Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Take down rifles, some help.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
vegard_dino
.333 member

Reged: 05/03/09
Loc: From Norway, but living in Swi...
Take down rifles, some help.
      #169736 - 17/10/10 06:28 AM

Hello

Take down rifles are a great thing. And in the pre WWII time they was made and used a lot. Great for traveling then to, as today.

But, what systems/styles was the take down made on? What system was the "best"

I do seek a old take down, and hope some can help me out.

Also, the full stocked rifles, was they ever made as a take down to?

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Take down rifles, some help. [Re: vegard_dino]
      #169739 - 17/10/10 08:59 AM

Like This:

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

Edited by CptCurl (17/10/10 10:40 PM)

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #169740 - 17/10/10 08:59 AM

I think there are three basic "takedown" designs.

The first is the system used on break-open guns like double rifles and single shots based on a similar break-open design. The barrels of these guns are easily removed for storage and transport. My guess is that these are not the type of firearms you are speaking of.

The second group is one where the barrel can be removed from the action by rotating, unscrewing, or through the use of some sort of lever. Usually these designs remove the barrel and forend as a unit, but not always. Unless the system has some way to be adjusted for tightness, most of these systems will loosen after heavy usage. The most prone are probably the systems that use interrupted threads. This is where the threads of the barrel have been cut away in two or more areas and similar cuts have been made in the front of the action. To remove these barrels some sort of locking mechanism is released then the barrel is twisted and slid out of the action. To replace, the barrel is slid into the action, given a twist, and then locked to prevent accidental rotation.

Systems that allow the barrel to be unscrewed are similar but the threads of these are not interrupted. With these systems the barrel, and usually the forend with it, is unscrewed several turns before it comes free from the action. The screw type of barrel take-down system also requires some sort of mechanism to keep it from turning while in use.

There are a few modern systems that do not use the screwing and unscrewing of the barrel threads to accomplish the task. Instead they use some sort of linkage or lever to lock and hold the barrel in place. These are not prone to the same type of wear as rifles that depend upon barrel threads for attachment. I believe most of these guns are of Germanic or European design although the picture below is of an old Westley-Richards.

And the Mauser 03:

The third takedown design is my favorite. It allows the barrel and action to be removed from the stock as one unit. I am most familiar with this design. I have had mauser and mannlicher based rifles that used this design. Some of the advantages to this design are that the stock remains a single piece, the barrels remain firmly connected to the action, and the action is easily removed from the stock for cleaning and maintenance. The rear of the tang has a small projection that slips under a corresponding lip on the stock. A screw at the fron of the magazine is unscrewed and the barrel rotated up and out of the action. To replace, the tang is slid under the piece on the stock, rotated down into place, and the magazine screw tightened. The screw is slightly over sized so a coin can be used to turn it. Holland & Holland still offers this as an option on their magazine rifles.

An example of Holland & Holland's takedown system is shown below. A variation of the design is shown at the bottom.

Edited by CptCurl (17/10/10 10:43 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Take down rifles, some help. [Re: Grenadier]
      #169754 - 17/10/10 04:05 PM

Quote:

There are a few modern systems that do not use the screwing and unscrewing of the barrel threads to accomplish the task. Instead they use some sort of linkage or lever to lock and hold the barrel in place. These are not prone to the same type of wear as rifles that depend upon barrel threads for attachment. I believe most of these guns are of Germanic or European design ...

And the Mauser 03:

These systems involve the bolt locking up in the barrel rather than the receiver/action eg Mauser, Sauer, Dakota.

Some of the designs allow switch barrels.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by CptCurl (17/10/10 10:43 PM)

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Take down rifles, some help. [Re: NitroX]
      #169756 - 17/10/10 04:58 PM

One more, a Chapuis "Challenger"

Edited by CptCurl (17/10/10 10:44 PM)

vegard_dino
.333 member

Re: Take down rifles, some help. [Re: Grenadier]
      #169763 - 17/10/10 08:12 PM

Thanks for great information.
Did not know it was so may systems for takedown.

But, the more I read, the more I have to ask....LOL.

The more modern system that do not turn, unscrew the barrel, but uses a lever to lock the barrel. When was it introduced? By who?
Is that also a system that will work good in calibers from 9.3 and up? Thinking of a 10.75* mauser made with a take down system.

Or, is the system that takes out the action and barrel as one part the best, when it comes to solid, keeping the precession.

Rifles with these systems are very interesting. To some, that system is new, a shame. Thinking of the engineering that made it, 100 years ago.
That is also why I like to have one.A old mause or a manlic in a old caliber with the takedown system.

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #169768 - 17/10/10 10:46 PM

I'm sorry, but you people have it all wrong. This is a proper takedown system:

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

vegard_dino
.333 member

Re: Take down rifles, some help. [Re: CptCurl]
      #169773 - 17/10/10 11:48 PM

Nice

LOL
Thanks for sharing

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
      #169789 - 18/10/10 06:25 AM

A little off the track, please for give, but a Model 88 (been there done that, when the 88 first came out, if I remember it's a remove one bolt operation) and or 100 is a perfect candidate for an H&H style take-down, if your are into lever / auto actions this is. I have also ran across a pic on the net someplace where a 98 came out of the stock, bottom metal still attached and intact, sort of like the Win. 88. Maybe someone will remeber. FWIW --- John303.

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Take down rifles, some help. [Re: John303]
      #169790 - 18/10/10 07:01 AM

Mister Curl:

Doublerifles over-rules.

Thanks for reminding

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6997

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com