Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity
      #148238 - 18/12/09 01:10 AM

Read a really good article this morning in RIFLE magazine by Ganyana...where he states all one really needs to keep in mind, particularly when hunting elephant is velocity must be high enough compared to the sectional density of the bullet used for good penetration.

As an example--he sd in the .300 range--you need velocity of around 2300 plus to be effective were as if sd is .340 velocity of around 2100 will suffice..

Ganyana goes on to explain his experiences in this theory hunting hippo, lion, elephant and buffalo.

One final interesting point he makes is that he felt there is absolutey no need to use solids on buffalo with todays technology and current crop of bullets available..

If interested you should check this out..fairly lengthy article with lots of informative info...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity [Re: Ripp]
      #148241 - 18/12/09 01:24 AM

I have to read this one. Sounds like a good article.

Is he saying that sectional density by itself is a reliable predictor of penetration?

OR is he saying that with today's current crop of Premium bulllets {hopefully specified} it is.

Reason I ask this is that sectional density is NOT by itself a reliable predictor fo penetration.

Two bullets come to mind; the Hornday .264/160 and the .308/220. Both are very long for caliber, but both are realtively frangible.

Others in past literature come to mind; Bob Hagel's poor results with the L-O-N-G .333/300, etc.

Since starting my testing program years ago, I no longer will make a prediction of penetration based purely on SD. A frangible long-for-caliber bullet may penetrate far less than a stoutly constructed lighter-for-caliber bullet.

Haven't read the article, but it sounds like an interesting one. Gotta get it. Thanks for posting RIPP.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity [Re: 9.3x57]
      #148245 - 18/12/09 02:00 AM

I have not killed a dangerous game animal, but have read extensively about projectile design.

A new, but little reported, design feature that has an effect on penetration is the metplat.

According to the engineers, the flat nose creates larger cavitation than the round nose.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity [Re: bonanza]
      #148247 - 18/12/09 02:10 AM

Ganyana actually discussed the metplat as well and concures with your info--

No he is saying it plays a part in the penetration equation..proper velocity is critical as well per the article..talks about his father killing 17 elephants with 18 shots--and even though, at that time, the two items we are discussing were perfect for that caliber..

You really need to read the article--is very interesting...

Rip

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity [Re: bonanza]
      #148251 - 18/12/09 03:29 AM

Quote:

A new, but little reported, design feature that has an effect on penetration is the metplat.

Blair; good point {no pun intended... }

Just for clarification, I was referring to softs, not solids.

RIPP:

Yes, you really have my attention on this one.

Gotta get it.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #148314 - 18/12/09 08:00 PM

Quote:

As an example--he sd in the .300 range--you need velocity of around 2300 plus to be effective were as if sd is .340 velocity of around 2100 will suffice..

Could this explain Taylor and Mussa Issa's enthusiasm for the .450/.400s? The Woodleigh solids have SDs of .338 and .344 (depending on dia.). Loaded to the lower velocity, these would seem to give the required bang with not much buck.

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity [Re: Paul]
      #148995 - 28/12/09 01:43 PM

Art Alphin in a book he co-authored "Any Shot You Want" has a chapter on penetration and his "penetration index". I highly recommend the book for many reasons. He also provides load data for many "hard to find" calibers like the 500 Jeffery, 375 Weatherby Magnum, etc ...

Here's a link.

http://www.grosswildjagd.de/penetr2.htm

It seems like a 350g solid out of a 375 H&H at 2350 fps or out of a 375 Weatherby Magnum at 2550 fps would be just the ticket ...

Chuck

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Edited by chuck375 (28/12/09 01:50 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity [Re: chuck375]
      #149028 - 29/12/09 05:12 AM

High SD is next to worthless if the constrution isn't up to the task at hand - witness the 300gr. .333's, 220gr. .308's and 160gr. .264's - yet, Harold Johnson's 450gr. solids for his Winchester (trimmed .5 steel core MG bullets) never once stayed inside a brown bear - and were only started at 1,850fps. They also never failed to floor a bear - some were legnthwise shots - so over 7' of penetration. Construction is vital and is necessary to 'humour' sectional density.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity [Re: DarylS]
      #149054 - 29/12/09 01:25 PM

Daryl is right.

