Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Nitroed Bambi, Buffalo & Donkey Management (photo heavy)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Drew_Jaeger
.275 member

Reged: 27/09/09
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
Nitroed Bambi, Buffalo & Donkey Management (photo heavy)
      #203989 - 28/02/12 12:35 PM

The last six months I have been a tad pre-occupied, and meant to post this report last August.

In early February 2011 JC and I started throwing around emails and made some calls to ask interested parties if they were interested in participating in a Game Management Hunt in the Northern Territory. Once we had six committed persons, of which four went last year, the detailed planning commenced.

In early July, four weeks prior to our departure a meeting was convened at Wolfgang’s residence to discuss various aspects of the hunt and to view his trophy room (which you’ve seen). However, the meeting was more a casual chat over the BBQ cooking bratwurst and bierwurst sausages complemented with a few bottles of Becks & Gösser.

Friday 29 July, I went out to my Fallow deer property to reacquaint myself with the Ruger No.1 450/400 3" and harvest fresh backstrap to take as biltong on the upcoming Northern Territory hunt.

At the entrance to the property the temperature was 5 deg C (6am) compared to -3 deg C when I left home 30min earlier. The reason, damn wind,... again!

Walking into the hills the wind was constant and cutting but at least consistent in direction. Out in the open I saw thirty Does run up the fence line towards me and congregate at the fence corner in mass. The Ruger was already on the shooting sticks and the range finder confirmed the distance to be 142m, which is a 3" drop for the shot. Admittedly, I was not keen on taking the shot with the risk of the 400gr Woodleigh punching through the first animal and wounding another. I only wanted one animal, preferably an end to end shot. The light was not bright enough to get a decent photo without the tripod, sorry. Eventually the Does jumped clear of the fence and ran into the nearby timber.

Keeping with the timberline, I proceeded onto where deer have been regularly seen and taken on past hunts. Unfortunately, only the usual suspects were encountered - kangaroos. Moving out into the more open areas, I eventually found the local Bachelor herd, of which had swollen in numbers. After watching them for about forty five minutes, in particular one semi-decent specimen, I decided to pick off one of the Spike stragglers.

During the stalk, a Spike decided to deviate away from the main group and actually headed straight towards me. Relocating to a more suitable position for taking the shot, especially if things went pear-shape, I moved partially out the timber into the open. In position with the Ruger poised on the shooting sticks for the shot, I waited for the Spike to causally walk up to me. Once his brisket became visible in the 4x crosshairs, I poleaxed him with 400gr Woodleigh RNSN at 55m!

With the backstraps taken and all four legs stashed in the shade, I trudged 2km back to the AWD. Then drove up to collect the four legs. Having too much meat, both front legs were dropped off at the property shed for dog food, and I phoned a mate who happily laid claim on one of the back legs which he collected later that afternoon.

The biltong production commenced within 24hrs with the drying process occurring after a further 24hrs. The Buffalo and Donkey action starts within a week!!!

Thursday 4 August came around quick, I travelled up to Picton to collect Ben then onto Mascot. At 17:00 we all met at the designated rendezvous point in Terminal 3. Then proceeded to check-in, in mass. The new additional item of baggage system seemed much fairer than the old and horrendously expensive excess luggage costs.

During the flight we were all charged with excitement and any sleep was light and broken. Touching down in Darwin at 23:35 local time, we collected our luggage and firearms within 15 min from disembarking from the plane. The mini-bus, a diesel (yay!), was collected from Hertz and we then proceeded to the station on the far side of Katherine, arriving at 5:35am.

The station was initially in darkness; the outfitters fired up the generators then greeted us. Soon after, brewed coffee was prepared and a full breakfast was cooked on the BBQ. Following breakfast we rested for a couple of hours, admiring the trophies in the cabin including a massive set of Red Stag antlers from the south island of NZ.

Around 10am and more coffee, we headed out to the range to check our respective rifles. On this trip there was; a 9.3x62mm, two 450/400 NE 3”, a 450 NE 3¼”, a 500 NE 3”, and a 505 Gibbs. Woodleigh projectiles featured prominently, but there were some Hornady dangerous game series factory load ring-ins too. With all rifles checked, we headed back to camp for a light lunch prior to the afternoon’s hunt.

