Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info
      #241092 - 24/01/14 08:33 AM

475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info

Hell All,

I thought to share my new find, and would ask if anyone has more info on the A&M Rifle Co. I'm interested in their history and their period of manufacture.

I found this treasure on the Internet, and when it arrived yesterday, I was absolutely thrilled to see what I purchased.

It was listed as an; "Atkinson & Marquart Mauser .475 A&M Magnum". The description included; "...a Custom Gun built by A&M.....Fancy hardwood stock.....Oak leaf and acorn Basket Weave Carved..... w/ rosewood Pistol Grip and Forearm....." and a few other descriptors.

Here's what I received;

A Custom rifle built by The Atkinson & Marquart Rifle Company (as marked on top of barrel) - in original 475 A&M Magnum caliber (as marked on left side of barrel) - built on a French M300 BREVEX action - with a Custom Mesquite Stock - with Black & White Line accented Rosewood Forend and Grip Cap - with Oak Leaf & Acorn Basket Weave Carved by by Nils Hultgren. Rifle has a 22" heavy A&M Barrel with an integral Pendleton Muzzle Brake, and integral Forward Recoil Lug under the barrel. The sights are A&M Custom 2-leaf Express Sights w/ each leaf adjustable for both elevation & windage. Whistles and Bells include a Hand Engraved Floorplate with Cape Buffalo w/ a Custom Floorplate Safety Lock, a Canjar Match Trigger, and an Engraved Gold Diamond Monogram Inlay in the Grip Cap.

The Gold Diamond Monogram Inlay is engraved "J D L" - and the top of bolt release is engraved "1972 J.D.L." I'd like to know if anyone has an idea who "JDL" may have been. I'm sure he was in the Big Bore gun game in the Late 60's into the early 70's.

History, comments, opinions, are all welcome. I especially like the story associated with the 475 A&M Mag, and Fred Barnes, that appears in Cartridges of the World. (see red highlighted text)

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: buckstix]
      #241094 - 24/01/14 09:07 AM

Very nice rifle. I notice that the stock has a forward sloping comb, probably to prevent your head getting hammered with that small insignificant amount of recoil. Woodleigh bullets make a variety of bullets in that size range. It would be interesting to know the land and groove diameters.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #241106 - 24/01/14 03:26 PM

John Buhmiller pioneered the cartridge that became the .475 A&M, as well as the cartridge which became the .460 Weatherby. The .470 NE bullet in the .378 Weatherby case was one of his favorites.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: xausa]
      #241107 - 24/01/14 03:50 PM

Is that the one from North Pole? It looks familiar.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

buckstix
.400 member

Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: xausa]
      #241115 - 24/01/14 09:01 PM

Hello xausa,

Yes, the 475 A&M Magnum, is in fact the 378 Weatherby case with a .470 NE (.475 dia) bullet.

Apparently John Buhmiller also liked the 505 Gibbs, as seen in the last photo below.

I got an email yesterday indicating that the A&M Rifle Company supplied 17 caliber barrels for the O'Brien Rifle Company, and that Nils Hultgren did the custom stocks for O'Brien. I guess that explains the A&M / Hultgren connection for the stock on my rifle.

Now if only someone could tell me who J.D.L. was. My internet searches keep coming up with Jewish Defense League but I really don't think this rifle was built for them?

--------------------

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #241118 - 24/01/14 09:37 PM

The action is very good but stock and other details are not my "cup of tea".

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

buckstix
.400 member

Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: Igorrock]
      #241120 - 24/01/14 10:28 PM

Hello Igorrock,

Yes, Nils Hultgren takes a little getting used to. On the other side of the Atlantic, he did Religious Statues and Coo-Coo Clocks. That's why some say he was a little Coo-Coo when he went "Super Radical" with his Custom Stocks while at Winslow.

I personally like this one. Its a nice example of Nils' skill in stock making / carving, but not "too" over the top. I think the acorns in the border are meant as a reminder that when shooting this cannon, you'll knock the nuts out of the trees.

UPDATE --- UPDATE ---- UPDATE

I got the following info from a member on another forum. "Your gun is in the 1974 Guns & Ammo Annual, page 174."

