Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: H Scherping stalking rifle in 8x57R

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
m4220
.300 member

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: wa
H Scherping stalking rifle in 8x57R
      #249529 - 26/06/14 06:01 AM

Thought I would share some pic's of a newly aqquired Heinrich Scherping single shot, It has been refurbished but still deserves a spot in the safe along side of it's Sibblings

m4220

Edited by CptCurl (19/07/14 10:38 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Matabele
.300 member

Reged: 16/09/10
Loc: Zimbabwe
Re: H Scherping stalking rifle in 8x57R [Re: m4220]
      #249553 - 26/06/14 04:45 PM

Very interesting! I like the tang mounted peep sight.

chapmen
.300 member

Reged: 26/02/10
Loc: Middle of germany
Re: H Scherping stalking rifle in 8x57R [Re: Matabele]
      #249560 - 26/06/14 05:08 PM

Very nice rifle! Caliber? Would be great to see pics from the proofstamps.

--------------------
some fine old guns from germany :
www.jagdwaffensammler.de

m4220
.300 member

Re: H Scherping stalking rifle in 8x57R [Re: chapmen]
      #249584 - 27/06/14 01:13 AM

As requested, curious to hear your comments Chapmen.

Matabele, Heinrich Scherping was fond of the tang mounted diopter sights recessed into the tang as many of his guns were fitted with them in various design. I have been collecting guns from his shop for many years & almost all his double rifles & drillings are fitted with them. If you search Scherping and stretch the search out to about 10 years I think you'll find pic's of others that have been posted here on the site over the years.

m4220

Edited by CptCurl (19/07/14 10:39 PM)

ellenbr
.300 member

Reged: 25/08/07
Loc: North Alabama
      #249605 - 27/06/14 11:01 AM

An excellent image of a most interesting brace of golden Ks bracketed by a set of jagged parens. Must have been at least 2 mechanics who used the jagged K bound trademark.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

chapmen
.300 member

Re: H Scherping stalking rifle in 8x57R [Re: ellenbr]
      #249622 - 27/06/14 05:12 PM

I didnt see the headline........ those reinforced actions are very interesting and still an little mystery.

--------------------
www.jagdwaffensammler.de

Edited by chapmen (27/06/14 08:12 PM)

chapmen
.300 member

#249627 - 27/06/14 10:52 PM

To give the name an face, Scherping around 1907

--------------------
www.jagdwaffensammler.de

Edited by CptCurl (19/07/14 10:39 PM)

m4220
.300 member

#249630 - 27/06/14 11:31 PM

That picture was taken 6 years prior to his death. I have been studying him for many years & information is scarce. Would really like to see a picture of his shop in his heyday! I have a Lippert Waidblatt sold from his shop in 1936 & is one of the last things I have seen from his shop.

m4220

As translated from Schuss und Waffe, vol 1

Altmeister Scherping Hannover
"Hofbüchsenmacher Henry Schepring, Hanover, is we demonstrate to our readers today on Page 231 in the picture at least in name probably every weapons expert, and certainly the most German fighters known to the now in his 77th year of life standing champions were at the liters down in June 1857 in Hannover and there established his business that he has brought about great prosperity to his 50th anniversary on June 1 last year, had many admirers joined together from all parts of Germany and the birthday boy a splendid testimonial of May donated it to the old master to be granted even for many a year for the blessing of weapons technology to work "

Sporting Weapons Expert and Master Hunter Heinrich Scherping being 77 years of age in June of 1907.

He hung out his shingle on June 1st, 1857 and had a celebration 50 years later on June 1st, 1907 being labeled/regarded as one of the top German experts on sporting weapons as well as hunting. Well wishers from the whole of Germany on this occasion hoped that with advent and advances in technology that he would experience many more years in the business.

m4220
.300 member

#249631 - 27/06/14 11:43 PM

Knife on the right is an original, the one on the left is a Replica produced by Willi Ulrich in Solingen 1991 (5th generation sword grinder), also had him build a new sheath for the original.

m4220

Edited by CptCurl (19/07/14 10:41 PM)

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #249632 - 27/06/14 11:55 PM

Quote:

An excellent image of a most interesting brace of golden Ks bracketed by a set of jagged parens. Must have been at least 2 mechanics who used the jagged K bound trademark.