Following lunch, Ben, John and I boarded the open top hunting wagon and headed in an easterly direction. Ben and I had our respective Ruger No.1s in the classic 450/400 3”; mine with a Kahles 1.1-4x24mm scope and Ben’s with a peep sight. John had a Verney-Carron in 450 3¼” with a Swarovski 1-6x24mm EE scope.

Not long into the trip we encountered a Buffalo Bull in amongst cattle on the edge of a wetland system. Our guide said “get that bastard”. John got out and dropped a pair of 480gr Woodleigh RNSN loads into the 450 3¼” double. Soon after I jump out and loaded the 450/400 3”. For this trip, I was using 400gr Woodleigh RNSN loads exclusively. John steadied himself on a nearby tree and fired the first barrel. The Bull was hit in the right shoulder at ~55m. The animal reacted to the hit and ran into the wetland. John fired and missed with the second barrel. As back up, I lined up and fired striking the Bull in the head below the right ear at ~90m dropping him instantly in the drink!

Retrieving the animal was a sloppy operation, but necessary to take the meat. Both the projectiles were recovered during butchering. Although it accomplished the desired task, there was not much remaining of the 400gr RNSN.

Being in close proximity (2-3km) to the station cold room, we sprinted back to drop off the four legs, backstrap and fillets.

Venturing back out we encountered a couple of groups of Buffalo, one group was off limits and the other was very skittish. I disagreed with the guide over the stalking technique with the wind up our rear, pushing the herd further away and in thicker cover. With the light failing the hunt was abandoned. Driving back there was a young Bull standing in the middle of the track taking a piss and had just dropped a load! Ben jumped out and the Bull ran into high mission grass getting hit with a 400gr FMJ during the dash. John and Ben entered the grass and barrage of multiple shots commenced soon after. The guide and I thought the racket was a tad excessive, but amusing.

With all four legs and the backstraps taken, we head back and rolled into camp after dark.

Saturday morning following an early breakfast we headed out in a westerly direction. We came across a Bull behaving suspiciously near a damaged fence. The guide gave the all clear to cull the animal. Ben got out and placed a 400gr FMJ into the beast’s chest at ~45m, with a follow up, coup de grâce, shot to the head which passed through the head and left horn. The 400gr FMJ fired into the chest was found on the opposite mid-span side of the animal and under the hide. The projectile had passed through the brisket, heart, lungs and paunch with approximately 3ft of penetration. Ritually all the legs, backstaps and fillets were taken.

Approximately four hours of nil activity, we were walking along a billabong and dry creek bed when a solitary Bull was glassed sitting under a tree chewing his cud. He was ~300m from us. The guide indicated it was my turn and we were going to stalk in close using the long gamba grass for cover, finally a proper stalk with the wind in our favour!

Emerging from the high ground cover behind a tree, the guide and I were only ~20m from the relaxed Bull. Gingerly, I set up the shooting sticks and rifle for the shot. His head was back a tad and I waited until he was facing me. With the cross-hairs level with his eyes, I squeezed off the shot with the Bull dropping on the spot. The guide called out brilliant shot and proceeded to come out from behind the tree. However, within 30 seconds the stunned Bull, infuriated, came back to life, got up and commenced a charge. I reacted with an immediate shot in the neck (above right horn boss), reloaded and hit the right shoulder repelling the charge. Then placed a shot into where the tail meets the spine, dropping him briefly, then another shot to the left high shoulder immobilising him, then I ran up to place a shot to the head (under right eye) and a final “make fucking sure” shot into the heart at close quarters. The adrenaline was sure pumping by the end of the encounter!

The guide took the legs and backstraps, but was not keen butchering the animal in search of projectiles. However, some small fragments were found in the head, but no bullet shanks were found. Turns out that due to his head angle and my not compensating for the difference between the scope and bore, my initial shot was ~2” too low and just missed the brain.

After taking the meat back to the station’s shed and cool room, we enjoyed a lunch in the cool, then headed southeast looking for Buffalo. We followed a creek, that would normally be dry, we encountered a number of Cows that required thinning out, but were very skittish. Also it was John’s turn for a shot, but unfortunately he lacked self-confidence with taking shots over 100m. There was a lot of water present and the ground cover was unusually high, up to 2m in places with the gamba grass.