Well isn't this something? Exactly 40 years ago my exact same newly acquired rifle was in a magazine. The article was about Big-Bore Wildcats written by Jack Lott. Unfortunately he does not give any details as to when, or for who, the rifle was made. The only info about my rifle was the information in the 3 captions. Maybe it "was" made for Jack P Lott, himself and someone got the middle initial wrong, engraving a "D", instead of a "P".

It looks like this article may bring the Nils Hultgren connection into question. I need to do more research. So I wonder, who was Shaw?

--------------------

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
      #241155 - 25/01/14 04:38 PM

Shaw barrels?

buckstix
.400 member

Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: kamilaroi]
      #241159 - 25/01/14 08:19 PM

Hello kamilaroi,

I don't think so. Shaw barrels is E.R. Shaw, from the east coast, Pennsylvania perhaps.

I think there as a California Shaw from back in the late 60's, early 70's. When I compare the basket weave carving to that on my Winslows, its a dead ringer, right down to the empty acorn pods. I'm thinking perhaps the screw-bean mesquite stock came from Shaw, but the carving is definitely Nils' handy work.

--------------------

buckstix
.400 member

#241305 - 28/01/14 12:27 AM

Hello All,

Here's a little tid-bit of interest for all, about my rifle. I was told that Armslist is full of crooks. Well, I just found "MY" rifle for sale in 2 different States on Armslist. One from Roanoke, Virginia, the other from Hawley, PA, Ohio. (where ever that is) Both listings show a real good price. The pictures and descriptions have been lifted from the original auction site from where I purchased the rifle.

When I contacted these fraudulent listers and asked for additional photos, they said no additional photos were available, but they gave me their mailing address for payment. There is a place on the posting for "flagging" them as "fraud" but clicking the tab hasn't resulted in the listings being removed.

Maybe the whole site is nothing but a fraud.

Here's the link ...... http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/search?location=usa&category=all&search=475+A%26M

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #244730 - 01/04/14 02:23 AM

Very nice, and representative of the time and the culture it came from. Have you shot it or hunted with it yet?

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

buckstix
.400 member

Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #245761 - 15/04/14 11:23 AM

Hello mehulkamdar ,

Yes, I've shot it and I'm working up loads. Its a lot of fun with a nostalgic feeling about it.

--------------------

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
      #246000 - 19/04/14 12:34 AM

contact ray atkinson of atkinson hunting adventures im pretty sure he,s who built the rifle ....paul

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: pjaln]
      #246029 - 19/04/14 07:14 PM

William T. Atkinson

Posted 2009-03-21 by Judy Wight Branson
The Daily Courier, Prescott, Arizona
Sunday, March 19, 2006

W. T. (Bill) Atkinson, age 81, passed away on Tuesday, March 15, 2006.

Bill was a longtime resident of Prescott. He was born Feb. 23, 1925, in Towbridge Township, Allegan, Mich.

He was nationally known as a premier rifle barrel maker and expert gunsmith. His barrels were used by target shooters and by the U.S. Olympic team. Bill also did work for Fort Benning, Ga., the Marine Corps Sniper Program, and made accuracy test barrels for Winchester.

In 1986, he was hired by Bill Ruger to manage the Prescott facility of Ruger Firearms. Bill was an especially valuable member of the staff, and chiefly responsible for the success of the P-Series handguns manufactured there.

In 2002, Bill retired and still enjoyed gunsmithing. He was a lifetime member of the NRA and Prescott Gun Club. He was a state champion small-bore and trap shooter.

Bill will be especially missed by his wife Dorothy; his three children, Dorothy McGovern, and John and Mike Atkinson; and his four step-sons, and his step-daughter.

A Military Memorial will be held at the Chapel at the V.A. Center in Prescott, at 1 p.m., Saturday. March 25, 2006

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: pjaln]
      #246032 - 19/04/14 07:48 PM

Quote:

contact ray atkinson of atkinson hunting adventures im pretty sure he,s who built the rifle ....paul

If he "built" the rifle it would be covered in BS but not much else of credibility. IMO. I could elaborate ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: NitroX]
      #246047 - 20/04/14 05:17 AM

i guess i was halfway right !!...paul

buckstix
.400 member

Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: NitroX]
      #246119 - 21/04/14 10:08 PM

Hello NitroX,

Please elaborate.

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #246248 - 23/04/14 09:37 AM

Quote:

If he "built" the rifle it would be covered in BS but not much else of credibility.

