Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Breeds

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

Pages: 1
Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Breeds
      #24671 - 20/01/05 06:04 PM

What breeds is favourites for hunting in your area.Here in South-Africa we use a lot of dogs.Pointers,flushers,retrievers etc but I have noticed lately that the Weimeraner(Spelling???) is becoming very popular.A dog that i certainly would like to have as a hunting companion is a Rhodesian Ridgeback.They are intelligint,agile,fast and strong.And the bonus is that they are very good watch dogs wich is a pluspoint here in South Africa.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
vapodog
.300 member

Reged: 28/12/04
Loc: Nebraska USA
Re: Breeds [Re: Bigfive]
      #24727 - 21/01/05 08:29 AM

When it comes to hunting dogs in the United States I'd guess that if one removed all the Labradors and all the Germen short hairs he'd have removed 80% of the flushing dogs and 50% of the pointing dogs.

While a few Labradors are good watch dogs most would as soon help a burglar as growl at him. A german short hair might "point" him out in a line up at best.

--------------------

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #24734 - 21/01/05 08:50 AM

The most common bird dogs up here are undoubtably the English Setter. The other Setters (Irish and Gordon) are also popular, as are English Pointers together with German Shorthaired and Wirehaired Pointers.

We have (and have had in our family for about 100 years) English Pointers:

Other common hunting dogs here are the Norwegian Grey Moose hound, various hounds for hunting hare, and Dachs hounds for chasing roe deer.

Erik

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #24761 - 21/01/05 12:50 PM

Dantri

What were the fearsome monsters in your backyard?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Breeds [Re: EricD]
      #24771 - 21/01/05 03:49 PM

ErikD,

The English setters are catching on again here in the US. They were very popular at the turn of the 20th century, but gave way to the German breeds.

I have the most wonderful dog I have ever had the privilege to hunt behind...Ms. Scarlet, a beautiful and bird wise Llewellin Setter. I am now in my late 50s and grew up with German breeds...my dad brought the first Wire Haired Pointing Griffons West of the Mississippi and they were great gun dogs, real tough dogs without any quit in them. About 15 years ago he and I got our first English setters and it has been a love affair ever since.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Breeds [Re: NitroX]
      #24778 - 21/01/05 06:27 PM

The small one was a English Fox Terrier(died unfortunatly ) and the other one is a Chinese Chow X Ridgeback.He acts as my mothers personal bodygaurd.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#24795 - 21/01/05 11:56 PM

I thought you had two big dogs? But now I remember the Terrier which make up with personality what they lack in size.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Breeds [Re: NitroX]
      #24796 - 22/01/05 12:06 AM

Labradors are pretty common here and also some Golden Retrievers. They make nice family dogs as well as hunting dogs. Often owned by duck hunters.

I have a GSP and there are some of those around. Similar Weimaraners get around. Not many vizlas and ridgebacks are usually only owned as pets.

Fox terriers and Jack Russels for rabbits.

Various other breeds too.

The average person just has a dog as a pet and does not hunt them, even if they are a gun dog breed which is a same for the dog.

PS Forgot some people have greyhounds for kangaroos. As I am not sure of its legallity this is just what I have been told.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (22/01/05 01:26 AM)

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #24799 - 22/01/05 12:36 AM

Here in the southern Australian State of Victoria,Duck, Quail, Pheasant and Rabbit hunting accounts for the majority of hunting involving dogs, although some Deerhunters are using scent trailing hounds for Sambar Deer in the Alpine Regions.

For pure Duckhunters, the Labrador is still reigns supreme, but Chesapeakes are making an appearance on the Swamps. The Curley Coated Retriever is rarely seen nowadays.

Quail and Pheasant hunters primarily favour the HPR breeds like Brittany Spaniels and GSP's, and to a lesser extent Vizlas, Wiemaraners, English Pointers and Setters.

Some Rabbit hunters use English Springers, but usually one or more of the above breeds are pressed into service, along with Fox Terriers and Jack Russells, which are also used for Fox Hunting.

Since there is no Pig hunting to be had this far south, we rarely see the breeds favoured by Pighunters here.