A number of times we encountered pigs near water. One interesting encounter was putting up a Sow from her bed in the spear grass to reveal a dozen suckers. We disembarked to take a couple of photos, all the time keeping a watch eye on mother.

We came across a couple of Cows and the guide asked John to drill it. The shot was ~120m and John reluctantly took the shot, missing with the first barrel, but made a solid hit with the second barrel,... thump! Following the blood trail for the next hour, the guide decided it was getting late and we should head back.

Nearing camp, almost opposite the gates we encountered two Bulls in the adjacent paddock. The guide said “take the one out on the left only”. With the light low, Ben could not see his sights and John was not confident of the shot as they were a fair way in the paddock. Jumping out of the 4WD, I wound the scope up to 4x and placed the cross-hairs on the backline of the now fleeing animal, allowed a bit of lead and squeezed off. There was an almighty thump and the Bull faltered and ran for ~100m then collapsed in the grass. I ranged the spot he was hit to be 165m. Driving out to the bull, I got out and fired a second, coup de grâce, shot to the neck at ~5m finishing him. It was at last light and again the guide was not keen butchering the animal for the projectile, but I assumed from the angle it passed through the liver and into the lungs and top of heart.

That night Ben K (K for Katherine) drove out to catch up and conduct a little business with JC. We had a fabulous conversation over a few ales and Fallow biltong.

Before sunrise on Sunday, I trotted out to get a photo of the Bull, he was only ~300m from camp.

After breakfast and some meat collection, the Bull’s remains were dragged a couple of kilometres away from the homestead. Driving a further six kilometres west we called into a vantage point which revealed some beautiful scenery. A pair of wild dogs were spotted and subsequently ranged at 406m. The guide asked one of us to have a crack, Ben obliged with his 450/400, placing a 400gr FMJ ~2m short of the duo, windage perfect!

Driving along the track for a number of kilometres, we finally came across a few Cows and Calves. Ben was up and John backed up. A Cow succumbed to a couple of 400gr FMJs and a 400gr Hydro from Ben’s 450/400 3” and a 480gr Hornady DGX from John’s 450 3¼”. As we had a fair way to go, the legs were taken and stored on a fallen tree in shade. The backstraps were placed in the cooler bag.

Continuing on we encountered numerous Buffalo herds of various sizes, including some average trophy Bulls near a lake. The guide made it quite clear that no Buffalo were to be taken, which was a tad frustrating as we had seen numbers of all sizes exceed a hundred plus just getting to the lake.

At the lake, we observed Buffalo and noticed some Donkeys come in for water. Making our way around to the other side where we saw the Donkeys, the Buffalo did not seem too concerned with our presence. We staked out a game trail for approximately one hour.

With no activity on the game trail, we headed back to the 4WD and drove north for a couple of kilometres to come across a herd of fifteen Donkeys. The instruction from the guide was “wipe them out”. Obligingly we disembarked from the 4WD and stalked into within 30m of the closest animal. Ben initiated the engagement belting the closest animal, a young male. My first target was the dominant Jack who now was on the run quartering away, the initial shot was forward of the left leg angled into the boiler room at 104m. The Jack did not react, but made the fatal mistake of looking back and instantly became a Hindu with my second shot.

What a sensational experience with three big bores bellowing away, and the resultant “thumps” of heavy slugs hitting. In the end I had fired off all ten rounds on my belt, with all connecting. All fifteen Donkeys were cleaned up. Donkeys can are frustratingly tough little bastards with shoulder/chest shots not appearing to have any initial effect. One tan Donkey took a hit from the 450 3¼” in the shoulder and two shots from my 450/400 3” to the head before expiring.

John and Ben were suitably pleased with the engagement, especially Ben. Ben was using 400gr RNSNs and 400gr Hydros in his 450/400. He shot one Donkey with a RNSNs and then a Hydro that travelled through the animal exiting, striking a small tree passing through to slam into another tree ~25m behind! Now that is performance!

John was using 480gr Hornady DGXs and located a lump on the far side of a Donkey he hit. The DGX was quickly found (sideways) and recovered. For an expanding bullet the DGX does not really expand! The Donkeys were piled up for Wild Dog bait and a GPS reading taken by the guide for a future visit.