These marks, jagged parents here or jagged circles, may almost certainly attributed to the Suhl barrelmakers Klett, dynasty founded about 1777. As they came from a hammer mill the jagged circle may represent a water wheel, but it may also be a “speaking symbol” for the family name. A “Klette” is the German name for that nasty fruit called burr in English, so a circle with spikes around may symbolize a Klette = burr.
Several barrelmakers named Klett are listed:
Klett & Söhne: Heinrich Christoph I 1777 – 1807, Heinrich Christoph II – 1879, Hans Hermann 1822 -1906, Heinrich Christoph III 1868 – 1933
Klett AG: F.A. Klett +1901, later Hans Klett
Emil Klett, documented 1910 - 1939

kuduae
.400 member

Re: H Scherping stalking rifle in 8x57R [Re: kuduae]
      #249656 - 28/06/14 07:55 PM

Here is my attempt to a "translation" I once fabricated for m4220 of an article on Lippert's Waidblatt and the reproduction by master knifemaker Ulrich, :

(Both Lippert's and Scholz' Waidblatt designs are almost forgotten, Frevert's design now the only one known to most hunters. Some time ago I met a hunter and knifemaker who showed me his idea of "the ideal hunting knife". He was not aware of the fact that he had merely reinvented Scholz' Waidblatt, he had never heard the name before. Though Lippert's Waidblatt is forgotten too, I will try to beat the machine in translating. One of the more serious errors the machine made: the verb "abfangen", by word origin "to catch off", common dictionary use "to intercept" like as in "Abfangjaeger" = "interceptor fighter", but in hunter's use "to apply the coup de grace with cold steel")

He (W.Ulrich) was featured in Time magazine August 20/27 2001 “Why Europe's craftsmen are still the best” with a story on him named “The working German cutler Willi Ulrich”:
This special hunting knife was designed by by renowned artist & hunter F. K. Lippert ,who registered the patent application in 1936 for the Lippert's Waidblatt. In 2001 Willi Ulrich decided to revive this hunting equipment of knives & tools with a special production of 200 Replica’s as only about 12 originals marked with Scherpings name were sold from his shop. Only a handful of originals have been seen. These reproductions were executed in precise detail, each presentation box set is uniquely numbered and contains the “Lippertsche Waidblatt”, a smaller skinning knife and a bone marrow awl/sharpening steel, all contained in a fitted leather sheath. We have been able to obtain the advertisement from “Wild und Hund” hunting magazine 1937 as well as the artists concept drawing & the patent application provided with the Ulrich set. Another article penned by author Richard Schmeider titled “The Lippertsche Waidblatt, Rare and sought after”. The Waidblatt designed by Oberforstmeister Walter Frevert is the classic among cold steel hunting weapons. Few people know Friedrich Karl Lippert's however, but it had real benefits in practical use for hunting.
“In October 1936 the painter and hunter Friedrich Karl Lippert submitted to the Patent Office in Berlin a very special Waidblatt, which is meant to be superior to the usual Frevert's Waidblatt for applying the coup de grace to wild boar as it was better suited to easily penetrate the tough skin. With the double curvature of the sharpened back of the blade point Lippert wanted to ensure that the blade not only penetrates into the body but also the cutting of blood vessels on withdrawal and thus effecting a greater blood loss . Furthermore Lippert's Waidblatt was designed by an artist who designed the handguard shaped like a wolf hook, a mediaval trapping tool and heraldic symbol of Hanoverian hunters and foresters. (Unfortunately the artist gone wild put the handguard on wrong way.AE) The blade had a length of 230 millimeters, 38 mm wide at the handle and from 42 to 44 mm wide near the point. The blade back was 5 mm thick at the rear, at it's center, on the other hand, it was a massive 6.5 mm thick.
Enthusiastic supporters: Forstmeister Friess, a known hunting scribe too. Lippert's blade was sharpened at the back up to almost half of it's length so that the blade for the coup de grace on wild game is optimized. Superior master forester Rudolf Friess used such a Lippert's Waidblatt on his boar hunts in the Spessart forests and was excited. Friess was mistaken, however, when he saw it as a reproduction of the Old-Hanoverian "Couteaux de Chasse" The latter was merely a short "Hirschfänger", hanger in English, with a stout straight blade. As it was handmade to order. Lippert's design, however, never reached the popularity level of Frevert's Waidblatt. The rare specimens that were available through the Heinrich Scherping gunmaker in Hannover, only available made to order as an exclusive custom job are now difficult to find and most sought after collector's items”
More from the Ulrich documentation:
Why is Lippert's Waidblatt going to be reproduced?
The precision of a rifled barrel is unique.
Following this the sophisticated steel blade with a blade length of approximately 23-25 cm, has a width of 5 cm, the back thickness is 5mm, it is double edged with a rounded point to prevent to catch on ribs and hard tissue, to penetrate into soft organs (heart/lungs) The heart does not need to be penetrated, as death is caused by air in the ribcage cavity, causing the lungs to collapse, resulting in imminent and painless death.
These are quotations from the book of F. Karl Lippert which appeared in 1954
“Vom Schuss an” = After the Shot, Osterwald Verlag Hannover/Germany
The pro and contra of the coup de grace with the Waidblatt was for the maker of “Lippert's Waidblatt” not arguable.
Some comments from a contemporary hunter
As this kind of killing a wounded animal has many supporters, the “Lippert's Waidblatt” is even today still actual. The coup de grace by shooting is often impossible, therefore fast cold steel is a necessity. For this use the Lippertsche Waidblatt , developed by F.K. Lippert, is unequalled by causing air embolism instantly, even through thick Boar skin, as recommended by well known Forestry Commissioneer Rudolf Fries in the 50s, who’s experience in the past was gathered by numerous Boar hunts.
With the present increase of wild Boar hunting, the “Lippertsche Waidblatt” is the best cold steel weapon. (October 2001 by Richard Schneider)

