Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail?
      #19813 - 19/10/04 06:38 AM

Many posters are always asking which new rifle to buy? what calibre? double of bolt? Many say they cannot afford a double, especially since most people think they will not use a big bore double that much. While I would want a bigger gun if I was a PH, or if I knew I was going to make multiple trips to Africa and shoot multiple buff and elephant, There is one calibre double that bears taking a look at.
I have been using a 9,3x74R Chapuis double rifle for over 6 years. I have 2 scopes for it, a 2.5-8 Leupold with the heavy duplex, and a Swarovski 1.5-6x42 with the illuminated circle dot reticle. Both are in QD mounts.
This rifle just may be the best Allround rifle on the Planet. There might be times when you might want a more powerful rifle [as stated above], and it might not be the best antelope, sheep and goat rifle, but if you can aford those types of hunts, you can afford more rifles.
For everything else including brown bear and the occasional buffalo or elephant the 9,3x74R will do the job, and it is not too big for all the other stuff. It is a rifle you can use on almost every hunt.
My Chapuis weighs 7 1/4 lbs without the scope. It handles like a fine .410 shotgun. The stock works well with iron sights and fits perfect with the scope. My rifle is the UGEX, the lowest price of the Chapuis. The 9,3x74R's are usually much less expensive than the bigger bores.
I have used loads from 193 grains to 300 grains. Mostly I use 286 grain bullets.
I have taken skunks, armadillos, jackrabbits, beaver, bobcat, coyotes [all problem animals in some areas], turkeys, wild pigs, deer, blackbear, impala, jackel, civetcat, klipspringer, baboon, waterbuck, and kudu.
Shots have been taken at ranges from 5 yards to just over 300 yards. The 9,3 kills big game well, and yet does not destroy a lot of edible meet on the smaller big game.
I have found the fast handling and the quick one-two shots from this double rifle to be far superior as a hunting rifle over a bolt action, or any other action type.
Many times I have taken 2 animals at the same time with a quick right and a left, other times I have been able to put 2 shots into an animal before he was able to get out of sight behind cover. I could not have made those shots with a bolt rifle.
The double rifle takes down for travel, making it less likely to be damaged in baggage. You could even break it down and put it in your pack if hunting in rough steep country, or after the kill when carrying out game.
I know there are several members here that have 9,3 double rifles [and some with 375H&H doubles], that can add to what I have said, [feel free to do so ].
I suggest anyone thinking about a new rifle give a 9,3x74R double rifle some serious thought.
Be advised however .... after you use it for a while you may find 90% of your other rifles obsolete.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail? [Re: NE450No2]
      #19817 - 19/10/04 12:34 PM

...i think that you have said it well, and would add the following comments...

...you can usually add an extra pair of 20 gauge smooth bore barrels to most 9.3x74r actions to make for a true 'one gun' kit for world-wide hunting exploits...

...for anything less than big bore dg doubles (read .450ne, .470ne, etc.), i also believe that the 9.3x74r is the way to go for the reasons that you have suggested...some additional reasons include the ready availability of ammo and brass (as opposed to, say, the .375 flanged), the fact that the cartridge uses a rimmed case and the mild recoil that most 9.3's are able to achieve (thus assisting in sight acquisition, aim and followup shots)...

...having read the literature (especially 'the perfect shot' by doc robertson (?)), looked at the ballistics charts (especially norma's charts), and used the cartridge in the field, i believe that the 9.3 is a superior bullet sectional density-wise, and may well achieve superior results and ballistics (especially penetration) at distances in excess of 100 yards (when compared to, say, the .375 flanged or even factory loaded .375hhs)...

...just some personal observations...

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #19821 - 19/10/04 01:04 PM

As a fellow Chapuis 9.3x74r owener I endorse your recomendations

I would add the 9.3x74r is a very pleasant cartridge to shoot both on the shoulder and the wallet. Its a good cartridge for a wide variety of game and will not beat the hell our of you when you use it. Also when reloaded not too expensive either. Great double for North America, Europe or wherever. I'd love to go to Africa one day and try it out on a duggaboy...

