Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure
      #175832 - 20/02/11 03:02 AM

Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure

One of our friends retrieving a pheasant.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Freeloader123
.275 member

Reged: 23/07/10
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure [Re: NitroX]
      #177266 - 17/03/11 04:26 PM

Good friends indeed. Sometimes they bring us something more valuable than pleasure.

From the US Naval Institute blog:

"The name has been changed, but the story is true. Care to guess what the Navy is doing for Joe?

“We were called on a mission under circumstances that we normally don’t like to go. We generally work at night and we generally work when there’s not a full moon and we generally get to choose the circumstances a little better, but this time we did not, and I can’t discuss the nature of the mission, but there was a reason that we had to go. And we somehow ended up landing next to a compound full of people.

We pushed through south, kind of moving to the north in the helicopters and when you land near structures, it’s extra terrifying because, like what happened on this one, you don’t know who’s there, and if they’re bad guys, those helicopters look like school buses and they feel like bullet magnets. So, the helicopters landed and I could hear over the rotors the guns–there was a mean gunfight going on. I was in Chop 1, Chop 2 landed a little bit farther to the east, probably 100 meters, that was the helicopter that was being engaged, and the men coming off that helicopter were immediately in a–in a serious gunfight. We maneuvered–I was a Team Leader and we maneuvered to get on line, to try to stay out of the beating zone where the bullets were going on, and while we were doing this, there were–as is common, there were people running, and it was very difficult to ascertain who was who, so you can’t just start shooting people, you have to close in on them.

As the team from Chop 2, the other helicopter suppressed the fire, there were some grenades, rockets, it was a heavy-duty engagement. I could see that there were multiple what we call ‘squirters” that were moving and–and running from structure to structure and hiding in fields, and we had to cover some ground. And it was important that we–the nature of the mission called for us to find people, specifically to find people. Because of the significance of the firefight at our insert, I was very concerned that we were messing with people that weren’t your average dirt farmer Taliban, that the level of fire, the volume and the amount and the types of fire we had received, belt-fed machine guns, heavy duty stuff, not just some farmer with an AK47, it was heavy duty, I was really concerned, and when I saw there were people running just crazy, the people in this little village were frightened, I knew we had to get close and identify people and the best way to do that was to divide up my team, there were three shooters, myself, another shooter, “Joe” and his dog , and I sent a team farther to the east as we moved southward in the initial contact.

Other teams were maneuvering and there were other gunfights going on at this time. It was very confusing and very dynamic. As we moved south, we crossed through some structures which we had to clear quickly because we’d seen people run from them, but we needed to make sure that they were secured because you can’t move past something and then hope that those people are going to come back around on you, you need to worry about what’s in front of you. So, I could see the other half of my team maneuvering, and I had picked “Joe” specifically, I wanted to go with him because I knew this was his fifth or sixth mission. This was the first time he’d been in a really heavy-duty gunfight, and I wanted to make sure that I had eyes on him with the dog because I had experience with that as well.

As we moved through the fields, we engaged people who were hiding with the women and children, which is common with the Taliban, and just about any other terrorist like that, they hide. When you get the drop on them, they hide with the women and they hide behind them and the children, so we had to engage on a couple of occasions during our movement to the south, we had to engage people, and then at one point we saw some people in the ditch and I said to “Joe”, “Send him, man, send the dog,” so he sent the dog and the dog kind of–he ran in the direction and he kind of stopped for a second, he paused, and then “Joe” gave him the command again, and I’ve only seen one other dog really do that, and I figured the reason why he did it, and we knew later, it was because there were children in the ditch.

So, once that happened, we moved in, we could see with the equipment we were using, we were using lasers and the night vision, we could see they were children, “Joe” took the dog off, held security, I grabbed the children out of the ditch, I talked to them, I put them in the center of the field, I threw chem lights around them and then, as I turned from that, “Joe” and the other shooter that was with me, I looked at them and they were looking–there was an aircraft overhead that was burning, some more individuals moving, and there were a group of them and they split up, and some of them moved to the east, I’m facing south now, some of them were moving to the west. So, I–being a dog guy, and “Joe” helped me, we wanted to set up where the wind was, there–we were in a field that was about as flat as this, with ditches occasionally where the kids were hiding, and there were weeds maybe knee high and it was very flat. They moved a little bit to the west, and we maneuvered to the south and farther west to open up the distance with them and get downwind so that the dog could smell them, and because of–to this point we had–we had run across several groups of children or women or combinations of children, women and terrorists, I wanted to try and take it as slow as possible, but I knew that we were going to have to get close, unless we could get them to maneuver to us.

