Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A poor man's buffalo in the Karoo

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Indybuster
.224 member

Reged: 18/04/12
Loc: Idaho
A poor man's buffalo in the Karoo
      #208886 - 24/05/12 05:53 AM

I blooded my new 10.6 x 375 Ruger wildcat, (Baby Rigby), with this old Gnu, in the first week of May. My project is to make an "every man's" knock off of P.H. Harry Selby's infamous .416 Rigby. I think I got pretty close. I streamlined a 375 Ruger and opened it up to .416 with the old half inch long neck of the Rigby. In fact, I trimmed back a Lyman 416 Rigby F.L. die, .300", and used the seater, as is, to load my try cases. Now I have real Hornady custom dies, which support the case better. But I still can reload by neck sizing with the clipped Lyman die set, made for the 416 Rigby. Both seaters form a roll crimp so close that you can't see any differences.

But my wildcat is much better suited to the Mauser M-98 military action. My smaller Boer 8mm Mag. is an Americanised version of the 8 x 68S Schuler. The 10.6mm is about as far as I can neck it up, and leave enough shoulder to head space on. I have a rimless cartridge which is a bit larger than the .416 Taylor, and has the longer neck of the Rigby. I left enough steel in the military receiver, so that I can load up to the original factory velocities of the larger Rigby, without getting bolt set back. I used a Venezuelan R.Famage 1957 action, made for the U.S. .30 caliber M 2 round. With a little extra length in the magazine, I can load out to 3.5 inches O.A.L., by dropping my ammo straight down between the stripper clip slot, and the notch in the top receiver ring. This military action is about as close to the ones that Rigby used after WWII, as I could lay my hands on.

With a bastogne walnut stock, and a customized L. Walther Bavarian 1500 barrel, I got within two ounces of Mr. Selby's Rigby, and kept that "lively" balance. Mine does have scope mounts as well as fixed Express Sights,(NECG). My weight is 8 lbs., 10 oz., without the scope. I have a 24 inch barrel, as opposed to Selby's 23 incher. I used Layne Simpson's article on the old Rigby, now in Louisiana, as my template. Mine is a stock depth magazine, and only holds three of these Ruger cases. I found that I can re-form a virgin 375 Ruger case, in one plunge, to my .416 Wildcat. The neck up, cancels out the lengthening, from streamlining the shoulders, so I only have to barely kiss the case mouths in my trimmer. This saves a lot of work over forming down the basic brass.

My P.H.'s wife helps run a refuge hostel, and the little tykes who will eat this beast, named my wildcat rifle, for me, in Afrikanz, "Een skoot mood Gnu".

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l534/dtrainmore/Een%20skoot%20mood%20Gnu/

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l534/dtrainmore/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: A poor man's buffalo in the Karoo [Re: Indybuster]
      #208911 - 24/05/12 12:56 PM

thats better - Waidmannsheil

please make pics of the new wildcat round

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by CptCurl (26/05/12 09:37 AM)

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: A poor man's buffalo in the Karoo [Re: lancaster]
      #208915 - 24/05/12 01:43 PM

Well done Indybuster. You have obviously put a lot of thought into this rifle and cartridge combination.

I can't help thinking though that you have recreated the .416 Ruger. Where are the differences ? in the neck length and case wall angles ?

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: A poor man's buffalo in the Karoo [Re: tophet1]
      #208917 - 24/05/12 03:17 PM

Congratulations. Well done.

Indybuster
.224 member

Re: A poor man's buffalo in the Karoo [Re: tophet1]
      #209851 - 02/06/12 07:31 AM

O.K. Tophet, here goes:

My first wildcat is an 8mm, that I named the "Boer 8mm Mag." It is an Americanized 8 x 68S Schuler. Those cases were scarce, so I did up one of my own, using the 375 Ruger Basic cases. Then I decided to do an "everyman's" version of P.H. Harry Selby's infamous John Rigby 416 made on the post WWII military actions.

This is about as big a caliber as I can get to headspace on the shoulder. My shoulder angle is 16 degrees. The neck is identical to the Rigby at one half inch, and they both share the same roll crimp. My shoulder is .483" in diameter, which precludes the Taylors from chambering.

This costs me a bit from the blocky factory Ruger case, but I still have a couple grains of H2O more than the Taylors. Since most bullets have the Rigby's half inch neck dimension ingrained in the shank between the cannelure and the bullet base, my bullets just go down to the base of the neck.

Now the neat part is; my gunsmith used my 8mm finish reamer to cut my .416's chamber. He head spaced it with my 8mm Go Gauge, too. He used an oversized (416) pilot on my reamer. Then he cut the neck/throat, with his own neck throat reamer. He has the full set of these, so I can go back to the well, for anything between 8mm and .416.