Though I must admit I've had some problems with Chapuis, both in the finishing of my rifle and their abismal customer service... I'd still recomend the caliber in a nice double rifle, but I perhaps would recomend another maker. In hindsight I wish I would have gotten a Heym or Demas...

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

NE450No2
.375 member

Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail? [Re: Chasseur]
      #19823 - 19/10/04 02:25 PM

Chasseur
What problems have you had with the company and your Chapuis double?

NE450No2
.375 member

Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail? [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #19825 - 19/10/04 02:31 PM

Thomas
You are correct. If I knew then what I know now I would have bought a higher grade Chapuis [I really like pretty wood ] with an extra set of 20 ga. bbls and maybe another extra set of bbls in 20ga by 9,3x74R. I have found having a rifle and a shotgun in your hands at the same time to be handy in Texas, Montana, and Alaska.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #19834 - 19/10/04 11:23 PM

Gent's I don't have a Chapaius or 9,3x74R, but I do own a Merkel 375H&H 140-2 Safari. The gun is nearly perfect. It was less than $8000 new, the fit and finish is flawless, has an unconditional 5 year warrenty, and shoots like a house of fire. I recently competed in the Big Game Club Match at Lodi and walk away with 3 trophys. I won the nitro 1 class, pulled a second in charging animal and snap (8 shots in 35 sec.) competing against bolt guns with scopes! And I did not do that sissy one barrel shooting. I shoot both barrels.
Now, what about the 375 H&H? It packs more punch than the 9,3 when you need it, but can be loaded way down, as I do with my 235 grain soft points. My one/two shots are lightning fast. Finally, it only cost me $0.75 per shot.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail? [Re: bonanza]
      #19837 - 20/10/04 12:25 AM

In reply to:

Now, what about the 375 H&H? It packs more punch than the 9,3 when you need it, but can be loaded way down, as I do with my 235 grain soft points. My one/two shots are lightning fast. Finally, it only cost me $0.75 per shot.

Bonanza

It is still a high pressure, belted rimless cartridge.

(Thanks Mac)

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Edited by mickey (20/10/04 08:48 AM)

unspellable
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Iowa
      #19841 - 20/10/04 02:45 AM

Where do you get the 300 grain bullets? I've been beating the bushes for years for a 300 grain bullet.

I have a 400-360 wich calls for a 0.367 diameter bullet but he 9.3 mm at 0.366 is probably as close as I am going to get. (My barrels measure 0.3665 groove to groove.)

bonanza
.400 member

Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail? [Re: mickey]
      #19843 - 20/10/04 04:32 AM

True, it is a high pressure belted case, but in today's gun that is not relevent. Today's guns are much stronger than the old british guns where presure would be a danger. I've had this discussion before, and I think it is borne out of ignorance and just passing on what one has heard before. I have shot over 250 rounds without single stuck case and the action is just at tight as new. I would say to anyone considering a 375H&H in a new double, do it.

--------------------

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"Yo! Mr. White"

Chasseur
.375 member

#19845 - 20/10/04 05:07 AM

450no2,

I’ve had several problems with the rifle. They did not regulate the rifle when I ordered it with the load I asked for. I asked for 286gr norma Alaskans, they regulated it with the cartridge that they had specifically made for the French market for their guns in 232gr oryx. Ammo that is practically impossible to get here in the US. It just does not regulate with the 286s, shooting "apart" as Wright would say. I've been able to play a bit with handloads but not what I want. After delivery they refused to take the gun back or give me a new one. They got my measurements all wrong and gave me a rifle with a ridiculously long LOP something in the order of 16.5” (mine is about 14.5” for rifles, and little over 15 for a SxS shotgun).

After a year of using the rifle the interior latch/catch that holds the top lever open when the action is open broke two weeks before a hunt. I gave it to Greg Wolf and he told me that Chapuis had simply not bothered to finish inside of the action! Also the hammers were not properly hardened and had started to mushroom over, and had to be replaced by Greg. I am having the rifle re-regulated by JJ Perodeau. Total cost of having this rifle fixed the way it should have been as not made me very happy. After my experiences and talking to several French hunters, I have heard the same stories over and over again: soft hammers and incomplete finishing on the actions.

