Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Capreolus
.224 member

Reged: 11/07/13
Loc: UK
Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion
      #232487 - 14/07/13 07:23 PM

I wonder if you can help?
What calibres would work well in a .410 double rifle conversion?
There is a hole in the top barrel of the donor gun just ahead of the forearm so this will be a sleeving job.
I am working with a gunsmith on this project so he will be doing all the tricky stuff. This will be the first conversion project he has done and we are using this as a test-bed before moving on to a 12 gauge conversion based on a Simson SxS.
We will be trying to do this first conversion as economically as possible and calibre choice may be determined by what we can scrounge from the parts bin.
We can get hold of .22 rimfire barrels and .30 calibre takeoff barrels fairly easily but I am not sure that they would give us suitable choices for the action size.
In an ideal world would be your recomendations for calibre to be matched to a .410 frame?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: Capreolus]
      #232489 - 14/07/13 07:33 PM

Very interested to hear what you come up with here. I have toyed with the idea of doing up a 375 JDJ (374/444 Marlin) on a shotgun action - I think the .410 action would be too small, but there are plenty of good options out there. Would a straight old .303 Brit work on the .410 action - would be classic and effective.

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: gwh]
      #232491 - 14/07/13 07:46 PM

I would consider a 5,6x52R (22 High power). A grand old cartridge.

Cheers

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: Yochanan]
      #232492 - 14/07/13 09:13 PM

You might want to consider the .25-35 Winchester (6.5X52R) or the 6X52R Brettschneider (5.6X52R opened to 6mm). Both are relatively low pressure cartridges. The Brettschnieder was developed with insert barrels in mind. The brass for both cartridges can be formed from .30-30 Winchester cases.

I have a chambering reamer for the Brettschneider cartridge, which I would be glad to lend to you, assuming there would be no problems in mailing it over and back.

spinna
.275 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Top End NT Australia
Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: Yochanan]
      #232493 - 14/07/13 09:40 PM

22 Hornet, 25-20 or 32-20 come to mind
A nice little wildcat 30-20 (32-20 case necked down to take light 308 projectiles) could be the go if you have take off 30 cal barrels on hand.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: spinna]
      #232504 - 15/07/13 01:04 AM

I'd long thought one of the .410 doubles, with the full chokes rifled, might make an interesting 3" .40 cal black powder ctg. paradox for lighter, maybe 240gr. bullets. Never got around to doing this.

As to sleeving one, you'd need to bush the pins, I'm sure. Even a Hornet won't like a shotgun firing pin.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

bakposten
.300 member

Reged: 15/05/12
Loc: Norway
Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: DarylS]
      #232510 - 15/07/13 02:24 AM

6*70r no doubt! Some danish gunsmiths made one on a 410 action a couple of years ago, looked great. Don`t have any pictures though..

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: bakposten]
      #232511 - 15/07/13 06:02 AM

I built one maybe 20 years ago on a Zabala .410 in .22 Hornet. It turned out very nice. There were photos of it on this site but I imagine that they are long gone. I have just begun building another one on a Zabala .410, this time in calibre 6.5x57R.

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: Ron_Vella]
      #232515 - 15/07/13 07:25 AM

I realize you may not be able to scrounge for 35 cal barrels but maybe the 30 barrels can be rebored to handle 357 magnum rounds.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Capreolus
.224 member

Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: Rell]
      #232519 - 15/07/13 08:19 AM

Hi Everyone thanks for all the suggestions and offers of help.
I had thought my choices were going to be limited to .22, .38 and 30-30 but you have opened up many more possibilities.
Would 30-30 work or does it develop too much pressure?
6,5x57R would be pretty amazing and it might be possible to find some old Swedish Mauser barrels.
I will try to post some pics of the donor action and you can let me know what you think.

