Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sako Finnwolf re-barrel

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Viking338
.333 member

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: Queensland Australia
Sako Finnwolf re-barrel
      #244102 - 21/03/14 01:59 PM

Hi all, I have a nice Finnwolf in .308 and was wondering if anyone had ever tried re-barreling to say .338 Federal/.308/08.
Yes it shots exceptionally well in .308 and you might ask why bother! But it is a thought I have had as I already own a .338 Federal in a bolt action and am quite impressed with the efficiency of the "little" round. I think they are a little rare in Australia as I dont see a lot around and it may be sacrilege to change it but I would value the opinion of some of the more learned amongst our great clan here on Nitro. The other part of the reason is I have found a Winchester Mag that with little modification will fit ( which i know keep a selection of in my pocket when pig culling for fast reloads) so I can mess around a bit and get it to feed with out destroying a genuine mag that you can't get any more.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Sako Finnwolf re-barrel [Re: Viking338]
      #244107 - 21/03/14 03:33 PM

Sorry don't know the answers, but a .338/08 sounds cool.

Can you post some photos of your Finnwolf in another thread? I was looking for one years ago, and still would be for the right price and if I wasn't broke at the moment.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: Sako Finnwolf re-barrel [Re: NitroX]
      #244147 - 21/03/14 10:58 PM

I bought one about 10 years ago that had previously been rebarreled to 358 Winchester. I traded it for a Belgium hi-power and a colt 1911 a few years ago. So at least you know it's possible.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Ruger_450
Banned

Reged: 10/03/13
Loc: WY & FL
Re: Sako Finnwolf re-barrel [Re: Rell]
      #244160 - 22/03/14 02:19 AM

The least expensive (best) way to go would be to have it rebored to 338 Federal (338-08). I had a 700 300 H&H redone to 400 H&H and even the cartridge marking was redone so that it looks original. It was still very accurate (1.5 MOA w/400 Woodleighs and a 1-4X scope). You don't have to reblue, fit the bbl to the stock, etc. etc.

My 400 H&H:

Edited by Ruger_450 (22/03/14 02:20 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #244193 - 22/03/14 10:03 AM

Since you already have a .338 Federal, how about a .358 Winchester or a .375/08 - not many of those around and a hell of a good round.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

FOsteology
.224 member

Reged: 27/07/04
Loc: Hondo, Texas
Re: Sako Finnwolf re-barrel [Re: DarylS]
      #244197 - 22/03/14 10:23 AM

I agree. Since you already have a .338 Federal boring out to .358 Win would be my choice.

Ruger_450
Banned

Re: Sako Finnwolf re-barrel [Re: FOsteology]
      #244202 - 22/03/14 12:09 PM

He does not have a 338 Federal, he has a 308 Finnwolf that he is thinking of putting a new barrel on.
While the 358 Win is a nice cartridge, with today's bullets like the the 185 TSX @2700 fps you can handle anything you would hunt with that class of cartridge. It would also leave a bit more meat in your barrel.

Killed a cow Elk with that combination from a Kimber lightweight. Broke both shoulders and went in into a clay bank.
No tracking require. She made great Elk Tacos.

FOsteology
.224 member

Reged: 27/07/04
Loc: Hondo, Texas
Re: Sako Finnwolf re-barrel [Re: Ruger_450]
      #244204 - 22/03/14 12:17 PM

Quote:

He does not have a 338 Federal, he has a 308 Finnwolf that he is thinking of putting a new barrel on.

Read his post again Larry...

Quote:

Hi all, I have a nice Finnwolf in .308 and was wondering if anyone had ever tried re-barreling to say .338 Federal/.308/08. Yes it shots exceptionally well in .308 and you might ask why bother! But it is a thought I have had as I already own a .338 Federal in a bolt action and am quite impressed with the efficiency of the "little" round.

I agree, the 185gr. TSX in the .338 Fed is an excellent choice. I also have a Kimber 84M Montana .338 Fed that I've used quite extensively to kill numerous feral hogs and axis deer. The 210gr. NP isn't too shabby in it either.

Viking338
.333 member

#244232 - 22/03/14 11:01 PM

Hi all, thank you for all your replies, I must admit I had not thought about .358 Win and yes that is an option. Not sure about reboring in Australia as I haven't looked around to see if any one does it. Yes thank you Daryl I hadn't thought of going to .375 either. I have a really nice 9.5x57 (.375) and it is a wonderful round so the .308 case would be a little behind in performance I guess but would be lovely to shoot. I have some thinking to do from all this advice but I really appreciate every ones input, thank you.
p.s. Sorry for my typo in the original post I meant .338 Federal/ .338/08 not ".338Federal/ .308/08" but it was more to do with already having dies etc that I thought of that calibre, but as I don't own any rifle in .35cal maybe I will lean to that to add another one to my list that I own. But I like the idea of the .375 as well, hmmm decisions decisions!!!! Haha thanks again one and all.

