Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: pocket fly fisherman 1/2 scale rig

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Fishing

Pages: 1
CowboyCS
.333 member

Reged: 05/10/07
Loc: Kansas u.S.A.
pocket fly fisherman 1/2 scale rig
      #228649 - 13/04/13 10:45 AM

28 years ago I learned to fly fish from a very kind elderly Asian gentlemen on the streams of the Wasatch mountains(Wyoming/Utah border). 20 Years ago my older brother(ten year older then me) and I were out fishing the Big Horn River(Wyoming) and he was spin casting(he didn't know how to fly fish) and I was fly fishing the same stretch of river...needless to say I was slaughtering him at a rate of about 5 to 1 on catching trout. The next day he asked me to teach him how to fly fish, it's rare thing when a younger brother gets to teach an older brother anything.

20 years later every time we get together now we go fly fishing...today is his birthday so I decided this year I would make him a custom fly rig. I built the reel from scratch and then modified an old fly pole I had to make it a small 4 piece.

This is the results of my work:
1/2 scale pocket fly rod and reel
the spool is 1.5 diameter, machined from solid brass stock with a clicker drag and adjustable foot(allows for changing the balance point).
The rod is a 4 piece that measures under 16" when broken down and measures 4' -6" tip to tail when assembled.

Basically a 1 weight 4 piece fly rod and 1 weight fly reel. It won't be much good on open water or big rivers but it should be a fun pole up in the mountains on narrow streams and tight brush.

Thanks for letting me share.

Colin

--------------------
The Bill of Rights- Void were prohibited by law
Stolzer & Son's Gunsmithing

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: pocket fly fisherman 1/2 scale rig [Re: CowboyCS]
      #228651 - 13/04/13 11:20 AM

That old "Fenwick" by the looks of it, will probably cast a 4 or 5 wgt line just fine.

Looks great.

Could you carefully turn the corks down a tich? With the reel seat being so large compared to the reel, that might not be possible - a bit though would fresh up the corks and tapered to a very slim front end would be good.

Sand paper works wonders on corks.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: pocket fly fisherman 1/2 scale rig [Re: CowboyCS]
      #228652 - 13/04/13 11:28 AM

Colin,
You have a lucky brother!
That's anice little outfit.
I also love to flyfish. I was taught by my father when I was very young. Started on bluegill with a cheap bamboo rod, low end reel and store bought poppers.
I have continued this tradition by teaching both my daughters and my son flyfishing and tying.
Today we mainly pursue smallmouth bass and northern pike with large 8 weights in Iowa and the boundary waters of northern Minnesota. But it is fun to grab my little 4 wt and fish bluegills in the spring.
Thanks for letting us have a look.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1443

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com