Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE
      #185256 - 05/07/11 09:50 AM

Recently I filled a long-held desire for a nice vintage Farquharson. I bought an Army & Navy Farq. in .450/.400 3.25" Nitro Express from Steve Barnett.

The rifle came a couple weeks ago just before I was scheduled for an out-of-town conference and then a week of vacation. I got only a glance at it before leaving. The glance was enough. The Farq. was to be mine.

Upon returning I was busy catching up with work, etc. Not until this holiday (Independence Day) weekend did I have the time to direct genuine attention to this rifle.

I gave some details of my first try with the rifle on this thread:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=185045&an=0&page=0#Post185045

The purpose of that discussion was to pass along my experience loading cast bullets in nitro-for-black loads for the .450/.400 3.25". I chronicled my first range visit with the Farq. in which I fired 5 of my loads. That was Saturday afternoon, July 2.

Things went quite well, and the Farq. seemed to really like the N-for-B load. Not wanting to argue with success, I loaded the other 15 sticks of brass in that box. The brass is unfired Hornady brass, and it seems to be of top quality. I also have a quantity of HDS brass. This chamber is not new to me, as my James Woodward double rifle is of the same chamber.

So today, Monday July 4, I set out for the range with my Farq. and 15 rounds of my N-for-B ammunition. Like Saturday it was hot as Hades. Nonetheless, I took my camera and snapped a few photos.

I started to append this to the other thread in the Reloading forum, but then I thought this rifle should have it's own post, so here it is.

I am really fortunate to have the use of a private shooting range on land belonging to a close friend. It would be hard to relax and snap photos at a public range. There's something nice about impromptu photos.

No bright lights or glare, just soft images. It's hard to find enough light at times.

Here I see the standard Birmingham nitro proofing for the .450/.400 3.25" NE - "CORDITE 60 - 400 MAX"

This rifle remains in excellent original condition. It has not suffered the indignity of any refinishing or of gunsmithing "improvements". The bore is absolutely perfect mint condition, and the action shows no wear inside or outside. There is amost no wear to the original rust blue on the barrel and action. The breech block, lever, action bottom, trigger, grip cap, and buttplate are color case hardened, and they remain vivid. The stock retains its original finish but shows numerous handling marks you should expect from a rifle almost 100 years old.

This is not a particularly fancy rifle; medium grade, I would say. And of course, the single shot rifles were supposed to be something of economy models as compared to doubles. Nevertheless, this rifle sports nice timber.

The buttplate is smooth steel with its original color case hardening. It's amazing, but almost all the color is still there. Here's an example of a photo where light was scarce. The photo doesn't do justice.

But remember, I came here to shoot the rifle and not the camera. The camera was an afterthought. Let's get the ammo.

Above are the fifteen I loaded for today along with the five I fired Saturday.

Someone once commented on the graceful elegance of the .450/.400 3.25" round with its "Oh so loooooooooonnnng neck." I tend to agree.

As mentioned in the other thread, my load is:

55.0 grains Varget;
Two - 1/2" diameter by 1" long foam wads;
265 grain cast gas check bullet by Oregon Trail;
Fed. 210 or WLR primer;
All in Hornady or HDS brass.

This is a black powder equivalent load and it closely approximates the original black powder load for this cartridge. As with all reloading you are responsible for your own safety. Don't blindly follow my load, as your rifle might have different requirements.

So how was todays shooting? All shooting today was at 50 yards. I started out with a five shot group just wanting to get acquainted with the rifle and its sights and trigger. The first two rounds were tight together right on top of the bead. The other three rounds were in a very tight cluster a couple of inches above. What? I look down the barrel and see that the 500 yard leaf had popped up from the recoil of the first two rounds. Drat! Two rounds shot with the standing express sight and three jacked up by the 500 yard leaf.

I found some cellophane tape and stuck a little strip over the folding leaves to put a stop to this type of nonsense.

The barrel is now hot in the 90+ degree F air. It will take some time to cool before firing again. Not to worry, I brought my Purdey .303 double to shoot also.

After a go with the Purdey I walk again to change the target and the Farq. is back on the bags. By now I'm uncomfortably hot myself, and sweating like a pig. I wipe off my face and hands and settle onto the rifle.

The second five-shot group was fair. I really didn't feel I was using good trigger control. The shots all clustered inside 2" right above the bead. I knew I could do better and that the rifle could do better also.

Had another shoot with the Purdey while the Farq. cooled. (The Purdey is awesome, BTW!)

Walk in hot sun to change targets. Sweating. Back at the bench I'm still not feeling calm and smooth. You probably know what I'm trying to say. Sometimes it all feels jerky.

To smooth out I decided to fire a few magazines through my Model 41 Smith & Wesson. I really should have started out with the pistol, because it can really smooth out the kinks. It's all hand-to-eye coordination and trigger control. After 50 rounds through the S&W I was ready to do my best with the last 5 rounds in the Farq.