So, we sat down or we knelt down quietly in the field, they moved, and they moved around for a little bit and then they stopped, and when they stopped they just–they got very low and still, and I–I’m guessing at distances, but probably we were 150 meters roughly from them and perfectly lined up with them. So, we sat and I said, ‘Okay, we have to go get them. Are you guys ready?” and they said, “Yes.” So, we moved out, “Joe” and I moved together, lined the dog up and we started moving towards them. And, you know, again we’re going to have to line up to send the dog, and he was going to buy us a little time, so a full moon, fields like this, and weeds about knee high, and I knew when we sent him that we only had a few seconds. So, we started walking, kind of crouched, walking towards them, walking towards them, walking towards them, close to about maybe 30 meters or roughly that, and I said, ‘Okay, “Joe”, send him quietly,” and he sent him, and he gave him the command and he went out. And you could see him, you’ve heard talk of the way dogs indicate on things, he could smell men, he was–he was on them, and when they smell the fear of those–’cause they’re scared, they know, man, and it makes them hungry and ready to fight, and you could see him just bob his ears and his tail, and he started hauling ass, and so we–we have to stay with him, man, we’re right on top of him, he’s only going to buy you a second.

So, I remember running, I was watching him, he was about from me to you, sir, and when he looked at me as though he got to one of the black shapes, they were hiding behind the small berm ditch, and I heard boom, boom, two quick shots, and I knew they were loaded. I couldn’t tell if they hit him or not, and there wasn’t really time to worry about it, I had to start filling them in, and then they say you never hear the bullet that gets you, and you don’t. I fell forward and rolled towards them, it hit me and I flipped forward, my back was to them, and my first thought was, “I’m a dead man,” I’m right–I mean I’m this far away, I’m dead. l–l really thought I was done, man, ’cause we were that close to them, and I didn’t know what was going on with the dog. And at first when you’re shot, it doesn’t–you–l just felt my leg give way.

Then I thought I was going to die because I was so close, I was waiting for the next shot and didn’t come, and it didn’t come ’cause that dude went to work, that dude being “Joe”. I heard–we had suppressed weapons, silencers, I could hear pops, gunshots from guns that didn’t have suppressors, spraying automatic, which I knew wasn’t him. I could hear the two suppressors, his and the other shooter who had come around to make the I could hear thumps and then something else, and they ended up being grenades being thrown at us. I heard silence for a minute, and then I screamed, I was in such pain, I wasn’t nearly as tough as I thought I would be, I was screaming, it hurt bad, and then I heard more shooting, and the most distinct sound of all was I could hear him walking, whoosh, whoosh, and crunching the weeds, and he was walking at them, and this is something that–you can’t train somebody to do that.

You can try as hard to replicate what it’s like to get shot at, to have your dog get shot and killed, to have your buddy next to you go–go down, you don’t know if he’s dead. And most people’s natural instinct is to run. He didn’t do that; he kept walking, whoosh, whoosh, I could hear his suppressor, whoop, whoop, whoop, and I heard hissing because the Taliban he was shooting had RPG rockets on their backs, and the propellant for the rockets, when the bullet would go through it, it would shhhhh, it would make a hissing sound, it would ignite that booster, and he kept walking, and he kept walking. And then I heard some rapid shots from him, I presume it was him or the other shooter, and then he came over and he knelt next to me… , and then the other shooter came over while he held security. And then I faded in and out a little bit, I lost a lot of blood. Some other folks came over to help with tourniquets and bandages, and he went to work on the dog after he was certain that I was being taken care of and it was secured. I don’t know exactly what he did with the dog. He could have done a trach, ’cause most of his mouth was blown up, he could have put a trach in his throat to get air to him, he could have given him mouth-to-mouth or mouth-to-nose in this occasion, stop the bleeding. While, I was carried over to the helicopter, I was hopping on my left leg and screaming and being carried by a bunch of teammates and when I turned around and sat down, I was really concerned about the dog as well, and “Joe” was carrying him, and he- -he had to have help carrying him, and his gear.

