Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
Orvar
.300 member

Reged: 31/12/08
Loc: London, UK
Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1)
      #188503 - 25/08/11 08:29 AM

This year my fiancé and I decide to do a “Scandinavian Safari” in lieu of the more traditional summer holidays. The plan was to start in Norway with some Reindeer hunting in the mountains, followed by a return trip to northern Sweden for Capaercaillie, Black Game, and Ptarmigan. So, this will be a two part report:

Date: 20-23 August 2011
Outfitter: Breheimen Safaries
PH: Kolbjørn & Knut
Location: the Breheimen mountain range, between Lom & Skjak, Norway
Species Taken: Reindeer

Day Zero: the outfitter recommended we come in the day prior to opening day, to hike (pack would probably be the more appropriate term) into the area, to be on the ground for opening day. We flew from London to Gothenburg, to drop off some more gear for the second part of the trip, and on to Oslo on the Thursday, finishing it off with a 5.5hr bus ride into Lom. We were recommended to stay at the Touristhotell in Lom, and try the restaurant (Fossheim), whose chef is a friend of the guides’. Wow! We are lucky enough to travel around quite a bit, and eat some pretty good food, but this guys has some mad skills! 1 Michelin Star would be easy for Kristoffer! If ever anywhere near this town, do make the trip to try the food.

Kolbjørn, one of the guides picked us up from the hotel on Friday morning, after we'd done some local sightseeing at the local fjell museum and an 800+ year old church.

Beautiful old church

We made a grocery run for the 4 days and were off to pick up Knut our other guide. It was a long drive to grab Knut, our other guide, and into the drop-off point. Where we arrived looked like something out of a Sci-Fi set, completely desolate beauty; what was left behind by a glacier some year ago.

After a brief 3hr hike into camp, we were able to settle into our new home for the coming days.

A very well appointed and stocked cabin, with room for 15+ we're told; although it would only be the 4 of us. The Norwegian Tourism board operates these and this one was fully stocked with firewood and food. We prepared a late meal, and got our heads down at about 1am, dreaming of the reindeer hunt to come.

Day 1: we got off to a late-ish start, as the fog had rolled in and the visibility was nil, along with a light but persistent rain. In the end, we only packed down to a comfortable vantage point from which to glass the 3 mile long valley below us

We made out a small herd of 7 reindeer about 2 miles away, along with a lone buck, towards the end of the afternoon. We also spotted 2 different groups of hunters trying to stalk in, but they only succeeded in pushing the heard up the valley onto a glacier out of their reach. We thought about making a stalk over and into the heard, but since the hunt must end, by law, at 7pm, we packed it in, with high hopes for the following day.

Day 2: up at the crack of oh-my-god its 5am, we were out the door with packs fully loaded for whatever. The plan was to make the 2 mile stalk down to where we'd spotted the deer feeding the following afternoon. In the end, it was a 3hr grueling stalk across some really tough terrain, with Rebecca and I taking the hurt. But, god is the scenery worth it!

Finally, not too far from exhaustion (as it had gotten quite hot and the packs weighed more than they should have), we made it to where we thought the herd would be. But, turns out we weren't alone, and 2 other groups were making a mad dash for them. Long story short: one missed ridiculously long off-hand shot from some other guys (we never met), and a spooked herd. Our shot was blown.

We did get them run by us at ~300yds. Our first sight of wild reindeer. Man are they beautiful when they're running in a herd! About 21 males all running together, with 2 very good bulls in there. An impressive sight.

We decided to stick it out down in the valley for a while, have some lunch, and see what happened. A bit tired after our light lunch, we decided to take a quick nap in our “wolverine bags” (these things are awesome!)

Rebecca taking a quick snooze

In the end, it rained (hard), and the herd disappeared over a 2,000 meter pass (never to be seen again) a we had an eventful boat ride (almost) home. The engine quit on us about 2/3rds of the way home, with the wind howling and raining pelting us in the face. Forced march home in the inclement weather for another 2.5hrs. Got home soaked to the bone. And bone tired.

