Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: LT Cap projectiles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
Re: LT Cap projectiles [Re: rigbymauser]
      #170057 - 23/10/10 05:30 AM

Quote:

I wonder if they could be made in aluminum, and just have a solid head without upsetting the regulation too much ?. The aluminumheads could ofcouse have a hole drilled from the base to take even more weight from them.
The perfect head would ofcouse the make them in the alloys they originally were swaged in.

Holland did use aluminum for their caps but they were hollow also to achieve the proper weight. Wood was also tried and those caps were solid.
It will be interesting to see, going forward, how Westley will solve the manufacturing problems of this projectile. Will they copy per exact detail the original or cut corners and use modern materials but maintain weight and overall configuration. They may conceive a totally different but similar projectile. I am sure they won't need to use the extra "accelerant" used by LT and copied by Holland to get the velocity/pressure right.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: LT Cap projectiles [Re: CommandCar]
      #170059 - 23/10/10 06:23 AM

When is SCI Reno General ?, best, Mike

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: LT Cap projectiles [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #170064 - 23/10/10 07:21 AM

Quote:

When is SCI Reno General ?, best, Mike

January 26-29

See the link below for more information. If you haven't been its something every hunter needs to experience at least once. Lots of fine guns and great outfitters to book exotic hunts all over the world.

www.showsci.com

Exhibitors list:

www.showsci.com/content/index.cfm?action=view&content_id=1703

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: LT Cap projectiles [Re: ]
      #170080 - 23/10/10 06:27 PM

Where´s the place to stay ? best, Mike

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
      #170087 - 24/10/10 12:19 AM

As Gatsby mentioned; the use of nodern materials. Just as a matter of principal I hope that they don't, But isn't there a possibility that they could use a polycarb tip? It would certainly be cost effective.

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: LT Cap projectiles [Re: Tom_H]
      #170091 - 24/10/10 03:15 AM

The nose-cone of that LT bullet isn't very difficult to manufacture, about the same as a typical sweater or cape button. With the right machine and tooling they can be spit out by the thousands.
They would be quite 'classy' in brass alloy.

I found that cutaway image while on the chase of the perfect load configuration for my 16-bore rifles.
I've used that stepped-bore feature (done in the photo by way of cardboard) a handful of different ways.
Works for me, and I can see why WR did it with that particular load.

On the SCI convention, I've never been to one.
My ranch is near the convention center, and I'd definitely consider showing up for the sake of meeting some of y'all.
Is an SCI membership plus cost of entry the only way in?
What exactly is the cost of entry? The linked website doesn't seem to address the price of tickets to the event.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

CommandCar
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/10
Loc: East Coast, USA
Re: LT Cap projectiles [Re: tinker]
      #170097 - 24/10/10 04:04 AM

Quote:

The nose-cone of that LT bullet isn't very difficult to manufacture, about the same as a typical sweater or cape button. With the right machine and tooling they can be spit out by the thousands.

Cheers
Tinker

Tinker,

Evidence suggests the nose-cones were spun. Normally this is done over a mandrel, I think in this case they used an concave recess cut to the outside dimensions of the finished cap? The tool would push the sheet brass disk into this form die in such a way that the cap was conformed to the inside of the die. A rabit was then cut into inside of the base of the cone to thin the brass and create a depth control to recieve the top-hat brass base. Some sort of ejection system would push out the finished cap?

The top-hat brass base was stamped out. This was inserted into the rabit on the cone and the base of the cone was then rolled over (crimped) the top-hat, locking it in place. At this point, or somewhere else along the way the nose-cap was annealed, probabally to a dead-soft condition. The lead cup was then swedged over the top-hat? In disection of original LT capped bullets, it seems there was some sort of spotty bond (cold) between the lead and the brass alloy front.

Original performance claimed by Westley Richards IMO is highly suspect. I say this b/c with modern game laws, the slug gun is necessary in many regions. If the LT's viable at 2-300 yard it seems someone would be punching out something similar in the correct diameter to run thru the plethora of rifled slug guns out there today. I know of no-one claiming even 200 yard slugs for deer size game.

gatsby
.375 member

#170100 - 24/10/10 04:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Cheers
Tinker

Tinker,

Evidence suggests the nose-cones were spun. Normally this is done over a mandrel, I think in this case they used an concave recess cut to the outside dimensions of the finished cap? The tool would push the sheet brass disk into this form die in such a way that the cap was conformed to the inside of the die. A rabit was then cut into inside of the base of the cone to thin the brass and create a depth control to recieve the top-hat brass base. Some sort of ejection system would push out the finished cap?

