Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Calling all Ruger RSM owners: Scope QD ring question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
marlin45
.224 member

Reged: 16/04/08
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Calling all Ruger RSM owners: Scope QD ring question
      #148419 - 20/12/09 07:54 PM

Hello there,
This is my first post and I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you to everybody who contibutes because I have learned heaps reading the posts.

I finally bought my first big bore rifle, a Ruger RSM in 458 Lott. Second hand but in very good condition with great wood, a Pachmayer recoil pad, trigger job and bedding of the action. I think at full throttle it DOES recoil heavily and there is only so much of that fun I can experience in one sitting.

My question is i would like to mount a scope at the lowest height permissable and use warne quick dettachable rings but looking at the rear quarter rib, it doesn't leave a lot of room for objective lenses......So, could owners of these rifles please tell me of their scope and ring config's especially if using the warne quick dettach rings in the lowest size.

The scope i am ideally interested in is a 2.5x8 v3 leupold. With this scope i can use it more frequently as a hunting rifle and hopefully become more proficient with it. I realise it may not be the classic scope for this rifle.

Looking forward to your replies.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Calling all Ruger RSM owners: Scope QD ring question [Re: marlin45]
      #148421 - 20/12/09 08:09 PM

Welcome marlin45. One of the Big Bore shooters will be along no doubt to help with your request.

I had a problem adjusting the Warne QD rings on my 9.3x62. Definantly operator error on my part but I beleive if adjusted correctly they should be fine. The straight tubed scopes, as you seem to already realise, are de-rigeur on these rifles.

High magnification may lead to loss of the sight picture under recoil.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Calling all Ruger RSM owners: Scope QD ring question [Re: tophet1]
      #148446 - 21/12/09 03:30 AM

Welcome marlin!

I have not heard of Warnes for Rugers.

Like tophet, I had some trouble initially with Warnes on a CZ550 9.3x62. With the front ring set all the way forward the mount fouled the front uncut portion of the dovetail just a bit, and repeatability was nil.

Once I set the ring back a bit and use the same re-attachment procedure, I get excellent repeatability.

I will be curious to see what Warnes look like on the Ruger.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

marlin45
.224 member

Re: Calling all Ruger RSM owners: Scope QD ring question [Re: 9.3x57]
      #148521 - 21/12/09 10:54 PM

Thanks for the wellcome Tophet1 and 9.3x57!

9.3x57,
1R7L and 2R7L are the product codes for the Warnes I think. I am also curious to see how they look like on these Rugers.

I would really like to know if someone has used the 1R7L (Medium height) rings to fit the V3 2.5x8 leupold to their Ruger RSM's. I would think it wouldn't matter whether it was a 375, 416 or 458.

Thanks again.

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
      #148662 - 23/12/09 12:52 PM

I mounted that same scope on my .30-'06 Ruger Express, and a similar-sized one on my 338 Win Mag Ruger Express (never scoped my 375 H&H, but the rib is going to cause the same problem for all of these rifles). Because of the rib I had to use the "medium" Ruger factory ring set (their #4 front and #5 rear), where without the rib I would have been able to get away with the "low" set (their #3 front and #4 rear).

According to the Ruger ring chart in the Brownell's catalog, the distance from bottom of ring to top of base (in this case, top of the Ruger receiver) is 0.435 inches for the #4 (front) and 0.565 inches for the #5 (rear).

Also according to the Brownell's catalog, the distance for Warne's "Ruger base QD" sets are 0.410 inches for the "medium" and 0.535 inches for the "high".

It doesn't appear that the Warne rings are "paired", with different heights, like the Rugers are. Seems to me this could potentially cause some problems on a heavy-recoiling rifle.

A few years ago when I inquired about QD ring options for the M77 I was told that the Warnes were nicely made but they didn't quite fit right. Until tonight I thought that was an issue about how the ring fit to the receiver, but after going through this exercise and collecting the various measurements I wonder if the problem I was told about was caused by the use of a single ring-to-receiver dimension.

Why not just carry a tool to remove the factory Ruger rings? That would be far less expensive, and spare the risk of damaging a scope...or yourself if the mounts turned loose under the recoil of the Lott.

marlin45
.224 member

Re: Calling all Ruger RSM owners: Scope QD ring question [Re: taw1126]
      #148937 - 27/12/09 09:17 AM

Taw1126,
That's the real life example i was looking for. Thank you for collecting the data and posting.
It hadn't occured to me that warne qd's may not be "matched" as it were with the different receiver heights.

Looks like i had better be careful to check out the warnes heights.

Could you please tell me how much clearance you have under the objective lens with your ruger rings set up?