But it gets better. I purchased a cheap set of Lyman 416 Rigby dies, and trimmed off .300" from the F.L. sizer. The seating die worked fine, right out of the Lyman box. So, I ran two cases from my 8mm case forming die set, (.40") into the Lyman sizer. One with the expanding ball, and one without. Then I miked both and phoned in these specs, to the Hornady custom desk. They then plugged these two neck sizes into their G-Code, for my earlier 8mm wildcat, and I received a beautiful F.L. custom die set, in short order. Now, I can reload with both die sets, and I can't tell the cartridges apart. Not even the two roll crimps!

But the caveat is that I ordered a full set of case forming dies for my 8mm Mag.. They bring the really tough Ruger Basics down in 0.050" steps. I specified std. bullet sizes, so I have a .450, a .400, a .350, and then a F.L. sizer for my .323" Magnum. There was way too much effort between stage one, and stage two, so I ordered a stage 1.5 which puts only the case taper, into a file trim die body. This has to have a faux shoulder which will hold the case neck against the hacksaw blade and file, but it's about 11mm.

The Hornady expanders are elliptical, but the Lyman ones, can only expand a couple of thousandths. So taking my .400" std. neck out to .416 is about all I can do with the Lyman die set. But it worked fine. When I got my custom Hornady die set, I found that I could reform in one plunge, from a virgin brass 375 Ruger, up to my 10.6mm x 375 Ruger wildcat. The streamlining is offset by the necking up, so I only have to barely kiss the case mouths in my Wilson case trimmer.

To say that I'm happy with my wildcat is an understatement. It really feeds slick out of my military 30 Mauser. The Hawkeyes have wider feed rails, than these old war horses. Hornady had to out wildcat the wildcatters, to insure that their cartridge didn't step on the toes of the heirs of Charles Newton, who still have the rights tied up on the old 40 Newton.

The new Hornady/Ruger cartridges are actually the same diameter as the original Newton chamber specs. But the Western 35 Newton cartridge in my collection is about .006" under this size. Dr. Newton figured to let his cartridge expand in an oversized chamber, to take the first 30KCUP, and then his steel barrel handled the rest. August Schuler got his hands on some of these, which were orphaned by WWI, and made a proper chamber for his 8mm x 68 Schuler, which is also a bit longer. But his taper runs aground at anything above the new 375 Holderlin.

So, I feel that I've split the differences between the .416 Taylors and the .416 Ruger, with my baby 416 Rigby. Now that I'm back home, I'll start working up a heavier load than I took to the Karoo. I know I can match the smaller Taylor, and now we'll see what a longer neck and 3.5 inches O.A.L. will do with some tungsten cored solids. Woodleigh mailed me some specs, and I can use their 416 caliber 450 grain solids, made for the Rigby. These will go down into the case body about a tenth of an inch, to crimp into those cannelures.

Mr. Darrel Inman, here, is making the old Speer African Grand Slams, in a few calibers, at about $10 apiece. His tungsten cores cost $5 apiece, so he's not getting rich off of these. The 400 grain homogenous gilding metal bullets are long for their weights, and I think I still have a sweet spot for these too. His solids use turned beryllium copper profiles, with the tungsten cores pressed in from the rear. So, these are short for their weights, and give him a bit more powder space, in his Al Biesen stocked .416 Taylor.

So, now you know about as much as I do. My 350 grain Karoo loads that dropped the Gnu, were close to the older 400 Jeffery, and the 400 Whelen, at 2400 fps.. But I decided to go for penetration, instead of Slap! I took a left hand Ruger MKII in 270 Win. with Federal ammo, using Barnes 110 gr. TTSX bullets for the small stuff. I only recovered one of these from the rear spine of my Springbok, and it only lost 6 grains. My 350 gr. Speer Mag Tip, from the Gnu, retained 300.5 grains.

Unfortunately, both of these bullets and their shell casings were confiscated by the curious landlord, Mr. Johann Alberts, who put them up on his mantle, to reside there, along with a myriad of other interesting rounds, which have impressed him, with their killing abilities. All I got was the two weights and a chance to photograph them first.

Indybuster
.224 member

Re: A poor man's buffalo in the Karoo [Re: lancaster]
      #209853 - 02/06/12 07:45 AM

Hi Lancaster:
I put the pertinent dimensions in the previous loquacious post to Tophet. But here is the collage for the 10.6mm Wildcat.

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l534/dtrainmore/Boer%2010%206mm%20specs/

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
      #209855 - 02/06/12 08:12 AM

Hey, well-done!

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #210666 - 11/06/12 08:25 AM

Indybuster, well done on the wildcat. That is a nice looking round and should work very well on any African animal.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4804

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com