Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Just started Casting - Learning a lot

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Cast Bullets

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Perry
.275 member

Reged: 09/11/10
Loc: Qld Australia
Just started Casting - Learning a lot
      #179460 - 19/04/11 11:35 PM

Evening folks,

reality has struck home since I finished my No1 Mk3 35.303, at nearly $1 a projectile Jacketed bullets are too rich for me. I already shoot commercial cast bullets in my .357 and .44 mag and am very happy with how well my Lever Rifles shoot these. But I'm running out and they are not that cheap to buy either.

I've picked up about 30 pounds of pure lead and have approx 120 pounds of wheel weights that I've cast into ignots. I have a deal with a Tyre shop near work for an endless supply of Wheel Weights if I bring in a dozen cans of Bourbon and Cola every now and then.

Recently a very generous chap loaned me a RCBS Ignot mould, casting ladel and 4 cast bullet Moulds, Lyman 358315 which drops .359 dia gas check 208gr using wheel weights for the 35.303. 429421 .430 dia gas check 221 gr proj using wheel weights, .430 dia 429215 plain base 250 gr [ hollow points ] using wheel weights for my Marlin .426 bore / .429 groove .44 mag.

There's also a plain base 358198 brass 2 cavity mould I have not used yet as it does not quite fit my mould handles which is a bugger as it looks like it would drop great proj for my .357 mag M92 Rossi. I traded a 357446 for some custom leatherwork with a mate. It casts plain base .359 dia 161 gr SWC from wheel weights. They feed well through my Rossi

In a few weeks I'll buy the Lee Ignot mould as it's cheap and will work fine but I will buy a RCBS ladel, I like the way the one I loaned pours. I bought a Lee ladel but it only works well on the .359 161 gr projectiles.

I have not had a chance to shoot any of the projectiles I've cast so far as I'm waiting on gas checks and sizing dies. The .35 cal gas checks and a .358 sizing die will arrive late next week. The .430 resizing die and gas checks will need to wait another few weeks. I bought the .358 die as it's a simple matter to polish it out to a larger diameter if I need too but at least in my .357 mag it will size to the correct diameter. It has a .350 bore / .357 groove and shoots .358 proj well. If I need a .359 or .360 die for the .35.303 I'll buy one already machined but not until I see if the .358 die sized 358315 shoots.

I have heard and read the 358315 shoots well in the .358 Winchester at higher velocity's and as my 35.303 is very similar I am hoping they wil shoot in my Enfield. If they don't, no worries as I've started saving for a custom mould that I'll order after I've done a chamber casting and slugged my barrel to be sure I have the right mould made.

I'm not really interested in pushing the 35.303 especially with the 208 gr 358315, something over 2200 fps would be OK. I've been messing around with Mountain Moulds online programme and it appears a 235 gr projectile will give me a good balance of overall length and mass. If that projectile could be driven around 2100 fps I'd be a happy man. These loads are well under what the Rifle is capable of but I'm trying to tone my expectations down, perhaps I need to tone them down further - time will tell.

I have made up my own lube using ATF, Carnuba Wax, Parrafin wax and Bee's wax for the pistol calibres that I'll also try in the 35.303. If it works, great if not I have a couple of other similar formula's at hand that use Lithium grease and a few of the other ingredients that are said to be the go to 2500fps by a mate of mine that uses them

regards Jacko

--------------------
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' " -Charles Darwin

Edited by Perry (19/04/11 11:37 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
Re: Just started Casting - Learning a lot [Re: Perry]
      #179462 - 20/04/11 03:18 AM

Casting will certainly allow you to do more shooting on your dime. Finding a good and cheap source of metal for casting gets harder and harder but you have already climbed that hill. Lyman 429421 is the great Elmer Keith 245gr plain base bullet. I'll bet I've cast and shot more than 10,000 of those. You really don't need any other 44 mag bullet, great for hunting or practice. When you are able, purchase a lube/sizer it makes life easy.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
Re: Just started Casting - Learning a lot [Re: gatsby]
      #179516 - 20/04/11 06:33 PM

Perry,
Great to read your post on your venture into casting.
I'd say the .358 sizing die you have should be OK in your 35-303, I'd certainly try it out first before I bought more.