Thanks in advance.
Marlin45

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
      #149409 - 04/01/10 03:43 AM

Put the calipers to my .30-06 Express setup today (medium Ruger ring set, Leupold 2.5-8x scope) and there is 0.090-inches between the top of the rib and the bottom of the objective housing.

For comparison, I removed the 3.5-10x40mm Leupold scope from my 338 Express so I can put it up for sale and there was barely daylight visible between the rib and objective. The two definitely didn't touch, but you'd need a feeler gauge to measure the gap.

marlin45
.224 member

Re: Calling all Ruger RSM owners: Scope QD ring question [Re: taw1126]
      #149524 - 05/01/10 06:57 PM

Taw, you are both a scholar and a gentleman!
Thanks indeed for the info and I hope the new year has started well for you.

Again,
Many thanks.
Marcus

.224 member

Reged: 09/01/06
Loc: Manassas,Virginia USA
      #149939 - 09/01/10 09:14 AM

The warne quick detach rings for the bolt action ruger are paired . The medium height are the same height as the #4 and #5. The warne quick detach for the #1 rifle are the same heigth,not paired.I recently put a 1.5x5 Leupold on the ruger alaskan in 416 ruger, nice fit and no issues on attachment.

marlin45
.224 member

Re: Calling all Ruger RSM owners: Scope QD ring question [Re: 404]
      #151353 - 21/01/10 06:13 PM

404, you are correct. The ring heights are different to allow for the ruger receiver.

Quick note to self.....Don't buy a vx3 2.5x8 for this rifle with these mounts.........it isn't long enough to fit!!!

May have to look at Ziess 2.5x8. Bit cheaper here at the moment then the leo. Ziess believes it to be high recoil tolerant.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #151391 - 22/01/10 04:18 AM

I have a set if Warne QD rings on my Ruger M77 .458 lott with a Leupold 1.5-5 VXIII and they work beautifully. I used them on safari in the Zambezi Valley and they proved to be rugged and precise. They actually go off and on and maintain zero. My rifle proved to be quite accurate and the ability to switch between express sights and a low power heavy duplex scope is an ideal situation. I have since put them on another M77RS .30-06 I have. I love the Ruger integral ring design. With the innovation of Warnes QD's it is perfect. Warne has excellent customer service as well. You must install the QD rings correctly too. It takes some time. Be sure the rings match the receiver index grooves perfectly. Tighten the lower screws first, then upper. Actually they recommend alternating front to back as well, lower left, upper right and so on. Good luck with them. I think you will really like them.

--------------------
One day at a time...

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Calling all Ruger RSM owners: Scope QD ring question [Re: bigmaxx]
      #151396 - 22/01/10 05:35 AM

I am curious as to the utility of an eight power scope on a .458 Lott, or any hunting rifle, for that matter. As a rule, eye relief in variable power scopes decreases in proportion to the increase in power, so to use the highest power you will either have to sacrifice the field of view or move your head perilously close to the ocular lens of the scope.

I am aware that one justification for such variables is that the hunter can dispense with binoculars and simply use his rifle scope for game spotting. I find this objectionable from two standpoints.

First, moving a rifle around while looking for game causes unnecessary motion, and motion is what game animals react to. The chances of spooking game are much higher spotting game with a rifle scope.

Secondly, and more importantly, it is an unsafe practice. Pointing a rifle at an unidentified object can have tragic consequences, if the object turns out to be a human being. I have actually had this happen to me, and the outcome was almost tragic for the other hunter. I was walking down a fire break, when I happened to see the glitter of a scope reflecting in the sunlight from a nearby tree, I quickly got a tree between myself and the scope and yelled at the "hunter". He was very apologetic and claimed that he was just "scoping the area for deer." I was ready to do some reverse "scoping" to see how well he liked it.

I have always used straight tube scopes on powerful rifles. I find four power scopes the most practical for the lighter calibers and 2 1/2 to 3X best for heavier ones. The 1.5-5X variables represent a good compromise, although I think 5X is unnecesarily powerful.

