Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Blaser doubles?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: 4seventy]
      #21999 - 09/12/04 12:37 PM

Me too!!!!!!!

Don't own one, don't want one, won't have one.

In my humble and misguided opinion they are made to distract people with money from clogging up the market by buying decent double rifles that good people like me ought to be able to buy.

Best to all,
CptCurl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: CptCurl]
      #22000 - 09/12/04 12:47 PM

We have one fellow that visits here occasionally. Maybe he can comment and he seems very happy with his. Of course he is so big, he could use his as a cricket bat if need be and send the charging lion off for 'four'!

Alan

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do like them, don't you !

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: NitroX]
      #22002 - 09/12/04 01:10 PM

NitroX,

Thanks for the heads up. On second thought, I'd like to know where to shop for one. I might have been too hasty!

Cheers,
CptCurl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: CptCurl]
      #22011 - 09/12/04 01:45 PM

If faced with the choice of hunting with a mauser or model 70 bolt gun or a blaser double, I would take the bolt gun every time. Heck, I would even hunt with a Rem 700 instead of a blaser.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: 500grains]
      #22012 - 09/12/04 01:51 PM

Oh, Ohoooo, 500grains,

That big guy is looking for you now.

CptCurl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #22015 - 09/12/04 03:11 PM

In reply to:

Alan

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do like them, don't you !

Actually I'm thinkin' along the same lines as the Capt.
I also may have been too hasty and that Blaser is lookin' better every minute!
Lord knows we'd hate to upset the big fulla!

Blaser doubles, yeah luv 'em!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#22018 - 09/12/04 04:09 PM

No I meant all the !!! in your post!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (10/12/04 11:01 AM)

4seventy
Sponsor

#22025 - 09/12/04 05:00 PM

In reply to:

No I meant all the !!! in your post!

Heh heh heh.
I did put a few in didn't I.

Now forget blaser for a moment and talk whitworth!!!!!

(NitroX - edited - corrected my hick typo error in the quote)

Edited by NitroX (10/12/04 11:02 AM)

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #22054 - 10/12/04 10:36 AM

4seventy all my mistakes are noted, and marked down as black marks on my soul! It seems I have been mislead, or is it BEING mislead. Anyway, my opoligies!

Christa, I have learned my lesson, and I may have to buy one of those ugly things, or get tarred & feathered!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #22076 - 10/12/04 07:03 PM

Hell Mac, there is absolutley no need for apologies and if anyone is to be tarred and feathered it most likely will be me!

Mac I was kinda hoping you'd respond to my whitworth express questions on the other thread.
I think you have owned one or more and would like to hear your comments and opinion on them.
You wouldn't believe it but I've gone and bought one, sight unseen, but examined by a friend who says it is as new.
And this after swearing I'd never buy another magazine rifle!
I've never handled one so am trying to get some feed back on them, good or bad.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#22085 - 11/12/04 02:21 AM

In reply to:

Mac I was kinda hoping you'd respond to my whitworth express questions on the other thread.
I think you have owned one or more and would like to hear your comments and opinion on them.
You wouldn't believe it but I've gone and bought one, sight unseen, but examined by a friend who says it is as new.
And this after swearing I'd never buy another magazine rifle!
I've never handled one so am trying to get some feed back on them, good or bad.

4seventy , I have two Whitworth African Express rifle in my vault as we speak! One is in origenal wood, with a Luepold Veri-XII 1.5-5X20 scope,in WARNE QD rings & bases, and the express sights. The other is in a synthetic stock, with a BUSHNELL TROPHY 3-9x40 Also in the Warne bases. Both are chambered for 375 H&H, and Both have been to Africa. The synthic stock one is set up for hunting in the coastal areas of Alaska where if you hunt TEN days in Sept,you will hunt TWELVE of them in the rain! The other one, in the wood, I use in Africa exclusively now.

I refitted both with TIMMNEY triggers, and an after market Mod 70 type safety. I have had zero trouble with either of these rifles, but had heard of some folks haveing trouble with the triggers, so changed them. Both rifles are extremely accurate, and 300 yd, boiler room shots, on caribou, or a zebra are easy money.

I have another 375 H&H rifle, in a FN Mauser rifle, and I can't see it is any better than the Whiteworth. I like them, and am sorry they are no longer available NEW in the USA.

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
      #22093 - 11/12/04 03:55 AM

The Mk 10 Whitworth is a good action/gun. The action is a 98 Mauser made in Jugoslavia (Serbia) and the barrels are German Bohler. The usual problem with the Mk 10 is that the actions are not pollished up quite well enough on the inside. The feeding ramp usually needs pollishing to prevent cases from scratching and the rails also need pollishing. I have never had any problem with their trigger (which is adjustable) but there are many custom triggers available out there. All in all, a very good value.

I thought Daly was importing it again, but the Daly's I have seen are pieces of sh*t.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: Peterb]
      #22102 - 11/12/04 06:39 AM

In reply to:

I thought Daly was importing it again, but the Daly's I have seen are pieces of sh*t.

Daly is importing the zestava action(MK X) but not WHITWORTH RIFLES ! The Whitworth rifle's actions I have, and have owned are, and were finished very well. It was the Interarms MK X, and Alaskan that were rough, and the 375 H&H Alaskan models split stocks as well! Not enough recoil lugs!

