Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Building a big bore

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: United States
Re: Building a big bore [Re: degoins]
      #86489 - 02/10/07 10:36 PM

Because it's FUN!

You need it! You want it! You lust for it!
But wait.......there's more (this offer is not available in any store)
If you order now we'll thrown in absolutely free a brand new kitchen twaddler!!!!!!!!!!!!!
as a "surprise gift"

(All the foregoing in a TV type theatrical voice)
HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: Building a big bore [Re: szihn]
      #86495 - 03/10/07 01:48 AM

You are an evil man!!!

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: United States
      #86550 - 04/10/07 12:48 AM

Me..........?
Naw.......!
Well, .......... not very much anyway.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #86567 - 04/10/07 03:55 AM

Degoins,

You're not the only one lusting for Steve's masterpieces here. Yes, the man is evil - he promises big bore muzzleloading bliss. COntact him and you will find a good friend always ready to give very helpful advice and tips. Which, in turn, would get you hooked even more...

Give up, you can't escape.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: Building a big bore [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #86569 - 04/10/07 04:22 AM

Yes, I'm afraid I'm doomed!!!

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #86577 - 04/10/07 06:13 AM

I'd like to see this discussion on lubes continue. Who else has a favorite lube for patches and over-powder wads? Personally, I use and like T/C 1000+ Bore Butter, but would like to switch to a home brew, just for the fun of it. Take care, Tom

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Building a big bore [Re: DarylS]
      #86579 - 04/10/07 06:53 AM

Quote:

To have that flat trajectory with a large ball, is a wonderful thing. Having the ball within 1 1/2" of the Line of sight to 120yds. makes pin point accuracy a normal & easily aquired result. With the large bore, accuracy merely improves, the more powder used and the trajectory becomes flatter, rather than giving any expra elevation to the ball. The sights must be low, on the barrel for this longer range Point blank sight to work properly. High sights merely add elevation to the ball with more powder, destroying it's point blank range.

This piqued my interest, so I looked at point-blank ranges over different sight heights, using the Sierra "Infinity" software. I've compared this software to several others, and they agree very well.

Using one bullet and velocity, I checked maximum point-blank range for several different heights of sights above bore, in particular 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, and 3.0 inches. I used +/- 1.5 inches as the trajectory criterion for calculating point-blank range. The range at which a bullet will be neither more nor less than 1.5" from line of sight increases as height of sights above bore centerline increases. That is, tall sights improve point-blank range. The software ignores the short period from muzzle exit until the trajectory approaches the line of sight.

Take care, Tom

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Building a big bore [Re: Tatume]
      #86580 - 04/10/07 07:01 AM

Hello Folks,

It wasn't until I read my own post that I realized I was less than clear when I said "The range at which a bullet will be neither more nor less than 1.5" from line of sight." I meant, not more than 1.5 inches above or below the line of sight. Sorry.

Take care, Tom

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#86609 - 04/10/07 05:41 PM

Tatume,

With my cheap but very accurate Knight inline, I used a water based industrial grease until a very experienced friend told me about the long term problems with what I was doing, and I stopped. The rifle still shoots nicely so I must have stopped before any long term damage was done. That said, a very good friend of mine who shoots vastly more than I do, uses grease in all of his muzzleloaders - both traditional as well as inlines and does not seem to have any problems.

Good hunting!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Tatume
.400 member

#86618 - 04/10/07 11:59 PM

Mehul,
What are the long-term problems with water-based greases? What specific grease were you using?
Take care, Tom

JohnTheGreek
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/04
Loc: Cairo, Egypt
      #86630 - 05/10/07 08:34 AM

Patch Lube...and lots cheaper than the pre-fab stuff. The below is the "Moose Snot" recipe from over on www.muzzleloadingforum.com. I use more beeswax...50/50 with olive oil actually and then add the Murphys an ounce at a time until it looks right.

A mixture of Beeswax, Olive oil and Murphys oil soap with the ingredients added in that order.

Beeswax 2 oz.
Olive Oil 8 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.

Heat the beeswax in a coffee can submerged in an inch of water at the bottom of a bigger pat or pot (double boiler). Add olive oil when the wax is melted. Stir. Add Murphys and stir rapidly. Lift the can with vise grip pliers and pour into waiting tins. You should obviously increase the ratio of oils to wax for colder climates.

Pipe tobbaco tins work very well for storage and seal well enough that the moisture won't evaporate over time. BTW, this mixture also is a pretty good shoe polish or moustache wax for those of us who sport the big mediterranean handlebars.

Best,

John

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#86708 - 07/10/07 01:43 AM

Tom,

I was told that they tend to varnish the bores. The grease that I used was the regular stuff available at Ace and other hardware stores.

JTG,

Thanks for the recipe. I shall definitely try it out. Saving money on this means shooting more - maximising efficiency and fun.

