Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: South Aussie Red Stag

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
South Aussie Red Stag
      #248 - 30/12/02 04:45 PM

From: NitroExpressCom (Original Message) Sent: 11/21/2002 10:36 PM
A friend gave me a few photos he had taken on my last red stag taken. Posting them here for your viewing.

(Posing with the 11-point South Aussie Stag)

I was actually on a hunt for a balloted trophy Fallow deer on a property which my local deer hunting club is managing. But when I came across this red deer stag I didn't hestitate.

Several of the property owners in the area wanted all the red deer shot out. They liked having fallow deer in the area, but believed the reds damaged too many trees and also brought in more poachers. The reds originally escaped from a deer farm 50 kms away several years before and eventually moved into this area where they had been in the wild for at least five years.

The previous year I had been hunting on a neighbouring property and we had come across a nice 6-pointer stag with good body size. I would have taken him for venison plus a young stag skull mount for the wall, but the observor didn't know whether we were allowed to shoot them. When we left at the end of the weekend the property owner said' Yes, shoot everyone you see." So I missed out on a 6-pointer but took a nice 11-pointer instead a year later!

We had been hunting for several hours being out in the hills before dawn. We moved along one range of hills with cereal paddocks at their foot. In one of the "fallow" paddocks we sighted 40 Fallow deer but no good stags and moved on. Crossing a couple of open paddocks with interpersed trees to the parrallel range of hills we climbed the first hill.Still no more deer. Returning towards the camp we hunted along the ridge line which necessitated climbing up and down gullies which cut through this range with dry creeks leading down to dams.

(The stag on the ground showing the nicely heavy antlers)

Walking down one such gully after leaving a line of gums trees we entered a grassy area with a thick foiage tree near the gully bottom. Suddenly a stag rose from the ground from the side of the tree and looking at us turned at ran down into the gully and began to climb the opposing hill face. The ground to the left and right of the tree was open as was the opposing hillside. The creek was shallow with only low banks. So the stag had at least a hundred metres to go before reaching any cover. Climbing the hillside also slowed it down but it was facing directly away from me. I didn't hesitate and took a "Texas heart-shot" and as the stag stumbled and turned a little put another two quick shots into its chest taking out the offside shoulder. the stag was down and out.

That left the task of getting the animal out which was made easier by getting a landcruiser ute almost to the stag. The hillsides while quite open are littered with numerous large rocks which in the grass can not be seen. Gutted the animal and then walked back to camp for a vehicle. Met some of the other club members at the camp who were hunting on another property. They came out to help and also have a look at the stag. Back to camp and caped out the stag.

As this was only a cull, I still had a ballot for a Fallow trophy but didn't see anything else on the way in and out so was greedy . There was reports of a DS 220 plus Fallow stag in the area so I would have been tempted if I saw him!

By the way, another club member took a 12-pointer with less weight the same year and a friend took a 16-pointer of fabulous size also that same year. A bloody good year!

Nitro

"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."

First Previous 2-4 of 4 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

Very nice story and stag,

What is the chances of me bagging one of those if one day jopefully I come over to Aus ? Doens't matter if it is a 4 pointer just for the expereince.

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

Safari-Hunt

I could certainly get you onto a Red on a property here in South Aust. This property wouldn't be free range hunting though, but it is about 100,000 acres and has LOTS of deer. They operate like one of your SAf game farms.

Access to free range hunting is more difficult. The property I took this beast on was through a hunting club so you really need to be a participating member. But there are other properties as well. Will let you know via email.

Then there are also some large deer populations elsewhere in Australia.

What would be your priority goal - deer? red, fallow, sambar. Maybe a roo? Pigs, goats?

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

Nitro,

That is easy anything that I cannot get in RSA so it will exclude only Fallow deer from all the game you got there. But it is just a dream at the moment we will go over one day we just don't know which day : )

My wife stayed in Sidney for 10 months looking after het Aunts children so I would like to see what Aus looks like for myself

Edited by NitroX (23/05/11 01:31 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1998

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com