You may find that the wheelweights on their own, may not allow you to get to 2100-2200 fps without a touch of leading. With the pure lead you have, if you don't have a need for it, say for a muzzleloader, I'd try and swap it for more wheelweights or some linotype, to harden up the wheelweights slightly.
You may also try dropping the wheelweight bullets out of the mould into a bucket of water, give them a few days, and they should turn out harder than the non water quenched ones.
Wheelweights quench very well, no need for the extra linotype in it then.
Put a sponge on the bottom of the bucket so the hot bullets don't hit the bottom of the bucket, but land on a sponge.

One very big warning though, DO NOT splash any water into molten lead, or moisture from anywhere, it turns to steam instantly and will literally explode, covering you in molten lead.

I would like to suggest to you to keep asking questions here if you need to, there are a number of very experienced bullet casters on Nitro Express, and we are all here to bounce questions and ideas off one another.

An old boss of mine used to tell me, "There are no such things as stupid questions, just stupid mistakes".
If any of us can help, we will.

And lastly, post photos and tell us how they go for you!!

Regards,
David.

Perry
.275 member

Re: Just started Casting - Learning a lot [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #179517 - 20/04/11 07:32 PM

Evening folks

Gatsby, seems I mixed up the moulds, 429215 casts 221 gr gc proj and the 429421 casts 250 gr plain base as you have pointed out. I wonder if the mould I'm using has been converted to a hollow point mould or is this how it came - what a pain in the backside to use aswell, that bloody fiddly hollow point pin drove me to distraction more than once. I've heard and read a lot of Elmer Keith. I'll find out soon enough if these bullets shoot in my 1894 Marlin.

David, I forget to mention that I have a 15 kg slab of Linotype. Boy is that stuff rare to find. I found it behind a printer's building when it turned up there a few weeks back, a staff member was using it as a seat on a concrete block. Seems it's been nearly 20 years since it was fazed out with the printers around my area. I have not melted it into Ignots yet

I have a mate that lives around the corner that has been casting for 4 or 5 decades and he has been advising me. I have been quenching the projectiles in a large bucket of water which I keep well away from my casting pot and change some of the water regularly to keep it cool. Thanks for the tip with the sponge in the bottom of the bucket. My mate has also mentioned to me about hardening the wheel weights in the oven, I'm not that brave - the missus would make me pay out of all proportion to the crime.

I'll just have to experiment and see what proves the best lube / lead alloy for the 35.303. I don't want too hard a projectile and I don't want too low a velocity, may as well stick to the .44 mag in that case.

I do not rule out a muzzle loader or a black powder metalic cartridge Rifle in the future [ would love a 1874 Sharps replica } so will hang onto the pure lead. I'll also experiment with added solder sticks etc. I get a fair few stick on wheel weights that I'm told are pure lead but when I melt them down I label them as stick on wheel weights just in case I mix them up with what I know is pure lead. As you say perhaps I can also trade some of it at a latter date.

I'll be asking plenty of questions and will post photo's of my efforts

regards Jacko

--------------------
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' " -Charles Darwin

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
      #179542 - 21/04/11 06:31 AM

Quote:

I get a fair few stick on wheel weights that I'm told are pure lead.

Perry, I was lead to believe that the stick-on ones carried a lot of zinc in their make-up.
but I suppose there might be different manufacturers of these things, so the contents could well vary considerably between them. Good that you have kept them apart.

You are fortunate to have someone nearby that has that sort of experience, Good luck.

David.

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Just started Casting - Learning a lot [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #179559 - 21/04/11 10:18 AM

I picked up 85kg's of wheel weights the other day and there are a lot of stick on weights in there.
To my knowledge there are some pure lead ones and some zinc ones as well.The zinc ones are harder and shinier.
I have removed all the ones that aren't lead and returned them.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Just started Casting - Learning a lot [Re: FATBOY404]
      #179586 - 21/04/11 11:39 PM

The 245gr. .429", so called Thompson bullet - the gas checked version of Keith's bullet is a good one for lever guns.

WW- dropped quickly into water will attain anywhere from about 24 brinel to 32 brinel - in other workds, varied, depending on their exact temperature when they hit the water.