Good hunting everyone!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #86713 - 07/10/07 02:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

To have that flat trajectory with a large ball, is a wonderful thing. Having the ball within 1 1/2" of the Line of sight to 120yds. makes pin point accuracy a normal & easily aquired result. With the large bore, accuracy merely improves, the more powder used and the trajectory becomes flatter, rather than giving any expra elevation to the ball. The sights must be low, on the barrel for this longer range Point blank sight to work properly. High sights merely add elevation to the ball with more powder, destroying it's point blank range.

This piqued my interest, so I looked at point-blank ranges over different sight heights, using the Sierra "Infinity" software. I've compared this software to several others, and they agree very well.

Using one bullet and velocity, I checked maximum point-blank range for several different heights of sights above bore, in particular 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, and 3.0 inches. I used +/- 1.5 inches as the trajectory criterion for calculating point-blank range. The range at which a bullet will be neither more nor less than 1.5" from line of sight increases as height of sights above bore centerline increases. That is, tall sights improve point-blank range. The software ignores the short period from muzzle exit until the trajectory approaches the line of sight.

Take care, Tom

; Point blank range and how it's achieved, is interesting in that it isn't an exact science. By this, I mean ballistic tables don't tell the whole story. With high sights, as you increase the powder charge, you get a corresponding increase in elevation, which destroys the point blank range. The ball, instead of rising only 1 1/2" above the line of sight, increases to 3 or 4 inches as the 'regular powder charge, say 100gr. is increased to 175gr. (in large bores)
: Low sights allow the 'plinking', deer/black bear/boar charge of around 90 to 110gr. to hit within the limit of 1" above or below the line of sight, yet increasing the charge doesn't add to that elevation more than 1/2" of so but the increased velocity gives an extended distance to the point blank range. High sights change point of impact too radically with the increased powder charges for shooting heavy game.
: Of course, having 'express-type' sights gives some leeway. My own rifle, with the point blank sight zero'd at 50 yards with 100gr., then gives a zero at 100 yards with the 165gr. charge, while keeping the mid-range zero within point-blank status. With higher sights, the heavy charge zero would be on the order of 130 yards, but at closer ranges, where the point-blank sighting is most necessary, as in a charging bear, the ball would strike too high to be useful. Military rifles and rifle muskets shooting minnie balls show this 'failing' in spades. With them, to have a 100 yard zero, the ball/bullet must rise over 5", maybe 8" or more above the line of sight, thereby eliminating the point blank sighting. How do you hold 5" to 8" low of where you want the ball/bullet to hit when the bear is bent on running you over and ripping you up and closing at 35 mph? It is best to have sights low, so the ball is close to the line of sight at all ranges - hense the importance of point blank range. You need not know what the range is within normal distance, merely take a fair sight and let go. You know your ball is within lethal impact of the sight.
; With express sights, you can have, as I do, a sighting with deer/b.bear/plink9ing loads, of 50, 100 and 150 yards, while with the heavy big game charges, those very same sights give 100, 150 and 200 yard sighting.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Tatume
.400 member

#86742 - 07/10/07 09:41 PM

Mehul,

Quote:

I was told that [water-based greases] tend to varnish the bores.

It is my experience that people will often say something because it sounds like it should be true. Once uttered, the statement is later adamantly defended. But nobody ever tested the hypothesis. Run the test yourself, and decide if it’s true. You may be surprised.

Take care, Tom

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#86758 - 08/10/07 05:01 AM

Tom,

You do have an excellent point, and one from more shooting experience than mine, I am certain. As I said in my earlier post, I have a friend who has several muzzleloaders and many of them much more valuable than mine who shoots them with water based grease and he seems to have no problem. I will try this again.

Thanks again and good hunting!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
      #185583 - 11/07/11 12:52 AM

Just refreshing this thread as there is so much good stuff in it. I have found a builder for my English sporting rifle and will order another barrel from Joe.
Dan: Any word on how your 16 bore flinter turned out?

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: Building a big bore [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #185592 - 11/07/11 01:54 AM

Word of caution on lubes containing Murphy's Oil Soap. Those who use combinations, ball and patch that don't quite seal all the powder gasses behind the ball, can experience a hard brown gunge in the corners of the grooves. My brother used this type of lube for years without any such trouble, in 3 different rifles as well as his Brown Bess. He uses very tight combinations in all guns, no problem.

Glad it's coming together, Bill.

Nowadays, for most of my trail walk and target shooting, I use a mix of winter windshield washer fluid with some neetsfoot oil added. I shake it vigoursly, then pour it on my pre-cut patches, then gently squeeze out the excess. My patches are WET when used, not just damp. They prevent fouling from building up as I never have to wipe the bore while shooting all day - humidity 6% or humidity 100%.

Secret? - none - simply use a ball that is .005" under bore size, and a 10oz. Denim or .020" to .022" mattress ticking patches - wet with lube. Water based, or an oil like Mink oil or Neetsfoot oil. Hoppe's # 9 PLUS works as well as anything for target shooting. The oils are for hunting. Always check the accuracy - oils usually require more powder to get the same accurcy as water based lubes and shoot to a different poi.

