Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The New Heym Express

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
CWJ1898
.275 member

Reged: 28/01/09
Loc: LA, USA
The New Heym Express
      #225430 - 17/02/13 12:50 PM

I am considering the purchase of the updated Heym Express (as modified by Mr. Ralph Martini) in .404 Jeffrey and am inquiring if anyone may have experience with the new rifle? Stunning is the only description I can come up with as I view it on Mr. Martini's web site. Greatly appreciate any feedback our members might have.
Respectfully,
CWJ

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: The New Heym Express [Re: CWJ1898]
      #225431 - 17/02/13 03:03 PM

Good looking rifle, price seems in-line

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Edited by CptCurl (10/06/13 10:12 PM)

Azone
.224 member

Reged: 17/07/11
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: The New Heym Express Rifle [Re: Caprivi]
      #225435 - 17/02/13 03:40 PM

I had the pleasure of examining one of Ralf Martini's Heym Express Rifles (in .375 H&H) a few weeks ago at a safari trade show in Calgary, Alberta.

A few observations: First, the rifle was sleek and very comfortable to hold. It came up easily and pointed very naturally (several times I brought it up with my eyes closed - opened my eyes and Ralf asked: "is it lined up?" - oh, my, yes - the sights were lined up neatly every time. Ralf explains that the natural feel to the pointability of the rifle is a function of his stock design. (I'm becoming educated in the importance of stock design...).

The rifle was very comfortable to hold, well-proportioned and a pleasure to handle. The action was unusually smooth (I cycled it several times while mounted to the shoulder and it seemed almost effortless. It is, without a doubt, the smoothest-cycling "African" magazine rifle that I have ever handled, bar none.

On my last safari (2011 in Zim) a Ruger RSM Safari Magnum in .375 H&H saved my hunt when my primary rifle developed a mechanical problem. Since then, I've had (and since sold) a Kimber Caprivi in .375 H&H, a Brno 602 in .375 H&H a CZ 550 in .416 Rigby and another Ruger RSM in .416 Rigby which I still have.

With all of that in mind, Ralf Martini's Heym rifle exhibits various "perfections" on all of these rifles - the proportions of Martini's Heym seem to be “just right” - not too heavy, not too light, unusually smooth-cycling and consistently natural to point. Everything went where it was supposed to - cheek rest, trigger finger where it belonged and the forearm was well-proportioned (not bulky) and seemingly effortless to hold. It's like it's an extension of oneself. What's not to like?

Suffice to say that I ordered one of Ralf Martini's Heym Express rifles, in the classic .404 Jeffrey chambering no less. Expected delivery is late May - early June. The rifle will come with 30mm QD rings (Ralf appears to have a preference for Rectnagel accessories... (can't argue with that).

This is an exceptional rifle. I believe it to be well worth the price and look forward to using it on my next return to Africa.

Postscript: I visited Ralf at his shop in Cranbrook, British Columbia three days ago. He had just received a shipment of several Heym Express Rifles and one Heym double rifle in 450/400 3" NE. I'll just say that was a very informative lesson in the nuances of stock design. This gentleman knows his craft intimately. (I can't wait for my Heym Express Rifle to arrive!)

CWJ1898
.275 member

Re: The New Heym Express [Re: Caprivi]
      #225436 - 17/02/13 03:58 PM

Caprivi,
My thanks for posting the photograph! My Mauser Magnum in .450 Dakota needs a "lighter" stablemate and thought the Heym would be a splendid companion. I have always admired the .404 Jeffrey cartridge and as a Heym Express standard chambering it appears to be the route to take. Hell and back reliability seems to be the Heym's mantra. I have seen its selection for polar bear defense on the Norwegian island of Svalbard well north of the Arctic Circle- tough environment indeed. Since its introduction in the early 1990s, the Heym Express seems to keep moving along albeit quietly. I was told a few years ago only 20 or so were imported into the United States annually. Considering the rifle's design parameters and reputation that seems to be a bit out of order.
Respectfully,
CWJ

CWJ1898
.275 member

#225437 - 17/02/13 04:08 PM

Azone,
Thank you so very much for the response- greatly appreciated! Although I expected nothing less from the hands of Mr. Martini and Heym, it is fantastic to receive feedback on a "face to face" experience. My gratitude,
Respectfully yours,
CWJ

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #225570 - 19/02/13 08:12 PM

Looks lovely, and a great cartridge too. best, Mike

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: The New Heym Express [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #231289 - 18/06/13 11:07 PM

If anyone is interested I have Pierre van der Walt's review of the Heym Express rifle (not Ralf Martini's custom version) from the African Sporting Gazette vol.7 issue 4. If anyone can post jpeg scans or a pdf then it could be put on the forum...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The New Heym Express [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #231322 - 19/06/13 04:17 PM

Jabali,

PM sent.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The New Heym Express [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #231892 - 30/06/13 06:14 PM

Quote:

If anyone is interested I have Pierre van der Walt's review of the Heym Express rifle (not Ralf Martini's custom version) from the African Sporting Gazette vol.7 issue 4. If anyone can post jpeg scans or a pdf then it could be put on the forum...

African Sporting Gazette Vol 7, Issue 4 - "Heym Express Rifles" PDF

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11038

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com