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
      #232521 - 15/07/13 09:09 AM

I have oft thought of a decent Hammer 410 getting the "chop" for a set of 303 barrels would be a fine woods loafing rifle. Could/should be light enough to not be silly with a squib/rook load as well as a 215gr. for Elk or Elg'

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: Caprivi]
      #232523 - 15/07/13 12:04 PM

Tradex in Montreal has a case of arsenal-new Swedish M38 barrels. I bought two and that's what I'm using for the 6.5x57R. Be advised that the 6.5x55 has a larger base diameter than the 6.5x57R so it's necessary to cut about 1/2" off the breech end in order to clean up the chamber with the 6.5x57R reamer.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #232530 - 15/07/13 02:20 PM

Quote:

I built one maybe 20 years ago on a Zabala .410 in .22 Hornet. It turned out very nice. There were photos of it on this site but I imagine that they are long gone. I have just begun building another one on a Zabala .410, this time in calibre 6.5x57R.

He of little faith ...

TOP: Her little sister, a .22 Hornet that I built on a CIL Model 172, .410 bore. These guns were built for Canadian Industries Ltd. by Zabala of Eibar, Spain. I absolutely love this little rifle. I regulated it with Lyman, 50 grain, cast, flat-nosed bullets at 1600 fps. It kills rabbits, and squirrels, and coyotes, with far more authority than a .22 LR.

CENTRE: The still incomplete .303. I'm still playing with the regulation to get it just right, before rust-bluing her.

BOTTOM: Her big sister, the .450 #2 NE that I built on a BRNO ZP-49, 12 bore. There is also a set of 12 gauge barrels which are fitted to the same action. This one goes to Africa with me next year to take another buffalo.

Photo # 1 shows them top to bottom in the order in which I built them,
Top is a 12 gauge rifle
Second is a .22 Hornet
Third is a .450 #2 Nitro Express
Bottom is the .303 British

This photo is from the opposite side and the order is reversed

Same as above. I hope that these photos give even a slight idea of the beautiful, deep, lustrous blue that I was able to achieve with this product. If you've been thinking about trying it, go ahead. It's not rocket science at all, just follow the directions and keep everything 100% oil and grease free.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=122636&an=&page=0&vc=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Capreolus
.224 member

Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: NitroX]
      #232533 - 15/07/13 03:20 PM

Those doubles look fantastic!
Each year I go on a driven boar trip to Croatia and as a Brit I can hear the race memory of the .303 calling to me - Now where can I find a worn out Greener that needs bringing back to life!!!
We can brobably get hold of .303 barrels without much difficulty - can I just check that the .410 action would be up to the job?

Ckhobart
.275 member

Reged: 26/06/13
Loc: Reno, NV
      #232535 - 15/07/13 06:31 PM

Interesting caliber suggestions! I look forward to your progress sir

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
      #232548 - 16/07/13 12:03 AM

Quote:

We can brobably get hold of .303 barrels without much difficulty - can I just check that the .410 action would be up to the job?

Ron's is on a 20ga as is noted in the link.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=122636&an=&page=0&vc=1

But has stated that his forthcoming 6.5 is on a .410frame, obviously the .303 is off the same headsize but at a reduced operating pressure.....So ????

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: Caprivi]
      #232552 - 16/07/13 12:22 AM

http://kwk.us/pressures.html

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: DarylS]
      #232553 - 16/07/13 12:48 AM

John,
Thanks for finding those photos. I guess sometimes being a "computer nerd" has its advantages, LOLOLOL! I had forgotten how nice they looked together. When I've finished rust bluing and stock finishing on my 9.3x74R I'll post a photo of six of them together.

Best,
Ron.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #232563 - 16/07/13 06:48 AM

Nice looking doubles there Ron.

HistoricBore
.300 member

Reged: 28/09/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: Rule303]
      #232569 - 16/07/13 07:37 AM

I have a Midland hammer .410 double shotgun (made in the 1920s) that was converted by its original owner, a 'proper' gunsmith, for his own use. He sleeved it using old SMLE .303 barrels (hence the left-handed rifling) and chambered it in .32-20, so it is really a double Rook rifle. It is regulated for loads around the speed of sound. I did load a few up to 1900 fps but the regulation went to pot and it was reluctant to open because of the primers flowing back around the firing pin.

It is very happy with both nitro and smokeless loads. It is the hungriest rifle that I own because whenever I turn up at the range someone will say "What's that?" "I've never seen one of those before" "Can I just try a couple of shots with it..."

It is a project that is well worth doing. SMLE barrels are thinner than No. 4 .303 barrels, so make better tubes. I know experts will say that the rifling is too fast for that calibre, but it shoots!