Here is a photo of my Brittany pointing a Pheasant;

vapodog
.300 member

Reged: 28/12/04
Loc: Nebraska USA
Re: Breeds [Re: 470Rigby]
      #24806 - 22/01/05 02:30 AM

Funny how some things never seem to change....Labradors and Chessys for duck hunting, Labradors and golden retrievers as flush dogs on upland birds, GSP, GWP, Brittanys, English pointers, Viszulas....yes add a few others and the entire world has them because they just plain are the dog we love to hunt with. I was a little saddened to not hear of the beagle as I had one that was a terrific dog.....
It's time to go feed Treever....a yellow lab.

--------------------

wharf
.300 member

Reged: 02/08/04
Loc: aust
      #25073 - 24/01/05 10:00 PM

I love mongrel bitsas,they are very smart,very low maintenance.and there not scared of much either.one of my bitches is now 13years old,and she knows more english than a lot of people who live here.

--------------------
if it bleeds we can kill it.

jgttechjunkie
.275 member

Reged: 20/02/04
      #35256 - 31/07/05 11:07 AM

English Pointers are great if you hunt on horseback because they seem to be wide ranging. I was on a quail hunting trip a long while ago in Georgia and we followed the dogs around sitting in a truck drawn trailer - they used English Pointers. GSPs and Brittanies are popular in Western Canada prairie country for pheasant, sharptail or partridge hunting on foot. GSPs have the advantage of being versatile - most will retrieve ducks and the ones that don't naturally can be easily trained to. Of course they can't stand the cold like the Labs and others.

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Breeds [Re: jgttechjunkie]
      #40892 - 07/11/05 09:19 PM

I would have to go with the labrador. They are some of the nicest bird dogs I have ever met. Also very easy to train.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Breeds [Re: bulldog563]
      #40959 - 08/11/05 11:33 AM

bulldog,

I had my first opportunity to hunt behind a pointing Lab the other day. Talk about the BEST of both worlds! I know what my next dog will be...besides Scarlet's pups...

L2S

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

oupa
.300 member

Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Maryland,USA
      #51543 - 05/03/06 01:07 PM

"...A dog that i certainly would like to have as a hunting companion is a Rhodesian Ridgeback.They are intelligint,agile,fast and strong.And the bonus is that they are very good watch dogs wich is a pluspoint here in South Africa..."

The above brought back a fond memory of my first fancolin. Although I'd (barely) got him to stay at the house when I left, my friend's big ridgeback came charging past me at the shot. He succeeded in finding the bird in the tall grass - then proceeded to lay down and eat it! He was a great dog though. Huge, beautiful and the ultimate in protection. Unfortunately it was this last quality that resulted in his being poisoned by the farm workers he delighted in terrorizing.

I have a wonderful Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Many of the same qualities as the ridgeback - protective, devoted, strong and fearless - but in a breed more suited to our cold winters here. Either one requires an owner who understands the need to "be the boss."

Jungleboy
.224 member

Reged: 24/01/06
Loc: Rocky Mtns, USA
Re: Breeds [Re: oupa]
      #51554 - 05/03/06 04:46 PM

Hi,
Luckily, I live where there is an abundance of good bird
hunting. I have 2 German Shorthairs & 2 Black Labs. It
depends on the terrain & type of bird I'm hunting, on which
dog I take. I really like short coats, my friends with setters
& spaniels seem to spend a lot of time picking burrs out of
their dogs' coats.

Hopefully, this doesn't belittle other dogs, but here's a
picture of the Worlds Greatest Hunting Dog (Tic) with a
brace of pheasants & chukkars!

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Re: Breeds [Re: Jungleboy]
      #53726 - 31/03/06 11:29 AM

Good looking dog and shotgun! Nice mixed bag.

My current and last GSP (father,son,grandson) has similar markings. They are GREAT birddogs. However, now that I'm 50+, they seem to range further and faster than my legs are willing to do. So I got a pointing lab female....what a treasure and a pleasure!

--------------------
Hike the Grand Canyon, you will never be the same!

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Breeds [Re: AzGuy]
      #103086 - 21/04/08 10:42 PM

You must see a catahoula tail a big boar..... AWESOME! currs are fierce.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4468

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com