Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: South Africa: Local Rhino Poachers Shot Dead

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
South Africa: Local Rhino Poachers Shot Dead
      #201924 - 08/02/12 03:44 AM

South Africa: Local Rhino Poachers Shot Dead

12 January 2012

Maputo — Two Mozambicans, suspected of poaching rhinoceros, were shot dead on Wednesday night inside South Africa's Kruger National Park.

The two men, whose names have not been released, were killed in a shoot-out with game rangers, according to Reynold Thakhuli, the general manager of the Kruger Park, cited in the South African press.

It is suspected that the two Mozambicans were part of a gang responsible for the slaughter of eight rhinos last Tuesday. After finding the dehorned rhino carcasses, the rangers set out on the trail of the poachers.

On Wednesday they caught up with the two Mozambicans and an exchange of fire followed. It is suspected that the two were connected with the deaths of the eight rhinos because they were found in the same general area, in the southern end of the park.

Thakhuli said that a rifle and other hunting equipment were recovered from the bodies of the two men, but no rhino horns were found. An aerial search of the park was launched to see if any more rhinos were lost in this week's killing spree.

"South Africa National Parks (SANParks) regrets the deaths of the suspected poachers but would like to request the public to assist the police and SANParks with any information which may lead to the arrest of more would be poachers," Thakhuli said.

Since 2009, South Africa has lost 911 rhinos to poachers. These are the known deaths. Other rhino carcasses may have gone undiscovered.

There are five species of rhinoceros. The latest estimate is that between them these five species contain only 22,800 individuals, and 90 per cent of these are in South Africa. Three of the species, the Indian, Javan and Sumatran Rhinoceros, are critically endangered.

The African species are the black and white rhinos. Those killed in the Kruger Park were all southern white rhinos.

Rhino horn is in demand because of the widespread belief in Asia that it has medicinal qualities and can even cure cancer. In reality, the main component of rhino horn is keratin, the same protein that makes human hair and fingernails.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201201130328.html

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: South Africa: Local Rhino Poachers Shot Dead [Re: NitroX]
      #201925 - 08/02/12 03:45 AM

South Africa: Govt to Intensify Fight Against Rhino Killing
15 January 2012

Pretoria — Government continues to explore ways to curb the increasing killing of rhinos in South Africa, including the possibility of dehorning the animals, Environmental Affairs Minister Edna Molewa said on Sunday.

About 24 rhinos have been killed in South Africa since the beginning of this month, while figures from the South African National Parks (SANPARKS) show that 448 rhinos were killed for their horns last year alone. The most affected areas were said to be in Limpopo and North West provinces.

Experts say the spike in poaching in Africa and South Asia was largely caused by increased demand for rhino horns in Asian traditional medicine. There are still many myths associated with the rhino horn in some Asian countries like China and Vietnam, where it is believed that the horn can heal fever, enhance sexual performance and reduce chances of stroke.

Molewa said it was clear that authorities needed to up their game in curbing the poaching of rhinos.

"It is clear that this is an organised crime and in dealing with organised criminals, we need input and action from all South Africans."

She said a study conducted had indicated that the decision on whether or not to dehorn a rhino population depended on a number of factors, including the level of poaching threat, the availability of funds and the size of the rhino population in question.

"Due to the invasive nature of and expenses associated with dehorning, the intervention should only be considered under conditions of relatively severe poaching threat," Molewa said.

A continuing study commissioned by government will also look into whether legalising trade in rhino horn could help to bring down poaching.

Other measures include the establishment of the National Wild Life Reaction Unit, which authorities are hoping will help in information sharing and curbing pooching in South Africa's largest parks.

Molewa said the South African National Defence Force has also been returned to monitor the 350-kilometre of the national border in Kruger National Park. Most of the country's rhinos are found in Kruger Park, leading to many cases of poaching being reported there.

While the alarming figures of rhino killing in the country had raised concerns among animal rights groups and activists, SANPARKS said it was not yet time to press panic buttons.

According to the organisation's CEO David Mabuza, there are around 22 000 rhinos in South Africa, accounting for 93 percent of the world's rhino population. The rhino population is said to be growing at a rate of six percent a year.

"So while all of us should be worried, it should be noted that the killings have not yet threated the rhino population in general. But if we continue at this rate (of killing), we will start seeing a decline by 2015," Mabuza said.

SANPARKS needs about 1 600 additional rangers to patrol in the Kruger National Park but this would mean an addition R200 million in the budget.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201201160946.html

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #201927 - 08/02/12 04:09 AM

We need to hear of more poachers arrested just like those 2. "The trial, won't be lengthy".

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: South Africa: Local Rhino Poachers Shot Dead [Re: DarylS]
      #201947 - 08/02/12 07:39 AM

Quote:

We need to hear of more poachers arrested just like those 2. "The trial, won't be lengthy".

Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition...

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: South Africa: Local Rhino Poachers Shot Dead [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #201948 - 08/02/12 07:41 AM

Sweet justice if ever I saw it.

Now to get the other poachers and deliver the same fate.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: South Africa: Local Rhino Poachers Shot Dead [Re: 500Nitro]
      #201956 - 08/02/12 11:39 AM

Excellent!

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: South Africa: Local Rhino Poachers Shot Dead [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #201957 - 08/02/12 11:55 AM

Pulls on the Heart strings & churns the guts

Ok good to shoot the poachers , but the poor old African is not the real problem (well some) you need to go to the retail end (meaning the buy & supply firms/famliys) & kill them all down the chain AND there families , problem solved in one generation !

