Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser A Modell and other

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Mauser A Modell and other
      #210907 - 15/06/12 02:02 PM

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=3903277
Mauser A - Modell im Kal. 10,75x68, Double Square Brigde

the things that dreams are made of

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=3904036
another 10,75x68 with 1000m rear sight
I read the serial number as 70990

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=3903266

original Mauser stutzen in 8x57 IS with a ZEISS Ziel Klein scope on original Mauser scope mmount and Greener safety

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by CptCurl (12/11/12 01:30 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Re: Mauser A Modell and other [Re: lancaster]
      #210909 - 15/06/12 03:13 PM

Burgsmüller M 21 in 6,5x54 Kurz with a short action
http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=3888110

gunmaker address Helbig Freiburg on the barrel, Zeiss Ziel mi scope with Absehen 1.
barrel length 58
stock was cut in two pieces at the end of WW 2 and glue together later

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (12/11/12 01:30 AM)

justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
      #210917 - 15/06/12 09:39 PM

The 6,5x54 is made by Schmidt & Habermann of Suhl.
Interesting find.

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Mauser A Modell and other [Re: justcurious]
      #210918 - 15/06/12 09:49 PM

could be yours
I cant buy another 6,5mm

--------------------

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
      #210928 - 16/06/12 12:33 AM

Can someone identify the action used on this S&H rifle.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Mauser A Modell and other [Re: dons]
      #210931 - 16/06/12 12:52 AM

In my eyes it could be early m98 short action (maybe bottom opened single shot) without a thumb cut. Seems that the bolt have some BRNO m21 parts and a hand operated cocking device.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Mauser A Modell and other [Re: Igorrock]
      #210951 - 16/06/12 06:20 AM