Customer service has been awful. Non responses to phone messages and emails. Now before the franco-phobes start explaining that away as anti-Americanism, I speak pretty good French and I’ve had French friends call them and their customer service is just plain rude, and incompetent to all… I’ve met scant few French hunters who think highly of their products, thier quality control, or their customer service (even meet some that quit the company because they were disgusted by their sloppiness), Chapuis seems to know this and is shifting their emphasis on trying to export more guns trying to become “the largest maker of double rifles in the world” and being the leader here in the US for doubles.

Really makes me mad, because when I was looking for a double rifle in 9.3 I had many options. I went with Chapuis over Demas, Rippamonti, Gaucher etc, because of this reputation they have over here. Boy was I wrong...

--------------------
-Machiavelli

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail? [Re: Chasseur]
      #19847 - 20/10/04 07:57 AM

CHASSEUR I'm sorry to hear of your problems with your Chapuis double rifle, or rather the maker! I'm glad, however, that you posted this here, because I have been thinking about buying a 470NE Chapuis, a thought quickly forgotten today!

I know NE450No2, personally, and can bear witness to, not only his shooting ability, but the accuracy of his Chapuis double rifle chambered for 9.3X74R. I witnessed him shooting a coyote hitting it with two shots, one from each barrel, at a measured distance of 317 yds.

As far as I know, he has not had any trouble with his rifle, and if the factory is as bad as I'm hearing, I hope he doesn't! I have a Merkel 9.3X74R double, and have been very happy with it. As far as useing it on Mbogo, I would have no qualms in doing just that, and in fact intend to, on my next trip to Zambia! This is the third double rifle I have owned, and hunted with, chambered for 9.3X74R, and they have all been top notch, and have made the little doubles my favorite rifles. Though I have owned many doubles, in many chamberings, the little double chambered for 9.3X74R has become my first choice in most cases!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#19848 - 20/10/04 08:02 AM

In reply to:

Bonanza

It is still a high pressure, rimmed cartridge.

MICKEY , I think you ment to say "BELTED RIMLESS" .

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail? [Re: bonanza]
      #19849 - 20/10/04 08:33 AM

In reply to:

True, it is a high pressure belted case, but in today's gun that is not relevent. Today's guns are much stronger than the old british guns where presure would be a danger.

BONANZA It is true that modern steel, used in firearms of today, is much better than the, mostly IRON, of the old days! However, the breaktop double rifle is still 18th century technology, and are definently not suited to high pressures. There is a sound reason the 375H&H Flanged was loaded to lower pressures, than the belted rimless round. That reason was, the rimless was made for bolt rifles, and the flanged was made for doubles, and break-top singleshots. Addtionally, the tiny pawls used in double rifles for use with belted rimless rounds, are problematic, when paired with African talcum powder dust, or sticky cases. You may use your Merkel for years without problem, but pray when a problem occures, it is not in the face of a big buff! Things that you see smoking, are usually caused by fire someplace, and this one has been smoking for about 90 years, and the 375 H&H, in doubles, is the cause of the fire, that long ago! However, the chambering of this type cartridge was only started again in the late fifties, when the old NE rounds became hard to find. It wasn't a good idea, but they had no choice, if the wanted a big bore double, the 458 Win Mag, and the 375 H&H, both belted, and high pressure, were the only choice. Most of the 458s have been re-chambered to 450NE, or 450No2NE, and re-regulated, but the 375 H&H has to be re-barreled, so those can still be found, but that doesn't make either of these rounds a very good choice in a double! I wish this were not true, because the 375 H&H is one of my all time favorite rounds, so you can beleive if I thougt it was a prudent idea, I would have one!

--------------------

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #19850 - 20/10/04 09:00 AM

Mac

To many people think it is the steel and not the design that precludes the high pressure cartridges. Thanks for pointing it out, again.

Couple that with the itsy bitsy, teeney weenie springs that act with the pawls and failure, at some point, is inevitable.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Chasseur
.375 member

Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #19852 - 20/10/04 10:50 AM

Duggaboy thanks for your kind words.

I am glad that NE450no2 has posted about his Chapuis, its gives me faith in my rifle for the future. I do like the rifle. The way it handles, the nice triggers, how fast I can dump out the empties and load two more carts. I love the cartrige too.

