Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Eduard Kettner 9x58R Double Rifle - New Addition - Questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
Eduard Kettner 9x58R Double Rifle - New Addition - Questions
      #236564 - 10/10/13 01:20 AM

Hello All,

I watched this Eduard Kettner 9x58R double rifle on Auction Arms for many months. I didn't have a 9mm double, so it interested me. This was the listing.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=366234502

Little by little, the seller reduced his price, and finally he accepted an offer, that made this an affordable "curiosity" that wanted to move to Wisconsin. I say curiosity, because I've never seen a "pop-up" cheek piece before. A clever idea for shooting with/without a scope. The claw mount bases are still there, but unfortunately no scope. I'm sure I'll spend the rest of my life searching the nooks and crannies of gun shows, to find a scope that will fit.

The rifle is in "very used" condition with several dings and slivers of wood missing. Likely a WWII bring-back that was mistreated when gathered. But this is mostly cosmetic, and those things that count, bore, lock-up, etc, are all very good.

With all the Belgium proofs, I'm assuming Eduard Kettner was only the seller. I think there are a couple of German proofs, but I'm not sure. That's why I'm posting this. Perhaps one of you can decipher the stampings. I'd be particularly interested to know the "year" of manufacture, and who might have made this rifle.

The barrels are marked "Eduard Kettner" on one barrel, and "Koln, A./RN" on the other. Anyone know what "A./RN" means? The seller listed the caliber as 9x58R "Sauer" - and "verified". I've soon found that there is absolutely NO brass or dies available for this cartridge. Apparently Sauer had his own line of cartridges based on his own idea of appropriate case dimensions. Custom dies from chamber casts would be 6 - 10 months in waiting. I don't think I can wait that long. I just don't have the patience.

Here are some pictures of the rifle.

Since I didn't have the patience to wait for custom reloading dies, and since I already own over 300 different sets of dies, I figured I could "mix & match" dies to get the 9x58R cases reloaded. But first I needed the brass cases. Here again, custom cases would be 2 - 3 months in waiting.

So, I decided to quickly more forward. There are only 3 cartridges that are even close the this strange caliber. The 303 Savage is the closest, with only rim thickness being an issue, but the case is .300" too short. Both the 303 British and the 30-40 Krag have rim thickness and rim diameter issues, and both are "oversize" and longer, but the 303 British is still .050" too short. The 30-40 Krag is therefor the "best" choice; but I didn't have any of those, so I had to use the 303 British. The loaded cartridges below, show the bullet's crimping groove in the correct position had the case been the required .050" longer.

Here are the 16+ steps required in making the brass for this caliber. I'll go through the steps for those that might want to make their own 9x58R brass someday, although I doubt many have rifles were made in this caliber.

1. Once fired 303 British case.
2. Resize in a 303 FL Die.
3. Expand neck with a 338 Win Mag die.
4. Expand neck with a 9.3x74R die.
5. Partial resize in an 8x58 FL die.
6. Use "shave die" (modified 303 Savage FL die) to reduce case head. (partial stroke)
7. Use "shave die" to reduce case head. (re-lube & partial stroke)
8. Use "shave die" to reduce case head. (re-lube & final stroke)
9. Remove curl with lathe.
10. Reduce rim dia with lathe.
11. Thin rim with lathe.
12. Partial resize (modified 30-30 Win FL die)
13. Use "shave die" to reduce case head. (bottom against rim)
14. Cut rim groove with dremel tool cut-off disk and uniform case head (if required) with file.
15. Full length polish case with 360g emery paper.
16. Resize neck & load using 35 Rem Dies.

This is the "shave die". It is made from a "cut-off" 303 Savage FL die. The sharp edge of the die, shaves the excess material that is too hard to re-form by sizing. It takes several strokes of the press with re-lubing the case between each stroke. This requires a lot of force and a good press.

After the shave die and case are cleaned to remove the lube, the shave die is used to hold the case for the the several lathe operations to the case head and rim.

A cut-down 30-30 Win FL die is used for partial resizing of the case body. I use a dremel tool with a cut-off disk to cut through the reloading dies. Sometimes it requires several cut-off disks to complete the job.

It took approx 5 hours to manufacture 37 cases. I started with 40, but had 3 losses along the way. Although there are a few minor cosmetic variations in the case heads and rims from case-to-case, I don't expect they will affect the function or accuracy when shooting the cartridges.

