Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Gday from a "rediscovered" hunter

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Jase
.224 member

Reged: 01/11/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Gday from a "rediscovered" hunter
      #20331 - 01/11/04 07:53 PM

Gday all,

What a great forum this is! I am a Sydney based high school teacher who grew up in the bush of NSW.......It has been about 15 years since i last fired a rifle and recently I have started to think about starting all over.....as a teenager i grew up in places like Bourke and Tooraweenah (near Gilgandra) and it was a paradise for a young bloke i can tell you!....I used to hunt ferals in both places with my old .22 Hornet and my Dad's old sporterised .303 Lee-Enfield......great days and loads of fun.....Unfortunately i longer own any firearms and I also no longer have a license....so i guess I will be asking quite a few questions of you guys.....my ultimate dream now is to hunt leopard in Africa one day but in the meantime i want to get back into some good Pig, Fox and Rabbit shooting again.....I have been thinking about a rifle any suggestions for a returning shooter/

cheers
Jase

--------------------
cheers
Jase

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Gday from a "rediscovered" hunter [Re: Jase]
      #20334 - 01/11/04 10:42 PM

You could pick up an old .22 Hornet and a sporterized .303 for a song these days, the nostalgia you get for free!

Seriously, there are any number of good rigs around today and very few bad ones. Sounds like a .223 or .243 would probably suit fine, perhaps trading up to a .30-cal magnum for that leopard when the time comes. Many of the lads here or over at AHN will be full of good advice no doubt. Magazines from the newsagent are another good source of ideas, the 'Australian Shooter' has a classified ad section for second-hand stuff.

My only advice would be to think long and hard before succumbing to the current 'super-short magnum' craze which might get pushed at you over the gun-shop counter.

Welcome back!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Gday from a "rediscovered" hunter [Re: Marrakai]
      #20357 - 02/11/04 08:07 AM

My only advice would be to think long and hard before succumbing to the current 'super-short magnum' craze which might get pushed at you over the gun-shop counter

I agreewith those sensible lines above too,yep its all been done in past days with a lot smaller (and more comfortable) choices of calibers.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Jase
.224 member

Reged: 01/11/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Gday from a "rediscovered" hunter [Re: gryphon]
      #20362 - 02/11/04 08:29 AM

Thanks for the welcome.....the advice is most welcome.....I am thinking about a "classic" cartridge to get back in......my criteria is that it was around and popular when i was hunting in the 80's.....i always wanted a .30-06....i reckoned with that i can handle anything in Australia plus be able to hunt plains game in Africa......when the time comes for my dreamed leopard hunt in many years time I am goign to get myself a .375 H&H......being a man of slim means I cant afford a battery of guns so my first rifle will be it for some time and i want it to be able to take care of deer, pig and goat....i can always get a cheap .22 for rabbits and the like......

cheers
Jase

--------------------
cheers
Jase

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Gday from a "rediscovered" hunter [Re: Jase]
      #20381 - 02/11/04 11:28 PM

Jase

Welcome to the NitroExpress.com fourms. You will find loads of discussions on hunting internationally here but also importantly in Australia as well. Just start them if you have anything to ask or discuss.

I like your suggestion of buying a .30-06. I purchased my .30-06 as a "world" hunting rifle. Instead of going for a .270 or .243 or other medium calibre (for Australia), I wanted something I could hunt pigs and goats with, deer including sambar in thick forest, hunt New Zealand with, African plains game, and not to mention North America. Ambitious . Some I have done . Others yet to come.

I do like slightly more punch for African plains game now (I'm not eating them so I want them to drop just a little quicker) but the .30-06 killed a eland with a single shot well (plus an unneeded finisher to speed it along).

Using the same rifle on ferals will give you great practice when one day to sight in on a chevron on "spots" with a trusty and well known rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1762

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com