Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Got a 450/400, then I need your help.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/03
Loc: United Kingdom
Got a 450/400, then I need your help.
      #16037 - 21/06/04 06:02 AM

Gentlemen, I need your help and advice.

As you may be aware, here in the UK we require authorisation to hunt whatever it is we want to hunt, with whatever it is we want to hunt it with. For example I have authorisation to hunt deer and foxes with my 30-06 and also a .375 H&H for deer only, wherever I have permission to hunt. The problem I have is that I would like to hunt deer with my 450/400 3” double.

I have been advised by the licensing authorities it is unsuitable and the reason being at the last call was the amount of carcass damage it would cause to any deer hit.

I know before every one states the obvious about relatively large heavy slowly expanding 400grn Woodleighs at relatively low velocities, but I need some first hand reports, opinions and experiences I can pass on to the authorities.

Any other opinions in relation to suitability or indeed unsuitability would be most welcome.

If possible it would be very helpful if I could pass on contact details to the authorities, email would be great.

My particular licensing authority are actually ok and have been very helpful over the years so I thought it worth doing a little research and if I can pass on a few references and first hand experiences it may just tip the scales, we shall see.

My regards and thanks in advance.

Phil

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
510Wells
.275 member

Reged: 16/11/03
Loc: Gold Bar, Wa.
Re: Got a 450/400, then I need your help. [Re: Phil_in_the_UK]
      #16039 - 21/06/04 07:16 AM

Phil,

I don't have that caliber but have seen several people over at accuratereloading discussing deer hunting with large doubles.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

There are lots of posts and knowledgeable people there that I'm sure would be willing to help :-)

Hope that helps.

Roi

--------------------
The only constant is change.

Member DRSS

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #16040 - 21/06/04 08:33 AM

Phil,
Maybe contact Kynoch or Woodleigh and tell them the problem like you have here and I am sure they could supply a letter with lots of technical details on why your calibre is suitable for Deer in UK.
RLI

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Got a 450/400, then I need your help. [Re: RLI]
      #16075 - 22/06/04 01:42 AM

Such nonsence laws made by unknowledgable people...The 450-400 will simply bore a hole in a deer size animal with very little bruising of meat, much less than say a 243, 270 or any high velocity caliber..You can, in fact, in most cases eat right up to the hole..I have shot perhaps 50 to 100 African plainsgame animals with the 450-400s, using woodleigh 400 gr. soft points and GS flat nose solids....

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #16122 - 23/06/04 10:49 AM

Not exactly deer sized game, however this is a recovered Woodleigh 400 Grain .408 from my Hollis. the bullet was recovered from an Eland cow. She was shot front on in the chest. that bullet was recovered in the chest cavity. the second bullet shot through the chest side was not recovered.

After seeing several feral hogs and deer taken with nitro express calibers, I am of the opine that a lot less meat is damaged by our doubles than your high velocity '06.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2399

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com