With the sun getting lower, we commenced the journey back to camp seeing numerous Buffalo on the way. There was an opportunity for John to have a crack at a Bull with a broken horn, but the Bull soon joined an “off limits” herd. We came across a pair Bulls having a disagreement, which was an experience to witness.

In our travels we encountered an agro Brown Snake on the road that took three strikes at the wheels as we drove past. Ben, who is ophidiophobic, vehemently voiced his concerns.

Returning back to camp that night, Ben K was quite chuffed hammering a large Cow with his new Merkel 140 double 500 3”. The other guys; JC, Mark and Wolfgang also did very well harvesting five Buffalo. Ben K headed back the Katherine that evening.

Monday morning there was a slight change of the crews. The plan was for one group to spend the entire day on foot, which would be almost impossible to handle for Wolfgang, who is 77yo. Subsequently, I swapped places with Wolfgang joining JC and Mark. Wishing best of British luck to Ben and John, I bid the old crew farewell. The original guide for JC and Mark had departed for Darwin to meet and collect a group of American trophy hunters, and we were to be guided by one of the workers, Col. Col was not comfortable going unarmed, asking if he could bring a rifle. We thought it was brilliant idea. Col had an old sporterised Brno vz.33 8x57mm Mauser and his loads consisted of 196gr Woodleigh RNSNs.

We drove down to a creek southeast of camp and walked the creek for ~90min. With no sign seen, we called off the hunt in favour of going to a different location. We drove to a different creek, which was a series of stagnate ponds to find a large Bull and a couple of Cows in amongst a herd of cattle. Col said, “Ok fellas, do what you want, but don’t shoot the Bull or cattle”. With the entire herd constantly moving, we followed for ~60min before the ground cover and foliage became too thick.

Returning to camp for lunch, Col stated he would take us to a spot not usually hunted, but it will be a fair hike. We were very enthusiastic with the proposal.

Around 2pm, the property mechanic drove us 19km west to the drop off point. From there we trekked to the gorge country which was spectacular viewing.

Nearing the bottom of the gorge, a herd of Buffalo was coming out of the creek only ~60m from Col & I. Col reminded me that no big Bulls are to be shot. No problem, I lined up on high shoulder of the largest Cow and squeezed off the shot which rolled her on the spot. As I walked closer and with the memory of the charging Bull still vivid, a second shot to the head was insurance of no comeback! The 400gr RNSN was recovered from the opposite shoulder.

Following the spring fed creek through the marsh was exhilarating and felt like a proper hunt, for me. We bumped the same herd of Buffalo. Mark opened up with his Lynx straight pull 9.3x62mm hitting a young Bull twice with 286gr Hornady factory loads. JC backed up with a single 570gr FMJ from his Merkel 500 3” as the young Bull crossed the creek.

Mark then put a 286gr pill into the boiler room of a Cow that proceeded to run into a clump of high gamba grass. We looked around for the Cow without any success. The 570gr FMJ had travelled through the young Bull and was recovered from forward of the opposite shoulder.

The time was after 4:45pm and Col stated we still had over 4km to go, including a climb before dark. Pushing on we saw a couple of large pigs break from cover near the waterways.

As the sun was getting lower, Col glassed a mob of Donkeys in the direction we were heading. We stalked through the gamba grass to get within range of JC’s open sight double rifle. The opening salvo was brilliant with all four rifles firing simultaneously and hitting our respective targeted animals. The remaining Donkeys were confused by the commotion and the firing continued. A number of animals broke away from the remanets of the main group, which Mark pursued and attended to. Col took a brilliant running head shot with his 8x57mm, at the Jack he initially hit. Following two successful head shots, the 450/400 3” was then stretched with a couple of long shots around 200m on two tan Donkeys. Allowing a 10” drop, I compensated accordingly with the crosshairs placed just above the spine and resultantly their shoulders erupted in a cloud of dust with each solid hit. There were fifteen Donkeys strewn about following the carnage. With the sun below the hills, I only took a photo of the animal taken with the old classic 8x57mm.

Climbing the rocky slopes out of the valley, we were met by the mechanic at the designated rendezvous pickup point. He conveniently packed a few cold cleansing Carton Mid ales. In four hours we had trekked ~9km through some sensational country. It was definitely the best part of the entre trip. Col’s demeanour broke the client/outfitter barrier by being one of the boys out on a hunt. Enjoying the ales, we savoured the colours of the sunset on the last day of the trip.