--------------------

Peterb
.333 member

#22141 - 12/12/04 11:33 AM

The Whitworth's were Mk 10's and I always pollished the feeding ramp on them as well. I don't know if the difference was just a name or some quality difference, but it was a Mk 10 nonetheless.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#22163 - 13/12/04 03:49 AM

In reply to:

The Whitworth's were Mk 10's and I always pollished the feeding ramp on them as well. I don't know if the difference was just a name or some quality difference, but it was a Mk 10 nonetheless.

The actions were the same Zestava action when they left the factory, but they were not the same after Whitworth finished thiers. The MK X Zestava action (MK X) used in the interarms Alaskans were as they came from the factory, rough! The stocks were not bedded well, and were made form cheap blanks, and finished with polyurathane. The barrel recoil lug was not used, so the 375 H&Hs often split stocks. I've owned five Whitworth 375 H&H rifles over the years, and had zero trouble with any of them. Every Zestava action I've seen where any trouble was encountered were the one put together in the USA, by Interarms.

PeterB , you know as well as anyone there has never been a factory action, or out of the box rifle that couldn't use some polishing, here, and there! The Whitworths are quality for the price paid, and when you consider a $5000 bolt rifle can still need some tuneing, I don't think the need for a little polishing, is a deal breaker, in an $500 rifle! I could be wrong, I have been before, but I've shot a lot of very large mean game with a couple of Whitwroth Express rifles, without a scratch, on my butt, or a falier to feed. To Top this off I have never seen one of the Whitworth Ex 375H&H rifles that wasn't a tack driver.

--------------------

Peterb
.333 member

#22182 - 13/12/04 12:31 PM

I agree they were accurate, but I never saw one that did not scratch the brass all to hell without pollishing the feeding ramp.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#22212 - 14/12/04 10:04 AM

In reply to:

I agree they were accurate, but I never saw one that did not scratch the brass all to hell without pollishing the feeding ramp.

Could be! It is quite evident, you have worked with a lot more of them than I have, and I guess I've just been lucky!

--------------------

Peterb
.333 member

#22215 - 14/12/04 10:38 AM

I just wish we could get the danged things again. There are a few Sears Mod 50's out there for cheap FN 98 actions, but for long magnum actions or mini Mk 10's, you are up a creek now. The Mk 10 really had a nice niche, but the new Daly's are such poor crap, it is unreal. The gradual drop in quality of Daly's since the Prussian shotguns is simply unreal. The Lindner was the best made boxlock ever made IMHO. Now they even sell guns made in Turkey. Gag me with a spoon.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #22221 - 14/12/04 03:07 PM

All the Whitworths we sold did, and my present MK 10 does with a vengeance...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Astor
.224 member

Reged: 06/12/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: J_T_AMMONS]
      #22286 - 16/12/04 12:00 PM

After all the "bad mouthing" of the Blaser I am almost afraid to admit that I own one (9.3 by 74R). While I agree that they look a bit "Germanic" they do shoot. With the ability to self regulate the right barrel you can shoot any load you want. The regulation process is easy and controlled by 3 screws on the right barrel. I shoot the Norma "Oryx" 286 grain load and have regulated the rifle to 1" at 100 yards. I would agree that for most double rifle "purists" the asthetics of the rifle will be called into question but, it is light (7.7 lb) extremely accurate (for a double) and has the ability to accept a quick detachable scope mount (which DOES return to zero - it's German you know!). It is also reasonably priced. So there!!!

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: Astor]
      #22289 - 16/12/04 02:25 PM

Astor,

I've always thought of myself as a purist, but I have to admit that I do like the Blaser drilling concept. For function it can't be beat IMHO.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

vigillinus
.300 member

Reged: 11/12/03
Re: Blaser doubles? no, how about a triple? [Re: luv2safari]
      #22294 - 16/12/04 03:51 PM

A point about Blasers is that their drilling can be had as a three barrel 9.3x74R on special order. This is an interesting proposition.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #22297 - 16/12/04 06:17 PM

Astor
Welcome to the forum. As to your Blaser double rifle... APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE. I shoot Blaser R-93 and a K 95.
Many people critize a Blaser Product, however I have yet to see one that did not shoot and work perfectly.
Anytime you have a double rifle shooting 1" at 100 yards you know you have a very good rifle. I have handled Blaser Drillings and their double rifles and they handle as well as any of the new made doubles. I do wish their 375 H&H had a little thinner bbls and weighed a bit less.
If you shoot different loads than the Norma 286 grain, how do they regulate?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#22304 - 17/12/04 12:03 AM

Astor

Welcome to the NE.com forums.

If you are happy with your Blaser double that is all that matters.

I find sometimes the 'purist' attitudes quite funny, it that a rifle not absolutely perfect it is certain to get a hunter killed oneday. When comparing modern firearms to those of old, and the increase in their functionality I wonder how any of the early explorers and ivory hunters ever survived into old age.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: NE450No2]
      #22317 - 17/12/04 10:07 AM

In reply to:

Anytime you have a double rifle shooting 1" at 100 yards you know you have a very good rifle.

Very accurate indeed and in fact a "one minute" double.
However I am looking for a lot more than just accuracy in a double rifle before I would consider it to be a "very good rifle".
Because I do a fair amount of hunting with my doubles, some of which includes back up for clients hunting big aussie game, I have some other priorities.
Feel, fit, weight, ballance, opening/closing ease and smoothness, sighting, trigger pulls and trigger position, non auto safety, barrel cocking, total reliability etc, are all important to me.
If a Blaser could provide all that I'd be ok about owning and shooting one!
Oh, and I almost forgot, for me, a very good double rifle would need to have ejectors!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 377 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8573

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com