Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double Rifle builder

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
Jumbo
.224 member

Reged: 02/05/13
Loc: Zambia
Double Rifle builder
      #235272 - 07/09/13 04:03 PM

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice, does anyone have any knowledge/experience with Ralph Badenhorst?

He is building double rifles in RSA, they look quite impressive, but not being a fundi.......you are always nervous about committing vasts amounts of cash into a rifle which isn't what it should be.

Any advice would be great!

--------------------
Decisions made.......now to find the gun!
.450NE is still the dream, but along came the Krieghoff .470NE.........couldn't say no!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Matabele
.300 member

Reged: 16/09/10
Loc: Zimbabwe
Re: Double Rifle builder [Re: Jumbo]
      #235278 - 07/09/13 09:56 PM

Hi Jumbo!

I visited Ralphs workshop about 8 months ago, as I was interested in ordering a custom falling block from him. He showed me a 500NE built on a Ruger clone made in his workshop, that I had seen pictures of before and honestly was a little underwhelmed, the finishing was not quite there and it had a fair bit of slop in the action. Despite that I was going to go ahead and order a gun and discussed my concerns with Ralph who said he could fix all the lttle niggles I had. Several emails and telephone calls later over a period of several weeks to try and get a quote or estimated delivery time for my project, I gave up chasing after him as he just didn't get back to me with any figures or a time line. I have heard about some good reviews about his bolt action guns and believe he makes some very accurate target rifles, but there is a big difference between those and double rifles obviously. My impression was, and I could be completely off the mark, that he is mostly self taught and while there is nothing inherently wrong with that in itself it does mean there are going to be some teething problems before they perfect the product. Like I said just my $0,02. I did see his double at the Huntex show in Joburg and it looked impressive!

Jumbo
.224 member

Re: Double Rifle builder [Re: Matabele]
      #235281 - 07/09/13 10:43 PM

Thanks Matabele,

I am having similar concerns. He has apparently developed a PH versions, but I can't get a pic of it yet! (He is slow, making me wonder if it is actually there or not?)

I'm concerned about your comments on the single shot you saw.........I'm in Zambia and trying to decide if its worth going to see him next time I'm in JHB, or not?!

I'm looking for a .450NE, but options appear limited in the sub $10k range!

I was only driven this direction because of comments about the rifles he has built.

--------------------
.450NE is still the dream, but along came the Krieghoff .470NE.........couldn't say no!

Matabele
.300 member

#235288 - 08/09/13 03:09 AM

Ralph showed me some rough double actions when I went to visit his workshop, and I also have asked him numerous times to send me pictures of the completed PH double but I havnt received anything yet. I also didn't notice a "plain" double at his stand at the Huntex show, only the highly engraved stainless steel one. So, I have a feeling its still in development. That would be my main concern, especially if you are a PH buying this as a backup weapon...who knows you might be getting the first double out of his shop if you order one and I personally would want to wait to hear some customer reviews etc before laying down any cash, or relying on one for life and limb. Saying that If you are planning to head to Joburg anyway by all means stop in and speak to him face to face and see if he can actually put a rifle in your hands to have a look at, and explain his manufacturing methods.

Otherwise there is Sabi Arms in Nelspruit who can set you up with a Krieghoff, although Im not sure what they retail for.

Good luck and let us know if you find a good gun from Ralph or elsewhere.

Jumbo
.224 member

Re: Double Rifle builder [Re: Matabele]
      #235302 - 08/09/13 04:38 PM

Matabele,

He sent me pics of the engraved one, but in the pics it looked like some of the screws were really out of place (not engraved etc) did you notice anything on it when you saw it at huntex?

Has anyone got any comment about building a dbl from stainless? Never heard or seen it before, but it seems logical? Just a question.

--------------------

Matabele
.300 member

#235377 - 10/09/13 02:25 AM

I must say I didn't look too closely at it, I had my wife and son with me and they were putting on a brave face by that stage but were very keen to get going, so I didn't linger at the Badenhorst stand.

As for stainless I think Butch Searcy offers or has offered a stainless double although don't quote me on that. Perhaps someone else will chime in with some pros cons...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3177

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com