Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Anyone familiar with the CZ 550 Safari grade rifles?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Handloader52
.224 member

Reged: 13/12/09
Loc: Maryland, USA
Anyone familiar with the CZ 550 Safari grade rifles?
      #180874 - 06/05/11 04:49 AM

Friend of mine is looking for a solid DGR for less than $3500. The CZ 550 Safari grade rifles sell for a little over $3000 and come in a wide variety of calibers and lots of nice features. Is anyone familiar with CZ's recent production of these rifles?
Keith

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Anyone familiar with the CZ 550 Safari grade rifles? [Re: Handloader52]
      #180877 - 06/05/11 06:46 AM

$3000, Jesus, it better be good for that price.

I hope they smooth out the actions before selling them,
one of my biggest bug bears with Brno's / CZ's.

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Anyone familiar with the CZ 550 Safari grade rifles? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #180887 - 06/05/11 08:49 AM

I have owned a CZ550 in .308 and also owned a previous model BRNO 601 in .308W. I currently own a .416 Rigby CZ Safari Classic (the base version, as sold here in OZ).

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=164945&an=0&page=3#Post164945

I have been very happy with my CZ 550's. My .416 was bedded perfectly from the factory and only needed the standard trigger adjusted (which took less than 5 minutes) and a larger front sight insert installed (easily done by the owner). IMO the CZ is an excellent start point for any DG rifle and they have most of the features found in high end custom DG rifles. They all need adjustment for individual use however. Any problems are easily and cheaply fixed or modified.

I would not pay $3K for a start rifle unless you need an exotic calibre. If you can afford the ammo and/or reloading gear for an 'exotic' calibre then you can afford a new barrel on an entry level CZ rifle or a bit of custom gunsmithing like a re-chamber.

As you are in the USA have a look at these guys who do a good job of modifying standard CZ's. They are familiar with the rifles and know what to look for and how to improve them.

http://www.hunting-rifles.com/CZ/CZowners.htm

Your friend may not wish to buy one of their whole packages which are overpriced, however a bit of bargaining may work and their web site may give some ideas.

There are a few posts here on CZ's. Do a search.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #180893 - 06/05/11 09:16 AM

Quote:

$3000, Jesus, it better be good for that price.

I hope they smooth out the actions before selling them,
one of my biggest bug bears with Brno's / CZ's.

Besides that the 377 H+H we ran here for a few shots was a heavy as lead rifle,not a very luggable rifle for me.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Anyone familiar with the CZ 550 Safari grade rifles? [Re: gryphon]
      #180894 - 06/05/11 09:17 AM

Yes, they tend to be a bit heavy.

I have a couple, one of which was slimmed down
by someone and is a lot lighter.

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #180903 - 06/05/11 12:37 PM

Quote:

a little over $3000 and come in a wide variety of calibers and lots of nice features.

The added option this year of the pop up peep sight integral to the rear square bridge is nice. I agree that if you want it chambered in what is offered in the standard model, just get a standard model.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Anyone familiar with the CZ 550 Safari grade rifles? [Re: AdamTayler]
      #180904 - 06/05/11 12:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

a little over $3000 and come in a wide variety of calibers and lots of nice features.

The added option this year of the pop up peep sight integral to the rear square bridge is nice. I agree that if you want it chambered in what is offered in the standard model, just get a standard model.

So that have gone back over 30 years to a feature that should never have been taken off the Brno's in the first place.

Good to see, they were great.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #180940 - 06/05/11 08:28 PM

Hi Handloader52,

If you want a factory rifle for $3k then buy one but I would strongly suggest that you buy a good secondhand rifle or the basic model rifle and get a gunsmith to work it over.

You may have seen on this forum that this was the way I went recently with 2 CZ550's as they need to be 'slicked up' in the smoothness and feeding areas. Sometimes it is best to 'Start Again' and build one that suits YOU both in weight, barrel length etc but if your just buying one for the re introduced 'Peep' sight then Recknagel already makes one that slides onto the rear dove-tail.

I hope that this is of help to you in your decision making process but having one built to your specifications is a real 'Buzz'

Cheers form Australia,

Jeff Gray

fourbore
.275 member

Reged: 28/03/10
Loc: NewEngland
Re: Anyone familiar with the CZ 550 Safari grade rifles? [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #180942 - 06/05/11 08:50 PM

Quote:

If you want a factory rifle for $3k

The $3000 guns are not factory, they are individually built in ST Louis with imported parts from CZ. The buyer can (if he is aware) specify the barrel length and select from a raft of custom features. I got one in 505 Gibbs with a 24" barrel and I consider it the bargin of my lifetime, for a Gibbs. Nice wood and that stock fits me like a glove.

I own and prefer the Winchester M70 in 375H&H and there both the Ruger and CZ are a bit over weight for my liking.

The CZ is just nice size for a Lott or Rigby. IMHO of course.