Some public awareness & propaganda that Rhino horn has no medical value would help to , this is going to get much worse as some Asian country's find (steal) more wealth !

Tigers , Indian Ele , too !

Edited by Sarg (08/02/12 07:33 PM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: South Africa: Local Rhino Poachers Shot Dead [Re: Sarg]
      #201985 - 08/02/12 06:48 PM

I´ve thought about this, as above the end user is the problem. If I were the SA govt I would infiltrate the poaching end and then let slip a BIG consignment of fake horns (easy to do I reckon, it is just keratin so it can´t be beyond the realms of the labs to sort something) but in the fakes impregnate them with a poison. The person as the end buyer who uses it !!! Bingo. Pretty soon demand would dry up, best, Mike

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: South Africa: Local Rhino Poachers Shot Dead [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #201986 - 08/02/12 07:33 PM

Agree Mike, and I think that may have been done before
but well worth causing worry.

A bit like the military "doctoring" the enemy's ammo,
but only a bit of it, they just don't know which bit !!! LOL

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: South Africa: Local Rhino Poachers Shot Dead [Re: 500Nitro]
      #201991 - 08/02/12 08:14 PM

2 poachers dead is a good start, but I also agree with trying to get rid of the end user by doctoring the product. A bunch of dead rich asians would undoubtedly put a damper on the market.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: South Africa: Local Rhino Poachers Shot Dead [Re: EricD]
      #201993 - 08/02/12 08:40 PM

A PH once told me they should put an amount of radioactive material in a rhino tusk so that it kills everyone it comes into contact with along the whole poaching-supply chain.

BTW this PH was also connected with one of the biggest poaching-smuggling chains in Africa ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500Nitro
.450 member

#201997 - 08/02/12 09:21 PM

NitroX

Good in theory, but it will also contaminate everything it comes into contact with.

As well as setting off every Radioactive alarm system in every city, air port and sea port in the world !!!

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: South Africa: Local Rhino Poachers Shot Dead [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #202010 - 09/02/12 01:26 AM

Quote:

Excellent!

AGREED---BEST NEWS I HAVE HEARD ALL DAY..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
Re: South Africa: Local Rhino Poachers Shot Dead [Re: Ripp]
      #202160 - 11/02/12 01:20 AM

Rhino dies in anti-poaching demo by conservationists

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/201...onservationists

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: South Africa: Local Rhino Poachers Shot Dead [Re: Story]
      #202162 - 11/02/12 01:27 AM

Thanks. Go to keep a story of greenies killing rhinos ...

Rhino dies in anti-poaching demo by conservationists

Workers hold a rhino during a media demonstration at the Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve outside Johannesburg, South Africa, on Thursday. The rhino later died.

By msnbc.com staff and news services

A conservation group demonstrating an anti-poaching method for reporters in South Africa accidentally killed the rhinoceros they were using in the demonstration.

The rhino, nicknamed Spencer, went into convulsions and died after he was shot with a tranquilizer dart in front of a crush of TV cameras and photographers who had been invited to document an operation to insert a poison capsule into his horn.

The private reserve near the capital, Pretoria, calls in veterinarians to sedate rhinos so their horns can be treated with a dye and an insecticide, and tracking and identification devices can be inserted.
advertisement

A male in his mid to late 20s, fairly old for such an animal, could not be revived after being sedated Thursday, said Rhino Rescue Project spokeswoman Lorinda Hern.

"The rhino had an unfortunate reaction to the anesthesia," she said. "Every time you dart a rhino, you take a risk that the rhino might not wake up and unfortunately today was one of those days."

Conservation groups insert poison capsules into the horns of rhinos, which release poison into the horn when it is removed from the animal and are meant to render the horn value-less for hunters seeking to sell it on for use in traditional medicine.

Conservation groups sometimes remove horns from rhinos to deter poachers, as msnbc.com's Dara Brown reported in the video below. The horns are similar to hair or fingernails, and grow back after several months.

Both anti-poaching procedures require the rhinos to be sedated.

A decade ago South Africa, with more than 20,000 rhinos, was losing about 15 animals a year to poachers. But poaching has increased dramatically since about 2007 as the spread of wealth in places like Vietnam and Thailand has enabled more people to buy rhino horn, which is believed to have magical or medicinal properties in some cultures.

A record 448 rhinos were killed by poachers last year in South Africa, home to the greatest number of the animals. The number was up sharply up from 122 in 2009 and 333 in 2010, according to a report by AllAfrica.com. A majority were killed in the Kruger National Park, which borders on Mozambique, the report said.

"It's sad for us; it's the loss of another animal," Hern said, referring to the rhino's death. "It's a death that I still chalk up to poaching."

Msnbc.com staff and Reuters contributed to this report.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #202317 - 12/02/12 09:52 PM

A record 448 rhinos were killed by poachers last year in South Africa, home to the greatest number of the animals. The number was up sharply up from 122 in 2009 and 333 in 2010, according to a report by AllAfrica.com. A majority were killed in the Kruger National Park, which borders on Mozambique,

I wonder how long sustainable numbers will last at this rate?
Bloody shame that!
Thank god there are quite a few Rhino protected within the many sport hunting Reserves of RSA,Zimbabwe and Namibia.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3640

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com