Returning to camp Monday evening, we met up with Ben, John and Wolfgang who managed to harvest a couple of young Buffalo. The final total for the trip was; 24 Buffalo (including 4 animals not found), 34 Donkeys and 1 Wild Dog.

In the photo below of recovered projectiles, from the left;
  • 505 Gibbs – 535gr Woodleigh RNSN with Buffalo shoulder bone impregnated in the mushroom
  • 505 Gibbs – 535gr Woodleigh RNSN
  • 500 NE 3” – 570gr Woodleigh FMJ
  • 500 NE 3” – 570gr Woodleigh RNSN
  • 450 NE 3¼” - 480gr Hornady DGX (factory)
  • 450 NE 3¼” - 480gr Woodleigh RNSN
  • 450/400 NE 3” - 400gr Woodleigh FMJ
  • 450/400 NE 3” - 400gr Woodleigh RNSN
  • 450/400 NE 3” - 400gr Woodleigh RNSN
  • 9.3x62mm - 286gr Hornady InterLock SP (factory)
  • 9.3x62mm - 286gr Hornady InterLock SP (factory)

Tuesday morning was leisurely. Following copious amounts of coffee and some breakfast, the few trophies we had were packed into our luggage and the mini-bus with the group convoy departing the station around 11:30am.

On the way back to Darwin, we collected our Census Traveller Packs at the Katherine VIC and dropped off a pair of Cow horns to Ben K. Then continued onto Adelaide River for a quick ale at the 303 Bar. Arriving in Darwin, we pulled up at the Fox Bar & Grill for beer and dinner. After a couple of beers Wolfgang opened up and told us about his childhood in Leipzig Germany during WW2; not seeing his father since the age of 8yo (1942) and his capture in Romania and death in Soviet captivity; and how he, his wife and 2yo daughter escaped East Germany in 1958 and came to Australia. Then we moved onto his adventures and hunts in Africa. It was absolutely fascinating to hear his experience and the hours just melted away.

At Darwin airport, we completed the Census over a couple of Jamiesons & Baileys. With the trip almost over, bleary eyed, we boarded the Qantas flight back to Sydney, departing at 01:40. Most of us passed out before takeoff and woke 40min out of Sydney for breakfast. The flight landed at 06:10 local time and it was back to reality.

Wolfgang was the only one keen to return, whereas JC, John, Ben and I intend to investigate options and packages in Namibia for hunting Plains Game.

.410” 400gr Woodleigh RNSN

The projectile on the left was a coup de grâce, recovered from a Bull’s skull on the first day. It only weighed 211.5gr or 52.9%.

The projectile on the right was a high shoulder shot that smashed through the spine and was recovered from the large Cow’s opposite shoulder on the last afternoon. It weighed 351.6gr or 87.9%.

--------------------
Cheers

Drew

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Nitroed Bambi, Buffalo & Donkey Management (photo heavy) [Re: Drew_Jaeger]
      #204003 - 28/02/12 04:06 PM

So you finally posted it,nice trip eh Drew

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Nitroed Bambi, Buffalo & Donkey Management (photo heavy) [Re: gryphon]
      #204004 - 28/02/12 04:34 PM

Great write up and ballistics report. Well done.

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Nitroed Bambi, Buffalo & Donkey Management (photo heavy) [Re: tophet1]
      #204007 - 28/02/12 05:28 PM

Bloody good pic's and thanks for sharing.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Nitroed Bambi, Buffalo & Donkey Management (photo heavy) [Re: FATBOY404]
      #204010 - 28/02/12 06:33 PM

Great trip by the sounds of it, those donkey bashing escapades sound like Dresden ´44, best

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #204016 - 28/02/12 07:25 PM

I like this as a different way of displaying horns and skull.

Quote:

With the cross-hairs level with his eyes, I squeezed off the shot with the Bull dropping on the spot. The guide called out brilliant shot and proceeded to come out from behind the tree. However, within 30 seconds the stunned Bull, infuriated, came back to life

Funny how the "dead ones" do this sometimes.

Quote:

Donkeys can are frustratingly tough little bastards with shoulder/chest shots not appearing to have any initial effect.

It is amazing how one can sometimes shoot them in the chest, time and time again, and they should fall down but don't. Very annoying.

