Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust
      #154009 - 17/02/10 02:14 PM

From another forum:

The word has it that the APMC (Aust Police Ministers Council) agenda for a meeting in Hobart includes proposals to ban pump action rifles and large calibers like .338 Lapua, .50 BMG and any heavy cal guns, not too sure what happens to sundry assorted pumpkin roller calibres like 45-70, plus all the old Express Rifles an Elephant guns etc.

I only have minimal info on this but it would seem the push is coming from WA & SA.

Reportedly it is NOT a rumour. The meeting was held yesterday or today.

(Sorry for posting this in the DR forum but it is an extremely important issue for us)

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Empire375
.300 member

Reged: 18/08/09
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust [Re: NitroX]
      #154017 - 17/02/10 02:59 PM

I ordered a Barrett 98 Bravo for this very reason. I'm told 338 Lapua is already banned in SA and it would be coming to Vic soon. I don't believe this has anything to do with the older calibers.
I was told from a knowing source (the badged variety) that it will be harder to get long range military calibers.
I think pump rifles are gone also.
I was advised to get in soon ...........

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust [Re: Empire375]
      #154018 - 17/02/10 03:06 PM

Good job for posting, John.

To all of you in OZ who might be inclined to "OK" the banning of some gun type you don't happen to use or like, just remember, it's only time before they get to yours.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Empire375
.300 member

Re: Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust [Re: 9.3x57]
      #154021 - 17/02/10 03:22 PM

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums//viewtopic.php?p=284682&sid=a3c99efd91e7e00be6ed24d2e50f9348

This may go some way towards some kind of "reasoning".
I have also applied for a permit to purchase a 50CAL rifle in Victoria. The only requirement I had from the police was a letter from the Military Rifle club saying what a nice fella I was and that they were happy for me to use it at their range (Eagle Park).
I may not make myself popular here but I will say that I can understand this. Both the 338 and 50 Cal frighten pilots (I'm one) and I guess that the ability to reach out to huge distances would appeal to the morons among us.

DGR375
.300 member

Reged: 04/10/07
Loc: Gold Coast, QLD
      #154029 - 17/02/10 04:41 PM

I must support you, Empire. It easy to understand the unease that certain Police forces have with certain calibres. That is why the SSAA must be proactive, and make sure the right sort of person is used to interact with the police.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #154030 - 17/02/10 04:55 PM

So have a lot of planes been shot up as they fly around over there?

Any of you guys wanting to get rid of your .50+ Cal Doubles just need to PM me.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Empire375
.300 member

Re: Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust [Re: mickey]
      #154031 - 17/02/10 05:24 PM

I fly out of Moorabbin and have seen two aircraft land with bullet holes that were not there when they departed! Both times they have been .22 however. It does prove to me however that there are "people" like that out there though.
I hope this dosnt happen - please dont get me wrong! I've ordered my own dont forget. Just being devils advocate is all.
It is interesting to note that both pilots were unaware that they had been shot at. I figured it would make some noise on impact but apparently not the case.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #154041 - 17/02/10 07:12 PM

Unless you are a terrorist what on earth sort of moron would shoot at a plane ??????? rgds, Mike

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#154105 - 18/02/10 09:37 AM

Quote:

So have a lot of planes been shot up as they fly around over there?

No!

Quote:

I fly out of Moorabbin and have seen two aircraft land with bullet holes that were not there when they departed! Both times they have been .22 however.

Obviously evidence of a .50 calibre ban being needed, all those .22 holes.

Quote:

It does prove to me however that there are "people" like that out there though.

It proves to me that there is too many immature morons with .22s and nothing about guys buying far more expensive .50 "sniper" target rifles.

Similar to someone saying lets ban samurai swords because imagine the damage someone could do with one, due to someone being stabbed with a apple peeling knife a couple of times.

"Imagine if some idiot like that got hold of a samurai sword! Ban them!"

--------------------
John aka NitroX

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #154120 - 18/02/10 12:06 PM

In the early '80's I was stationed at Holsworthy Army base (near Sydney Australia) and there were limited times/dates we could do live firing with our M2 .50 Brownings. The reason given was that richocets were a danger to civilian aircraft flying into and out of Kingsford Smith on certain flight paths.

No doubt the paper ballistics produced a danger and anecdotal gossip was that an incident, without fatality had occured in the past.

No doubt something like this will be used to justify the ban as well as the threat of divisive elements getting their hands on weapons capable of long range material disruption.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust [Re: tophet1]
      #154122 - 18/02/10 12:16 PM

I read somewhere that there was some sort of ban on machetes in Australia.

Is that true or BS?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #154126 - 18/02/10 01:14 PM

We have occasional problems with people, usually drunk kids, shinning lasers into cockpits of landing planes at SEA-TAC International Airport.

I haven't heard of anyone shooting at planes with high powered rifles around here. I used to here stories in Alaska of Guides popping a few at other guides flying two near them in their bush planes though.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#154127 - 18/02/10 01:32 PM

I have been informed that there is a real risk of this happening in SA.

ie targeting the .338 Lapua and similar cartridges/rifles.

This has been the case for a while.

BUT the new risk is calibres such as the .375 H&H Mag and above FACE REAL RISK OF BEING BANNED.

Whether this is just SA or National we will see.

I will report more when I am able to pass on information.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #154136 - 18/02/10 04:49 PM

Quote:

I will report more when I am able to pass on information.

That would be good John, thanks.
A bit of a worry this one.