Depending on where you are in Britain we could meet up at Bisley for a viewing - send me a PM. Of course you will need to have "Good reason" to get it onto your Firearms Certificate depending on which county you live in. .32-20 is easy to load and components are easy, really. Don't try it on wild boar, though; they will get really WILD!

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #232571 - 16/07/13 08:01 AM

If it were my gun to do, I would not go over a .22 Hornet or a 32/20 Winchester. Both are very handy woods rifles and do fine on varmits. Bob

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: HistoricBore]
      #232572 - 16/07/13 08:04 AM

"What calibres would work well in a .410 double rifle conversion"

Don't get carried away with yourself, too much enthusiasm is not a good thing, when you are considering such issues. I would say that, for nitro cartridges, you should do as Ron Villa has done, and stick with .22 hornet, or anything else with similar, or less, rearward thrust to action, while allowing for chamber, barrel, diameter comparable to your .410. That means that .303 is out of the question. You would be well advised to first read W. Ellis Brown's book on converting double shotguns to double rifles.

Capreolus
.224 member

Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #232600 - 16/07/13 08:01 PM

If I stop looking at the pictures of Rons guns for long enough the capacity for rational thought returns slowly to me.

As a first project I think the Hornet is a very sound and useful selection. So I will begin assembling the necessary parts.

Because the top barrel is holed it will have to be sleeved but the bottom barrel could work with a liner or insert.
This would certainly give us a greater range of techniques to try out but I would be happy to get your thoughts on what would work best or be easiest (KISS Vs Murphy).

As this project becomes a reality I am just starting to realise the full extent of my ignorance and lack of knowledge - so your suggestions and expertise are massively appreciated and please keep the suggestions coming.

Question:
If an insert is centrered at the breech and at the muzzle of the of the host barrel is it possible to fit an eccentrically bored collet on the thinner middle part of the liner that can be rotated to provide a means of regulating the point of impact?
Presumably the distance of the collet from the muzzle would also affect the angle of deflection?

If any of you are UK based and are planning to visit the CLA Game this weekend it looks as though the weather is going to be hot and it would be a real pleasure to offer you a cold beer on the Hunting Agency stand on Gunmakers Row

Once again thanks for your help on this.

Mike

doubleriflejack
.333 member

#232612 - 17/07/13 04:24 AM

"Because the top barrel is holed it will have to be sleeved but the bottom barrel could work with a liner or insert."

Yes, but no need to reinvent the wheel. If job is worth doing, it is worth doing correctly, nicely, and your final product will be worth more in the end, meaning I strongly suggest that you forget about lining any barrel. Cut both barrels off, forming a nice compact monoblock, bore & ream that monoblock to fit in pair of rifle barrels. Brown and Ron Villa thread part or all of the monoblock and barrels to screw and soft solder them in place. That threading isn't necessary, as simple soldering alone will work quite well, especially for something like a .22 hornet. Again, get W. Ellis Brown's book on conversions, 2nd edition only for updated version of book (it is available online). That will answer your regulation questions and many others as well. Also, do search of Ron Villa's postings on his conversions, on this website, as he shows step by step pictures of the operations for conversion. Ron knows what he is doing, obviously, and I highly recommend paying attention to what he has said and done regarding this topic.

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #232613 - 17/07/13 04:26 AM

"Because the top barrel is holed it will have to be sleeved but the bottom barrel could work with a liner or insert."

Yes, but no need to reinvent the wheel. If job is worth doing, it is worth doing correctly, nicely, and your final product will be worth more in the end, meaning I strongly suggest that you forget about lining any barrel. Cut both barrels off, forming a nice compact monoblock, bore & ream that monoblock to fit in pair of rifle barrels. Brown and Ron Villa thread part or all of the monoblock and barrels to screw and soft solder them in place. That threading isn't necessary, as simple soldering alone will work quite well, especially for something like a .22 hornet. Again, get W. Ellis Brown's book on conversions, 2nd edition only for updated version of book (it is available online). That will answer your regulation questions and many others as well. Also, do search of Ron Villa's postings on his conversions, on this website, as he shows step by step pictures of the operations for conversion. Ron knows what he is doing, obviously, and I highly recommend paying attention to what he has said and done regarding this topic.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9224

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com