Ruger_450
Banned

#244250 - 23/03/14 05:48 AM

Yes you are correct. He does have one, but the rifle in question was a 308.

I'll be happy to call it a draw.

375Brno
.333 member

Reged: 18/10/05
Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Re: Sako Finnwolf re-barrel [Re: Ruger_450]
      #249734 - 30/06/14 11:57 AM

Just looking at this old post again.
Another consideration is the selling price of the 308 Finnwolf as is. Two have sold recently on Used Guns for $2,900 and $3,200 respectively. Well that was their advertised price anyway and their may have been some negotiation involved.
I am no expert on gun values however you may lose out on gun value if you make the changes. Does not make any difference of course if you never plan to sell.
Rick

Viking338
.333 member

Re: Sako Finnwolf re-barrel [Re: 375Brno]
      #249748 - 30/06/14 08:01 PM

Quote:

Another consideration is the selling price of the 308 Finnwolf as is. Two have sold recently on Used Guns for $2,900 and $3,200 respectively. Well that was their advertised price anyway and their may have been some negotiation involved.
I am no expert on gun values however you may lose out on gun value if you make the changes. Does not make any difference of course if you never plan to sell.
Rick

Wow that much!!!! I got it for a lot less than that from a deceased estate guess I scored
It is a wonderful rifle to use and really there is nothing wrong with it in it's original .308 for use in Australia. Plus I was looking through a box of magazines one day and found with a little filing I could make a certain Winchester one fit that hold 5 rounds instead of the original 3 of the factory one. But having said that I don't sell rifles I tend to hoard them so I doubt I will sell it but I guess if it's worth that much I might reconsider haha thanks for the advice Rick

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
      #249763 - 01/07/14 12:44 AM

Finnwolf's go between 1000 and 1500$ here in the USA .My friend bought an absolute stunner with a blonde stock and original box (308) for $1195 at a local gunshow here a couple of months ago

Edited by Deutsche_Vortrekker (01/07/14 12:44 AM)

Viking338
.333 member

Re: Sako Finnwolf re-barrel [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #249786 - 01/07/14 11:27 AM

Quote:

Finnwolf's go between 1000 and 1500$ here in the USA .My friend bought an absolute stunner with a blonde stock and original box (308) for $1195 at a local gunshow here a couple of months ago

Yes mine came with the original 3 shot box but I find it limits me here as I am usually shooting multiple pigs with it so it was cool to find the Winchester mags to adapt so now have a few more 5 shot ones to put in the pocket when having a "cull " on the quad bike. Also like I said being from a deceased estate I almost feel I "stole" it for what I paid, but do I feel bad "no way" haha thanks again for the comments.

TilleyMan
.333 member

Reged: 23/08/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #249977 - 05/07/14 01:36 PM

Quote:

Not sure about reboring in Australia as I haven't looked around to see if any one does it.

The last place that did rebores in Australia was Sprinter Arms in South Australia, now no longer offer the service unfortunately.

Unless there's someone who can do it in NZ I'd say the only way to get a barrel rebored now is to send it to the US... difficult and expensive

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#249992 - 05/07/14 07:22 PM

Quote:

Sounds more right. When I have seen them sold by serious sellers, the price has been around A$1600 or less in Aust. Seen them advertised for A$2000 plus. At any more than A$1600 I would go looking in the USA instead of Australia.

I was only interested in a .308 but could have bought .243's many times. But as said I am broke now so not seriously looking for a while. Plus have a old model BLR in .308 so don't need one anyway.

But if Viking wanted to sell his silly buyers here might pay $2500 plus, who knows.

I personally would go with your idea of a .338/08 and shoot it and have fun with it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
      #250030 - 06/07/14 03:51 AM

Viking338 ,There is a reboring rechambering outfit called JES reboring here in the USA that is very good ,very inexpensive and very fast. Jesse the owner has done 2 rifles for me and does most excellent work. I do not know about import/export to the USA but if you need information about JES I can send it to you. His website is actually www.35caliber.com

Edited by Deutsche_Vortrekker (06/07/14 05:58 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#250034 - 06/07/14 04:24 AM

It may not be necessary to have much or any paperwork to export and reimport a rifle barrel to and from Australia. At least that is the case in SA. Don't know about the USA, but I have had shotgun and rifle barrels sent from the USA to Australia with no formal paperwork through the post.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #250136 - 07/07/14 10:51 PM

John:
You should have had a B709A Import Form to bring a rifle barrel into Australia from anywhere overseas. If you have previously exported, eg for gunsmithing services, written permission to import must be obtained from the
Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department.

