Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: buffalo charge and 2 doubles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
buffalo charge and 2 doubles
      #17469 - 31/07/04 03:46 AM

This is cut from an email that I received (it's not me):

In reply to:

Why I'll never use anything but a double rifles on dangerous game.

After it was all over and we settled down to a easy heart rate of 150 or so and my hands had gone from steady to adrenaline let off shakes extraordinaire. My Ph Lance Nesbitt of Swainson’s safaris looked at me with a distant gaze and simply stated "in 12 years of professional hunting I’ve only had two serious buffalo charges and they’ve both been in the last two weeks and in both cases if the client hadn’t had a double someone would have got killed". He then looked at the ground and said "that’s as close as I’ve come, we damn near got sorted".

The statement didn’t need to be made for my sake I was well aware of just how close we’d come to meeting the great PH in the sky. Sometimes in buffalo hunting or in any kind of dangerous game hunting things happen and they happen so fast that you only have time to react or your gonna get hurt or killed real bad. This was one of those rare yet not unheard of situations.

Just the day before we’d been talking about what a horrible year it has been for accidents just last month a famous booking agent and hunter got nailed by a buff not 20 miles from this concession she was very near killed and still recovering in the hospital. Last week a client was charged and killed while buffalo hunting with another outfit in Africa.

And a PH from South Africa was nailed by a buffalo and crippled up severely three weeks ago in Mozambique. It’s been a bad year for buff hunters.

We had cut tracks from two massive footed old dugga boys at about 07:00. And had a visual contact with them shortly afterward. It had just been a brief glimpse but we liked what we’d seen. The tracking process began in some of the nastiest thickest thorn and jesse I’d ever seen. After an hour or so we regained visual contact with the two buffalo and proceeded to stalk them in the thick stuff. One foot at a time scraping dead leaves out of the way before stepping trying to muffle the layer of cornflake like dry leaves which covered the ground. We were almost into position to take a shot when one of the buff spooked and they both thundered off into the Jesse snorting and crashing through branches as they went. Their spoor indicated that they’d only run for some 100 yards or so then settled back into a comfortable walk and soon after proceeded to browse on the plentiful trees and vines in the area.

Another hour and we’d once again had caught up to the buffalo they’d settled into a nice thick patch of mixed thorn and vine and trees that was all but impenetrable to a man much less so with any stealth.

There was however one option that presented itself. A dry river bed circumnavigated the nasty Jesse and allowed us to silently run past the buffalo and get in front of them. We did so and were able to climb up the side of a mud embankment giving us a height and vision advantage. Now all we had to do was wait.

The minutes turned into what seemed like hours before Cindisou the Matabelle tracker spotted the first gray shape start to materialize out of the tangled jungle below. First an ear, then a leg then a set of bosses, finally a whole buffalo but it was not the one we were waiting for . Our boy was a grizzled old warrior we’d seen earlier in the day. As the first buffalo faded past and disappeared Lance leaned over and whispered "when your boy comes he’ll cross right where the other one did if he gives you a shot take it and mind the brush we don’t need a wounded buff in this hell hole." I looked into the now vacant spot, my only shot was through a lane about 4 feet around and about 100 yards or so down into the flat.

Soon another gray shape started to materialize he stood with just his head exposed for a long time then finally stepped into the clearing giving me a hard quartering on shot to the shoulder. My Searcy .470NE was already in position the well fitted rifle smoothly came to position and held steady and as I rested my elbows on my knees. Lance leaned over and whispered "if he doesn’t go down to shot give him the other barrel quickly we don’t want trouble in here".

The front bead rested in the shallow V of the rear sight I took a deep breath and let it half out and squeezed the rear trigger even in the recoil I could see that the 500Gr Barnes x had struck pay dirt with a puff of dust and a thwack the buff hunched up hard and charged into the thicket ahead. I quickly placed my finger on the front trigger give him the second barrel as he was disappearing into the Jesse he was now quartering hard away. The 500gr Barnes monolithic solid hit him just at the last rib and raked into his lungs stopping in under the skin of the neck on the off side. It’s comforting to know that a Searcy double will shoot the various premium monolithic solids. Many doubles can not handle the strain of a monolithic solid.

Lance looked up at me and said it looked good lets give him sometime and we’ll go collect him. We sat for approximately 25 minutes we could hear the buffalo standing and breathing heavily not 50 yards from his original position but the thickness of the foliage kept us from seeing him he was obviously hit hard and the wound was mortal. The trackers were all smiles and thumbs up. They also felt the shot had been good.