Well done on the hunt and also thanks for posting an interesting story.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Nitroed Bambi, Buffalo & Donkey Management (photo heavy) [Re: NitroX]
      #204027 - 29/02/12 02:00 AM

Great story and photos.
Nice smörgåsbord of recovered bullets too!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: Nitroed Bambi, Buffalo & Donkey Management (photo heavy) [Re: tinker]
      #204046 - 29/02/12 06:40 AM

Really nice reading and great pics. Must have been a fantastic hunt!!!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Nitroed Bambi, Buffalo & Donkey Management (photo heavy) [Re: tinker]
      #204049 - 29/02/12 06:52 AM

That was a wonderful story. It appears the 9.3 Hornady's worked well.

I do have a question regarding the meat. You've spoken of taking the backstrap - what about the tenderloin, inside at the top of the cavity? A T-bone or tenderloin 'n/bacon strip just isn't the same without it.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Nitroed Bambi, Buffalo & Donkey Management (photo heavy) [Re: DarylS]
      #204059 - 29/02/12 08:56 AM

That place is the one that I'll be headed to in June. Did you happen to get any pictures of the trophy bulls there also.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Drew_Jaeger
.275 member

#204067 - 29/02/12 10:49 AM

Quote:

That was a wonderful story. It appears the 9.3 Hornady's worked well.

Thank you. Unfortunately the 9.3mm 286gr Hornady SP factory rounds had penetration issues. Mark has since loaded up 286gr Woodleigh PPSNs.

Quote:

I do have a question regarding the meat. You've spoken of taking the backstrap - what about the tenderloin, inside at the top of the cavity? A T-bone or tenderloin 'n/bacon strip just isn't the same without it.

Tenderloin and backstrap are my favourite pieces of meat from Deer. Buffalo is no different, and IMO is better than beef! In most cases, the majority of the Buffalo meat was taken. The legs are given to the local indigenous communities. With our group the tenderlions were taken from a couple of cows.

--------------------
Cheers

Drew

Drew_Jaeger
.275 member

Re: Nitroed Bambi, Buffalo & Donkey Management (photo heavy) [Re: AkMike]
      #204068 - 29/02/12 10:57 AM

Quote:

That place is the one that I'll be headed to in June. Did you happen to get any pictures of the trophy bulls there also.

Not on this trip, but I did get some excellent photos of Bulls in August 2010. The property is MASSIVE, and we were culling animals far from where the trophy Bulls are usually located.

Related reports and photos from the 2010 Buffalo & Donkey Cull Hunt;

Northern Territory Outback Adventure - Game Management Hunt

Dangerous Big Game Projectile Performance – NT experience

--------------------
Cheers

Drew

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #204069 - 29/02/12 11:10 AM

Tks Drew. Here the American/Canadian buffalo, also called bison, have wonderful meat - if young. I doubt an old breeding bull would be very appatizing - of any sort.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#204093 - 29/02/12 03:56 PM

Your trip makes me want to head back there.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
      #204110 - 01/03/12 12:22 AM

good stuff Drew!!

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Nitroed Bambi, Buffalo & Donkey Management (photo heavy) [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #204156 - 01/03/12 01:06 PM

Just wondering. Anyone interested in a group NitroExpress.com hunt of a similar kind, later this year (subject to availability), or next year?

Six persons would be required.

Cull buffalo and donkeys, plus the possibility of trophy boar, scrub bull and buffalo at additional cost.

Details to be worked out.

A separate thread will be posted. But indicate interest please.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
      #205495 - 19/03/12 02:09 PM

Good to see this, albeit a bit late! Good memories, and great to meet you blokes.

Vanders
.224 member

Reged: 04/03/12
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Nitroed Bambi, Buffalo & Donkey Management (photo heavy) [Re: Ben]
      #206401 - 02/04/12 10:27 PM

Drew, what a great trip, there's certainly something special about the Territory, it just keeps calling you back.

Love those sunset & sunrise pics mate, any special setting on the camera to capture them?

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Nitroed Bambi, Buffalo & Donkey Management (photo heavy) [Re: Vanders]
      #206404 - 02/04/12 10:38 PM

Hey, John, I just noticed your suggestion re: the NE cull hunt possibility. I'd be keen, and could help-out with things in Katherine if need be.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11047

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com