange one to me, looks like a weak strike..oval with small lines coming off the top? and possibly supposed to be something in the oval?

heers68
.300 member

#251463 - 03/08/14 01:17 AM

Next, mark on the receiver right where the barrel shank enters the receiver, its a "12"...

heers68
.300 member

#251464 - 03/08/14 01:19 AM

Here's on the receiver in front of the magazine well...

heers68
.300 member

#251465 - 03/08/14 01:24 AM

Few more nice details to see..last 3 of the serial# inside the stock, and entire serial inside the butt plate.

heers68
.300 member

#251466 - 03/08/14 01:30 AM

HAVE TO ADMIT, I was wrong about the front trigger not working unset also! Looked at it while unassembled and all was good, just not pulling the trigger hard enough after taking up the slack! Takes a harder squeeze than the Otto Geyger 9.3x62 I have that's for sure!, and the Geyger doesn't have the slack to take up either. Differences abound on these hand made guns I guess. WEll, look forward to your comments on these marks!! THANKS, Kevin.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #251468 - 03/08/14 02:32 AM

This Greifelt rifle was proofed 12 35 = December 1935, obviously by the Suhl proofhouse. So the rifle is dated. 6.9 mm is the bore/land diameter of the barrel, not the groove diameter. At the proofhouse a cylindrical 6.9mm plug passed the barrel, while a 7.0 mm one did not. So the real bore diameter may have been as large as 6.999 mm. You have to add 2 times the usual groove depth of .1 mm = .2 mm to arrive at the groove/bullet diameter. The “7 mm” cartridges are named so for their bore/land diameter. “7 mm” bullets are actually 7.2 mm = .284”, as you know. The rifle was proofed for a nitro service load using the then popular 9 gramm = 139 gr steel jacketed bullet, essentially the same as the .275 Rigby High Velocity load. 57 (mm) is the case length, of course. The crowned letters stand for: B = proof load fired, U = inspected/viewed for defects, G = proofed for bullet use, N = smokeless proof.
I cannot make out the “crowned oval” stamp. It looks similar to the Liege, Belgium proofmark, but is most likely the mark of a Suhl barrelmaker. (import of firearms and parts was prohibited during the interwar years, and the Liege proofhouse applied this mark to complete firearms only) The other numbers and letters under the receiver, 12 and ND/5MYG/b are leftover factory internal control stamps from the original making of the Kar 98AZ carbine receiver at one of the German government arsenals, most likely the Danzig factory. They are unintelligible now.

heers68
.300 member

Re: Greifelt & Co Commercial Stutzen! [Re: kuduae]
      #251472 - 03/08/14 03:03 AM

THANKS Kuduae!, your the man! Kevin.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5127

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com