The top-hat brass base was stamped out. This was inserted into the rabit on the cone and the base of the cone was then rolled over (crimped) the top-hat, locking it in place. At this point, or somewhere else along the way the nose-cap was annealed, probabally to a dead-soft condition. The lead cup was then swedged over the top-hat? In disection of original LT capped bullets, it seems there was some sort of spotty bond (cold) between the lead and the brass alloy front.

I always picture some old machine or press pushed back into a corner of a warehouse or basement in England and about every two or three years some guy saying " That old thing? I don't really know, I think it makes some sort of widgit or some such thing. Should just throw it out."

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #170101 - 24/10/10 05:06 AM

Quote:

Original performance claimed by Westley Richards IMO is highly suspect. I say this b/c with modern game laws, the slug gun is necessary in many regions. If the LT's viable at 2-300 yard it seems someone would be punching out something similar in the correct diameter to run thru the plethora of rifled slug guns out there today. I know of no-one claiming even 200 yard slugs for deer size game.

I wonder what the trajectory looks like for the WR magnum explora @ 300yards. My guess it would require a miracel to hit anything beyond 200 yards in unknown terrain .

gatsby
.375 member

#170103 - 24/10/10 05:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I am surprised you have come to that conclusion since you now shoot your gun at 100yds with an aerodynamically inefficient slug. 200yds isn't that hard to believe, at all, over open sites and 1500fps. Handgun silhouette is shot to 200yds over open sites at similar velocities. 300 yds is certainly a challenge for both gun and shooter.
Why create such a projectile and system to launch it if there was no real performance improvement to be gained?
Holland certainly spent a lot of time and effort after 1904 to try and equal the Westley rifled choke systems.

--------------------

gatsby
.375 member

Re: LT Cap projectiles [Re: rigbymauser]
      #170106 - 24/10/10 05:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder what the trajectory looks like for the WR magnum explora @ 300yards. My guess it would require a miracel to hit anything beyond 200 yards in unknown terrain .

The initial concept of the rifled choke or paradox gun was versatility. Leslie Taylor's capped bullets gave the user the ability/possibility to hit targets beyond 150yds. Taking risky shots and leaving wounded game was not unusual in the times these guns were used. Would a 400/350NE be any easier to use for 300yds open site shots? The difficulty is in judging distance.

--------------------

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: LT Cap projectiles [Re: gatsby]
      #170112 - 24/10/10 05:49 AM

Just finished the Paradox book, Vol 1 and no one in it seriously entertains shots past 125 yards, pref under 100, Holland, Westley et al, best, Mike

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #170114 - 24/10/10 05:57 AM

Quote:

Just finished the Paradox book, Vol 1 and no one in it seriously entertains shots past 125 yards, pref under 100, Holland, Westley et al, best, Mike

Me too have also finished the book.

As H&H stated the paradox was made for jobs under 100 yards, and were not to compete with their .577Express.

Looking foreward to the last volume .

gatsby
.375 member

#170125 - 24/10/10 07:12 AM

That is Holland's perspective on the paradox but not Westley's. Their guns were marketed to shoot further and hit harder. There is an abundance of material from "the day" to indicate this. The rifled choke gun is not a long range weapon. It is a gun of versatility and opportunity. Any advancement that increases the versatility increases the opportunity as well.

The proof will be in the pudding when the capped bullets or a reasonable facsimiles are available.
Just a couple of years ago the original velocities were unattainable at reasonable pressures. That has been overcome. I am sure that a capped like projectile is not far off.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (25/10/10 11:11 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #170130 - 24/10/10 07:39 AM

Does anyone know the weight of the original "Capped Expora" bullets, in 20 and 12 bore?

I can see Holland's thinking on this 100 yard business, however feel that the longer 'shank' of the WR bullet, carrying more weight could easily give longer range.

200yards and 300 yards are not difficult for someone who actually shoots outdoors with iron sights, even if mere round balls are used. The pointy bullet with slightly higher BC will flaten trjectories and make hitting at longer ranges easier.

Most people, who practise very little, should limit shooting with open sights to 150yards or less - the answer is to get out more and learn the gun over various ranges, various shooting positions.

Gravel pits are one of the best places for this - unknown-range shooting. Their banks usually have whitish rocks that made good targets and the impacts are readily seen form the shooter's position, especially if one of the blokes out for the day has bioculars.