Pure Linotpye runs Brinel 22 and is very brittle when cast straight, due to it's very high antimony content. Mixing it 75%/25% with pure lead should give an alloy that will allow an easy 2,100fps in the .35 rifle and produce a slightly more ductile alloy.

Mixing 75% (hard) WW with 25% Linotype should give an alloy that will take just about any velocity in the .35 yet the noses should expand slightly and sluff off like a Nosler bullet in game.

Lyman manuals usually give the formula for Brinel 16 - ie: Lyman's #2 alloy - a mix of pure lead, lino and tin. This is the alloy Lyman moulds are supposed to labeled as to weight.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Perry
.275 member

Re: Just started Casting - Learning a lot [Re: DarylS]
      #179936 - 25/04/11 07:31 PM

Evening Gents, hope your Easter has been safe.

Been away at a Traditional Archery Shoot since Friday morning so have not tested any cast bullets as of yet, next week I'll get a chance provided the Gas Checks and .358 resizing Die arrive.

Daryl, thanks for the info re mixing alloys. Very informative. I assume you are talking Gas Checked projectiles with the velocity's you have stated.

Any thoughts on the Bullet Lube I have mixed. 100 ml Automatic Transmission Fluid, 200 grams Bee's Wax, 100 grams Candle / Parrifin Wax and 200 Grams Red Carnuba wax. Worth trying in the .35.303 or save it for the .357 and .44 mag

Should I go buy some Lithium grease to add to the mix. what aboutLanolin based grease. I've heard it's good for high velocity.

As I said earlier I have a very experienced mate advising me, it's not I don't trust or listen to him, just after as much info from experienced folks as I can gather and bounce idea's about.

regards Jacko

--------------------

eljefedouble
.300 member

Reged: 23/04/06
Loc: Vic, Australia
      #241500 - 31/01/14 12:07 AM

Nearly 3 years later another wannabe newb pipes in.
Been casting for about a year , .45acp, 7x57,.30,

Learnt to befriend all tyre shops in a 20 km radius, ,find the idea of mKing my own alloy and lube very Therapeutic.

Find the LASC notes and info the absolute cats whiskers. If you can't find it on castboolits.com, you won't need that info...
Made several dozen different lubes, settled on a couple of favorites
Had my CB tested out by some experienced casters and users, happy to report all is well
Now make my own GC
All in all, a very nice journey, initiated by Von Gruff.
I even convinced 2 other mates to start casting, one is into it big time, casts for everything ,latest is a 500 gr mould for his .45-70 Marlin and NEF single shot

I hope to try out CB in Victoria this year

Cheers

--------------------
"it dont mean a thing, if it aint got no zing"
"Toa bunduki mkubwa"

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: Just started Casting - Learning a lot [Re: eljefedouble]
      #241507 - 31/01/14 03:20 AM

For all high velocity loads, ie: when getting up around 2,00fps and higher, I'd suggest LBT Blue lube.
I still have a bit of the original LBT Blue - the stuff that needed a heater for the lube-sizer. With heat treated 269gr. Lyman bullets sized .377", I was able to run just over MOA at 100 meters at 2,700fps - no leading.

500gr. bullet is heavy for the restricted overall length of 2.55", but should still be able to get upwards of 1,550fps - maybe a bit better.

I suggest Hodgdon Bench Mark (you'd use ADI equivalent) - I'm sure you should be able to do those speeds with it considering the OAL restriction - without the need for special lubes. Simple Beeswax/Vaseline mixes worked for me in .45 and .50 cal. rifles, right up to 2,000fps.

Sizing the bullets .001" to .002" over groove diameter is usually a good idea.

--------------------
Daryl

eagleyes
.224 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #241530 - 31/01/14 04:28 PM

Perry

That 15kg of linotype you picked up sounds a bit suspicious to me, you would not normally find linotype in that form unless in an ingot. However if it is about 17mm thick and rectangular with square sides it may be stereotype, not linotype. Stereotype was used as a mount for images in page composition as well as making plates for rotary presses. It is a little harder than linotype 80% lead, 6% tin and 14% antimony, Brinnel hardness 23-24. Linotype is 84% lead, 4% tin and 12% antinomy, Brinnel hardness 21-22. Not much in it but useful when calculating your alloy. Also worth knowing that a lot of lino is probably tired, meaning that tin and antimony content has been run down over the last years of its use in the printing industry.

eljefedouble
.300 member

#241541 - 31/01/14 10:47 PM

Quote:

For all high velocity loads, ie: when getting up around 2,00fps and higher, I'd suggest LBT Blue lube.
I still have a bit of the original LBT Blue - the stuff that needed a heater for the lube-sizer. With heat treated 269gr. Lyman bullets sized .377", I was able to run just over MOA at 100 meters at 2,700fps - no leading.

