Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Elephant hunting

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Elephant hunting
      #1912 - 07/03/03 06:10 PM

This is probably one of the most magnificent animals to walk earth.There is a lot of myths and tales about the big giants.
The first "myth" that I would like to have your views on is weather it is true and practical and wise to take some of your clothing off and through it down on the ground ,if you are trying to escape from a charging elephant.It has been claimed that by doing this the elephant will "fight" with your shirt lying on the floor because of the human scent that is on there.And for this you can make your great escape.My first argument is that weather this is true or not,will you have time rip your shirt or jacket off???

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
Re: Elephant hunting [Re: Bigfive]
      #1915 - 07/03/03 08:04 PM

Bigfive,

The elephant has always been at the top of my list and I'm hoping that a hunt will happen in a couple of years. While I have no ele experience, on two different occasions I've tossed my Filson Packer(hat) in the direction of two cow moose that were charging after I got too close to their calves. Worked like a charm as they stomped that for a bit, maybe 20-30 seconds, giving me a chance to get behind a large tree or alder bunch. I don't know if it would work on an ele but at 53 years old(41 years hunting) I don't get out of the way as well as I used to but I can always hope. I've retired that hat and I hope that the new one will be as effective. The jury is still out on that point.

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

Mpofu
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/03
      #1917 - 07/03/03 11:44 PM

I don't know about leaving items of clothing on the ground, but after I shot an old tuskless cow in the Zambezi valley, one of her mates decided to come after us.
We made a hasty retreat through the jesse, and I could hear the 'thonk,thonk' as she banged her trunk on the ground in an effort to pick our ground scent up.
The upshot of it all was she had to be shot as she got a bit too close .
M.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #1926 - 08/03/03 01:38 AM

BigFive

That is why - and you know I always tell the truth - I always hunt in a shirt with studs rather than buttons - so it can be ripped off in a hurry.

Usually it is a ravenous feline that does this in a hurry, but I guess it would come in handy elephant hunting.

If I couldn't get it off myself quick enough I guess the ele could just rip it off for me - along with arms, legs, head. I heard they can play a mean game of football with a head

PS Have you been back to that Jo'burg pub / restaurant yet to check it out better ?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Elephant hunting [Re: NitroX]
      #1936 - 08/03/03 04:38 PM

The best insurance when hunting elephant is to always carry a handgun. There is never a need to outrun the Elephant, just to outrun the tracker. so you shoot the tracker in the leg and stroll away!

Also did you know that contrary to popular opinion Elephants have their sexual organs on the base of their feet. The reason for this, is that if an Elephant stamps on you, you're f****d!

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Bigfive
Sponsor

Re: Elephant hunting [Re: shakari]
      #1997 - 11/03/03 07:40 PM

I'm not sure but I want to stay out of a situation where I'll have to run from an elephant.

Good idea with the handgun there mate!!!!!!!!!! I think you can use that strategy on any of the dangerous animals here in Africa

--------------------
Bigfive,South Africa

shakari
.400 member

#2056 - 14/03/03 04:43 AM

If anyone's interested I can offer crop raiding Elephants in Mozambique for US$5000 each. The other cost is of course camp fees, but you can book a 7 day buff package for less than US$6500 inc the Buff so you take a Buff & an Elephant for less than $11500. I know it's a shed load of money, but it's a shed load of hunt as well, and a lot cheaper than elsewhere!

Cheers

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (14/03/03 02:34 PM)

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #2060 - 14/03/03 07:37 AM

Bigfive
Sponsor

Re: Elephant hunting [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #2061 - 14/03/03 06:32 PM

Just some interesting facts on elephants:

An elephants front feet are round and the back feet are oval.To determine more or less the size or the height of an elephants shoulder by looking at the tracks you multiply the circumference of the front foot by 2 1/2(2 and a half)
So if the cirumference is 1 meter the shoulder height is more or less 2.5meters.Off all the 4 legged animals here in Africa(excl primates) the elephant cow is the only one with the tits between the front legs and only 2 not 4 and she'll be pregnant for 22 months before the calf is born.Aslo elephants are the only 4 legged animal of wich all 4 knees bend forward like a humans legs.

Hope this was interesting

--------------------
Bigfive,South Africa

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
      #2063 - 15/03/03 01:56 AM

Shakari,

What are you trying to do ? Scare the guys or what
I'm the last person to speak as I haven't had an elephant on my back at a speed.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

shakari
.400 member

Re: Elephant hunting [Re: SafariHunt]
      #2064 - 15/03/03 05:50 PM

On a serious note, I've never seen any point in running away from any animal. I'm only a short guy with short legs, and I KNOW they can all out run me. I believe in facing them and whacking them in the right place with the right calibre.

I guess there probably are times when it pays to turn and run, but I've personally never come across one.

Cheers

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #2074 - 16/03/03 05:49 AM

I have only been on two hunts for Elephant, and they were not my hunts. I was along with a buddy of mine as a back up, and to take a couple Buffalo. After the first Ele was hit badly in the head, by my friend, I stuck two 500/450NE solids in the heart/lung area, along with one from my friend, and one from the PH, as the ele turned at 15 yds. I can tell you from that experience, if I failed to stop an ele's charge, what he would be smelling wouldn't be my shirt!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2856

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com