Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ruger No 1 303

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
underlever
.300 member

Reged: 01/02/07
Loc: N.S.W Australia
Ruger No 1 303
      #170542 - 29/10/10 06:14 PM

G'day chaps,
picked up my No 1 in 303 Brit today. Its very easy to see that the machines truly are taking over the world, or maybe I've just been using hand made rifles too long. For the money I suppose they are pretty good though, and with the short barrel make a very compact rifle.
A nice touch I noticed is that on the instruction booklet, they list all the cals that the No 1 comes in, but the 303 isn't there!! My main gripe is with the saftey [of course] and the top tang sticks about a 1mm above the timber. This little bugger I'm sure is going to take a nip of flesh out of the web between thumb and finger at some point in the future unless I remove the butt and file a bevel on the end of the tang, which I not too keen on doing.
Anyway, will send a few through it on the weekend a see how the dear little thing goes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: underlever]
      #170547 - 29/10/10 07:32 PM

The thumb'll heal! Mine (.450/.400) has, twice. But each time it got ripped-up, it sure was worth the hassle. Anyway, a trip to the gunsmith (Alex) will fix that! Have fun with yours!

underlever
.300 member

Reged: 01/02/07
Loc: N.S.W Australia
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: Ben]
      #170701 - 31/10/10 09:56 PM

G'day fella,
well there is no news on how my 303 No 1 went at the range today due to the fact that the more I looked it over, the more disappointed I became. I will take it back to the gun shop in the morning to see what they think and what might be able to be done. This is only the 2nd new rifle I've ever owned [my first was a No1 in 7x57 circa 1989 ]which was a great rifle all round. Only sold this one to get money for engraving gear. Maybe my 303 was a late Friday or 1st thing Monday child?
Regards,
Ron.

Ben
.400 member

#170704 - 31/10/10 10:44 PM

Sorry to hear that. Other than the flimsy rear sight and the safety (both of which will be changed), I'm happy with mine... But I probably don't yet know what to look for, and what constitutes overly poor workmanship. Good luck with yours!

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #170705 - 31/10/10 11:30 PM

I think it's pretty well known that Ruger quality has dropped since Bill Ruger's death, but was in decline anyhow. I remember reading that the No. 1 was a slim margin rifle and was a matter of pride for the firm.

I bought a 45-70 a few years back, what a POS; I sold it. Last year I picked up a 1978 H-1 tropical .458 WM and the fit, finish and workmanship is outstanding.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #171152 - 08/11/10 10:30 PM

I have one of the first 6 into Australia. I am disappointed with the tool marks that are left on it and mine wont shoot for sh*t. yes the safety sticks up a bit.I will get around to working on the bedding and pressure points plus have the safety re contoured. Should not have to do this. Another owner of a 303 No.1 has no complaints with the way his shoots. Like any rifle it is a bit hit and miss on the accuracy stakes.

The Stainless laminated 375 H&H No 1 I had shot 3 into an inch at 100 no trouble.

baileybradshaw
.333 member

Reged: 21/06/08
Loc: Diana, TX
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: Rule303]
      #171159 - 09/11/10 12:14 AM

Unfortunate to hear reports of poor quality on these rifles. You would think special runs of rilfes would receive a little more attention as they are obviously going to enthusiastic customers. A missed opportunity for Ruger to increase their standing.

--------------------
www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

hunter_angler
.300 member

Reged: 24/03/10
Loc: Grand Marais, Michigan (home i...
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: baileybradshaw]
      #171176 - 09/11/10 04:09 AM

I would love to get a No.1 in .303 or .30-40 Krag, and set it up for target work.

Two fine old rimmed .30 caliber cartridges, with nearly the same versatility as the .308!

Unfortunately it does seem that as more time passes since the death of Bill Ruger, the company that bears his name is losing its way. It seemed to begin with the demise/abandonment of the Gold Label, and now the quality of construction seen in the No. 1 and M77 has slipped somewhat.

I might be better off getting a T/C Encore frame and a match grade barrel in each caliber...