500gr. bullet is heavy for the restricted overall length of 2.55", but should still be able to get upwards of 1,550fps - maybe a bit better.

I suggest Hodgdon Bench Mark (you'd use ADI equivalent) - I'm sure you should be able to do those speeds with it considering the OAL restriction - without the need for special lubes. Simple Beeswax/Vaseline mixes worked for me in .45 and .50 cal. rifles, right up to 2,000fps.

Sizing the bullets .001" to .002" over groove diameter is usually a good idea.

Will need to increase my repertoire a bit, I should be back with my 9.3x62 CZ and the .404 Jeffery (custom made by Afro ) this year.

The 7x57 is an great cartridge to learn from.
Planning to download it for my daughter - 130 and 145Gr CB mouse loads with about 19 gr of 4227 (AR 2205)
Iam afraid I am not familiar with any restrictions for the .45-70 here ,Daryl. To the best of my knowledge , my friend uses them standard size.
We are working up loads for that 500 grain and I've suggested that he keep the velocity below 1400fps for that lightweight NEF single shot. Wouldnt want it causing grief at both ends.
I pan lube with BW/ Vaseline and 2 tsp each of ATF and 2 stroke.
Another fav is the BW/Vaseline with a couple of tsp of lanolin and olive oil.
Got to be careful mixing lube here. Most times , it's just right for the cooler weather we have.A heat wave last week, with 105*F heat melted and smeared one batch of lubed projjies

Pierre & eagle eyes
I've found WW marked Zn and Fe , in the lots I pick up

I was taught is not to get the smelt temp too high.i.e when the lead goes into liquidus, if there are any zinc WW, they should float to the top for easy removal.and it did happen a couple of times.Nope I don't have a thermometer, happy to gauge it by
The look and flow and ofcourse, the look of the projjies.I must say,I've learnt it's not as arcane as I first thought it to be, common sense safety features are a MUST.
I flux mercilessly with wood chips, pine dust.Wife has donated a few of her wooden spatula/ spoons to my latest madness.stir and flux at the same time.multitasking at its best,eh?
Wax as a sacrificial reductant,after the smelt is nice and clean and fluxed ad infinitum.
50-50 tin/solder stick IF the fill out is still not satisfactory after all the above.most times,I've found in my limited experience, a goodly dose of wood chip fluxing does restore the vitals like Tin back into the alloy.i have had my share of 'oatmeal' alloy though...

Cheers

--------------------
"Toa bunduki mkubwa"

Edited by eljefedouble (31/01/14 11:07 PM)

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#241545 - 01/02/14 03:24 AM

Sorry I should have noted the Marlin has the overall length restriction of 2.54" or 2.55" - OR the rounds will not feed and will jam the action. Deep seating will reduce the cased capacity and thus velocities that can be achieved.

I've gone back over this thread and I see no-where, a mention of Marlin OR NEF?? perhaps I'm just going nuts.

--------------------
Daryl

eljefedouble
.300 member

#241556 - 01/02/14 10:37 AM

No worries , Daryl.
The heads up is appreciated. There are 2 great projectiles made here by THE BULLET FACTORY, a 300 , deep hollow point and a mono metal, hex broached HP , both of which are fantastic performers in the 45-70 and the short , .458 JCE,an Aussie wildcat based on a WSM case. I had one in a 7 lb version. Excellent.

--------------------
"Toa bunduki mkubwa"

Perry
.275 member

#241589 - 02/02/14 09:41 AM

Good to see an old thread given some new Life Folks

eljefedouble I still have that plate of what I thought was Linotype. Thanks for the heads up that it may well be stereotype. I have not heard of it before, your description is pretty well spot on.