Empire375
.300 member

Re: Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust [Re: 4seventy]
      #154141 - 18/02/10 05:27 PM

I called and talked to SSAA Vic today and they were not aware of anything changing. Doesn't mean its not happening I guess.
They did say there was some discussion regarding large calibers in WA but the fella I talked to said he thought that had all blown over and amounted to nothing.
The guys where I ordered my Barrett from said they had two come into the country last week and both had been registered without any complications.
I have been warned regarding lasers but have never encountered one whilst flying however other pilots claim they have been. The consensus is that it is mainly people wanting the airport banned. Apparently when you buy into a suburb that has an airport it should be moved if it is inconveniencing you.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #154159 - 19/02/10 12:11 AM

John,i believe you should drop the word sniper from your previous comments.
They are long range target rifles.
I have seen various calibres used by sniper teams that include:-223,22-250,243,6.5x55,303,308,30-06 and so the list goes on.
They are accurate rifles that certain personal have used for enemy or criminal control.

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Re: Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #154160 - 19/02/10 12:21 AM

On the subject of large calibre problems here in Western Australia,you want to believe it, we have a big problem,infact nothing to my knowledge over 7.62 x 51 or 308 is being approved .
There is currently a case going through the courts where a person was refused a license for a 470 double Heym .
It is listed for the supreme court in the near future.

THE PROBLEM IS VERY REAL,MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT.

I will inform you of the progress as it happens.

This particular case has been going on for nearly 2 years with a high profile barrister involved..
And that means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So maybe us Aussies should pass the hat around.

Al

--------------------

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #154162 - 19/02/10 12:46 AM

I will be extra sorry if they ban pump-action rifles. Those Browning and Remington pumps in the larger calibres make damned-good sambar rifles. A ban on large magazines would be understandable, perhaps.

If it comes to them being moved to the C category, hunters with established bona fides should be given access to help keep down the growing deer population.

I'm sorry, too, about the .470 business, Alan. That verges on crazy but then WA, a state possibly bigger than Texas and Alaska put together, has long had a strange attitude to guns. If only there was a bit more big game wandering around, they might have been more reasonable.

- Paul

9.3x57
.450 member

#154163 - 19/02/10 12:46 AM

We all believed you guys were screwed back when they confiscated guns a few years ago.

Do not sit back and wait for somebody else to do it.

Make friends with a legislator and start NOW working on legislation.

We sat on our asses and did nothing with the Endangered Species Act and it, exactly like your gun legislation, is destroying us, and will creep into every aspect of hunting.

Here, hunters in "unaffected" States sit back and act sophisticated, and wrinkle their foreheads at our problems here, or worse yet, support the government in its actions with wolves, etc, little knowing that the flood of ESA-inspired actions are coming their way, little by little.

Hunters and gunowners are some of the least politically sophisticated and biggest simpleton idiots on Planet Earth.

Some don't like bowhunting, or big rifle calibers, or this or that style of hunting {hounds, etc} and they throw rocks at each other, and all the while the enviro/anti-gun {yes, they ARE the same} movement smiles and keeps chugging along.

Divide And Conquer is alive and well, and jackasses among us are hee-hawing the hunting and gunowning public right into oblivion.

Ozzies, get involved!

Support your gun party, write legislation, take some of your gun money and give it to the cause, stand up in work and speak out. If you live in an unaffected State, SO WHAT, SPEAK OUT IN SUPPORT OF YOUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN THE AFFECTED STATES.

Resist!

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#154164 - 19/02/10 12:53 AM

And by the way, I put myself in the idiot category in the past. I, too, have spoken out against this or that gun accessory, or whatever, or taken some soft attitude on Federal encroachments.

No longer.

When you dive into the muck of the enviro movement and the anti-gun efforts and see what they are made of, it becomes crystal clear.

Resist the deprivation of rights of your neighbor, fellows, or you will lose the rights YOU favor.

{Remember back a few years when the double-guys were saying, "Oh, so what, it is just a useless SKS...good thing our doubles will be safe!"}

Yeah, right.

{...yes, I am trying to be as abrasive as I can be... }

--------------------

Edited by 9.3x57 (19/02/10 12:57 AM)

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #154165 - 19/02/10 12:55 AM

Check this out. Major civilian firepower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoQTFbPbg_g

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

.224 member

Reged: 21/01/09
Loc: Australia, Perth
      #154169 - 19/02/10 01:21 AM

I live in WA and recently got my approval for a .404 Jeffery. It took a while and I did have to have an interview with the district superintendant of police, but it all came through good in the end. He said if I was a member of the big game club I would have no trouble at all getting approval for it.
I know someone waitng to get approval for two large calibre rifles at the moment, when and if these get approved I will post it here.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Re: Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust [Re: 010166]
      #154171 - 19/02/10 02:20 AM

Thats a positive comment Bill,but why should we be institutionalised and have to join a club to own and use a firearm ?
Al

--------------------

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #154182 - 19/02/10 05:17 AM

Quote:

Thats a positive comment Bill,but why should we be institutionalised and have to join a club to own and use a firearm ?
Al

It easyer to take small steps, then to ban them right away, people are easially fooled that way.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

.224 member

Reged: 21/01/09
Loc: Australia, Perth
Re: Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust [Re: 450_366]
      #154195 - 19/02/10 10:55 AM

Gidday Al,

I agree with you there Al we should not institutionalised in any way to enjoy our sport. I also had that discussion with the police, when asked why I didn't join the Big Game Club. My argument was that due to work committments I would miss most of thier meetings as I would not be in Perth very often, and when I am home I have family commitments (and I have to hunt as well).

Talking of the Perth Big Game Club, I went to one of their club meets once and found them to be a great bunch of blokes, so when and if do I get more free time I will join their club. But only to knock about with like minded people, not as a means to an end to own a rifle.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 43964

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com