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: H Scherping stalking rifle in 8x57R [Re: kuduae]
      #249664 - 29/06/14 02:02 AM

the wolfsangel was the first thing I notice on this waidblatt

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by CptCurl (19/07/14 10:41 PM)

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #249712 - 30/06/14 05:39 AM

Quote:

That picture was taken 6 years prior to his death. I have been studying him for many years & information is scarce. Would really like to see a picture of his shop in his heyday! I have a Lippert Waidblatt sold from his shop in 1936 & is one of the last things I have seen from his shop.

m4220

As translated from Schuss und Waffe, vol 1

Altmeister Scherping Hannover
"Hofbüchsenmacher Henry Schepring, Hanover, is we demonstrate to our readers today on Page 231 in the picture at least in name probably every weapons expert, and certainly the most German fighters known to the now in his 77th year of life standing champions were at the liters down in June 1857 in Hannover and there established his business that he has brought about great prosperity to his 50th anniversary on June 1 last year, had many admirers joined together from all parts of Germany and the birthday boy a splendid testimonial of May donated it to the old master to be granted even for many a year for the blessing of weapons technology to work "

Sporting Weapons Expert and Master Hunter Heinrich Scherping being 77 years of age in June of 1907.

He hung out his shingle on June 1st, 1857 and had a celebration 50 years later on June 1st, 1907 being labeled/regarded as one of the top German experts on sporting weapons as well as hunting. Well wishers from the whole of Germany on this occasion hoped that with advent and advances in technology that he would experience many more years in the business.

Perhaps a more easily understood translation would be:

"Hofbüchsenmacher Heinrich Scherping, Hanover, whom we present to our readers today in a photograph on page 231, is, at least by name, well known to every weapons connoisseur and doubtlessly to most German hunters. The master gun maker, who is now in his 77th year, settled in Hanover on June 1, 1857, and founded his business, which he has now brought to a state of full bloom. In honor of his 50th anniversary on June 1 of last year a large number of his admirers gathered from all parts of Germany and presented the honoree with a large honorarium. May the old master be granted even many more years to work to the benefit of weapons technology."

kuduae
.400 member

Re: H Scherping stalking rifle in 8x57R [Re: xausa]
      #249725 - 30/06/14 09:10 AM

Heinrich Scherping, born 1831, master 1862, died 1913. The business was founded in 1847 by master armorer Louis Eckebrecht. Heinrich Scherping married L.E's widow after the early death of Louis. Hans Scherping (son?), documented 1897 -1924 was a partner of Heinrich Eckebrecht. Another partner of the Scherpings was Johann Eckebrecht from Güstrow in Mecklenburg, died 1928. After Heinrich Scherpings death Heinrich Eckebrecht, born 1854 inherited the company. In 1929 he celebrated his 75th birthday. He was still alive in 1936. At that time the company was run by Walter Eckebrecht.

From "Der Waffenschmied" 1937(translation and remarks by your’s truly):
“The arms company Heinrich Scherping, Hannover, Grosse Wallstrasse 8, was able to celebrate their 90th anniversary on August 1. It is one of the oldest arms dealers in Germany. It was founded by master armourer Louis Eckebrecht, who was the grandfather of the current proprietor Walter Eckebrecht. After the early death of Louis Eckebrecht the widow married master gunsmith Heinrich Scherping, who soon was appointed as Gunmaker to the Court of the King of Hannover. (remark: King George V of Hannover himself had little use for guns as he was blind) By professional ability and great diligence he brought the business to best reputation. By inheritance the gunmaker to the court Heinrich Eckebrecht (eldest son of Louis Eckebrecht and stepson of Heinrich Scherping. The company was actually owned by Louis’ widow, Scherping’s wife!) took over the company, who had undergone a traditional thorough training as a gunsmith both in Germany and abroad and was active until a few years ago. The old tradition of the house Eckebrecht – Scherping is upheld by craftsman ability of the current owner Walter Eckebrecht at it’s best.”
So here is the "official history" until 1937.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10288

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com