I have just bought a 458400 Cast Bullet Engineering Mould for my Rossi Rio Grande 45.70. With Wheel Weight alloy I get 413 gr Projectiles. Have not done any exhaustive load development yet but with high Trapdoor Level Loads it shoots nice round groups. I'll push em as fast as the plain base will allow with more load development experimenting with alloy etc.

I have 2 Cast Bullet Engineering Moulds, both a real pleasure to use and the service I received from David when I bought this last Mould a few weeks back first rate !

I have been playing with some Westcast .459 500gr Commercial Hard Cast Projectiles of late that I was given. I've only tried 2 loads so far, book says the last load is around 1415fps. Seems to me it is a mild load and I can step it up some. The Rio Grande weighs 6.5#. It is a pussycat with these big Projectiles under recoil.

I bought the Rio Grande 45.70 instead of a Zastava .458 Win Mag due to finances, don't regret it at all but Boy hasn't it lit the Fire for a BIGGER Calibre and shooting more Cast Bullets. I have learned much, especially from my mistakes since I started Casting.

Regards Jacko

--------------------

Edited by Perry (02/02/14 09:42 AM)

eljefedouble
.300 member

#241595 - 02/02/14 03:05 PM

Too late to tell you to back out.You are well and truly IN,Pierre
it was Eagle eyes who suggested about stereotype.
I guess you can use it to make alloy to your specs?
I have this excel sheet calculator, which i can PM.all you do is fill in the blanks opposite the required metal/mix and the BHN gets calculated.Works well enough for me.
The CBE stuff is indeed good.I had 2 follow me home,one from a dyslexic moment, where I READ a POINT FOUR THREE TWO inch mould as a .four TWO three. Sold it after I realised I'm not ready for a .44 cal
Latest one was a .309 CBE, no accident, got it off a mate who was cleaning up!
HAve plans for Dave for later this year.I have been on the receiving end of Dave's great services, and can agree that Dave deserves all the good words,no doubt.

I have no real experience with the .45-70,except a few shots I've taken at a target, with a .45-70.But if you ever get those TBF monopex and Deep HP 300 grainers , grab them.I'm told Jason might be closing up.Pity,as his jacketed projjies were excellent.

I'm guessing, if you dont harden the Plain base projjies too much, the base bump/ nose slump should be adequate to ensure obduration and engagement in the rifling,& help accuracy?
All my CB are GC, so we'll let some experienced caster answer that one...
Keep on pouring

7mm projjies 50:50 WW/Lino

--------------------
"Toa bunduki mkubwa"

Edited by eljefedouble (02/02/14 03:18 PM)

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#241631 - 03/02/14 06:19 AM

In straight cases, you should find that a base wad of automotive gasket material, or card stock (I like monopoly board at 1/10") will allow higher speeds than a non-base wad load when using plain base bullets. I have also used cup-down gas checks under plain base bullets with good results. In both the .458 and .50, I was able to load to 2,000fps with plain based bullets + base wad, without leading and with good accuracy. Note, the lead was hardened WW and .002" larger than the groove diameter to start with.

Perry
.275 member

#241654 - 03/02/14 09:47 PM

Daryl your post is timely, last few weeks I have been wondering about base wads under the 458400 CBE Projectile. Guess all that's to do now is buy myself a suitable sized Hole Punch and some Gasket Material and work a Load up. I have read that Waxed Milk Carton Cardboard works as well, have you heard of this ?

regards Jacko

--------------------

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#241677 - 04/02/14 05:03 AM

Yes - however many shooters now "favour" what is sold as "Vegetable Fiber Wads".

A shooter whom I respect a great deal has found & relayed to me that many of these "Vegetable Fiber Wads" had lettering, or parts of lettering on them and if you put the puzzle together, you find the lettering that is on the back side of ordinary automotive gasket material. Due to it's nature, it would make an excellent wad. It should be a tight fit in the ctg. case's neck.

I've always had my best results with monopoly board material - but I do confess - I've not use the "Vegetable Fiber Wads" myself.

We've made our own wad punches using sections of old rifle barrel and turning them on the lathe. An arch punch set will have many useable sizes for different calibre rifles.