I hope that when JJ gets done with it that will put it right. I really would like to use it on game but in the three-four years I've had it its spent more time in the shop than with me...

Thanks guys!

--------------------
-Machiavelli

NE450No2
.375 member

#19853 - 20/10/04 10:53 AM

I have between 1000 and 1200 rounds fired through my Chapuis. Two hundred or so factory rounds, the rest handloads.
My Chapuis was factory regulated with RWS 293 gr.TUG. It shoots good with 232 Norma, 286gr. Sellier and Belliot [sp] 286gr Norma Alaska, 286gr.RWS Soft Point, Superior Ammo loads with 286 Woodleigh Softs and Solids, 286gr. Nosler Partitions, 300 Swift A Frames,320 Woodleigh Softs and Solids, and my reloads with 270 Speer, 285 gr. Hawks, 286 Nosler Partitions, and 286gr. Woodleigh Softs and Solids.
With many of these loads I can use the same zero to 200 yards. While some loads shoot better than others all shoot good enough to hunt big game with.
The www.superiorammo.com loads with 286gr Nosler Partitions, and the Woodleigh Softs and Solids shoot the best. Their 300gr Swift A Frames shot good too.
I have not had any problems with my Chapuis.

A friend of mine just bought a Chapuis in 470, I will keep us updated on its performance.

seroadglide
.275 member

Reged: 06/05/04
Loc: West Tenn., USA
      #19864 - 20/10/04 12:17 PM

I own a Chapuis in 9.3x74R; I've only had it about six months. The inside of the carrying case indicates a manufacture date of 1978. I have put something over 300 rounds through it with no problems noted. I purchased it used and have no record of the number of rounds fired by the previous owner. As best I can tell it would be classed as a REX but does not have all the features listed on the Chapuis webpage for that model. It has engraved plates but the grip cap is not engraved; it does not have a cheek piece. The wood is nice. I tried several different powder and bullet combinations to find one that worked substantially better than the rest. I am impressed with the accuracy of this rifle/ammo combination.

I had considered purchasing a double for a while and examined various options. I had considered a Merkel; I own a Merkel sxs 20 ga. and am happy with the feel and performance. The wood is very nice. I am not overly impressed with the general fit of the metal pieces to the wood. Checkering overruns are obvious. This was also the case with the Merkel double rifle I looked at. The one I looked at was also in 416 Rigby; I did not want a rimless cartridge. Some may consider this scrutiny of cosmetics as nit picking, but I feel that a $6,500+ rifle should offer more than the Merkel did. I also looked at a Heym. I liked it a lot but could not get past the chambering; it was in 458 Win. Fit and finish were excellent. Had the Heym been in a different caliber, I would probably own it now.

I personally do not know nor have I dealt with the folks at Champlin's. I know people that have, and I have only heard positive comments and recommendations. I do know that their webpage has complimentary words to say about Chapuis doubles. The overall wood to metal fit, checkering, etc. are head and shoulders above the Merkel products I have seen (and the one I own). I do not say this to offend; this has simply been my observation. I may someday own a Merkel double rifle. I have thought about getting one in a smaller caliber like say 7x65r, 30R Blaser(though I know little about this chambering), 8x57IRS, or even the 6.5x57r.

I do wish my Chapuis had provisions for mounting a scope. It does not have the removable blocks. While I might never mount a scope, I would like the option. I do like the feel without a scope, but I also like the light gathering ability of good scopes both early and late in the day.

My best load so far accuracy wise has been with the Speer 270gr using VV N135. I tried the Speer with several other powders; the next best load used IMR4064. I briefly tried Nosler 250gr ballistic tips but did not really pursue a good loading for them. I now have some Lapua 18.5g Mega bullets to try when personal time is more plentiful.

Douglas Mays
Happy Chapuis 9.3x74R owner and budding double addict.

