Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Leupold VX-HOG on my CZ550 458WinMag

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Leupold VX-HOG on my CZ550 458WinMag
      #229970 - 12/05/13 08:12 PM

Fitted the Leupold using Warne QD mounts. I had issues with the mounting (front/rear not contacting the receiver the same ie rocking before tightened) - not sure I've sorted it out yet. Was optimistic and only took 15rnds to the range (only took 6rnds with my 375H&H with new Warne mounts) - should've taken more. Anyway, it certainly looks sexy:

The reticle has "PIG PLEX" written on/in it:

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Leupold VX-HOG on my CZ550 458WinMag [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #229973 - 12/05/13 08:36 PM

mauserand9mm, looks good!
Did you try & fit the bases tight to the receiver first before tightening the rings, otherwise they will rock about?
I've got QD Talleys, yep they take a bit of setting up too, but really are worth it!
The only problem I have with the Talleys is the holding bolt for the QD levers are too short & by the time you open them enough to release the scope off the receiver they fall apart dumping springs, levers etc everywhere - not happy Talley!
Apart from that they go back to virtually same point of impact!
All the best lining up on a pig - got the right tool for the job!
93x64mm

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Leupold VX-HOG on my CZ550 458WinMag [Re: 93x64mm]
      #229974 - 12/05/13 09:37 PM

Very nice.

I really like the look of those scopes on rifles.

Very sexy.

Well done.

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Leupold VX-HOG on my CZ550 458WinMag [Re: 93x64mm]
      #230009 - 13/05/13 01:06 PM

Quote:

mauserand9mm, looks good!
Did you try & fit the bases tight to the receiver first before tightening the rings, otherwise they will rock about?

Yes, this is what I did, but when it shot so badly, I had a closer look at everything. (I had fired two groups of five shots at that stage, and things were improving but it looked to be "double grouping"). Second lot of five shots (numbered for sequence fired):

I checked that everything was tight (ring screws, base levers) and they were. I noticed that I could see light under the RHS of the front base. Sure enough when I undid the levers, I could rock the scope on the bases. So I went all loosened everything and attached the mounts to the rifle, making sure that both front and rear contacted the action properly (ie no rocking) and then did up the ring screws. When I undid the levers, it still rocked!!! So I did the procedure again and basically got lucky. I couldn't believe that the the rings were actually twisting the scope tube.

It still seems to take some settling. The next five shots seem to show it wandering toward a common point, but I ran out of ammo at that stage - last week I sighted in my 375H&H with only 6 rounds when I installed Warne QDs on that rifle, so I thought that taking 15rounds for the 458 was being conservative.

The last five shots after getting the proper base contact (numbered for sequence fired):

This is my third set of Warne QDs and the first two sets didn't give me any issues like this.

[PS: I meant to post this in the Big Bores forum - no wonder I couldn't find it this morning.]

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2250

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com