--------------------
Daryl

Oldbrit
.333 member

Reged: 04/04/10
Loc: UK
      #241678 - 04/02/14 05:06 AM

Last Saturday a shooting pal gave me a large slab of yellow wax which he tells me is used for lost wax casting. I melted it down and strained it through an old handkerchief to remove any bits and what I now have is a wax that looks like beeswax, has no noticeable smell and has a consistency about the same as ordinary 50/50 beeswax, Alox bullet lube at room temperature (say 60 F.). I’ve tried to find out exactly what this stuff is but the only thing I’ve found on the Internet is a health and safety description that matched the appearance and said it was “hydrocarbon wax”.

I’m guessing that it would run through a lubrisizer exactly as it is. I’ll try pan lubing a few bullets and see what happens.

Has anybody got any thoughts on the suitability of this wax as bullet lube, either by itself or as part of a formula?

Perry
.275 member

#241695 - 04/02/14 11:32 AM

Quote:

Yes - however many shooters now "favour" what is sold as "Vegetable Fiber Wads".

A shooter whom I respect a great deal has found & relayed to me that many of these "Vegetable Fiber Wads" had lettering, or parts of lettering on them and if you put the puzzle together, you find the lettering that is on the back side of ordinary automotive gasket material. Due to it's nature, it would make an excellent wad. It should be a tight fit in the ctg. case's neck.

I've always had my best results with monopoly board material - but I do confess - I've not use the "Vegetable Fiber Wads" myself.

We've made our own wad punches using sections of old rifle barrel and turning them on the lathe. An arch punch set will have many useable sizes for different calibre rifles.

Just checked out the cost of pre cut Vegetable Fibre Wads here in Australia, nearly $50 a 1000. I will be looking for Gasket Material and a Hole Punch. Thanks for the advise

regards Jacko

--------------------

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#241698 - 04/02/14 12:40 PM

I don't have a clue as to what's in it, Brit- but if it work, it works.

For a rule of thumb:

:If the bullets lead only at the muzzle, there was not enough lube.

:If the bullets lead at the breech, the lube was too hard.

:If the bullets lube throughout the bore, the lube is not suitable as a lube - or the alloy was too soft, or bullets undersize and too hard to obturate.

:If using black powder for hunting loads where more than one shot will be fired without wiping, you should be able to fire a minimum of 5 shots and have ALL of the fouling wipe from the bore with a SINGLE DRY patch - that shows the lube was working properly for a BP lube.

:Look at the muzzle of the gun after shooting. There should be a thin lube ring outside the muzzle, on the crown to show lube worked all the way to the muzzle.

just some hints - hope they help.

--------------------
Daryl

eljefedouble
.300 member

#241711 - 04/02/14 04:40 PM

Good points there, Daryl.

Old Brit-try as is, with caveats as above .
you can otherwise try the wax (?BW)and 2 tsp of ATF.
Melted and whipped in a double boiler.
Depending on how gummy/sticky or dry you want it to be, add vaseline and and a couple of tsp 2T oil.
I'm guessing UK weather will need a wee bit of vaseline to that mix?
We want it a bit sticky.Not too dry to flake off the lube grooves...
GL

Perry:
Some people i know have used the regular UHT milk cartons for wad material.
I may use a milk carton wad/dental wax combo for 350-400 gr CB in my .404J.

--------------------
"Toa bunduki mkubwa"

Edited by eljefedouble (04/02/14 05:00 PM)

Oldbrit
.333 member

#241719 - 04/02/14 07:32 PM

Thanks Gents.

I'll report back after Thursday (next shooting day).

Oldbrit
.333 member

Re: Just started Casting - Learning a lot [Re: Oldbrit]
      #241896 - 07/02/14 07:31 AM

I tried the wax this afternoon with about 20 rounds of 45 Long Colt in my Winchester Trapper carbine. The loads were giving about 1,000 fps.

There was a little leading at the breech but not much. I'm going to try again by re-melting and putting a dollop of Lee Liquid Alox in it. I think that should make it just about ideal for low velocity rounds. I'll keep the commercial stuff for my full power rifle loads. For black powder I'd mix it with Vaseline or even a molybenum grease.

If there's any more going I'll be very glad of it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15341

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com