Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 8mm magnum reloads

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
blackbearhunter
.333 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: swamp
8mm magnum reloads
      #16875 - 19/07/04 07:47 AM

What are the lightest and heaviest 8mm magnum bullets?Can 150 grain bullets or smaller be used?Are the 185gr. bullets ok for medium game or the 220gr.better?Anyone have a favorite load for the 8mm magnum for deer&Hogs?Varmints?Anyone ever shoot or reload 8mm magnum?Any recommendations for bullets,Powder?Good source for brass?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: 8mm magnum reloads [Re: blackbearhunter]
      #16886 - 19/07/04 01:07 PM

Why would you want to load a 150 grn on 8mm? SD must be low?

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #16889 - 19/07/04 01:27 PM

The 150 gr bullets would have been designed for the 8x57mm and much lower velocities. They will be fragile at 8x68S or 8mm Rem Mag velocities.

I haven't handloaded for one but have shot a mates 8x68S. I would choose a bullet like a 200 gr Nosler Partition or Barnes X in a similar weight.

It depends on what you want to shoot. ???

I would give a 185 gr Core-lokt a try on pigs and medium sized deer but prefer Nosler or Barnes X. The 150 grainers would work well enough on varmints.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: 8mm magnum reloads [Re: NitroX]
      #17652 - 07/08/04 12:33 AM

Anyone try the 250gr.RN woodleigh bullets?Where would I get powder load info for the 8mm magnum with woodleighs?Would the 250gr. really make the 8mm all it can be for large knockdown power on big game?Should put it on par with the 250gr. 338win.mag?What couldnt it be used for in that loading?Would the swift A-frame remington safari be just as good in performance on heavy game such as moose,elk,bear,hog?

Safarischorsch
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/04
Re: 8mm magnum reloads [Re: NitroX]
      #17854 - 11/08/04 08:26 PM

Normally the common 8mm bullets are too soft for the 8x68S or the 8mm remmag but Nosler partition, RUAG CDP or this here!:

http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/8x68S.html

are not too soft for the magnums!

Even with the new light 8mmS bullet (9gramms) the velocity is just about 1100 m/sec!!! And the penetration ist still very high!

Edited by Safarischorsch (11/08/04 08:28 PM)

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: 8mm magnum reloads [Re: Safarischorsch]
      #17946 - 13/08/04 08:13 PM

What about the old german military 8mm mauser round?Does it lack penetration on big game?I always thought it was sorta in the ball park with the 303 british,7x57&308&300savage?Is the old 8mm round a good one for Boar & deer?I never had any experiance with it but keep an eye out at the gun shows & shops,dont see many so i just guess everyone keeps them when they get em.Did the germans load the 8mm with a 180gr.bullet?

Safarischorsch
.275 member

#18134 - 18/08/04 05:06 PM

You are right the old 8x57IS is still ok on deer and boar but for people who shoot at longer distances the 8x68S is the better choice, you know. Because there are much more guns in europe in 8x57IS this bullets are often used for the 8x68S and that is a problem because they are too soft.

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #18167 - 19/08/04 06:01 AM

Safari, if I read your previous post correctly, the 9 gram bullet weight seems awfully light for the 8mm, doesn't it? That translates to around 139 grains, much lower than the 185-220 grain standard for the 8mm bore. 139 grains is light even for the 7mm.

Sectional density would have to be in the low, low .2's or less. Can you confirm that?

Safarischorsch
.275 member

Re: 8mm magnum reloads [Re: DPhillips]
      #18185 - 19/08/04 05:11 PM

The sctional density is not too less because it it a copper bullet that nearly looses no mass, when it hits the target! An because of the "rings" around it it can be loaded very fast with normal pressure!

blackbearhunter
.333 member

#18302 - 22/08/04 01:10 AM

Just for fun,could we shoot a bullet into a bunch of water filled milk jugs and see what kind of bullet blow up we get?Would a wet phone book be just as good?Is this a good test for bullet performance?Should a test like this be performed at different yardages?Do we want the bullet to mushroom and stay intact or blow up and penetrate so much and expend all the energy inside the game?I know some wounds look like a grenade went off inside....
How many water jugs would be great penetation?What would be unexceptable?What is a good test on live game,besides instant kill?I have seen bullets blow up & not shoot all the way through game that absolutely stopped them in there tracks,especially the Hornady interlock 30cal.165grain/bt.Does hitting a rib bone or shoulder bone cause shrapnal effect and more severe wounds always?Or can a shoulder bone catch a bullet and the animal is lost?Is this where the big bores & big heavy bullets really shine on Big game vs ultra speed small caliber rounds?Fail safe type premium bullets are worth there salt when things go south?Hunting season is right around the corner and iam starting to get the itch.....Think I will go with the A-frames this year!!!!

Safarischorsch
.275 member

#18382 - 24/08/04 02:41 AM

"Or can a shoulder bone catch a bullet and the animal is lost?"

Yes it can be!
I shot at 50 yards with my 300Winmag on the shoulder of an Eland with 180gr Brenneke TUG. It "failed" the shoulder was not!!!! broken!! There was just a big wounding in the meat and the Eland started to run. When i shot him the second shot from the front in the chest it dropped in its tracks...
We found the bullet from the first shot absolutely flat...

blackbearhunter
.333 member

#18572 - 29/08/04 01:44 AM

Is there much differance in the 8mm magnum and the 300 magnums?If you could pick just one,which one would you choose for close range hunting or long range snipeing?Would the 200 or 220Gr. be the best pill?
Seems like core loks are the most found cheapest ammo for these rounds,would a premium bullet be worth the expense on game like deer or would a regular core-lok or hornady zip right on thru one just the same?I can see bullet performance slipping on heavy game like elk,moose,bear,But do deer fall in a smaller catagory ?I mean,looks like a heavy bullet from a standard bullet would do the same or more damage/penetration as a lighter weight premium from a lesser caliber like a 270 or 257?Is this right?Always shoot premium bullets when hunting and you cant go wrong? Can a premium bullet fail to expand or penetrate except the fail safes ?Can a fail safe fail? I know the 8mm magnum sure is limited as to factory ammo.........What about the other 8mm s .Are they a handloaders friend also for greater ammo seekers?Iam a newbie to the 8mm clan, but I like the 8mm rounds and look forward to testing them in the field! Will report later to Nitro.express brothers on my results.Also anyone else have results this upcoming hunting season let us know how your 8mm faired! Good Luck,Get a biggen ,have fun and be safe out there!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2591

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com