When we got back to the MEDEVAC place, I remember asking about the dog, I remember seeing him there, and I don’t remember much after that. I’d lost, I think, units of blood, something like that, and I went under and, when I woke up, I was in–somewhere else, but the guy who helped me get on the helicopter went out, after they pronounced the dog dead, they went back to the fight.”"

If the first two sentences throw you, the Navy is kicking "joe" out. Some gay guy who couldn't legally serve in the US military lied his way in, then made up a bunch of lies about some fictional hazing incidents involving "joe" the dog handler. A Senior Chief Master-at-Arms.

They never happened. But the USN never admits it came up empty, so they claim some loss of confidence in the MACS's leadership and "allow" him to retire under honorable circumstance's with full benefits. Because to do otherwise would lead to a s^%$storm they can't and don't want to deal with.

The gay guy will probably get invited back. The Senior Chief's exemplary and occassionaly heroic service is, apparently, no longer desired. The dog, I hear, got the Silver Star.

Other than the dog getting the Silver Star, if that's justice in the USN I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with the lousy organization. Here's to the dog.

BillA
.224 member

Reged: 18/04/11
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure [Re: Freeloader123]
      #179414 - 19/04/11 10:22 AM

Reprinted from the Sept 2008 issue of the Club L'Epagneul Breton Inc' Vic' (Australia) newsletter (I was Editor at that time).
Thought those with gundogs might enjoy it.
I know they will empathise with it.

Bill Allen.

My Mate.

It has often been said that a man only ever has one good dog in his life time.
I don't necessarily subscribe to that line of thought.
I’ve been fortunate to own several extremely good dogs during my near 25 year association with the Epagneul Breton breed.
I do think however, that a man (or woman) may only have one really special dog in their lifetime.
Why that dog is special can only really be understood by that particular person.

Just over 13 years ago I paid my mate Alby Mangion a social visit.
Whilst there I was fortunate to see a pup he had bred being put through it’s paces.
I knew straight away that what I was witnessing was something very special indeed.
Never had I seen a pup with such natural ability, such an incredible nose, and such a depth of desire to retrieve. He loved the water and had the biggest heart I had ever seen.
He would go after anything that Alby could throw for him, no matter how thick the cover he faced.
I even have video of the young pup retrieving spanners and shifters that Alby would throw into the paddock for him.
Shortly after, Alby was kind enough to sell the young pup to me and so ‘Wayland Max’ and I first went home together.

Jump forward to 2008 - Just over a month ago I took Young ‘Ned’ (Max’s son) for a walk to the local swamp for a little retriever training. Max came along for the walk.
Little did I know then that at the completion of that session, Max and I would go home together for the last time.
On the evening of August 12th 2008 I said my final goodbye and laid my best mate to rest.
He was one month past his 13th birthday.
Perhaps it was fitting that it occurred on what is known in England and Scotland as ‘The Glorious 12th’ - the opening of the Scottish Grouse Hunting Season.

Max was no great trial winning dog, although we did do quite well in the end with a couple of wins and placings at Intermediate (Novice) level and Advanced (Restricted) retrieving
trials.
Max was one of those dogs that started slow and just kept getting better as the work progressed.
His 10th retrieve was always better than his 1st, but trials only allow 3 runs to get it right.
No, it was in the hunting field that Max rose above all others.
He never refused when I asked him to retrieve. His record is 387 pigeons in a single day’s
hunting. His nose never let him, nor I, down when he hunted.
Often he would find what others could not. He would retrieve what others would not.
The water was never too cold or flowing too fast. The mud was never too thick. The
birds never too smart. He would never give up whilst he could see or scent game.
Together we hunted quail, partridge, pheasant, duck, rabbit, hare, fox, and even the mighty Sambar Deer.