NE450No2
.375 member

Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail? [Re: seroadglide]
      #19867 - 20/10/04 12:44 PM

Douglas,
JJ Perodeau at Champlins can install claw mounts on your Chapuis. A scope on a 9,3 really enhances its hunting ability.
65 grains of IMR 4831 shoots very good in my Chapuis with 286 Woodleigh Softs, 286 Nosler Partitions, and 285 Hawks with the .035jkt. They all hit in the same group to 200 yards.
With the 270 Speer 59 grains of RL-15 shot good also.

vigillinus
.300 member

Reged: 11/12/03
      #19870 - 20/10/04 01:02 PM

I have a splendid double 9.3 over 20 ga that keeps 8 shots inside 3" at 100 from rest, but I wish to present a heretical thought: for North America the Holy Grail, at less than 1/10 the cost, just might happen to be my Remington 7600 pump rifle in .35 Whelen. Now you guys can howl for my blood !!

jgttechjunkie
.275 member

Reged: 20/02/04
Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail [Re: NE450No2]
      #19875 - 20/10/04 02:05 PM

In the US Charles Prince at Euroguns sells Chapuis, Krieghoff and Heym. He might be one source to compare the relative merits of Heym and Chapuis.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #19876 - 20/10/04 02:14 PM

Did someone just say "9.3x74R"?

It is no secret that I like the 9.3. It is neither fish, nor fowl, but it does about anything I'll ever need. I liken it to the 16 gauge. Both are classic old rounds, and both are making a come back...for good reason. They both provide adaquate power for almost any type hunting...in a lighter, trimmer package.

My present 9.3x74R DR is an N. Lejot built on a Merkel 203 type sidelock action in 1930. It handles and points like a 20 gauge. It took me a while to figure out the right load...286 Nosler Partitions at 2300 fps... The added bonus is the second set of barrels in 16/8x57jr w/scope in claws.

It is now decision time. I have it for sale, but am not pressed to sell it. I'd like to get back over for one more buffalo hunt, and this would get me much of the way there. The other alternative is to keep it and have it scoped in either a 4x or 6x Hensoldt rail mount w/claws. I have the scopes.

If I keep it I will be looking to have a set of 16 ga barrels made for it. Who does this kind of work at a price an average mortal could afford?

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

NE450No2
.375 member

Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail? [Re: vigillinus]
      #19877 - 20/10/04 02:26 PM

vigillinus
I stand by my original statement "The 9,3x74R Double Rifle
is The Holy Grail of hunting rifles."

I will now add "The Remington Pump is the Garbage Pail of hunting rifles."

I do not really think that about the Remington Pump or the 35 Whelen, but it was too good a come back.... I could not resist.

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail [Re: NE450No2]
      #19890 - 21/10/04 01:38 AM

The November 2004 (Vol. 7 No. 10) issue of The Accurate Rifle magazine has a nice little article on the 9.3x74R.

http://www.theaccuraterifle.com/tarmag_2004_11_frame.html

Home page:
http://www.theaccuraterifle.com/

-Bob F.

unspellable
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Iowa
Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail [Re: BFaucett]
      #19894 - 21/10/04 03:54 AM

The pressure issue with double rifles has nothing to do with the strength of the action and never did. A 12 gauge will put as much or more back thrust on the action as most rifle cartridges. I've seen two examples of double rifles blown up. Both went out through the side of the barrel without damage to the action.

The reason pressure was an issue is extraction. The double simply does not have the mechanical advantage a bolt does on extraction. You don't want sticky cases in a sticky situation. The biggest improvement here since the advent of smokeless powder has been in the cases them selves, not the rifles. The original problem was at it's worst with nitro for BP loads in the old thin BP cases and in BP chambers that were a bit pitted.

Modern steel is an improvement on the old, but the old was quite up to the job.

bonanza
.400 member

Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail [Re: unspellable]
      #19895 - 21/10/04 04:40 AM

Unspellable, thank you for shedding some light on a subject with some actual facts. I'll paraphrase some other facts I have heard regarding the double rifle. Back thrust is a function of PxA where P=pressure and A=area of head, therefore the small head of the 375 produces no more thrust than a 470 nitro; the main cause of a breach coming off face is lack of quality grease on the hinge; and polishing your brass will help prevent sticking, With that in mind, I load my 375H&H to the lowest pressure that will regulate the gun, polish my cases and clean and grease the hinge after ever day shooting.

Also, I put a drop of qality oil down those tinny springs to prevent them from rusting and breaking.

Question, my gun has side clips. What are they for?

--------------------

"Yo! Mr. White"

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15860

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com