Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Handloader52
.224 member

Reged: 13/12/09
Loc: Maryland, USA
Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns
      #206428 - 03/04/12 11:14 AM

I'm finishing up a Mauser project in 458 Win Mag and trying to decide whether to have a quarter rib installed or not. That decision got me thinking about where quarter ribs come from and what function they are designed to perform. They certainly look sharp but I'm noticing most of the high end guns being built these days don't have quarter ribs, while many of the high end guns from years ago routinely had them.

Anyone have a thoughts on the subject?

Keith

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns [Re: Handloader52]
      #206438 - 03/04/12 01:28 PM

They cost a bit extra, but I love the looks! A big part of this game, at least for me, is aesthetics. And of course that differs from person to person. Do island base rear sights allow a lower-sitting scope, should one choose to install one?

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns [Re: Ben]
      #206447 - 03/04/12 05:42 PM

Quote.:

They certainly look sharp but I'm noticing most of the high end guns being built these days don't have quarter ribs,

End Quote.

You must be looking at factory rifles, I'm with Ben, I just had two "Custom Rifles" made and Ben One and all have quarter ribs and Express sights but then again, you get what you pay for.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #206468 - 04/04/12 02:05 AM

I think I'd go here before mounting a quarter rib - click on rear sights then Express sights.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Handloader52
.224 member

Reged: 13/12/09
Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns [Re: DarylS]
      #206475 - 04/04/12 06:32 AM

Actually Daryl, that's who is doing the work for me. They've built several of my guns.
Keith

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns [Re: Handloader52]
      #206510 - 04/04/12 09:27 PM

IMO an affectation for the rubes.

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns [Re: kamilaroi]
      #206539 - 05/04/12 06:56 AM

My take on the answer to the OP question is "maybe" its main purpose has to do with the difference in dia of the barrel to the receiver at the rear sight location, and the raising of the sight base so the rear sight leaf - leaves are visible and the leaves themselves don't have to be as high and consequently are less prone to damage. The same reason the fron sight sits on a ramp.
Weight issues and fitting easement has led some to the island base instead of the full length rib or the quarter rib.

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns [Re: VonGruff]
      #206579 - 06/04/12 04:04 AM

All good points above.
Another consideration is that a quarter rib allows the builder to add a little weight and keep that weight more concentrated near the action between the hands.
Not sure which maker was first to quarter rib their bolt guns but Rigby was pretty early on with their 416s. Considering the use of the rear square bridge Mauser action, VonGruff's points make sense.
Also, Rigby rifles prior to magazine rifles often had "Rigby Flats" and Westleys often had the Knock form at the breech end of the barrel.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns [Re: Huvius]
      #206626 - 06/04/12 07:25 PM

Quote:

Another consideration is that a quarter rib allows the builder to add a little weight and keep that weight more concentrated near the action between the hands.

Excellent point - balance! How can we forget balance?

My Merkel is one heavy muther, but balance is excellent. It's slightly heavier than my CZs but I shoot it better thanks to the weight distribution.

kamilaroi
.400 member

Re: Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #206629 - 06/04/12 07:41 PM

Back to the original post. If the barrel taper had been done to optimise the weight between the hands with a slight tendency to muzzle weight for the offhand shot then a quarter rib would be unnecessary. Jeffrey bolt guns and falling blocks I have seen take this into account.

comments?

Don
.275 member

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: California
Re: Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns [Re: kamilaroi]
      #206636 - 07/04/12 12:01 AM

For what is is worth, I always though that a quarter rice on a rifle served the same purpose as a rib on a shot gun, to aid in snap fast shooting. In other words it would "draw the eye along a converging plane."

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns [Re: Don]
      #206641 - 07/04/12 01:06 AM

I see your point, Don - but - the raised rib on a shotgun, seems to me, was originally designed for the trap gun, which is mounted deliberately, then the bird called for.
When shooting fast, especially at moving targets, the rib really isn't seen or used at all - merely the front sight and with a rifle, the rear sight as well are used.

With proper fitting stocks and also properly made barrels, as Kamilaroi put forward, ribs, full length or 1/4 length, are not necessary.

When the rifle is snapped to the shoulder, all that should be visible is the bead nestled in the bottom of the wide V- superposed on the animal's kill area- exactly where your eyes were locked as you mounted the rifle.

I think it's best to have a 'proper fitting' rifle made up, rather than attach 'dodges and fixes' to repair problems in fitting.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns [Re: DarylS]
      #206737 - 08/04/12 04:16 AM

I have never liked QR on bolt rifles and especially if they were made too massive and steal the entire impression of the aestetics of a custom rifle that were suppose to copy a historical period rifle like a british sporting rifle. H&H and Gibbs is actually the only few I have seen where a discret QR have been executed well proportioned. I like a trditional barrelfooted or a solded-on island for the exprsssigths. Doublerifle too with QR I detest. I preferre a wide filecut rip going all the way to the muzzle.

Edited by rigbymauser (08/04/12 04:24 AM)

kamilaroi
.400 member

Re: Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns [Re: rigbymauser]
      #206777 - 08/04/12 04:00 PM

As I understand the practice became popular with Griffin and Howe from the 20's onward aka "the client gets what they demand"...

open for correction...

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
      #206778 - 08/04/12 04:05 PM

Rigby, I confess to having a serious thing for wide file cut ribs on a double. Hands down my favorite barrel style, maybe because of its similarity to a shotgun rib. I like to look over that broad plane with the target sitting on top, especially for quick shooting. Your eye goes straight to the front sight with no need to think.

I've also got to agree with Don. On bolt guns I always thought the purpose was for snap shooting rather than weight distrubution or balance that could much more easily be acomplished with a wise choice of barrel contour, length, and stock. All of those should be considered with the balance in mind anyway, so I wouldn't add a rib in order to fix a problem there that didn't need to occur in the first place.

Besides, they just look right!

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Purpose and Origins of Quarter Ribs on Bolt Guns [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #208220 - 10/05/12 12:38 PM

i second dons opinion on ribs ,,you see a continious plane to the raer sight....paul

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #208245 - 11/05/12 04:36 AM

Quote:

I have never liked QR on bolt rifles and especially if they were made too massive and steal the entire impression of the aestetics of a custom rifle that were suppose to copy a historical period rifle like a british sporting rifle. H&H and Gibbs is actually the only few I have seen where a discret QR have been executed well proportioned. I like a trditional barrelfooted or a solded-on island for the exprsssigths. Doublerifle too with QR I detest. I preferre a wide filecut rip going all the way to the muzzle.

1+

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 145 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8016

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com