I rearranged the bags for a little more comfortable hold. Chamber a round. Squeeze. The first round jerks a little and lands just to the left. Well that kinda pissed me off. I forced myself to settle down, and the next four rounds were all touching right above the bead. That's what the rifle and load can do when the shooter does what the shooter should do. Here's a scan of the target:

That rifle certainly will shoot, and the load is a good one. They just need a steady hand. A cooler day would help a lot.

I'll be adding comments and photos to this thread as things develop.

It's hard to dislike these 100 year old English rifles.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: CptCurl]
      #185257 - 05/07/11 09:57 AM

Lovely, really nice. I really do like the lines of it.

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: 500Nitro]
      #185259 - 05/07/11 10:05 AM

Fantastic! Such a nice rifle, and very handy, too.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: Ben]
      #185263 - 05/07/11 10:29 AM

Yes - Lovely indeed.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

sirrocco
.275 member

Reged: 10/12/06
Loc: New Zealand, Italy
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: DarylS]
      #185265 - 05/07/11 10:53 AM

Curl,
That is one of the nicest Farkies I have seen. Beautifully proportioned rifle. Nice sized receiver and a forend that doesn't have that horrible (in my eyes) scallop in it. Like the engraving pattern a lot, I will get that copied and put on a rifle. Could be just the ticket for my "standard" engraving pattern. Thanks for posting.

Glenn

Hunter_338
.275 member

Reged: 16/09/10
Loc: Mid North, South Australia
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: sirrocco]
      #185268 - 05/07/11 03:31 PM

Nice rifle, looks well balanced!

--------------------
Hunt hard and enjoy the adventure.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: Hunter_338]
      #185269 - 05/07/11 04:46 PM

Verry nice, best

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #185270 - 05/07/11 05:22 PM

Nicer stocking and chequering than any standard PD I've seen to date. It appears that the tangs are of a larger radius than the usual, no?

HuviusModerator
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: kamilaroi]
      #185285 - 05/07/11 11:50 PM

Excellent report Curl!
What a nice gun and in such fine condition. You are right about these original condition Farqs being scarce and as you mention, they were the "economy" alternative to a double back in their day, so most were used and used hard.
When and if you ever decide to take the turnscrews to this beauty, I would be curious about the stamps on the face of the action.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: Huvius]
      #185290 - 06/07/11 12:17 AM

Curl: That's a very nice load you've picked. Your bore must be nice and crisp. Note in the reloading forum that I am on the hunt for some heavier .410-.411 cast bullets.
Bill

Englishman
.275 member

Reged: 09/12/09
Loc: Lot,France
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #185299 - 06/07/11 04:48 AM

Cpt Curl, You have a really lovely rifle there!In very good taste,with some nice,understated engraving,a real gem. The flipping up sights must have been a problem when these rifles were used more in anger,my .577 Westley Richards falling block has the sight blades fixed down with tiny screws,I suppose the original owner did not want to "shoot over" his Elephant! The bullets you are using look very much like the Lead Bullet Technology ones I use for my Jeffery PD, I find them very reliable,and much cheaper for range use than Woodlieghs!
I am surprised that the action body is not colour case hardened,as the trigger guard,buttplate,and lever are all retaining their CC hardening.
Do you intend to put some full nitro loads through it?It is proofed to 16.5 tons.
Enjoy using it!
Chris.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: Englishman]
      #185300 - 06/07/11 04:53 AM

I use some thick grease on the underside of one of my DR flip up sights and the pin. That seems to stop them flipping up. It is most annoying when it does it.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: 500Nitro]
      #185303 - 06/07/11 05:36 AM

"I am really fortunate to have the use of a private shooting range on land belonging to a close friend. It would be hard to relax and snap photos at a public range. There's something nice about impromptu photos."

What? you mean when everyone and his freaking brother is blazing away with their AR15/10 with 18" bbl and muzzle breaks!

So so annoying.

However, I did have to laugh when this dude used to come out with his McMillian 50 BMG. Truly impressive.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

HuviusModerator
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #185305 - 06/07/11 06:40 AM

Quote:

The flipping up sights must have been a problem when these rifles were used more in anger,my .577 Westley Richards falling block has the sight blades fixed down with tiny screws...

Higher grade Westleys had spring loaded sight blades which helped to keep them in either the down or up positions.
The sight base was hollowed out and a flat spring, I would guess bent in a wave form to meet each blade pivot from the underside, kept pressure upon the blade. I envision each blade having little flats 90deg. to each other but I would have to see one apart to know for sure.
Really, quite a simple design and a wonder that all rifles with multiple sights didn't incorporate something similar.
Especially if intended for dangerous game use.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: Huvius]
      #185311 - 06/07/11 10:55 AM

Huvius: What a simple, elegant solution. And isn't it what is expected from Westley Richards?