After calming down a bit we proceeded into the hellish Jesse two solids in the spout and two in my left hand. My Searcy double felt very comforting as we very slowly, very cautiously proceeded into the thick tangled jungle of leaves vines and thorns. Every verve ending is alive all of your senses are magnified 10 fold. I’ve experienced this feeling before and with buffalo but this was very intense and it’s very fresh in my mind as it happened 4 days ago. Suddenly to our right we heard the bull crashing around and we turned just in time to see his dim shape through the brush he was laying down. Good news we think we turn to close the gap on him. At about 15 yards lance is just able to make out the bulls head. He says he got a shot I tell him to take it. I’m thinking that we need to end this before it gets serious I’ve long lost my desire to be the sole shooter on dangerous game in a situation like this you’re playing for keeps one shot kills are nice but back up shots save lives.

At Lances the shot the bull snorts a vicious low bellow from his gut and he’s coming fast and furious both lance and I shoot through the thick brush screen that separates the bull from us simultaneously hitting the bull square in the chest with over 10,000ftlbs of combined energy and .940" of combined diameter 1000grs of .470 bullets strike the bull square in the chest. It has no apparent affect on the bull he doesn’t even flinch. Lance drops off to my right his rifle is now empty. I charge to my left And remember clearly hearing the ejectors from lances double ping open. The bull is just clearing the Thorn brush that has separated us. I wait until his front half clears the brush at that same moment the bull is ducking his head preparing to toss me. The Searcy double automatically follows my eye it has become an extension of my body. IN far less time than it’s taken to tell my front bead has settled on the junction of the neck and the shoulders of this massive fast moving bull. My right barrel fires automatically when the sight picture is correct and the bull collapses into a heap my second barrel has broken the bulls spine at the junction of the shoulder and the neck. I continue my left dodge and reload on the dash pinging two empties over my right arm and dunking two more solids into the smoking breeches. The bull is struggling to get up and a small distant voice is urgently requesting for me to "shoot him again" For a moment I’m mesmerized at the sight, smell sound and the extreme proximity of the bull. He is down at less than 15 feet. I calmly raised the big double and send a final solid through his neck behind the ear. The bulls head settles into the ground and he releases his last breath .

On post mortem we found that both of my first two shots crossed the boiler room but both passed behind the heart . We recovered my first bullet a 500gr X in the opposite flank just forward of the hind quarter. His lungs looked like Swiss cheese. 25 minutes later he still had enough stuff left to very nearly end all of our worldly troubles. At Lances first shot the bullet had deflected on some sticks and had pierced the bulls ear and burned his neck with a graze. That set the bull into motion. Lances second shot and my first were about an inches apart and both struck the bull in the middle of the chest to low to hit the spine and my final shot broke the bulls back putting him down. This entire scene unfolded in less than 3 seconds.

On closer inspection we found that this old dugga boy was no stranger to mortal combat with man his left eye was missing and the socket was long healed over he also had an old scar just below the eye and his molars had been shot out the wound was most likely an old musket ball from a poacher in the distant past. .

Later that evening lance and I sat around the camp fire and discussed the days events over a gin and tonic. The outcome of this scenario could have been quite different. If I had not been shooting a well balanced and fitted double capable of delivering the classic one two punch that these fine rifles were designed for I most likely would have been tossed . I will never hunt dangerous game again with anything other than a fine Searcy double rifle.

Thank you Butch your fine double rifle saved my life..

Gregory T Allyn
July, 26th 2004

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: buffalo charge and 2 doubles [Re: 500grains]
      #17485 - 31/07/04 12:19 PM

What more can a person say!
Thankyou for relating your experience to us.
ALAN

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

vikram
.300 member

Reged: 29/07/04
Loc: Warwickshire,England
Re: buffalo charge and 2 doubles [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #17490 - 31/07/04 06:43 PM

Congrats on successfully stalling the charge.The entire adventure is very well written,almost like a visual.Regards-Vikram.

--------------------
"Routine is death to Heroism."- P.G.Wodehouse

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: buffalo charge and 2 doubles [Re: vikram]
      #17492 - 01/08/04 12:30 AM

Where is that thread on which is better in a charge, the bolt or the Double? From reading it I think he got four good shots into the Buff in a time frame that would have only allowed two from a Bolt. That's a pretty important achievement, particularly in this case where if only the first and third shot were there the whole outcome would have probably had a different ending.

Your friend had a very unique and exciting experience and may have indeed been toasted without the second shots available. A nice job of keeping your head when in an emergency.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Re: buffalo charge and 2 doubles [Re: mickey]
      #253926 - 23/09/14 12:13 PM

Cool post from 10 years ago!

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: buffalo charge and 2 doubles [Re: Cazadero]
      #253938 - 23/09/14 06:10 PM

He is a better man than me, I don´t think I would want to take a 100 yard shot on a buff in that jesse with irons but he did it so all kudos to him.

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Re: buffalo charge and 2 doubles [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #253939 - 23/09/14 06:35 PM

A good yarn and a very satisfying hunt

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4723

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com