After a warming meal, we made a plan for the following day. We would move down to a new cabin at the other end of the valley, in the flats, about 3 miles away

Day 3: up early, fully loaded packs, we set off for the other cabin. The engine was still dead on the boat, so Knut rowed us about 1/2-way there, before we tried the engine again, it works! We made the cabin by a little after noon. We discussed over a quick meal what the plan would be, as we hadn't seen a single reindeer all day and now the valley was completely empty of other hunters / people... weird. So, we had 2 options: a) sleep in the cabin, and attempt the following (and last) day, a 12 mile trek, with ~ 800 meters of vertical climb (just at onset, not counting the ups and downs of the trek across passes and ridges)... or b) trek 10 miles down to the road, go sleep at the guide's home, and try a completely different area for the following day. A gamble...

Considering how already physically tired we were, and knowing we couldn't make option a, even if we'd wanted to, we opted for a very long and tiring walk, but a hot shower and night's sleep in a bed. Tomorrow would be a new day and beginning (or end...)

Day 4 (last chance...): up at 5am, and after a quick coffee and toast, and short drive to the new area, on the trail by 6:30am. Not 10 yards from the car the slope is very steep, and even with the "light" packs, looks a real knee/feet/ball-buster! But, the sun is shining and things look like they could be turning for the better

At around 900 meters, having started at ~620, the trees thin out and we're met with an amazingly beautiful valley before us, and a steep climb!

At this point it’s tough mentally and physically; after 3 intense days, including the trek of the day before, it’s a challenge to keep going. But, we're positive, gotta trust the guides, no choice. So we continue to climb, making progress, while enjoying the magnificent day, weather and scenery around us

We spot a small herd of reindeer towards the top, just under the small glacier. They’re probably up there due to the warmer weather, which brings on the insects which drive them mad. This is the best chance we’ve had the whole trip, and maybe our last, time to make a move!

We finally make it up to ~1,300, and hear that the herd is only another 2-300 meters up the slope. It’s amazing the effect is has: legs become lighter, heavy packs forgotten, and our minds focus on our goal. We have 2 tags in our pockets (+ an additional one, as we’ve been told there is a cancellation, so we can take 3 should we want to) and its time to make this happen. We get to the flat up top and start moving around, to gain a better wind (as their sense of smell if the reindeers’ most important & difficult for the hunter). We’re pumped, as this could be it, but are also distracted by how absolutely beautiful it is up here, just a few hundred yards below the top of the mountain and its small glacier.

It’s like walking on eggshells in all the small rocks/stones, trying not to make a sound, as we move into position. Our first 2 attempts are in vain, as the herd is starting to move towards the glacier; as the temperature continues to rise, they’re going for the peace of the glacier. We finally think we have their path figured out, and I settle onto a nice large stone slab that’s nicely angled for me to lay prone on for a shot if they walk past us. After only ~30 seconds, we see the lead bull cresting the ridge with the herd in tow. I am pumped, this is it! I pick out the biggest bull I see toward the front of the herd (as the middle is just a mass of bulls all bunched together, which means no shot), once he gets clear… I take the second one from the front with a shot, and he’s down. The animals don’t spook (very helped here by the moderated .308 rifle), so I have time to center on a very old bull away from the rest in the confusion. Another shot, and he’s down. As the herd turn, I see a set of bright blood-red antlers that look amazing, just the sight of those in the scope within the scenery is awesome. Another shot, and he’s down too. It’s over. In > 30 seconds we finish what has been the toughest hunt for me yet. And we have 3 amazing reindeer on the ground!

The first big bull

Thick OLD bull

Last bull with those beautiful bright blood-red antlers

I think this one says it all

What a wild 4 days! It has been an emotional, and physical, rollercoaster. By far the physically toughest hunt I have ever done. We were definitely not prepared. Backpack hunting is not to be taken lightly! When, not if, I do this again, there will be a lot more research and preparation involved. Better gear and some really good physical training months before we leave.