Later today, I plan to go to the range to test the loads and fire-form the cases for this new addition. Case volume and pressures are very close to that of the 35 Remington, so "starting" data for it was used in working up the loads for this cartridge. I'll keep you posted on the results.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Eduard Kettner 9x58R Double Rifle - New Addition - Questions [Re: buckstix]
      #236569 - 10/10/13 03:52 AM

George Nonte mentions a 9X58 1/2 Sauer in his book "Cartridge Case Conversions". He recommended using 32-40 brass, which resulted in a case .125" too short. For a full length case, he recommended trimming down a 9.3X72 case. He lists a rim diameter of .498", a head diameter of .433". a neck diameter of .385". He also describes it as a black powder cartridge.

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Eduard Kettner 9x58R Double Rifle - New Addition - Questions [Re: xausa]
      #236571 - 10/10/13 04:32 AM

Hello xausa,

Yes, the 32-40 is close, but its still .175" too short. And, the rim still needs to be reduced in both diameter and thickness. And, the head dia is only .424" dia, being .013" too small. As for reworking 9.3x72 cases, they would require shortening, annealing, and neck turning, which I would have gladly done, but couldn't find anyone that had them in stock.

--------------------

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #236575 - 10/10/13 06:20 AM

It seems that MIDWAY sells Bertram-made 6,5x58R shells, do you think they would be usefull ?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/702846/bertram-reloading-brass-65x58mm-sauer-rimmed-box-of-20

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Eduard Kettner 9x58R Double Rifle - New Addition - Questions [Re: Igorrock]
      #236576 - 10/10/13 06:33 AM

Hello Igorrock,

It would be useful, but not available until May, 2014. I didn't want to wait 8 months.

--------------------

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #236578 - 10/10/13 07:29 AM

OK. By the way, this would be very nice "mate" to yours rifle:

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=4247980

Kipplaufbüchse Miller & Greiss 6,5x58R, Swarovski 6x42 Abs. 4

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Eduard Kettner 9x58R Double Rifle - New Addition - Questions [Re: Igorrock]
      #236579 - 10/10/13 08:01 AM

Hello Igorrock,

Sorry not interested, it is missing a barrel.

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #236580 - 10/10/13 08:59 AM

KÖLN A/RN = Köln am Rhein = Cologne on Rhine (river).

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Eduard Kettner 9x58R Double Rifle - New Addition - Questions [Re: kuduae]
      #236582 - 10/10/13 09:52 AM

Hello kuduae,

Thank you for that information. Can you tell me anything about the Belgium proof marks? Is that one that looks like a small eagle with its wings spread, a German proof?

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

#236598 - 10/10/13 11:24 PM

Quote:

Is that one that looks like a small eagle with its wings spread, a German proof?

buckstix, I had to contemplate this a bit and had to restudy the original German proof rules of June 22, 1892. there are in fact three German stamps on your Kettner rifle: small eagle, crown/G, S in hexagon. But there are no German marks for the second or definite proof, crown/B and crown/U. The S in hexagon is the trademark of the Suhl Schilling forge which supplied most of the Suhl guntrade with barrel blanks and action forgings. The eagle represented first or preliminary proof of the rough barrels for checking material defects. Though most often found on rifle barrels, contrary to popular belief the crown/G proofmark does not stand for "gezogen" = rifled, but according to the original text for "Geschoss" = bullet. As the prescribed preliminary proof charge for barrels intended to shoot bullets was much heavier than the one for shot barrels, it was applied right at the first proof. The preliminary proof, W.W.Greener called it the "gunmaker's proof", was never mandatory, but a completed gun without was to be subjected to the higher pressure of the first on second/definite proof. So the barrels of your "Kettner" rifle were made in Suhl. Just to be sure, they were subjected to provisional proof there before being sent to Liege, Belgium to make the double rifle. The completed dr then underwent definite smokeless proof, PV mark, at the Liege proofhouse before being shipped back to Ed.Kettner. It was unnecessary to proove it again in Germany as the Belgian proof was accepted since 1894 and vice versa.

buckstix
.400 member

#236602 - 11/10/13 02:15 AM

Hello kuduae,

Wow, what a thorough and exacting explanation. I thank you ever so much.

Does any of this give an idea of when the rifle was made? I was guessing around 1920's perhaps.

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

#236607 - 11/10/13 06:38 AM

Quote:

Does any of this give an idea of when the rifle was made? I was guessing around 1920's perhaps.