Edited by hunter_angler (09/11/10 04:26 AM)

CWJ1898
.275 member

Reged: 28/01/09
Loc: LA, USA
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: hunter_angler]
      #171813 - 21/11/10 01:15 PM

Hunter Angler,
I had the same thoughts and was really excited about the recently available special run of Ruger No. 1s in .30-40 Krag offered by Cabelas. Cabelas claims that 100 were made with highly polished metal finish and stocked in Circassian walnut- beautiful guns from afar. However I recently looked at what the factory is putting out in their standard grades and have been less than impressed- the 22" barrel also did not make much sense to me. It was to be a project gun anyway with a trip to Turnbull Restoration in its future, but there are some things that cannot be hidden by a beautiful finish. I have elected to pass on this idea and have redirected attention to a Husqvarna Sporter in 9.3x57 to serve as an inexpensive, run it in the rain stalking arm (something I have been trying to nail down for quite some time). It seems Ruger has begun the move from its traditional base and are more interested in keeping pace with the current trends such as thier AR project. I suppose solvency in a weak economy is part of the equation. but one must wonder what W. B. Ruger would have thought of the recent developments? Bonanza brings up a very good observation with the earlier guns and although they are not easily found, an early example is worth the time lurking for one offered for sale- they do appear to be well made-.30-06 and 7mm Remington Magnum were made in the largest quantities at the time. It has been stated that the early guns have Douglas barrels, good triggers and were stocked by hand (without that ghastly wood to metal fit I have seen recently- proud fit would be a serious misnomer!). I still remain convinced it is a great candidate for consideration I just have not found the one that fits all my desired characteristics. I owned one in the venerable .45/70 Government and one in .405 Winchester both found new homes without much remorse on my part.

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: CWJ1898]
      #171818 - 21/11/10 02:23 PM

My personal opinion is that if I want a really good new No1, get an old action and have it made to what I want. I am so unimpressed with my 450/400. The action is sloppy and a real shame compared to the nice tight actions of yore. Even the lever is as loose as a goose!

Ruger have really demeaned the No1 name with recent production rifles.

Cheers, Chris

Ben
.400 member

Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: Rockdoc]
      #171819 - 21/11/10 02:55 PM

I'd be real interested for you to have a look at mine, Chris, and see if it is similar or different to yours. As I said, I really don't know what to look for, but I am very happy with mine.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #171820 - 21/11/10 03:45 PM

Although I feel for you guys that have bought one of these Ruger No1 303s and find the workmanship less than desired, I'm pretty pleased as I came within a whisker of placing an order for one. Instead I just bought a Marlin XS7, left the scope in the shop and took an expensive ($NZ100) German sling instead. Put a 3-12x AO Bushnell on it. Plastic stock but shoots really well out of the box and very good American workmanship. For the price a hard to beat deal. Off the thread a bit but don't despair, there is still some good off the shelf workmanship being done by some manufacturers.

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #171822 - 21/11/10 05:50 PM

Quote:

I'd be real interested for you to have a look at mine, Chris, and see if it is similar or different to yours. As I said, I really don't know what to look for, but I am very happy with mine.

Thanks Ben. Maybe I am being a bit negative. But compared to previous No1's it is not a patch. The lever is loose and rattly when closed, but floppy when open (there is a detent there somewhere which should hold it firmly open, mine doesn't very well). Guess I am just disappointed in the quality.

I will get it worked over and the safety done at the same time. Looking forward to seeing yours when Alex is finished with it.

Any more hunt reports? I was going to take mine goat shooting recently, but took the 260 Kimber instead. Had fun and got some , some eaters too. But I did regret not taking the No1! Could have shot two or three at a time with the 400gn pills. They were that close - mob of about 50 at about 40yds. Started to slowly wander off after I shot four!

Cheers, Chris

.300 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: Rockdoc]
      #174171 - 26/01/11 06:28 PM

I have had a Ruger No 1 Stainless laminated in 45-70 for about 5 months now and could not be happier. 350 grain woodleigh RN will go into 1 1/2" at 100 yards when I do my bit. It loves the hornady 300 grainers. The 300grns are coming out at 2450fps and the 350 at 2250 with ADI 2207. I have only taken a fox with it to date but it has performed well in group one calibre at the Big Game Rifle Club. Now that i have reached 60 I do not suffer scope penalty in comp. I have just mounted a Zeiss Conquest 2.5 to 8 on it. It is a very nice handy rifle. Several others I know of 405, 450-400 have the owners happy. Maybe a batch got past the quality control.

--------------------
The worst days shooting and hunting is better than the best day at work

Con
.333 member

Reged: 24/05/04
Loc: Victoria
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: 450]
      #174218 - 27/01/11 10:10 AM

Ruger QC on the No1 has been suspect for awhile. Some get good ones, others get poorer ones ... kind of like the wood lottery in whether you get something good or featureless. The safety is truly disappointing looking like a boat riding the ocean.

I cancelled my 303British order when they made over the originally intended 250 ... like RockDoc I'd rather find an older rifle and build it into something more worthy of being proud of.

That there's been a Ruger No1 303British on Used Guns for quite awhile speaks volumes of how niche a market they are ... shame Ruger couldn't supply them when the interest was higher.
Cheers...
Con

Oldbrit
.333 member

Reged: 04/04/10
Loc: UK
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: Con]
      #181741 - 16/05/11 09:42 PM

In the latest issue of NZ Guns & Hunting there is a write-up of the Ruger No. 1 in 303 British. The best groups (?) that the author could get with factory ammunition were 4 to 5 inches. He tried bullet weights between 150 and 180 grains.