I had thrown 1 dummy too many for young ‘Ned’.
The smell of the nearby hare was just too enticing for him and he became distracted for a just few seconds. He lost the mark and ,not wanting to loose a good dummy, I thought I would
try old Max just one more time.
Even though he was blind in his left eye and could not see more than 5-10 feet out of
his other ‘good’ eye, he never hesitated or faltered when I gave him a line and quietly asked him to ‘fetch’ one last time.
On tired old legs he ambled slowly out into the swamp.
His giant heart again took him the distance and his brilliant nose once more pin pointed the dummy. Once more he delivered gently to hand and I gave him a loving scratch under his chin one last time.

I came home to find Max barely able to rise from his kennel to greet me, but still he made the effort. He had stopped eating a few days earlier and his big body was cold, even though he had his grandson ‘Buck’ to keep him warm in the kennel.
I worried that he was nearing the end of his journey.
Gently I picked him up and carried him inside to lie in front of the heater.
Max was never an overly affectionate dog, a scratch under the chin or behind the ear was all he ever
sought.
As I lay down with him he rested his big head on my arm, with his nose under my chin.
He looked into my eyes and I knew that he knew, his time had come.
I could not let him waste away any further and knew in my heart what had to be done.
A phone call was made to my mate Wayne Phelps and together that evening we buried the greatest
Epagneul Breton I have had the good fortune to know.

There will be other good dogs in my yard.
A man may have many good gundogs within his life.
But I will never have another ‘Wayland Max’.
Sleep well old Mate - you’ve earned it.

Bill.

I have done mostly what most men do.
And pushed it out of my mind.
But I can’t forget if I wanted to
Four feet trotting behind.
Day after day, the whole day through
Wherever my road inclined
Four-feet said: “I am coming with you”
And trotted along behind.
Rudyard Kipling.

--------------------
Bill Allen 'Windkael' Epagneuls Bretons. Melbourne Australia.

Edited by BillA (19/04/11 10:27 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure [Re: BillA]
      #209457 - 30/05/12 02:18 AM

John Sharp

--------------------
John aka NitroX

MaxGera
.275 member

Reged: 15/02/12
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
      #209516 - 30/05/12 12:48 PM

Mine is not exactly a hunting dog... although, Indy does a pretty good job of chasing away the squirrels from the window... and the bears from the garage.
Before:

After:

--------------------
To get things done, stop talking and start doing!

Edited by MaxGera (30/05/12 01:29 PM)

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
Re: Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure [Re: MaxGera]
      #209970 - 03/06/12 09:05 PM

I have never had a working dog but have of course had companions. In fact we laid to rest one of mine on May 21st his condition was declining quickly, nearly blind and with very poor hearing all due to old age. In a weeks time he would have reach 15 years of age:-

J-D (aka jack Daniels)

After moving where I am now and there being no where to walk lie we used to he started putting on weight so we found him a companion to help keep him fit:-

At 10 months old and on his first day here.

And as he is now.

We still mourn J-D and I doubt I'll see his like again.

--------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

HuntingSchneider
.333 member

Reged: 02/04/06
Loc: Tamworth, NSW
Re: Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure [Re: Brithunter]
      #209992 - 04/06/12 01:41 AM

I'm very much in the same boat.

My dogs were/are mates more so than working dogs, even though they are/were gundogs.

My first mate was a Hungarian Vizsla called Kiwi. I had no choice in the name, as he was a mature dog when I got him.
He was Australian champion for his breed and retired when the breeder separated from her husband. She moved into town and needed to rehouse some of her dogs. When I went out to meet them, this guy sat on my foot and leant on my leg. When I asked her which one was Kiwi, she pointed to the foot sitter.
Unfortunately he passed away at a much too young an age. He was 7 1/2yr old. I got home from work and he had passed.

After a month or so I had to get another mate. Not as a replacement, but another good friend.

