Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 416 Ruger, Best 416 of all??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
.300 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
Re: 416 Ruger, Best 416 of all?? [Re: 450]
      #205508 - 19/03/12 05:44 PM

Finally picked up my 416 Ruger Alaskan last week and it has now had two trips to the range. The action felt a bit gritty when I first tried it, but is is smoothing out nicely. One gripe was the amount of copper fouling in the barrel when I picked it up. I do not know how many shots Ruger put through it to test it but it took over an hour cleaning to get all the copper out which included a fair bit of work with JB bore compound. This rifle is only 41" long, 20" barrel and weighs nearly 8 pound. The Hogue stock feels great in the hand and I beleive it reduce felt recoil considerably.

I have fired 47 shots with it now without any feeding problems and the barrel is now much easier to clean than when I first got it. I am able to achieve 2300fps with a 400 projectile comfortably and the 340 grn woodleigh is doing over 2500 with Reloader 15. My best 3 shot group of the bench with open sites went 2" at 100 yards. The open sites on this rifle are fixed rear (windage adjustable) and a white bead up front. I find this rifle much more comfortable to fire than my Marlin 1895 with 400 projectiles at 2000 fps.

This is a rifle I would be happy to take into the scrub after anything.

--------------------
The worst days shooting and hunting is better than the best day at work

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #205551 - 20/03/12 03:02 AM

450 - get a can of Wipe Out and getting a big or a whole lot of copper out of the barrel happens with just an overnight soak. (barrel angled slightly down, onto a towl for the overnight soak)

I use a mix of 50:50 Kroil Oil and Butches Bore Shine as a quick cleaning solution as well as after the Wipe Out overnight clean.

After using the JB, your 'smoother' bore shouldn't pick up much more copper - we can hope.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: 416 Ruger, Best 416 of all?? [Re: DarylS]
      #205569 - 20/03/12 06:17 AM

Interesting about the copper fouling. I've got a .416 Hawkeye and when I got it, sure, it had been fired, but not very much. No noticeable copper in the bore. Action was stiff, but it smoothed up after 25 rounds through it. I like it so much that I'm going to sell my Ruger #1 450 NE and use the Hawkeye for all the big stuff.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: 416 Ruger, Best 416 of all?? [Re: poprivit]
      #205578 - 20/03/12 08:34 AM

DarylS +1 on the wipe out, that stuff is great, if only they could incorporate a lead "shifter" in it as well it would be perfect for everything, shotguns as well as rifles, best

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 416 Ruger, Best 416 of all?? [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #205579 - 20/03/12 08:44 AM

As to lead - well - "Lead Away Patches", I think they were/are still called. I don't know the distributor - maybe Kleen Bore, or Birchwood Casey's - maybe also still available in a sheet of impregnated cloth - I still have some.

Have a leaded bore that solvents and brushes can't dislodge? A single "Lead Away Patch" shoved through the bore, and the lead comes out the muzzle on the patch in slivers and chunks - drop them of the cloth right back into the melting pot - yeah - kinda scary. Makes you wonder what it is?

--------------------
Daryl

.300 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
      #205586 - 20/03/12 09:50 AM

Daryl, thanks for that. I will look for a can, I have not seen it here. Most bore solvents I will not leave in the barrel over night, but I will give this a try. you are right about the JB bore compound treatment. After 47 rounds it was a matter of a couple of patches with Sweets 7.62 and the barrel was clean with no copper visable. What are "lead away patches".

Poprivit, when I picked it up from the shop there was a large amount of copper visible in the barrel, but now it is great. I do not know if it was a rough barrel or what. The action is a bit stiff and gritty, but it is getting better. Yeah I like the 416 Alaskan better than my 450-400 ruger no #1 I had and the Alaskan feels more comfortable to shoot.

Wayne

--------------------
The worst days shooting and hunting is better than the best day at work

Indybuster
.224 member

Reged: 18/04/12
Loc: Idaho
      #208803 - 23/05/12 12:28 PM

An Everyman's baby 416 Rigby.
There are a few of us, wildcatting the Ruger case. You can buy either the basics or the 375 Ruger in virgin brass. I can do both the Basics and the 375 Ruger cases. I started with a re-chambered military stepped 8mm barrel. #2 is the baby 416 Rigby. I wanted to do a knockoff of P.H. Harry Selby's infamous military 98 action job. I kept the half inch long neck of the old Rigby, and streamlined my shoulders.

A smaller diameter 416 Taylor won't go in, without ironing back it's shoulders a bit. This round feeds very nicely through my Colombian Mauser action. This magazine has been lengthened a bit, but not out to 375 H&H length. Still, I can slip a 3.5 inch O.A.L. round down through the top, and into the mag..

I just got back from the Karoo, where I blooded it last week on an old Gnu. I used one Speer 350 gr. Mag Tip, at 2400fps, and it dropped like a sack of spuds. This bullet retained 305 grs, and ended under the skin, just ahead of the off hind quarter.

This rifle is within an ounce or two of Mr. Selby's, and balances right where it's supposed to. The difference is that it has both scope and express (NECG) sights. I use a 24 inch barrel, that's profiled to match the Layne Simpson article on the old P.H.'s rifle, now in Louisiana. I felt it was better to leave more steel in the Mauser receiver, and load to a higher pressure, if needed.

Interestingly, I got some measurements for my custom Hornady New Dimension dies from a Lyman 416 Rigby die set. The F.L. sizer had to be trimmed 0.300" and the seater worked fine, as is. So, I can neck size, expand, seat, and crimp, with the Lyman die set. My custom Hornady F.L. die supports the case better, but both seater dies can bulge the shoulders a mite, when I crimp hard. I then run my loaded and crimped rounds through one of my case forming dies, to iron the shoulders back out.

Dresden
.224 member

Reged: 19/06/12
Loc: Minnesota, USA
Re: 416 Ruger, Best 416 of all?? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #217386 - 30/09/12 09:09 AM

I bought a CZ550 in 416 Rigby and I like shooting it, I reload the cartridge to 10% less than max.
My next gun was a 416 Ruger, I bought brass and load my cartridges to 2150 fps with 72 grains RL15 and a 400 grain Hornady round nose produaing 4100 ft/lbs of energy. The rifle hardly kicks, a soft push, a boom, and it's pleasant to shoot. I seriously doubt most things in North America could take a hit from this combination. I would like imput from African game hunters about the efectiveness of this velocity and bullet.

Thanks

Edited by Dresden (30/09/12 09:13 AM)

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Re: 416 Ruger, Best 416 of all?? [Re: Dresden]
      #217401 - 30/09/12 07:14 PM

The 450/400 made it's reputation with less.

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 416 Ruger, Best 416 of all?? [Re: 458Win]
      #217404 - 01/10/12 12:36 AM

I bought a number packages of this 25 years ago and this is the last one I have.

Just 10 years ago, I bought a package of Kleen Bore Lead Away Patches that came in a blister pack - from Wholesale Sports in Calgary, Alberta.

They are around here somewhere, mostly unused as I've found what works to eliminate leading that sticks in the bore.

This stuff is, as I noted, scary in the way it removes lead- streaks and chunks of lead on the cloth when it comes out the muzzle - amazing. Perhaps it's not allowed any more due to contents, I don't know. Good if it's still available, though and a check with Kleen Bore will answer that.

--------------------
Daryl

Dresden
.224 member

Reged: 19/06/12
Loc: Minnesota, USA
      #218048 - 16/10/12 12:05 PM

Kleen Bore at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Kleenbore-Care-Lead-Away-Cloth/dp/B002IEIDG4

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 28217

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com