Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A Modern Mauser

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Dr_Deer
.300 member

Reged: 23/02/09
Loc: Australia
A Modern Mauser
      #191255 - 04/10/11 12:46 PM

for homer

Mauser M96 straight pull, AFAIK one of the last Mausers to be stamped Oberndorf as Mauser-werke was reorganised and Mauser Jagdwaffen GmbH now operates out of Isny.

Edited by CptCurl (28/11/11 12:35 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A Modern Mauser [Re: Dr_Deer]
      #191280 - 04/10/11 09:14 PM

Dr D,

Must be a "toy" gun as it has a "red tip" on the barrel!

Is it yours? What calibre?

Good eating potential there too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Dr_Deer
.300 member

Re: A Modern Mauser [Re: NitroX]
      #191342 - 05/10/11 11:22 AM

Yep, picked it up over a decade ago from a grey importer (it also has US markings).

It's a .270 Win and was sitting along side another in .243 Win when I bought it, which is a bit odd when the manual only lists them as being made in .25,06, .270, 7x64, .308, .30-06 & 7mm Rem Mag.

I've since seen a M97 - the same action but with a detachable magazine marketed a year later - in .300 Win Mag with Sig Sauer markings which leaves me pondering the chronology of the process that saw Mauser-werke become Mauser Jagdwaffen and precisely where these guns were assembled.

And the hind was indeed good eating

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #191407 - 06/10/11 06:16 PM

G'Day Fella's,

dr deer er Col, this is the first time I have viewed this thread.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think I was aware of this Mauser model's (M95 & M96) existance?
Nice bit of kit!
Is it an interchangeable/switch barrel design?

If this Mauser's bolt handle moves just slightly back and forward (like the Blaser), I would have basically described the bolt handle's actuation as;
The bolt handle pivots in a To and Fro motion. During the bolts initial movement to the rear (To), it rotates and unlocks the bolt head/locking lugs (if that is the case?). When pushed forward (Fro), during the last portion of its forward travel, it again rotates the bolt head/locking lugs into battery. Or something like that.

Dr Deer er Col, I wasn't aware of the Strasser Rifle but I have had a brief play with a Heym straight pull. Also a Heym center fire that has, what appear to be ball bearings at the front of the bolt, that retract back into the bolt body when unlocked/rotated? Or is that one and the same rifle?

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Dr_Deer
.300 member

Re: A Modern Mauser [Re: Homer]
      #191436 - 07/10/11 01:57 PM

Unfortunately the M96 & M97 weren't marketed as a switch barrel design, even though the bolt locks up into a collar on the barrel and the barrel is only clamped in the receiver by two horizontal bolts (in a similar arrangement to the Sauer 202).

I get the feeling it was Mausers answer to the R93, and they strived to make something lighter (2.8kg max), higher capacity (5 rounds), and more "traditional" (16 lugs vs a collett) rather than compete as a switch barrel.

Given the action type, the M95 that I was drawing the comparison with is the work of Ferdinand Ritter von Mannlicher from a century before http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....p;vc=1&nt=3
As discussed most modern straight pulls have the bolt knob travelling a longer path than the bolt head during the cycling process, the Helix being a notable exception.

BTW you can save on keyboard wear by just typing Doc

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #191439 - 07/10/11 04:37 PM

DR Deer

It would be great if you could post more photos of that model Mauser.

The bolt by itself for example. Thanks.

It is a model I have not seen before.

Another reason for its lack of success, might be the designation ie M96 being confused with the Model of 1896 or the weaker Swedish Mauser.

If that model Mauser M96 has a capacity of 5 rounds it easily outdoes the Blaser with its tiny magazine capacity. One of its failings. And the new combined magazine/trigger of the latest Blaser R8 will be looked at with "awe" (sarcasm) IMO by future firearm enthusiasts.

If the rifle is also lightish, the M96 sounds again like an improvement on other recent Mauser designs which always seem to be very heavy - M66, M03, M77(?).

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Dr_Deer
.300 member

Re: A Modern Mauser [Re: NitroX]
      #191446 - 07/10/11 05:15 PM

I'll see what I can do.
The manual has an exploded diagram that I can scan if people are interested.

Not sure if it was bad naming or just bad timing this design/rifle came out only 2 years before the Centenary of the Mauser 98 and was dropped when Mauser-Werke became Mauser Jagdwaffen in 1999.
"Mauser" went from "innovative" (some might say novel for novels sake such as a front locking rimfire) designs, back to the classic 98 and then to a design that complemented rather than competed with their neighbour (sister company) in Isny.

Dr_Deer
.300 member

#191557 - 10/10/11 04:32 PM

For those interested here's the exploded diagram from the instruction manual:

and bolt:

Unfortunately my camera wasn't up to the task of focussing on the recessed boltface; extractor and ejector so I hope you get the idea from these.

The diagram makes it appear as if the front bolt lines up somewhere in the middle of the forend, it actually screws into the bottom of the barrel clamp under the front receiver ring.

Edited by CptCurl (28/11/11 12:36 AM)

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #191607 - 11/10/11 07:20 AM

The bolt looks a bit dry DD,however its refreshing to see the blue worn as a working rifle shows rather than many of the safe queens that are posted in places with nary a mark on them..

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: A Modern Mauser [Re: gryphon]
      #191633 - 11/10/11 08:23 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Gryphon, it is also good to see dr deer er Col, is no longer superstitious about carrying a camera, when he goes hunting!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
Re: A Modern Mauser [Re: Homer]
      #192972 - 03/11/11 10:06 PM

Actually the information supplied even with the rifles by mauser was incorrect. I have yet tos hear of one using the twin coil springs in the magazine. All I have seen and heard of use the std mauser zig-zag spring. As for calibres well this was my one in 6.5x55:-

I acquired the rifle new and found it good for shooting the Running deer at Bisley. It prefered the Speer 140 grain bullet to the Speer 120. Neither shot poorly just grouping was a bit tighter with the 140's. As for weight they are not heavy at all and make a nice stalking rifle although the action confuses guides and Ghilles some what.

Mounts are Hilvers and the scope a 3-9x42 Lisenfeld Spezial.

I sold it to a friend the other year to make room for another BSA. I believe there is a gunshop in South London that still has two new ones on the shelf. a .243 and .308.

Edited by CptCurl (28/11/11 12:37 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19671

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com