Some guys like slightly thinner patches & do OK, but I find the thicker patches shoot more accurately.

--------------------
Daryl

Dphariss
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana
      #185610 - 11/07/11 09:11 AM

The 16 bore works well. 1600 fps with 140 gr of ff Swiss.

Dan

Edited by CptCurl (17/07/11 10:02 PM)

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Building a big bore [Re: Dphariss]
      #185629 - 11/07/11 03:47 PM

Nice looking rifle Dan!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
Re: Building a big bore [Re: tinker]
      #185646 - 11/07/11 11:08 PM

Dan: Wow that's a handsome rifle you built! I think it deserves its own thread.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#185650 - 12/07/11 12:27 AM

Yes

--------------------
Daryl

gunsports
.224 member

Reged: 24/07/11
Loc: South Africa
      #192979 - 03/11/11 11:35 PM

About lube:

I am a great believer in Ballistol; that German gun oil. Use it straight as a preservative in place of synthetic oils. Mix it 30:70 (Ballistol & water) with water for cleaning your barrel after shooting or for wiping between shots. In a pinch, the cleaning fluid works quite well as a patch lube as well (spit patch with an attitude!) I do not use water for cleaning my guns - ever. Especially hot water flushed through a barrel will seep into the breech threads and cause rust; no matter how much oil you add afterwards.

The lube that I use is a derivative of the old Felix bullet lube, adapted for muzzle guns. As follows:

2 parts neatsfoot oil
1 part castor oil
1 part lanolin
bees wax to taste.

Method: Heat the neatsfoot and castor oil till it just begins to change color. Don't burn, please - it stinks! Reduce temp and add lanolin. Add beeswax to taste (for patch lube, a little; for bullet lube, a little more.) You can test the consistency by dipping a cold knife blade into the mix; the lube will set on the cold metal and you can test consistency.

On some makes of oil (depending on who sells the stuff), you may need to add just a sliver of Murfey's oil soap (sodium stearate) to get the two oils to combine. To test, heat a small volume of the two oils and then let cool. If it combines, you're ok. If it seperates on cooling, add a little soap to the hot mix (it foams!)

This stuff is magic. I use it as a patch lube, a bullet lube, a bore conditioner and preservative. It's kind to wood. I resize my cartridge cases with the stuff. A dab on a wood screw allows it to screw into a tight hole without splitting the wood or siezing. I even add a little over dried release agent just to make doubly sure the bedding job does not stick. Best of all, it contains no petro chemical products so there is no powder contamination.

Last tip. Before loading up for the first time, pour some pure alcohol down the barrel, let it run out of the nipple/vent. Cant the rifle so the stuff does not spill on the wood. Cleans all the oil residue out of the gun and I've never had a miss fire.

--------------------
If it ain't a ball, it ain't a bullet ...

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: Building a big bore [Re: gunsports]
      #192993 - 04/11/11 05:08 AM

That's interesting, Gunsports - we don't have to wipe the bore while shooting our muzzleloaders- ever. We use real black powder, GOEX or Swiss as Dan uses. There is no buildup- ever - each load cleans the previous shot so there is no buildup.

As Holland and Holland instructed in a letter to a friend, I use cold water for cleaning, then I dry and flush with WD40. There has never been any rust in the breech threads when I pulled the breeches for inspection - years after use and many thousands of shots and cleanings later. The gun is cleaned at the end of a day's shooting - that is the first time it is wiped all day.

I use Neetsfoot oil (not compound) or Track of the Wolf's "Mink Oil" for hunting lube - again, no need for wiping - ever while shooting.

Slow twists with shallow rifling and large bores can use paper ctgs. effectively for hunting as well. The excess paper bunched between the tight fitting ball and the powder effectively seals the powder gasses behind - no blowby and identical accuracy to a tightly patched round ball. In my .69, that was 1" up to 1 1/2" for 5 shot groups at 100 meters - open 3 leaf express sight with a low Purdey-type front bead.

After 10 shots with paper ctgs. the fouling was building up so a 'squib' load of 85gr. 2f is used, along with a spit lubed, denim patched ball. That load effectively cleans the bore when shot (immediately) and allows another 10 paper cts. to be shot with original accuracy.

The paper ctg. load was the same 165gr. 2F that I used with full power patched round ball loads. It develped 1,550fps with a 484gr. round ball and struck the sme poi as patched ball. The paper ctgs. were a tigth fit in the muzzle and needed the rod choked up on, to start, then went down easily. Loading then shooting & hitting at a 6" disk at 50 yards was accomplished in just 8 seconds, using a paper ctg. load.

I have never tried lubing them, but others have.

That's an intersting sounding lube. My cousin (English) use Lanolin ( I think) by itself as a case lube. I found it too difficult to remove from the brass in comparrison to other lubes I use now, but combined with other products, it might be just fine.

I've not seen the need for special ome made lubes for hunting as the straight Neetsfoot oil or Mink oil have worked fine for me and their accuracy has proven to be exemplary as well. They are also good to the steel and don't hurt the wood.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 26244

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com