I have a 458Lott in a low cost CZ550, the $1000 check factory gun, and it have been a big headache for me. Be prepared with a plan in advance how to deal with one if these guns if you go that route. The feeding can be smoothed out and nice features added by American Hunting Rifles, about $500 will get you a great gun if you start out with a good barrel. AHR can also replace the stock if you need a smaller one and fancy grade wood, but the price starts to go up seriously at that point.

I wish I had the built in classic peep on my Gibbs, I use the NECG peep on my 505. If true, that would be a great built in re-introduction feature.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Anyone familiar with the CZ 550 Safari grade rifles? [Re: fourbore]
      #180946 - 06/05/11 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you want a factory rifle for $3k

The $3000 guns are not factory, they are individually built in ST Louis with imported parts from CZ. The buyer can (if he is aware) specify the barrel length and select from a raft of custom features. I got one in 505 Gibbs with a 24" barrel and I consider it the bargin of my lifetime, for a Gibbs. Nice wood and that stock fits me like a glove.

The CZ is just nice size for a Lott or Rigby. IMHO of course.

I wish I had the built in classic peep on my Gibbs, I use the NECG peep on my 505. If true, that would be a great built in re-introduction feature.

Fourbore your first paragraph was my understanding of the CZ550's that cost $3000.

I agree 100% with the second and last paragraph.

AdamTayler
.375 member

#180965 - 07/05/11 03:24 AM

Quote:

they are individually built in ST Louis with imported parts from CZ. The buyer can...select from a raft of custom features. I wish I had the built in classic peep on my Gibbs (it) would be a great built in re-introduction feature.

Have you phoned them to see if they can mill the bridge and install one now?

--------------------

fourbore
.275 member

#180972 - 07/05/11 09:09 AM

No, I pretty much in a holding pattern for a while with my financial situation right now. Lucky, I have enough guns and ammo to hold me over for a while. That is a heck of a good idea - "asking".

I will remember.

portdivers
.224 member

Reged: 28/10/09
Loc: Vic. Australia
      #180997 - 07/05/11 09:05 PM

Having a CZ 550 .375 H&H , I recommended a friend joining BGRC to buy a new CZ 550 Safari Classic Magnum in .375 H&H. Having only seen the belly of the firearm when rested in the shop rack, I was so impressed with the new style stock when I saw it up close, I rang and had a remaining .416 Rigby put aside.

At a price of around $1,300 for the .416 I could afford to have the ugly screw head cross bolts replaced and blanked with horn, a grip cap and escutchen, a nice red pachymer pad is soon to be fitted, will it make the rifle shoot any better, I don't know, but gee it looks nice dressed up.

To make matters worse a CZ 550 Safari Classic Magnum in .458 wm in a Bell and Carlson composite stock had been sitting unsold on the shelf for months, that being around the $1,800 mark was a steal with nothing to spend on the stock.

They are running in good, feed and extract well, and accurate to boot. Well under $3,000, reliable and rock solid as ever, the rrp on these big bores are a steal for what you get.

Yes, I could have bought a 500 Jeffrey is CZ 550 but having a ZKK 602 action begging for a custom build, well that's on it's way to keep the others company.

An honest rifle at an honest price.

Edited by portdivers (07/05/11 09:09 PM)

fourbore
.275 member

Re: Anyone familiar with the CZ 550 Safari grade rifles? [Re: portdivers]
      #181036 - 08/05/11 05:28 AM

I know what they say about opinions, but FWIW, the CZ550 is a really big action and a classic design. I think its at its best with the big old classics like 416 Rigby and 505 Gibbs. Big long cigar shape rounds. Then 375H&H and 458Lott as my 2nd choices. Well, that 450 Rigby is interesting too. Heck, I am hooked!

In 45, there have been many of complaints about the feeding of the Win Mag which is partly been attributed to the hugh magazine. This can be a problem with any $1000 CZ so beware. Again FWIW, I would opt for the 458Lott over the WinMag unless it was some kind of give away bargin 1/2 price deal. I say that even though, I got a 458 Lott by CZ with a funky barrel that shoots low and has feeding problems too boot. Maybe blowing smoke on this one. Just my 2c.

In addition to my M70 375, I also have a CZ550 in 375 that someone else had restocked and upgraded by AHR. Its a real really fine gun. Smooth and a looker. So; I have to agree for $1000 low cost factory guns these are a heck of a starting off point for the guy who want to go custom. And among those, I really like the idea of the 416Rigby the best. Ironically, thats one I dont have.

For purely personal reasons, I dont care for the 500 Jeff. That was a round designed for a std length action with a very short neck and greatly rebated rim. I think its just butt ugly ctg. The original guns were single column feed. The staggered magazine with the rebated 500J is a bad idea. That is just what CZ custom shops offers. Consequently even at $3,000 custom prices, I heard a complaint about the 500J feeding. This is a brand new custom gun. Imagine after it gets old and tired? For now, it is more money in the bank for AHR. (American Hunting Rifles)

500Nitro
.450 member

#181037 - 08/05/11 06:16 AM

fourbore

As I have often said, feeding issues with the 500J are because
people don't know how to build them and what you say above supports this.

If people studied original mausers in 500J (and good copies
of which there are quite a few around), then they would see how they were built and would follow.