Here is the link to the appropriate Australian Customs information sheet:
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/ImportingFirearmPartsAccess.pdf

If Customs discovers a rifle barrel entering Australia without paperwork, and their check determines that a B709A has not been issued to the recipient, a very nasty letter threatening legal action will be sent to the intended recipient. If a B709A is forthcoming in short order, Customs will probably overlook the transgression and release the barrel, otherwise it is seized and presumably destroyed. In some cases an item may be sent back to the country of origin at the intended recipient's expense, but probably not in the case of a barrel.

FWIW I have always sent the original B709A (after making a few copies) to the overseas vendor to package up with the posted item and never had any trouble. Even had two barrels turn up in my PO Box by doing this: they had been "inspected" by Customs and simply put back into the post. Not sure if this would still happen today though.

Hope this info is useful.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Sako Finnwolf re-barrel [Re: Marrakai]
      #250148 - 08/07/14 02:04 AM

Marrakai

As I understand it, the barrel is not registered in South Australia, the action is. The opposite to what is the case I believe in Victoria.

I have never needed any prior approval to purchase barrels in SA eg for multi barrel firearms, only the first one with the action. On enquiry to the Police, I was told registering the barrels is at the option of the owner or not. I may register any barrels I take overseas prior to doing so, to make sure there is no problems with bringing them back in. ie if attached to the rifle action.

As for importation of barrels, I enquired prior to having shotgun and shotgun rifle barrels for a combination gun sent to me from the USA and was told the paperwork was not required at all. And neither was it, the barrels were delivered to my post office.

Customs in a state does refer to the relevant state laws however, so what is required in NSW or Vic may not be required in SA, and vice versa.

Now of course this MAY have changed in the meantime. Indeed I think there was some crap furore in the media some time back about the importation of parts including the most innocuous parts.

Disclaimer: No legal advice is being given in any post on NE. Consult a solicitor or the relevant authorities being acting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (08/07/14 02:09 AM)

Viking338
.333 member

#250180 - 08/07/14 01:19 PM

Quote:

Viking338 ,There is a reboring rechambering outfit called JES reboring here in the USA that is very good ,very inexpensive and very fast. Jesse the owner has done 2 rifles for me and does most excellent work. I do not know about import/export to the USA but if you need information about JES I can send it to you. His website is actually www.35caliber.com

Thanks for that link, I will make some enquiries as to export/import difficulty. Really appreciate the help and everyone else's comments.

buckbrush
.300 member

Reged: 23/08/07
Loc: Alberta
      #253262 - 06/09/14 01:44 PM

reboring hammer fordged barrels can be a problem.

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Sako Finnwolf re-barrel [Re: buckbrush]
      #257455 - 03/12/14 12:38 AM

It would be cheaper just to buy another rifle. It might be good for you.

CommandCar
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/10
Loc: East Coast, USA
      #257594 - 07/12/14 08:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Plus I was looking through a box of magazines one day and found with a little filing I could make a certain Winchester one fit that hold 5 rounds instead of the original 3 of the factory one. But having said that I don't sell rifles I tend to hoard them so I doubt I will sell it but I guess if it's worth that much I might reconsider haha thanks for the advice Rick

Can someone tell me which Winchester magazine box is adaptable? orig Sako finwolf mags are unobtainable. Thanks

Viking338
.333 member

Re: Sako Finnwolf re-barrel [Re: CommandCar]
      #257608 - 07/12/14 08:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Plus I was looking through a box of magazines one day and found with a little filing I could make a certain Winchester one fit that hold 5 rounds instead of the original 3 of the factory one. But having said that I don't sell rifles I tend to hoard them so I doubt I will sell it but I guess if it's worth that much I might reconsider haha thanks for the advice Rick

Can someone tell me which Winchester magazine box is adaptable? orig Sako finwolf mags are unobtainable. Thanks

Mine are Model 88, I filed the lip off in a couple of sections thin TIG welded then filed/ground the rest away then TIGed the rest up then filed and blued, plus just at the front a file across till it fit neat. My mate he just did a neat routing job on the stock and just filed the front piece looked real neat. He said once he got the bigger mags he wouldn't use the original any more so he didn't care about taking the wood out. Of course with the Winnie mag in it looks perfect anyway so I guess that is an easier option. Hope this helps

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8246

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com