My guess: Short time before or during the early years of WW1, say 1912 - 1915. After WW1, due to the political and economic situation in beaten Germany, up to about 1930, Germans could not import guns from abroad. As the German Mark (up to the staggering inflation of 1923) or the REntenmark/Reichsmark afterwards were not convertible, each Import had to be well founded and allowed for by the Reichsbank. So German gun catalogs up to 1930 listed some Belgian guns like FN Browning pistols and A5 shotguns, remarking "for export orders only". Further, the rare, proprietary 9x58R S&S cartridge was outmoded after 1918, replaced by the popular and more powerfull 9x57R.

buckstix
.400 member

#236610 - 11/10/13 11:02 AM

Hello Kuduae,

Thank you for the follow up. I have recorded your information to the provenance folder for this rifle.

--------------------

relics6165
.224 member

Reged: 15/12/12
Loc: USA
      #236612 - 11/10/13 01:54 PM

buckstix:

Here's some 9.3x74R brass:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=369724160

xausa
.400 member

Re: Eduard Kettner 9x58R Double Rifle - New Addition - Questions [Re: relics6165]
      #236613 - 11/10/13 03:17 PM

Quote:

Here's some 9.3x74R brass:

What he needs is 9.3X72R brass, a completely different cartridge.

buckstix
.400 member

#236614 - 11/10/13 05:41 PM

Hello xausa,

Thanks for the clarification to relics6165. As you stated, 9.3x74R is totally different than 9.3x72R. But, I don't need "any" brass at this point, the 37 pieces I made are plenty.

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #236615 - 11/10/13 11:56 PM

May I suggest sectioning one of your cases to see just how thinned out your brass is in the shaved area just above the web? Or, shave one of your ruined cases and section it.
Wouldn't want to see a case split or separation in your fine rifle.
Otherwise, a great tutorial on how you did it.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Eduard Kettner 9x58R Double Rifle - New Addition - Questions [Re: Huvius]
      #236930 - 20/10/13 12:10 PM

Hello All,

Here's an update. I found this set of claw-rings for sale on ebay. (see link)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/German-Sniper-ty...557#ht_38wt_902

They were very close to what I needed for the bases that came on the rifle. A few hours of hand fitting, and I'm ready to go. I'll hopefully get to the range tomorrow and post my results.

--------------------

buckstix
.400 member

#236988 - 22/10/13 10:29 PM

Hello all,

Well, I went out and did some shooting with the Kettner. Not a real tight group, but very good considering that I am still fire-forming the cases that I manufactured from 303 British.

The scope I installed is a Weaver 2-1/2 power w/ a Post-Cross-Hair reticle. Its a nice clear vintage scope and 2-1/2 power is perfect for a fast handling small caliber rifle. I had to make a set of ring/shims because the rings were German 27mm dia. (1.061") and the scope has a 1" dia tube.

Recoil was very modest, being about the same as a 30-30 carbine with heavy bullets. Ballistics are very similar to that of a 35 Remington. I'm sure the groups will get tighter as I develop a proper load.

Here's something that came as "real surprise" to me. Since this rifle has set-triggers for both triggers, I thought I would try setting them to see how that went.

Here's what I learned; NEVER - NEVER - NEVER, set BOTH triggers of a double rifle! When you do this, the recoil from the first shot, drops the "hair-sear" of the second trigger. This resulted in getting 400 grains of recoils as both barrels fire simultaneously, at the same time.

It scared the heck out of me, and I don't have a clue where the 2 shots went as I fired into a different target that I used for fire-forming the brass. Believe me, I won't do that again!

I'll be updating as I develop heavier loads. Next I'm going to try 220g and 250g bullets. One thing is for sure, this double rifle is a lot of fun to shoot.

Also, I picked up a nice new Browning case at our last gun show. This makes a nice set-up for the Kettner.

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #237039 - 24/10/13 10:53 AM

Buckstix:
I'm still chuckling re the double-discharge, but am reminded of a story told by Finn Aagard IIRC.
His friend was using a Mannlicher-Schoenauer with removable scope, complete with pop-up cheek-piece for when the scope was fitted.
The pair were stalking close in on a lion, and were spotted by the quarry so the friend set the trigger and raised his rifle to fire. At that point, he realized that the cheek-piece was still down so he pressed the button to "pop" it up.
Luckily, the accidental discharge went harmlessly into the dirt! ...and even more luckily, the lion decided to scoot rather than charge!