Reindeer hunting is a tradition in Norway; one which is near and dear to local hearts, and I now most certainly understand why. For only a few weeks a year, we are privileged enough to be able to take to these beautiful mountains in search of these amazing and intriguing animals. A hunt I will most certainly never forget. Our guides, Kolbjørn and Knut, did wonderful job showing us their mountains and the breathtaking views, getting us through the physical side of the hunt (which is no small feat...), and sharing thei love of this hunt with us. Both are real outdoorsmen and gentlemen.

A trip of a lifetime!

Some more pictures of the scenery and reindeer herd

They did move to the glacier after the shots:

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1) [Re: Orvar]
      #188506 - 25/08/11 09:02 AM

What a marvelous story!!

Thanks so much.

Rifles and calibers??

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1) [Re: 9.3x57]
      #188528 - 25/08/11 04:26 PM

excellent report

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1) [Re: lancaster]
      #188529 - 25/08/11 05:08 PM

Wonderful! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1) [Re: Ben]
      #188533 - 25/08/11 06:26 PM

Very nice photos! The views up there are fantastic. I have been hunting Reindeer several times, but not with that good result. Gratulations!!! //S

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1) [Re: Ben]
      #188534 - 25/08/11 06:34 PM

Thanks for a great report! I'm glad that you enjoyed the beautiful mountains here in Norway.

Orvar
.300 member

Re: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1) [Re: EricD]
      #188535 - 25/08/11 07:04 PM

Yeah, an amazing trip! The mountains of Norway are definitely worth the trip out, and Reindeer are a lovely animal.

Rifle: Remington 700 (moderated) in .308

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
      #188539 - 25/08/11 07:25 PM

Great report and beautiful photo's mate.

How good does that camo on your sleeping bag work and blend in? Just perfect.

Rough country but pretty,I'm jealous.

Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1) [Re: FATBOY404]
      #188566 - 26/08/11 01:55 AM

Orvar

Thanks for the great story and report. Lovely photos too.

I would have trouble picking which is a trophy out of a herd of moving reindeer.

Where did the hunt take place? Which area of Norway?

Hunting in a area where there are several other groups of hunters hunting the same herds certainly seems to make the hunts and stalks more difficult.

I like those Wolverine sleeping bags. I would guess they are made with a "bivvi" shell of something like goretex or another waterproof breathable fabric? A Norwegian design?

Last question! Sorry about all the questions, but interested. Will you have a shoulder mount trophies or a Euro style skull and antler trophies? OK one more, how do they get the meat out - back packed?

Thanks again for the story. Looking forward to the next instalment.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (26/08/11 02:01 AM)

gordy
.224 member

Reged: 17/04/11
Loc: Newfoundland Canada
Re: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1) [Re: NitroX]
      #188591 - 26/08/11 09:20 AM

Great report and great looking country. I am interested in those "wolverine bags" as well

regards
Dan

Orvar
.300 member

Re: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1) [Re: gordy]
      #188607 - 26/08/11 03:17 PM

John

You're right, picking them out of a moving herd is not easy. I was lucky, no doubt, as the lead bulls went into indian file, giving me the first shot, after that its was a bit trickier.

The hunt took place on the commune of Lom in Norway. Absolutely goregous place! Well worth the trip.

Yeah, norwegian design. See the link i posted above. And they do ship internationally. The guides were nice enough to let us keep the ones we used, which are the light-weigth versions, but i may order an additional Heavy one, for those cold winter days in the Ardennes for boar hunting.

I'm going to euro skull mount them, and have all three skins made into throws for the house, they have super-soft fur, which will be great of a couch or bed.