The 505 is a good looking cartridge.

portdivers
.224 member

Reged: 28/10/09
Loc: Vic. Australia
      #181062 - 08/05/11 09:13 AM

The CZ in 9.3 X 62 is affordable as hell, no open sights but the price savings would allow for a nice set to be installed.

Lovely Group 1 BGRC starter.

fourbore
.275 member

#181074 - 08/05/11 12:28 PM

A while back I was seriously thinking about a 9.3 x 62 as a North American big gun in the kevlar carbine model. I like the heavy bullets offered in factory loaded 9.3 ammo with a light easy carry carbine. Not right now, but maybe someday.

In the $3.5k price range for an African DG rifle, the origional question asked, I whole hardheartedly endorse his choice of a custom shop CZ. This guy has 3500 budget let him live a little and enjoy life. I think a 416 Rigby custom shop CZ with hi grade wood and extra bells whistles would be a great gun. Or what ever caliber and bbl length desired. And in spirit of full disclosure, I know the guns work well, but I never hunted Africa or anything like that heavy dangerous game. I just like shooting big bores for fun. The 9.3, I could hunt with, but that seems a much lighter class gun to me.

For some reason that probably makes little practical sense, I like the idea of the 450 Rigby. I dont know much about it. A bottle neck case for reliable feeding and extra capacity for lower pressure loading at the same performance level of the Lott. I am sure you loose magazine capacity. And where to get factory ammo? I found I can squeeze 6 down in my 458Lott CZ, not saying that works very well, but there is room for more than enough Rigby size rounds. I know the Lott or one of the 416's would be far more practical, but as long as we are listing some of the options for CZ that is one I think about sometimes.

GK
.300 member

Reged: 29/10/09
Loc: Adelaide
      #181076 - 08/05/11 01:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I had a look at the website but I could not find any pics of the pop up peep sight. Do they have any images up yet? I have a ZKK missing its peep and would like to know if they are using the same design? Fortunately I have another with its pop up peep and can copy it if I never happen to find one.

I agree this is a feature that should never have been dropped and if they wanted to save money they should have just offered as a factory option.

George

AdamTayler
.375 member

#181078 - 08/05/11 02:13 PM

Quote:

The CZ in 9.3 X 62 is affordable as hell, no open sights but the price savings would allow for a nice set to be installed.

The Kevlar Carbine and Full Stock have open sights.

--------------------

AdamTayler
.375 member

Re: Anyone familiar with the CZ 550 Safari grade rifles? [Re: GK]
      #181079 - 08/05/11 02:16 PM

Quote:

I had a look at the website but I could not find any pics of the pop up peep sight. Do they have any images up yet? I have a ZKK missing its peep and would like to know if they are using the same design? Fortunately I have another with its pop up peep and can copy it if I never happen to find one.

George

http://www.cz-usa.com/assets/files/CZ-USA_2011_Product_Catalog.pdf

Scroll down to pg 33. The photo looks to be a 602, but hopefully it will be the same on the 550.

--------------------

GK
.300 member

#181135 - 09/05/11 10:34 AM

Adam,
Thanks, I have now found it and the pop up peep indeed looks like the original ZKK 600/1/2 style.
I wonder if they would consider selling these seperately? Anyone know who to contact specifically as an email to CZ-USA would not get very far.
George

500Nitro
.450 member

#181136 - 09/05/11 10:44 AM

I'd try CZ Europe over the US.

Just my HO.

mauserand9mm
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #181140 - 09/05/11 01:30 PM

Quote:

Adam,
Thanks, I have now found it and the pop up peep indeed looks like the original ZKK 600/1/2 style.

I just had a look at that catalogue and the photo is of a 602 (small bolt shroud and reverse safety give it away). Maybe they hadn't done one on a CZ when the catalogue was published. Steep price though - $350. You can get a fully adjustable NECG rear peep for $85 that doesn't require any fitting and is readily detachable as required. Although some folks don't like the look of the ears on the NECG - could file them off I suppose.

Edited by mauserand9mm (09/05/11 01:31 PM)

GK
.300 member

Re: Anyone familiar with the CZ 550 Safari grade rifles? [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #181145 - 09/05/11 03:32 PM

Quote:

I just had a look at that catalogue and the photo is of a 602 (small bolt shroud and reverse safety give it away). Maybe they hadn't done one on a CZ when the catalogue was published. Steep price though - $350. You can get a fully adjustable NECG rear peep for $85 that doesn't require any fitting and is readily detachable as required. Although some folks don't like the look of the ears on the NECG - could file them off I suppose.

I have a ZKK 601 that was originally fitted with the pop up peep, but is now missing (like the majority). I would think that at least half of the $350 would go towards milling the cut out in the reciever.

I have seen the NECG BRNO one and actually have the weaver rail versions. In my eyes, they are both uneccessarily large and 'get in the way'. Compared with the original, there is no similarity.

George

500Nitro
.450 member

#181146 - 09/05/11 03:33 PM

GK

Re your first sentance, I would agree.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16969

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com