Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Pedersoli Rolling Block

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Pedersoli Rolling Block
      #196786 - 15/12/11 08:33 AM

Hello Folks,

I'm considering the purchase of a Pedersoli Rolling Block rifle in 45-70 caliber, the Silhouette model.

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-p...silhouette.html

The only thing that I don't like is the rear sight. A high quality barrel-mounted open sight would be an improvement, and I've been looking at the MVA "Rough and Ready" rear sight. One thing I don't like about the MVA is that the open, short range sight is at the forward end of the mechanism, thereby shortening the sight radius several inches.

I'd like to find other sights to compare. Do you know of any?

I don't like ladder-type tang-mounted aperture sights. If I go to a tang sight, I'm inclined to get a Marbles or Lyman hunting sight. Do you know if either makes a sight with hole spacing that will match the Pedersoli?

Pedersoli makes a "Lolli-pop" tang-mounted rear sight. Will it fit the Rolling Block?

Thanks for your help.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Pedersoli Rolling Block [Re: Tatume]
      #196788 - 15/12/11 10:30 AM

Tom - if you can, find and purchase a Sharps ladder rear sight. It matches well for hunting, with a silver blade front sight.

I've posted a picture of the sight I'm referring to which is on my Sharps. The Winchester m86 rear sight is very similar. They are available as reproductions, I know, but cannot remember where I saw them - actually bought one at one time and had it on my M94 Colt- which I sold.

I was just today, looking at a friend's new Pedesoli Rolling Block in .45/90. It has the same nasty sight at yours I'd think.
Push the Ctrl button and then the + repeatedly to enlarge the picture. Reduce by holding Ctrl and pushing the - button.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by CptCurl (16/12/11 10:32 PM)

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Pedersoli Rolling Block [Re: DarylS]
      #196791 - 15/12/11 11:00 AM

Hi Daryl,

Yes, that does look like the sight I'm trying to find. Am I correct that it pivots at the rear, and the open sight is also at the rear?

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Pedersoli Rolling Block [Re: Tatume]
      #196797 - 15/12/11 12:19 PM

Exactly - as you can see, the wings at the rear, being held in a dovetail, are only guides. Sight itself is of 2 pieces, a spring that has a screw at it's front, holding it to the barrel, and the top swivelling piece that has the ladder, is hinged at the rear, between the 'ears'. This partcular sight is an original Sharps Carbine sight, as noted (I think I did) Even though it has a simple V rear notch, I routinely shoot 3 shot rest 1 1/2" groups @ 100meters with a 506gr.(Lyman mould) cast RN w/GC.

This smokeless load does 1,650fps from my .45 1.9" Sharps 35" bl. Using this roudimentary sigthing system, I was able to hit an orange steel plate 2 out of 3 shots at 228 yards, just over 200 meters. The plate was only 4 1/2" wide by 2 3/4" tall. Had it not been mostly orange it wouldn't have been visible to me - as it was just an orange dot. They are good hunting sights.
The one on my .45 Colt was very similar. I'm sure Winchester copied the Sharps sight, for their M86.
Browning or Pedersoli might be able to supply a sight. I think I bought the Winchester sight originally from Pedersoli, but aren't sure.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by CptCurl (16/12/11 10:32 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3156

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com