Meat: another interesting local thing, we put it in a "meat grave". Bascially, its a hole dug into the rocks, into which all the meat goes, until pack-horses come up to fetch it. Its so cold up there, will keep for days... We packed otu the three skins and skulls ourseleves, and those skins weigh about ~20kg... Was tough. The guides really were amazing, and could carry massive amounts in their packs. I carried only one skulls and that was already a challenge for me to get all the way down.

All that being said, they did tell us that they had never had to work so hard to get the client's reindeer; don't know if true, but it was tough, but well worth it.

Orvar

Edited by Orvar (26/08/11 03:19 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#188609 - 26/08/11 03:34 PM

Quote:

Yeah, norwegian design. See the link i posted above. And they do ship internationally. The guides were nice enough to let us keep the ones we used, which are the light-weigth versions, but i may order an additional Heavy one, for those cold winter days in the Ardennes for boar hunting.

Thanks, but I have looked through the posts three times anc can't find the link. I know several NE members are interested in details of the bags.

Quote:

Meat: another interesting local thing, we put it in a "meat grave". Bascially, its a hole dug into the rocks, into which all the meat goes, until pack-horses come up to fetch it. Its so cold up there, will keep for days...

Yes that is interesting and something that someone like me from a warmer climate would think about being an option. And a good idea!

Post any links you wish. I see Breheimen Safaris have a simple website. I am sure there are people on here are interested.

PS BTW Your NE post already is already on google if searching for Breheimen Safaris.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (26/08/11 03:36 PM)

Paatti
.333 member

Reged: 18/01/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1) [Re: gordy]
      #188612 - 26/08/11 04:02 PM

Really good hunt and report also! Waiting for the second part allready.

Orvar
.300 member

Re: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1) [Re: Paatti]
      #188615 - 26/08/11 05:58 PM

John, my bad! You're right. Anyway the link for the wolverine bags is: https://jerven-com.secure.flexiweb.no/ They come in a variety of sizes and weights, very useful.

Yeah, simple website. I asked them and they iptold me they wanted contact with hunters. Both are very personable and eager. Shoot them an email, although i know they're in the mountains til the 10th (end of season).

We're off in a couple of hours for Part 2.... will be good to be back in that little cabin with the dogs.

Cheers

O

Orvar
.300 member

#188616 - 26/08/11 06:00 PM

Oh yeah, and if anyone has good reindeer recipes, I'm all ears... We have 150+kg of meat coming in about 6 weeks

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #188623 - 26/08/11 07:12 PM

That is a great report,a terrific tale including the pain of the arduous walking.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

gordy
.224 member

Reged: 17/04/11
Loc: Newfoundland Canada
Re: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1) [Re: gryphon]
      #188677 - 27/08/11 09:38 AM

Great trip and thanks for the link. I hunt caribou, moose and ptarmigan here in open country much like that in your photo essay but not quite so high. I am definitely interested in the bags

Looks like a great trip. I am eagerly awaiting part two

regards
Dan

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#188717 - 28/08/11 03:16 AM

Quote:

Oh yeah, and if anyone has good reindeer recipes, I'm all ears... We have 150+kg of meat coming in about 6 weeks

I think good venison recipes would do the job. I imagine reindeer is a very lean game meat. Unless someone wants to correct me?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Orvar
.300 member

Re: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1) [Re: NitroX]
      #189075 - 02/09/11 05:55 AM

Part 2 posted.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #189300 - 06/09/11 08:01 AM

Fantastic hunt that had it all. Wonderfully beautiful, rugged country, and fine trophies. The last bull you took is lovely, and it even sports a true double shovel.

shooter
.224 member

Reged: 25/11/08
Loc: UK
Re: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1) [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #193940 - 17/11/11 04:41 AM

great write up and beautiful pics.
i felt like i was reliving the safari with you.
can you pm me the cost of the hunt.
thanks

--------------------
Born to hunt, forced to work

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: Trip Report: Scandinavian Safari (Part 1) [Re: shooter]
      #193945 - 17/11/11 05:42 AM

Very nice! Thank you for posting.

Buchseman

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5891

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com