Laser range finders have a deginite place in a shooter's coat pocket. They are quite inexpensive today and can quickly check guessed-at ranges so that range estimation is quickly learned within the parameters of one's gun. With practise, one's confidence grows in relation to the actual 'range' of the gun.

Of course, serious load development is required to allow longer than point blank range shooting.

All of this, in my opinion, of course.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gatsby
.375 member

Re: LT Cap projectiles [Re: DarylS]
      #170131 - 24/10/10 08:04 AM

Daryl,
The weight of the 12 bore explora bullet is 730gr, a little lighter than a standard paradox slug.
The brass cap weighs just 180grs and protrudes into the base. The base weighing 550grs.

--------------------

tinkerModerator
.416 member

#170132 - 24/10/10 09:48 AM

I'd like to see the evidence, and I very much doubt that they were made on a spinning lathe.
There's plenty of room for me to adjust my perspective on this, and I've spent most of my life running metalworking machines and tooling - modern and antique.

Quote:

Quote:

Cheers
Tinker

Tinker,

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

CommandCar
.333 member

#170138 - 24/10/10 12:21 PM

Tinker,

Let me restate that. I was told, by THE guy who makes LT copies, that the cone was spun. In looking at sectioned caps, and knowing how a cymbal is made, seems logical to me. The original LT caps to tend to have concentric lines like something was revolving during the manufacturing process. My friend a machinist likes to turn the cones out of bar stock. Just does not seem right to me. If they were lathe turned from bar stock, I would expect an even wall thickness for the entire cone, yet the originals tend to have thinner noses.

PM me with your information and I will send you an original Super Mag Explora round to dissect.

Thanks for the response, am not a machinist, so how exactly would you do it?

Boy you can really hash out things by throwing out a couple of bold statements....
Fun and you learn stuff too.

Quote:

I'd like to see the evidence, and I very much doubt that they were made on a spinning lathe.
There's plenty of room for me to adjust my perspective on this, and I've spent most of my life running metalworking machines and tooling - modern and antique.
Quote:

Edited by CommandCar (24/10/10 12:42 PM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #170139 - 24/10/10 12:25 PM

In the immortal words of the banned N___hunter...

"It looks like a dickhead!!!"

Stating the obvious was never done so well!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

gatsby
.375 member

#170140 - 24/10/10 12:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would expect an even wall thickness for the entire cone, yet the originals tend to have thinner noses.

That was intentional so the nose turns in on itself on impact.

--------------------

CommandCar
.333 member

#170141 - 24/10/10 12:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would expect an even wall thickness for the entire cone, yet the originals tend to have thinner noses.

That was intentional so the nose turns in on itself on impact.

Could you please footnote that fact with the source of the information? Thx

CommandCar
.333 member

WR LT-Capped [Re: gatsby]
      #170144 - 24/10/10 01:22 PM

Gatsby,

I think you are missing my point, if you are saying the LT must be launched from a paradox/explora choked gun, then fine. BUT if you are saying the LT projectile can be launched with a 1:30"ish twist and hit at 300 yards with enough retained velocity and energy to effectively kill game, I'm sorry, but just not with you. Again, here is my reasoning, 1. game laws promote bore slug hunting. 2. we have scopes now, not just with crosshairs, but all kinds of deluxe ballistic calculators and even built in rangefinders. 3. any ammunition mfg. who comes up with a 300 yrd accurate slug gets all the business-period!

Are the manufacturers that dumb? I know they promote stupid products all the time, but are they too stupid to explore something that has been around for 105 years? Maybe, but how much $$ are you willing to wager on that?

There are two things I can think of that would reassure me that the LT's are the real deal.
1. give me some to test.
2. tell me they cost 8-10X more to make than say a brenneke.

Yes my Evans works at 100yrds, but I pull out my scoped Browning BPS with Hastings rifled bbl every year, fire a single Brenneke gold thru the "X" at 100 yrds, and go hunting. In this case, the modern can duplicate (better) the antique...

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am surprised you have come to that conclusion since you now shoot your gun at 100yds with an aerodynamically inefficient slug. 200yds isn't that hard to believe, at all, over open sites and 1500fps. Handgun silhouette is shot to 200yds over open sites at similar velocities. 300 yds is certainly a challenge for both gun and shooter.
Why create such a projectile and system to launch it if there was no real performance improvement to be gained?
Holland certainly spent a lot of time and effort after 1904 to try and equal the Westley rifled choke systems.

tinkerModerator
.416 member

#170148 - 24/10/10 03:35 PM

CC-

Thanks for the note on those LT caps.
I hear you on the annular ring tooling marks, and I'd very much like to see one of these in-the-hand.