I spoke to the local breeder of English Pointers who had two males that needed to be rehoused. One was her show dog who was also a retired Australian Champion, but he was very aloof. Actually aloof is not the word, standoffish is probably a better term.
The breeder said that he will cosy to me in a week or two, but will be like this with most people. I thought I'm pretty much a hermit now, If I get a pooch that doesn't like people I may as well live in a cave in the hills.
She then introduced me to Jasper. He needed to be rehoused after the previous owners could no longer look after him. We put on a lead and went for a walk. When we stopped he sat and leant against my leg. When I rubbed his ear, he lifted his head back and almost purred. I though "you'll do me". And he has become a bloody great tart. But still scary barks when people are at the door.
The first is him after an hour at home. He was a little anxious at first, but then went plop on the lounge and that has been his bed ever since.
The two others show him making himself tart comfortable on me on the lounge. Good hot water bottle.
The youtube link is a video that shows him purring like a cat. I rub his ears sometimes with my feet and a while ago did this. Droops head, crosses eyes and purrs.

http://youtu.be/ypxnTkEJGTo

They really are man best friend

--------------------
Liberals, stealing firearms since '96.
Steal one firearm, you're a thief. Steal a million, you're a Prime Minister.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure [Re: HuntingSchneider]
      #209997 - 04/06/12 02:29 AM

Some good mates there. Good to remember them.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#211432 - 24/06/12 03:20 AM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#211436 - 24/06/12 04:08 AM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

HuntingSchneider
.333 member

Reged: 02/04/06
Loc: Tamworth, NSW
      #211437 - 24/06/12 04:09 AM

Quote:

As every dog lover will agree. That is as it should be.

--------------------
Liberals, stealing firearms since '96.
Steal one firearm, you're a thief. Steal a million, you're a Prime Minister.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure [Re: HuntingSchneider]
      #212643 - 14/07/12 04:24 AM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

cooch
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/03
Loc: Southern NSW
      #212662 - 14/07/12 11:20 AM

Cheer up, Boss.

If we're hunting, it can't be that bad.....

--------------------
"The only logical response to an animal that lives obsessed with avoiding capture is to chase it." - Jose Ortega y Gassett

matthew69
.224 member

Reged: 27/05/12
Loc: tasmaina australia
Re: Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure [Re: cooch]
      #212666 - 14/07/12 04:40 PM

here my hunting mates

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure [Re: matthew69]
      #244057 - 21/03/14 02:33 AM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

steve20
.224 member

Reged: 20/11/11
Loc: Scotland,UK
      #245656 - 14/04/14 05:42 AM

My old SS, Misty.

Died far too young at 7 years.

I have the Brown Devil to contend with now.

And this wee bugger to collect in June.

Steve.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure [Re: steve20]
      #245666 - 14/04/14 07:36 AM

Love seeing the dogs, get a bit weepy when I do - but love seeing the dogs. Spaniels turn my heart over, remembering "Foxten's Lady Jessica", my little runt English springer - 30 pounds of hunting fervor.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

steve20
.224 member

Reged: 20/11/11
Loc: Scotland,UK
      #248934 - 13/06/14 09:24 PM

Quick update!

I bought home my new pup on Saturday,7th.June.

I think that she is a natural.

Bright as a button, and far too smart for her own good!

Steve.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #248952 - 14/06/14 06:05 AM

A couple of older pics,here is one of my pair.....Mr B intent on the quarry one early dawn in a light wisp of fog that didn't help any photography.

And his litter sister also intent on the game.Seven metres away and we were all shivering in excitement at the closeness.Mr B is on right locked on out of camera shot,I took some excellent facial shots of this young stag too plus some 'pretty good' video.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#248975 - 14/06/14 05:20 PM

Quote:

I think that she is a natural.

Steve.

Steve, love your little girl.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure [Re: gryphon]
      #248976 - 14/06/14 05:22 PM

Quote:

JG

As always your photos are excellent. Thanks for sharing some. Glad to see the hounds doing well. Do you still have the same three?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #248980 - 14/06/14 05:55 PM

No I`m down to two now,Choc staked herself down in the paddock on a sharp tree root on a fallen tree,I had to put her down mate.The other two are a handy pair,the dog especially as he gets the most work.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Lutz
.224 member

Reged: 06/05/14
Loc: Germany, Brandenburg
Re: Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure [Re: gryphon]
      #249234 - 19/06/14 04:36 PM

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure [Re: Lutz]
      #249247 - 20/06/14 04:33 AM

Steve20, John and Lutz great pics. Love these dog pics, the best hunting is with dogs! John sorry about the dog you lost!Staffan

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Our best friends whom bring us much pleasure [Re: Sville]
      #249251 - 20/06/14 08:18 AM

Here are my little girls - finally found a photo.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17420

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com