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #185314 - 06/07/11 02:42 PM

That is a very nice piece of kit. Your prose flowed and I almost felt like I was there with you. Well done and a good result.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: tophet1]
      #185315 - 06/07/11 03:33 PM

Nice all around Curl!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

AFRO408
.333 member

Reged: 21/01/09
Loc: Arding NSW
Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: tinker]
      #185323 - 06/07/11 09:22 PM

Beautiful rifle there Cap'n

Is the foam you use, for the wads, just the ordinary stuff used in upholstery/mattresses ??
Is it consumed by the charge, or does it land somewhere down range ?

--------------------
Flinch ? Wot flinch ? Gunsmithing is my PASSION.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: AFRO408]
      #185346 - 07/07/11 11:20 AM

Thanks to everyone for the comments. This is an interesting rifle. It's my first Farquharson, but not my first classic single shot rifle by a wide margin. I sold my collection of single shot rifles back in 1996 to fund a serious double rifle purchase. There were some good rifles in that lot.

Aside from a Ruger #3 this is the only falling block single shot rifle I own at present.

I chased behind this rifle off and on for a year or more. It appeared on GunsInternational in early 2010. I was slow to see the listing, and by the time I took note of it the rifle was sold. The sale must not have stuck, because it recently appeared on Steve Barnett's website. I tried to resist it, but couldn't. I'm glad to have it in the house.

I have been somewhat of a pest to our friend Huvius because Farquharson rifles are a bit out of my normal path. I read Winfer's Vol. on the Jeffery Farquharsons to get a little background. I've made a run on one or two others, but this is the first to gain admittance. I really haven't done any research on this rifle, but here's the text of the GunsInternational ad I took down in April 2010:

Quote:

PD Farquaharson single shot made by Chas. Osborne in 1919. See page 127 Winfers lastest Vol.6. Rifle is in very nice original condition with vivid case colors and bluing. Perfect bore. 27" bbl. , 14 1/2" LOP to steel case colored butt plate. Steel CC'd grip cap. Wgt 8 1/2lbs. Forend cap of Horn. A truely classic hard to find Farq.

I don't have a copy of Winfer's book. The one I read was borrowed. Maybe somebody can verify what was listed about this rifle on page 127 of Vol. 6.

I'll do more photographs and post more as time permits.

Afro - yes, for foam I'm cutting plugs out of 1" thick sheets of foam made for cushions. We buy the stuff for little to nothing. My plugs are 1/2" diameter and 1" long. Virtually the same as what Kynoch sells.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

kamilaroi
.400 member

#185350 - 07/07/11 12:12 PM

Wal's book at p127 reads "A&N Farquharson s/n 5517x fitted with Adams and Tate barrel chambered for .450/.400-3 1/4" cartridge built by Charles Osborn in 1919. Tom Oppel collection."

Chequering appears the same.

Edited by kamilaroi (07/07/11 12:14 PM)

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#185364 - 07/07/11 08:18 PM

That's the one. The gent who offered this rifle for sale in early 2010 and whose description I quoted above was Thomas E. Oppel. When I contacted him the rifle was already gone. The S/N is 55174.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

kamilaroi
.400 member

#185365 - 07/07/11 08:46 PM

yep it's that one. btw I get credits in Wal's volumes and perhaps another in anticipated "others" but as our respective ages are running out who knows eh?

A very nice piece mate and begone the naysayers!

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #185551 - 10/07/11 10:53 AM

Magnificent, Roscoe! Another superb addition to your gunsafe!

May there be many more!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Englishman
.275 member

Re: Army & Navy CSL Farquharson - .450/.400 3.25" NE [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #185814 - 14/07/11 05:03 PM

"I use some thick grease on the underside of one of my DR flip up sights and the pin. That seems to stop them flipping up. It is most annoying when it does it".

The grease idea is good for winter temperatures,but here in southern France quickly turns to oil!I have used "Blue Tack" that also works well,without the mess!
Chris,
France.

Englishman
.275 member

#185815 - 14/07/11 05:18 PM

"Higher grade Westleys had spring loaded sight blades which helped to keep them in either the down or up positions.
The sight base was hollowed out and a flat spring, I would guess bent in a wave form to meet each blade pivot from the underside, kept pressure upon the blade. I envision each blade having little flats 90deg. to each other but I would have to see one apart to know for sure.
Really, quite a simple design and a wonder that all rifles with multiple sights didn't incorporate something similar.
Especially if intended for dangerous game use".

Yes Huvius,that is the system used on my other Farquharson's,the spring is in fact flat,as you imagined, the cam sysem is incorporated into the sight leaf,there is a small flat in both planes so that the leaf stays in the vertical or horizontal plane,the system works well,providing it is maintained,if not,it tends to rip lumps out of your finger nails!
My .577NE was made by Westley Richards for Lyon&Lyon,Calcutter, so it was probably an "economy" model.
Chris,
France.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 24856

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com