From a manufacturing standpoint, and from the cross-section photos I've seen -- my first and enduring sense has been that the conical portion was die-sunk.
The alloy figures that are noted above suggest a more ductile stock for the cones with the greater lead content, which would facilitate the deep plunge.
The nose looks thin, suggesting the stretch of the material...

I'll ping you with a note and follow up with you off-list on the generous offer -- Thanks!

Quote:

Tinker,

Let me restate that. I was told, by THE guy who makes LT copies, that the cone was spun. In looking at sectioned caps, and knowing how a cymbal is made, seems logical to me. The original LT caps to tend to have concentric lines like something was revolving during the manufacturing process. My friend a machinist likes to turn the cones out of bar stock. Just does not seem right to me. If they were lathe turned from bar stock, I would expect an even wall thickness for the entire cone, yet the originals tend to have thinner noses.

PM me with your information and I will send you an original Super Mag Explora round to dissect.

Thanks for the response, am not a machinist, so how exactly would you do it?

Boy you can really hash out things by throwing out a couple of bold statements....
Fun and you learn stuff too.

Quote:

Quote:

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

#170164 - 24/10/10 06:34 PM

Command, I´ll have to agree with you, if it were possible to get accurate slugs at 200+ yards there are loads of companies who would be making them and cleaning up as you say. Have a look at the book "Shotgunning for Deer" by Dave Henderson. Now he is talking about fully rifled shotguns, scoped etc etc, state of the art and he shows some amazing groups from the various high tech slugs (sabots etc) but he says and I quote

"Shotguns and slugs are short range ordnance, regardless of what you´ve read. Modern high velocity shotguns are effective, under the right conditions, with the right shooter, out to 125 yards. An expert might stretch it to 150 or 160 under the right conditions but once you get much beyond 125, luck has more inflence on the results than do ballistics"

A 10mph crosswind moves the average shotgun slug 8" at 100 yds !!

Just my opinion but I think anyone buying a double whether it be a paradox, a Faunetta or whatever with iron sights and taking shots much over 100 yds at stuff with four legs is going to be, a) disappointed and, b)not very sporting.

Just my opinion chaps and worth what you paid for it
best
Mike

gatsby
.375 member

Re: WR LT-Capped [Re: CommandCar]
      #170170 - 24/10/10 08:03 PM

Quote:

Gatsby,

I think you are missing my point, if you are saying the LT must be launched from a paradox/explora choked gun, then fine. BUT if you are saying the LT projectile can be launched with a 1:30"ish twist and hit at 300 yards with enough retained velocity and energy to effectively kill game, I'm sorry, but just not with you. Again, here is my reasoning, 1. game laws promote bore slug hunting. 2. we have scopes now, not just with crosshairs, but all kinds of deluxe ballistic calculators and even built in rangefinders. 3. any ammunition mfg. who comes up with a 300 yrd accurate slug gets all the business-period!

Are the manufacturers that dumb? I know they promote stupid products all the time, but are they too stupid to explore something that has been around for 105 years? Maybe, but how much $$ are you willing to wager on that?

There are two things I can think of that would reassure me that the LT's are the real deal.
1. give me some to test.
2. tell me they cost 8-10X more to make than say a brenneke.

Yes my Evans works at 100yrds, but I pull out my scoped Browning BPS with Hastings rifled bbl every year, fire a single Brenneke gold thru the "X" at 100 yrds, and go hunting. In this case, the modern can duplicate (better) the antique...

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I believe the Westley ( and other) literature from the time period. Just a couple of years back many thought the velocities advertised for the Super Magnum were inflated. We have found a way to reproduce them. I don't have a bc for the LT capped bullet but running several models on my ballistic program would indicate the energy at 300yds to be between 800 to 1100ftlbs (as much or more than a .44mag at 50yds). What .735 slug weighing 730gr with a pointed tip traveling at 1500fps is made today? The LT capped bullet extended the range of the paradox style gun which seemed to be limited from 100 to 150yds. Westley stated the ultimate limit for their guns and ammunition was 300yds, puffing or fact?
I would just about guarantee the capped bullets to cost many more times than a slug.
As to testing; I do have a small collection of LT bullets and also 2 pristine Westley Super Mags.
If you are willing to reimburse me the cost of the LT's, I'll send some downrange.
If we buy into your comparison between the Evans and the BPS then no one should ever buy a double rifle as a scoped bolt gun will always be more accurate.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 20995

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com