Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Original MS blueing type?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
GG375
.333 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Brisbane
Original MS blueing type?
      #248958 - 14/06/14 09:06 AM

I should know the answer to this question ...........but I don't, and I've always wondered. My gunsmith reckons the old Mannlichers (1903, 1905, 1908, 1910 etc)were just caustic blued but I've always been under the impression they were rust blued. Does anyone know for sure?

I bought an old M1910 from Holts a few years back. Mechanically it's in great nick......has had little use etc but is in need of a refurbish. I plan to have her polished, reblued and the stock freshened up. I'd like to get the old girl back to as close as original condition as I can.

Any info on the original blueing type would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

GG

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Original MS blueing type? [Re: GG375]
      #248968 - 14/06/14 03:32 PM

IMO the main thing in this case isn´t how to do it but how it looks like. I have owned two Mannlicher Schönauer (there is still one in my corridor) and when looking deep blue color on their metal parts I suppose to use rust bluing method.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

fsrmg1
.300 member

Reged: 25/07/03
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Original MS blueing type? [Re: Igorrock]
      #248983 - 14/06/14 09:52 PM

I'm not an expert, but as far as I'm aware, most prewar (WWII) European sporting rifles were rust blued. I would go with that, and besides it looks a lot better than tank blued.

--------------------
Cheers,

Rich

GG375
.333 member

Re: Original MS blueing type? [Re: fsrmg1]
      #249021 - 15/06/14 09:00 AM

Yes, I agree that a good rust blue beats a caustic blue any day and that is most probably the way I will go when the time comes.

In my experience you can always tell when a MS has been reblued .............the bolt tension spring invariably gets blued along with everything else, presumably because it is difficult/impossible to remove.

Does anyone know about that spring? Can it be removed? If so, how do you go about it?

Cheers guys.

GG

2152hq
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/12
Loc: USA
      #249122 - 17/06/14 03:40 AM

The bolt tension spring is held in a place by a dovetail.

The rear end of the spring is dovetailed and slides into the corresponding cut in the frame.
What holds it in place from coming forward and out of the cut and what you have to by-pass to remove it is a small lug or extension on the bottom of the spring towards the front.
That lug sits behind the dead-ended cut in the frame so when the spring is in place or only slightly raised (as in when the bolt snaps past it,,the spring can't come out of the cut.

To remove, you have to carefully pull/pry the front end of the spring outward (to the right),,flexing the spring enough to clear that small lug on it's back-side. Then holding it out there, pull it forward and out of it's dovetail cut.
The Luger pistol uses the same idea in it's one piece spring/ejector and is held in place and removed the same way.

Flex it outward just enough to clear that lug,,no more. You risk breaking the spring if you pull it out too far of course. No need to anyway.
Sometimes it can be pulled part way forward and then it needs to be carefully tapped the rest of the way free from the back end.
Brass punch, polished tip small screwdriver, padded /smooth jaw pliers, ect.
It's not impossible,,they installed thousands of them and removed probably as many.

I've taken many of them out and put them back in w/o any issues. Just respect the part as a spring and don't bend it any farther than you need to to remove or re-install.

GG375
.333 member

Re: Original MS blueing type? [Re: 2152hq]
      #249124 - 17/06/14 05:00 AM

2152hq

Thanks very much for that excellent description on how to remove the MS bolt tensioning spring. I'm going to give it a go this weekend and see how I go.

What are your thoughts on the original blueing type on these rifles? Caustic/hot blue or rust?

Cheers.

GG

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #249129 - 17/06/14 07:19 AM

Thank you on a nice bit of info on that part removal, good to know in the future.

I have done some fantastic looking Caustic/hot blue jobs, alot of it is in the perp, just like in Car painting or painting in general I suppose ?

I'm not sure but I think Rust bluing has more longevity ?

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2398

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com