Any UD lessons learned that you can walk away from unharmed are cheap at twice the price!

Very nice double BTW, interesting chambering, and a good shooter to boot. I'm very jealous...

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
Re: Eduard Kettner 9x58R Double Rifle - New Addition - Questions [Re: Marrakai]
      #237042 - 24/10/13 11:38 AM

Bucksticks,
I am going to second what Huvius said regarding web thickness. It seems as if you are well versed in this type of thing so I am sure that you thought about the amount of metal that you have left.

I was loading for the 8x58r Sauer ( I presume related to your 9mm) and found that the best cases to use were 303 brit commercial. It seems that the commercial brass is undersized in the web compared to military and it left me with a bit more metal to work with.
Still ended up having case head separation after about 3 rounds in the cape gun that they were loaded for.

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Eduard Kettner 9x58R Double Rifle - New Addition - Questions [Re: Tom_H]
      #237043 - 24/10/13 01:39 PM

Hello Tom_H,

I've fired several of my cases 5 times and all is well. The head area is a snug fit with no resizing at that juncture; I'm only neck sizing. As expected, I'm continuing to be mindful as I work up different loads.

Hello Marrakai,

I like your pop-up cheek-piece story. I'm going to stop typing and check my rifle right now to see what happens .... back in a minute...... YES! ! ! .... I set the triggers, (safety on) and popped up the cheek-piece. Both triggers were no longer set; the sears dropped. That means "both" barrels would have fired at once. I can see where that might have happened if you had not brought it to my attention. THANKS

I did some load workup today, and tested the scope removal/return. With my conservative loading, I was really low on velocity with the 250 grain bullets, and just about right with some 220 grain flat nose loads. The groups were nothing special, but they did remain in the same place when I removed the scope, and then put it back on the rifle. It gives me confidence that when I store the scope off the rifle, and put it back on, the rifle will be shooting where the scope is looking. I'll continue to test this at each outing to be absolutely sure it is repeatable.

--------------------

xausa
.400 member

#237055 - 24/10/13 10:35 PM

Quote:

Here's what I learned; NEVER - NEVER - NEVER, set BOTH triggers of a double rifle! When you do this, the recoil from the first shot, drops the "hair-sear" of the second trigger. This resulted in getting 400 grains of recoils as both barrels fire simultaneously, at the same time.

An old friend (now deceased) of mine had a Krieghoff Teck O/U double rifle in caliber .458 Winchester Magnum which he loved to blast away with using full power loads. Once he was engaging in this pastime, shooting from the sitting position, when it occurred to him that he had been shooting the front trigger first the whole time, so for a change he decided to try shooting the rear trigger first. Unfortunately he forgot that he had already set the front trigger. The resulting double discharge slammed the scope so hard into his forehead that it bent the tube. Undeterred, he bandaged up his wound and kept shooting!

Incidentally, the recoil on a doubling double rifle is four times that of a single discharge, since the weight of the gun remains the same, while the bullet weight and the recoil velocity are doubled. As the energy of the recoil varies with the square of the velocity, two squared equals four.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #237094 - 25/10/13 05:39 PM

There truly is a vast amount of knowledge on this forum. What an interesting thread. Xausa, I had never considered what you say about the recoil on a doubled double. It might explain the "interesting" feeling I experienced when I doubled my .500 NE ! best

buckstix
.400 member

#237101 - 25/10/13 08:31 PM

Quote:

Incidentally, the recoil on a doubling double rifle is four times that of a single discharge, since the weight of the gun remains the same, while the bullet weight and the recoil velocity are doubled. As the energy of the recoil varies with the square of the velocity, two squared equals four.
-xausa

Hello xausa,

I did the calculations for recoil, and you are spot on.

200g bullet weight, 1900fps vel, 37g powder weight, 7.4lbs rifle weight = a recoil velocity of 10.9 ft/sec and 13.7 ft/lbs of recoil.

when the rifle doubled;

400g bullet weight, 1900fps vel, 74g powder weight, 7.4lbs rifle weight = a recoil velocity of 21.8 ft/sec and 53.8 ft/lbs of recoil.

That's 4.8 ft/lbs more than my 20-.577 Nitro that weighs in at 12.2 pounds.

Its no wonder that the little bugger bit me like it did. I am very fortunate that I didn't harm the stock, ..... and I will NEVER do that again.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 23580

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com