Aside from other considerations, the straight tube scopes allow for the very lowest of mountings, so that a stock which fits properly for iron sights should fit for such a scope as well.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Calling all Ruger RSM owners: Scope QD ring question [Re: xausa]
      #151408 - 22/01/10 08:13 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Welcome on board Marlin 45!
I have Leupold VX-III 1.75-6 x 32mm mounted on my Ruger .375H&H RSM.
This scope is mounted to the rifle, in a set of Warne QD rings and the scope bell clears the 1/4 Rib by about 1 mm (Just Perfect!!!).
I can't find the packaging for these rings but I assume they are a Low set?
FYI, the distance between the top of the Receiver and the bottom of the 1" scope tube is around 8mm or 0.312" at the rear of the front ring. I have never had any problems with these rings, from installation until now which has included around 60 odd maximum power (300gr x 2585fps) shots.
I personally believe this Leupold scope (the new V3 1.75 - 6 x 32mm version), would be a better option on your .458 than the 2.5-8 x 36 which would require higher scope rings?
Also, when you mention this scope to most people, they look at you as if you were from another planet!
Most people have Never Heard of the 1.75-6 x 32 scope but there it is right there in the Leupold catalog next to the 1.5-5 x 20mm!

A word of caution on this Rifle-Ring-Scope, set-up. This scope is an extremely snug fit on this rifle with these rings. That is, front to back between these single Top screw, Warne rings!!!
I don't know if the current Warne Ruger QD rings are still single or double top screws?
I imagine the double screw rings, may be wider and won't accept this scope on this rifle?

Hope this is of some assistance and Marlin 45, if you like, send me a PM/email and I can send you an image of my Ruger rifle so you can see the set-up.

HooRoo
From
Hommer

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Calling all Ruger RSM owners: Scope QD ring question [Re: xausa]
      #151505 - 23/01/10 03:08 AM

I agree that the lower power is most important on a rifle used for dangerous game. However, higher magnification could be required if the rifle is to be used for plains game. I had a 2.5-8 Zeiss Conquest on my Ruger Hawkeye African in Warne QD rings for use on plains game, and as a backup in the unlikely event my M77 .458 failed or was damaged. I could have taken plains species easily with either rifle in a pinch. Just make darn sure it's on the low power setting when you are NOT shooting at plains game. I detatch my sling as well when wandering around areas where you have dangerous game. Especially elephant! Keep a couple of solids in the bottom of your magazine for insurance.

--------------------
One day at a time...

marlin45
.224 member

Re: Calling all Ruger RSM owners: Scope QD ring question [Re: bigmaxx]
      #152315 - 31/01/10 10:53 AM

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and contributions.

I am sorry for my late replies, I had been away on an acupuncture course for the week and there was no internet!! It was like living in the bush... kind of nice really.

Bigmaxx: Thanks for the feed back. Glad to hear they have held up for you and given good service.

Hommer: Your worries about the tight fit are SPOT ON. I have the 4 screw qd warnes and there isn't enough length on the 2.5x8 to get it mounted...... i need another 1/2 inch or so. That is where the Ziess looks like it will fit.

Xausa: I agree totally with using a scope connected to a rifle as binoculars. That is to say, don't point your rifle at something you are not prepared to destroy. I think that only makes sense. Also, love the idea of lowest possible ring mounts and I use a straight tube on a Rem 7600 whelan carbine for that reason.....However I REALLY wanted a qd set up with this rifle. You can certainly argue if that is a good idea, i know i did befor i purchased the warnes. There lies the problem, if you want qd's, the lowest set (the one's i purchased) are considered "mediums". Bugger, i thought. Then it dawned on me that if I had clearance anyway (unavoideble really) , why not go with a larger objective lens for the benefits that this brings. It just plain didn't make sense to have a neat straight tube sitting high up on the barrel. I also will get away with a higher scope mount as the stock design gets my head up high on the stock..... might have something to do with the overall height of the iron sights (they seem tall to me) on this rifle.

With some people saying the fixed 2.5 and 3 power leupolds are fine scopes for similar rifles I figured that variable range would work OK, providing there was a QD scope mechanism.

I also plan to take it Sambar hunting which although not ideal in that role either will get me some actual hunting trigger time which can't be a bad thing. Time to find out if those 350 grain hornady round noses are up to the job...... I will have them moving at a reasonably sedate 2450fps. Similar to a serious 375 with similar levels of recoil and trajectory out to 250 meters or so. Yes i realise the sd/bc difference will be there. On light skinned game though it should be interesting.

Thank you again,
Marlin45

Farmboy
.224 member

Reged: 30/01/10
Loc: NT, AUST
416 Ruger Questions [Re: marlin45]
      #152318 - 31/01/10 11:19 AM

Hi all,
I have just recieved my latest project... a 416 Ruger on a feather weight WINNY action (originally in 308/3006)MAB did an awesome job by the way and resonably priced.Should be a hoot to shoot..!
Handloading is on the cards due to cost of factory pills, so if any one has some answers I would be extatic...

Where or who sells brass

Possible load data etc

any comments would be welcomed

thanks heaps
farmboy

--------------------
Bullets are Cheap ! Give Him another One

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8910

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com