Then he writes:

"At home I pulled out the reloading gear and decided to make up some handloads using a long 180 grain Speer Hot Cor round nose bullet. I tested how far I could seat a bullet out in a case, and discovered that I couldn't find the rifling no matter how far out I seated it. It seems that Ruger has made the rifle with a very long freebore or throat. Possibly they expected everyone to shoot it with Woodleigh 215 grain bullets or maybe cast their own. This alone may have had something to do with the issues I'd been having at the range. In the end I seated the bullets out as far as I could without it being ridiculous.

This resulted in a very pleasant chance to the rifle's perfor­mance. Shooting the rifle in easily, I then fired a nice three-shot 1.5 inch group at 100 metres with the 180 grain Speer bullets and 41.0 grains of AR2208 (Varget in US manuals).

Taking the time to let the barrel cool between shots, what some people call a cold bore group, I slow-fired five measured rounds that went into 1.3 inches. This is more than satisfactory accuracy for a hunting rifle. Chronographing the load I found it was going 2340 fps average. It seems that correct projectile choice and bullet seating depth are the key to the No. 1 's accuracy."

I think I read somewhere that Ruger made this rifle with a .308" bore and I suspect they've chambered it with a lot of freebore to keep the pressure down. In other words they've bodged it.

Pity because I'd rather got my heart set on one until now.

portdivers
.224 member

Reged: 28/10/09
Loc: Vic. Australia
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: Oldbrit]
      #181743 - 16/05/11 11:44 PM

I just picked up my sixth Ruger No.1 in .375 H&H tropical, haven't fired it yet but overall it looks ok, not bad woodwork either. Comparing it to my .458 WM made in 1974 the comparisons are striking.

I have others in 7 x 57 restocked in Brazillian walnut, and others factory stocked in 400 Jeffrey, 45.70 and 220 Swift AI.

One fella I know bought a .303 most impressed with the accuracy. For what you pay new for the No.1's and you like them, I reckon if you need to spend a little bit more if necessary, then it's worth it.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: portdivers]
      #181773 - 17/05/11 07:11 AM

Does anybody know if the Ruger is available in the U.S. in .303? I might pounce if so.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Ben
.400 member

Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: CptCurl]
      #181774 - 17/05/11 07:31 AM

They are good value. I'm waiting on one in .300H&H to arrive in my local gunshop. It'll be my first flat-shooting, scope-wearing rifle.

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #181860 - 18/05/11 11:34 AM

Quote:

Does anybody know if the Ruger is available in the U.S. in .303? I might pounce if so.

Curl

Hi Roscoe

They have been here in Canada for a while so I would think so.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: AdamTayler]
      #181864 - 18/05/11 12:21 PM

Curl,
I just bought one on "GunsAmerica.com" , I think there are still a couple of listings for sale. Mine shoots fine , I am thinking of sending it to Doug Turnbull . He will case color , and rust blue the metal and refinish stock for $995.00 (trust me they need it). That would make a neat little single shot !!!! Also need to "work over" the safety.
Hope that helps,
Robert

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #181866 - 18/05/11 12:35 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Just searched GunBroker and found a bunch listed.

Adam, good to hear from you. Long time. How have you been?

Best,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#181897 - 18/05/11 08:56 PM

Does anybody know for certain the groove diameter of the Ruger barrels? Also, has anybody done a chamber cast to determine free-bore?

What choice for a scope on this rifle?

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #182034 - 20/05/11 12:01 PM

Quote:

Adam, good to hear from you. Long time. How have you been?

Best,
Curl

All is well. I sent you a pm.

You may want to look over this thread http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511971

Adam

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

.300 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: AdamTayler]
      #184920 - 30/06/11 06:53 PM

I bought my Ruger No#1 in 303 British home today and had a good look at it. The workmanship is quite good. The lever is not loose when it is open like my 45-70. A beautiful light rifle. There in lies the problem, my rifle is blued and the supplied scope rings are High rings in stainless steel. I tried them on the rifle and the 3.5-10 weaver is so high it is hard to look through and they look terrible. Sent and email off to Ruger. I then loaded up a dummy round with 180 lightly seated Sierra in the case and pushed it into the chamber. Max Overall loaded length to the lands is 3.157 thou. There is a lot of bullet sticking out of the case with the projectile seated about 2/3rds of they way down the neck. This will not be a problem in a single shot like the ruger. Can't wait to shoot it.

Wayne

--------------------
The worst days shooting and hunting is better than the best day at work

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 61713

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com