Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Just back from Selous and RSA!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
KWTX
.224 member

Reged: 23/03/04
Loc: Texas
Just back from Selous and RSA!
      #18851 - 03/09/04 02:43 PM

Hell of a hunt. 7 animals in TZ and 7 in South Africa, 12 species. My son and I had a great time.

It was a last chance type of trip for us and I highly recommend it for any of you in similiar circumstances. He is getting married and graduating from college, and life as he knows it will soon be over. We had an exceptional hunt, and in the process got to know each other better.

Anyway, if anyone wants to know about conditions of the country, or game, ect., I'll respond as best I can.

Edited by KWTX (22/09/04 01:24 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
Re: Just back from Selous and RSA! [Re: KWTX]
      #18859 - 03/09/04 07:14 PM

Welcome back. There's only 1 month (and a half ) left to be in Africa myself again

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #18887 - 04/09/04 01:35 AM

Welcome back. Seems like you had one great trip. Any pics to post here?

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Just back from Selous and RSA! [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #19309 - 19/09/04 09:54 AM

Somehow you are confused, your not back from the Selous if you went to Zim and RSA....The Selous is in Tanzania, East Africa.

KWTX
.224 member

Re: Just back from Selous and RSA! [Re: atkinson6]
      #19358 - 22/09/04 12:35 PM

Of course you are right Ray. I guess I was reading another post and had a brain fart.

I'd attach some pics but can't figure it out. I'll email you separately.

Keith

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #19521 - 29/09/04 05:13 AM

I cannot post pictures either, so don't feel bad, my guy Pierre van Tonder just got one of my clients that posts on AR the biggest Leopard most of us has ever seen, live he would probably go near 9 ft...He posted it over on AR..Killed him in the Selous about a week ago.

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Just back from Selous and RSA! [Re: atkinson6]
      #19758 - 14/10/04 07:07 PM

Hey man good to hear you enjoyed it.But please dont tease us.Tell us more about your safari.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

KWTX
.224 member

Re: Just back from Selous and RSA! [Re: Bigfive]
      #20033 - 26/10/04 02:17 PM

Big Five,

We overnighted at the Afton House in Jo'berg where we met several other groups of hunters on their way out. We flew to Dar the next morning and caught a charter into the MK1 of the Selous. As we left the landing strip, we saw several wild dogs and a group of wildebeast. Through out the time in TZ, game was abundant with groups of 300-400 blue wildebeast common with zebra intermixed. We saw groups of elephant every day and lion on several occasion. The giraffe were much larger than I expected them to be and they were abundant. Eland might have been taken but, they just kept on going, a trot that covers ground. We struck out on Buffalo, wind changes and just plain bad luck, although we were very close, within 50 yds., on several occasions. Never a shot at a good bull. We walked long distances in pursuit, and I mean all day. One of the Maasai trackers complained about his balls chaffing. The black PH with us suggested he tie them up with a string. It was pretty funny at the time.

Accomodations and food were great given the remoteness of the location. Vehicles were pretty well maintained and the Maasai trackers were exceptional and became friends. They are on the top of the class lines there and handle themselves very well.

I wanted a big croc and we saw his tracks on the bank. So we staked a bait in the river next to the bank and 23 (!) showed up. I only had one afternoon to hunt him and he never gave me a good shot. With all the others around I really did not want to go into the water to get him out. Perhaps that was a mistake. I don't know.

After the Selous, we flew back to South Africa and hunted a game farm for 4 days. It was a completely different kind of hunt but we were able to collect several exceptional trophies. The hosts and accomodations were exceptional.

If I had it to do again, and I will, it will be for 16 days instead of 7. Although we went with a 16 day license so we could take game as the opportunity arose, we just ran out of time.

Keith

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
      #20035 - 26/10/04 04:31 PM

Glad to hear it was good man!!!!Hope that Africa see you many more times!
Next time you are in JHB please let me know and I'll come to where ever you are staying over to meet you.This goes for everybody who needs some help in and around Jo'burg.Need to visit gunshop or need to go to shooting range I'll help you out.

Kind regards
Dantri

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

KWTX
.224 member

Re: Just back from Selous and RSA! [Re: Bigfive]
      #21037 - 20/11/04 06:06 PM

BigFive, thanks for the offer. Jo'berg can be a rough place if you have no friends to guide you.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2167

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com