Long-time NE.com posters are having a chuckle at this!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

buckstix
.400 member

Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: Marrakai]
      #246440 - 25/04/14 01:34 PM

OK, so let me in on it.

--------------------

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #246589 - 28/04/14 04:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If he "built" the rifle it would be covered in BS but not much else of credibility.

Long-time NE.com posters are having a chuckle at this!

Ahaha, apparently 3 years is long enough to get it (maybe its just cause i've seen the aforementioned fellows style of posts etc on another website?)

--------------------

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: Ash]
      #247264 - 10/05/14 05:26 AM

I would swear I entered this information yesterday, but obviously not. A&M Rifle Co made barrels and did gunsmithing in Prescott, Az for many years. They parted and Bill Atkinson went on to head Rugers Prescott facility. They graduated right before me in ,I THINK, 1951 from TSJC. I bought my first barrels after school from them and for several years after. All the rifles I have seen that they built are of the finest quality displaying excellent workmanship and materials. I have one of their rifles at present that is very unusual. It's a 458 WinMag on a 1903-A3 action. It's only the second 458 I have ever seen on an 03 action. It has a very nice ,what appears to be birch, stock. Slim foreend with Schnabel. Steel grip cap with one screw, Buttplate is a Neidner checkered steel with widows peak. Nicely checkered with3 cross bolts - two in the normal position and one thru the pistol grip in the checkering. Crossbolts are covered with dark contrast plugs. Checkering is neat conventional pattern. Trigger is a Timney and safety is a Winchester 70 type. Rear sight is a Williams ramp style fully adjustable open sight,front is a long Lyman old style banded ramp with a long sourdough that has been filed down and brass insert reinstalled. Floor plate has a Large headed projecting part for removing rather than using a bullet tip. Scope mount is a well installed G&H with a Norman-Ford Texan that was I imagine a Lyman Alaskan originally (I received the rings with the rifle but no scope and they are 7/8"). The bolt handle has been neatly forged and bears the distinctive Les Womack stamp on the root. Front sling swivel is a barrel band with the band not going completely around the barrel and has been custom profiled. The thing that is totally unusual is that it has a 16"barrel that has every appearance of being the original length. Barrel is quite heavy with long full diameter area over chamber. I would have liked to use it in Africa as I really like short barrel guns my favorite 375 and 416 Rigby are both 21". Both Bill and Paul were significant persons in the gunsmithing world for many years and made substantial contributions to the industry.

buckstix
.400 member

Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: zimhunter]
      #247272 - 10/05/14 08:12 AM

Hello zimhunter,

I'm sure all would like to see some pictures of your rifle.

I know what you mean about liking short barrels. I have a Westley Richards "Howdah" Double rifle in .375x2-1/2 with factory 16" barrels. Its lightening fast.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=231484&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

--------------------

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #247274 - 10/05/14 08:54 AM

I actually have no photos of it but have never been able to display photos on this forum.Now if I were a double person that is the one I would like to have. It just has 'no nonsense' written all over it. It would definitely give me confidence I don't normally have. To be a quality gun on top of all that what more could you ask. You are a lucky person.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: zimhunter]
      #247276 - 10/05/14 09:50 AM

Wow! What a marvelous rifle!
Even with the little 2 1/2 inch case, I rather imagine the muzzle-blast would re-start your pace-maker...!

Apologies for missing your earlier threads buckstix, got busy with other things for a while there and missed a big chunk of NE.com. However, being an avid student of British sporting pastimes during the Raj, I'm enthralled by the 'howdah rifle' concept, and have posted on the subject before.

Very much looking forward to your reports from the range, and ultimately the hunting field.
Best of luck!

Oh...almost forgot....congratulations on your new A&M Magnum by he way: An American classic!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Edited by Marrakai (10/05/14 10:01 AM)

buckstix
.400 member

#247322 - 11/05/14 02:44 PM

Hello Marrakai,

Very nice article. It does a good job explaining the purpose of a Howdah "gun", wheather rifle or pistol.

When I emailed Westley Richards and obtained the factory letter authenticating the 16" barrels of my rifle, they told me that my rifle might be the only one ever built with such short barrels, as they did not recall ever having lettered another. They also opined that it was likely made for one of the Maharajah's guards as a "back-up" working gun for Tiger hunting, as it was not inscribed to a specific Maharajah.

So far, I've been keeping all the Tigers in Wisconsin in check.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22228

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com