Re the Schmidt & Habermann, Suhl, Mod.21 6.5x54 Mauser short rifle: Just got it, EURO 261.-. The Schmidt & Habermann odel 21 is quite rare. I have only encountered four such rifles in all my life.
Here is part of a text I wrote some years ago for the German Gun Collectors Ass., www.germanguns.com :
Yet another German bolt action rifle - the Schmidt & Habermann Modell 21
When it comes to pre-WWII German bolt-action rifles, everyone thinks "Mauser", but there were others too, but all less successful and consequently much less frequently encountered. We have already described the Haenel models 1900 and 1909. Now it's time to turn to another Suhl made full-bore bolt action: the Schmidt & Habermann Modell 1921.
The venerable company E. Schmidt & Habermann of Suhl was founded in 1860. During the 1920s it was owned by the brothers Franz and Paul Stadelmann. About 1930 Schmidt & Habermann offered the usual complete program of hunting guns from cheap hammer shotguns to sidelocks, drillings and combination guns of all descriptions and even over-unders, some of their offerings undoubtedly bought in. A reprint of one of their catalogs, even with English descriptions, is available through the GGCA bookshop, number R024. One of the S&H trademarks was "Waldlaeufer" = woodsloafer which term now generally describes a special type of drilling, essentially a side-by-side shotgun with a small bore, .22lr or .22 Winchester aka 5.6x36R Vierling barrel inside the top rib, used then for off-season, year round fox and rabbit hunting, the small rifle barrel intended to give a little more reach just in case.. As Schmidt & Habermann did a lot of work for the trade, you rarely find a gun openly marked by them, but if you inspect the guns of the countless country and city gunmakers, even "named" ones, closely, you may sometimes find their "ESHA" mark hidden inside. Recently I have seen an "Original Wilhelm Brenecke Leipzig" 7x64 M98 bolt action rifle with the S&H stamp underneath the barrel.
During WWI, all the Thuringian gunmakers were occupied with making stuff for the German army, either complete arms such as pistols or at least some parts like those for the Star-marked M98 rifles. So when the war ended in 1918, Suhl was full of M98 parts but without work anymore. Hard times befell all the German gunmakers then: No more military orders, the restrictions of the Versailles treaty, international trade restrictions and economy coming to a downslide, resulting in an inflation that got to its peak in 1923, when a loaf of bread cost several billion Mark. Very few people could afford new sporting guns. Gunmakers tried to survive by converting ex-military M98 actions into affordable hunting rifles. Schmidt & Habermann offered these too, as did all others. Everyone tried to invent a product that would allow him to survive in some market niche. Immediately after WWI Mauser was out of the commercial repeating rifle market, the Haenel rifles were gone too, so the Stadelmanns decided to offer an "improved" Mauser-type hunting rifle. Due to the loss of Germany's African colonies, little need was seen for a new magnum length action. With all those reworkable M98 actions floating around, it made little sense to compete with them. The main rifle quarry of German hunters then was the small roebuck. Many hunters then felt the standard-length Mauser cartridges like 8x57, a prohibited cartridge anyhow, or its "Ersatz", the 8x60, much too destructive for those tiny deer, so S&H decided to offer an "Improved version of the short Mauser K action, chambered for the then-popular short roe-class cartridges 6.5x54 Mauser, 8x51 and a new, now forgotten 7x54. Later they added the .250-3000 and the 5.6x52R aka .22 Savage High Power to their offering.
S&H designed a simplified, small ring, round-bottomed K-length receiver without a thumb-hole cut, but with sort of a "square bridge" on the receiver ring to provide extra steel to cut the usual claw-mount dovetail in. The bolt assembly was also simplified, falling back on some pre-98 design features. The guide-rib on the bolt body is omitted, as is a third or safety locking lug. The firing pin lacks the post-1902 front safety lugs too.
The unique bolt sleeve and safety arrangement is completely different from the Mauser design. Instead of a flag safety to block the firing pin there is an arrangement that allows the rifle to be manually uncocked to set it on "safe".
On their M21 S&H employed a big "Cocking Knob" on the firing pin nut, similar to those on the American Krags and Springfields, but rather unusual on German full-bore rifles. A spring-loaded latch is set into a slot in the right side of this knob. If you want to set the rifle on "safe", you grab the knob with the left hand, depressing the rear end of the lever latch with the thumb, pull the trigger and lower the firing pin until the protruding forward end of the latch rests against the bolt sleeve. Now the gun is on safe with the firing pin tip held back from the primer. Pulling back the firing pin recocks the rifle, the latch snaps back and allows the firing pin to go fully forward on firing. This arrangement looks quite good at first glance, but it is not very comforting to work it with cold fingers and under a low-mounted scope, so Schmidt & Habermann followed popular demand and added a Greener-type trigger -blocking safety as a factory option.
Apparently the Schmidt & Habermann Modell21 was not a real success in the market, certainly caused by the costs to make them. Though the action was much simplified , the 1928 Akah catalog showed a price of Reichsmark 240.- for the basic version, RM 40.- more expensive than the superior original Mauser K-actioned sporter!
When I have the rifle in hand, I will post more about it.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Mauser A Modell and other [Re: kuduae]
      #210952 - 16/06/12 06:44 AM

Some pages from a 1920s Schmidt & Habermann catalog:

Edited by CptCurl (12/11/12 01:31 AM)

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #210953 - 16/06/12 06:48 AM

Kuduae,

Ich gratuliere! Da haben Sie was wirklich wertvolles für "einen Apfel und ein Ei" gewonnen.

I'm astounded that the rifle went for such a low price. Obviously the buying public in Germany is not as well informed as the members of the GGCA, who have the benefit of your knowledge.

I look forward to a full report on the rifle, including the scope, which I would think is worth close to what you paid for the whole outfit.

Bill Warren

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
      #210954 - 16/06/12 06:56 AM

Axel: Thank you for the information.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Mauser A Modell and other [Re: dons]
      #210957 - 16/06/12 07:34 AM

This rifle got a home which it deserves !

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Mauser A Modell and other [Re: Igorrock]
      #210961 - 16/06/12 08:51 AM

Very interesting rifle.
I can't tell, is that action a small ring or large ring?
That TypeA is a very nice rifle too. Would love that one...

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
Re: Mauser A Modell and other [Re: Huvius]
      #210977 - 16/06/12 05:42 PM

The S&H is of smallring type.

MFC
.275 member

Reged: 25/07/06
Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Re: Mauser A Modell and other [Re: justcurious]
      #211767 - 30/06/12 09:26 AM

That 10.75x68 Type A is stunning.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16416

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com