Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Steyr Zephyr scope mounting ideas needed.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
GG375
.333 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Brisbane
Steyr Zephyr scope mounting ideas needed.
      #234847 - 29/08/13 06:32 PM

After many years of searching I finally bought one of these lovely little .22's recently.

Would other Zephyr owners mind showing or describing your scope mounting systems please?

Especially interested in mounts that would be considered classic to the rifle.

Cheers.

GG

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Steyr Zephyr scope mounting ideas needed. [Re: GG375]
      #234883 - 30/08/13 04:47 PM

claw mount is a classic

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: Steyr Zephyr scope mounting ideas needed. [Re: lancaster]
      #234904 - 31/08/13 03:49 AM

Get a set of Kesselring mounts and try. Claw mounts will require a whole lot more work.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

GG375
.333 member

Re: Steyr Zephyr scope mounting ideas needed. [Re: Yochanan]
      #234921 - 31/08/13 06:39 AM

Yochanan

I agree with you. A claw mount system would be very costly, very heavy and there are already dovetails to use so why not try to use them.

I'm not familiar with the Kesselring mounts. Would you be able to post a photo of a set? Are they still made? Where would I get a set from?

Cheers.

GG

Yochanan
.375 member

#234923 - 31/08/13 06:52 AM

I have seen pictures of them in catalogue material but not live. Any alteration of the action would spoil the value and since Zephyr's are rare - I would not recommend any modifications. Start of with a set of Talleys while you scout for a Kesselring mount.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

dracb
.300 member

Reged: 28/02/13
Loc: British Columbia
      #234961 - 01/09/13 04:44 AM

These folks might be able to help you:
http://www.kesselrings.com/servlet/-strse-template/about/Page

GG375
.333 member

Re: Steyr Zephyr scope mounting ideas needed. [Re: dracb]
      #235010 - 02/09/13 08:13 PM

Thanks guys.

GG

Kiwi_bloke
.333 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: New Zealand
      #236279 - 01/10/13 03:41 PM

I saw one of these in the Steyr arms museum and I was very impressed. Some years later I saw an identical model in NZ, one of the early ones, for sale. Needless to say, I wasted no time acquiring it.

I have a scope and mounts that came off this Steyr Zephyr as I replaced them. The scope is a low-power Pecar of that era with a 3/4" centre tube or metric equivalent. The straight centre tube is blued like the rifle. I have an old 1950's/60's Shooter's Bible where the US agents were advertising them new and had a picture of presumably the Chief Executive polishing one. His scope looks much the same as mine. The size of it matches the fact that it's a .22, not too large.

The mounts are not claw but dovetail mounts of that period. They look the part. I'd have to check on the brand, but it's English, probably Parker Hale. They're a bit more complicated than your average mounts, nicely blued and also slim. I was about to sell this scope and it's mounts locally. It would suit any classic .22 of this era. The problem would be selling it between countries, getting permits and etc.

The problem with the Steyr Zephyr is that there's not much dove-tail on the front receiver and so, although I have a great set of mounts off a Walther Hornet, for instance, they just won't fit. From memory, the dovetail width might have been different too, something to be aware of. Ausinel mounts (and the various other names these go by according to company name changes), do fit and will get you out of trouble. They don't look too bad either. If you want to fit, say, a 4x32 / 4x40, they'll give you the extra height.

Before I had these mounts, I took the rifle for a hunt with unregulated open sights. I had no idea where they were sighted in for. I might even have stripped them to clean beforehand. I saw a hare at 100m and realized I wasn't going to get any closer before he bolted. I thought, I wonder how close this thing will shoot at that range. If the dust rose from within a meter I would have been happy just to have fired it and got a feel for the sight adjustment required for next time. Well, he fell over stone dead - perhaps from sheer surprize.

GG375
.333 member

Re: Steyr Zephyr scope mounting ideas needed. [Re: Kiwi_bloke]
      #236592 - 10/10/13 06:25 PM

Hi Kiwibloke

Thanks for taking the time to document your experiences with your Zephyr………..interesting info. Any chance of seeing a few photos of her with both the old scope and the new?

I know what you mean re the lack of dovetail length on the receiver end……………and I hate mounts/bases that jut out into the loading port.

Apart from the Kesselring mounts, it seems to me there really isn’t a set of mounts which would be considered “correct” for the rifle. The Kesselring’s don’t look very classy to my eye so I think in the end I’ll have a set of mounts custom made……….or at least a set of commercially available mounts customised to fit properly.

Got to decide on a scope first tho………………..it never ends does it

Cheers.

GG

Kiwi_bloke
.333 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: New Zealand
      #236623 - 12/10/13 06:09 PM

I think you'll find those Parker Hale mounts do look the business because they're so slim and also, because I suppose I had an idea of what original was looking at the old Shooters Bible. There may well be other suitable choices. I did try a German set but the dove tail was the wrong size and the scope hole was for metric. It was going to cost too much to change.

Yochanan
.375 member

Re: Steyr Zephyr scope mounting ideas needed. [Re: Kiwi_bloke]
      #236626 - 12/10/13 08:47 PM

GG,

Why not contact Talley and see what they can do for you. The Zephyrs I have seen had the milled in dovetails.

Cheers
Johan

--------------------

GG375
.333 member

Re: Steyr Zephyr scope mounting ideas needed. [Re: Yochanan]
      #241437 - 29/01/14 07:17 PM

Well, after much searching I finally found an acceptable (to me)set of mounts for the Zephyr. These are a standard mount offered by Recknagel.

Cheers.

GG

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8379

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com