I've tested high SD bullets that penentrated no more deeply than bullets with much lower SD's. Just because a bullet has a low SD doesn't mean it will automatically penetrate less.

All things equal in two bullets of identical construction, SD means something. As a guarantor of penetration in and of itself, not much anymore.

One thing a long, heavy lead-cored bullet does have going for it is just that, lots of lead available for fragmentation. Some somewhat "weak" longies like the .264 Hornady 160 grain bullet are fast killers on light game because they send fragments out for quite impressive wounding effect.

But with big mean game, forget it.

Make sure the bullet is up to the task.

Personally, I don't blindly "trust" any maker anymore. They all make losers from time-to-time, and don't warn you when they do.

Pick a well-known top performer or devise yourself a test to match unknowns against knowns. Don't rely on engineering specs or advertisements. Period.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#149056 - 29/12/09 02:48 PM

Quote:

Daryl is right.

I've tested high SD bullets that penentrated no more deeply than bullets with much lower SD's. Just because a bullet has a low SD doesn't mean it will automatically penetrate less.

All things equal in two bullets of identical construction, SD means something. As a guarantor of penetration in and of itself, not much anymore.

Pick a well-known top performer or devise yourself a test to match unknowns against knowns. Don't rely on engineering specs or advertisements. Period.

Agree totally--the bullet has to be up to the task or sd will not matter for much. Had a similar experience with Nosler Accubonds in a 300 Ultra-mag---velocity was around 3375fps with 180 gr bullets..they had very poor performance on the bigger game and completely exploded the lighter stuff..the accubonds are a good bullet for 3000 fps or less,IMHO..but not much more..

As to all things being equal..would have to reread the article, but think that might be what he was suggesting...

Ripp

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #149059 - 29/12/09 03:47 PM

Too much or too little velocity can ditch the effectiveness of a given bullet.

My father had been student to the gun from his early boyhood on.
Years ago we'd been discussing the 'cupro-nickel' era.
One part of the talk had to do with penetration of FMJ solids.
He'd noted that there was a specific envelope of terminal velocity where the (6.5/160gr for instance) would be most effective, and at times the relatively low velocity numbers had me second guessing...

Years later in my own studies I'd found British munitions trials data that spoke directly to what my dad had been telling me years earlier (Dear ol Dad, rest in peace!) -- I could dig this up, or anyone here could do a Google Books Search for the data from any number of Victorian-era publications.

As it seems to me, the cartridges (back then specifically) were designed soup-to-nuts, with everything developed to maximize the performance to a set of 'command performance' criteria.
Want maximum penetration from a very compact cartridge that's easy on rifles and riflemen, but hell on whatever it's pointed at?
Want that penetration at a minimum of recoil?
Fine!
I have enjoyed many a long night up reading 19th century gun industry engineering texts.
Great stuff!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity [Re: tinker]
      #149066 - 30/12/09 12:37 AM

Tinker, give us a reading list!

I think you and I are looking at the same mountain peak from different valleys.

I agree there was a great amount of engineering that went into the cartridge designs of the late 19th Century. BRILLIANT engineering. I mean, a fellow today whips up a wildcat and thinks he's walking in the dim forest, but those fellows back then WERE walking in the dim forest, with pressures unheard of with black powder, true unknowns to protect themselves against, brass that failed, barrels that gave way, actions that let gas go all over town, etc, etc, etc. Paul Mauser himself lost an eye in that "dim forest"...

But my perspective is that the superb balance of bullet caliber/weight and velocity that grew out of the Ordnance Departments and gun trade of the late 19th had a multitude of other causes than engineering skill, maybe more important causes in some ways; the very limitations of material and technology then available. Powders were by today's standards poor, brass "iffy" and steel alloys and heat treatment technology barely keeping pace with internal ballistics. What grew out of the research was as much "luck" in that sense as it was the result of purposeful design.

For example, the 154-160 6.5, the 220 .308 and 215 .303 combinations at 2100-2400 fps have served to set the standard for deep penetration with light recoil and handy rifles. The .450-.470 class guns shooting 480-500 grain bullets at 2100 or so set the standard for taking big'uns without coldcocking the shooter. Why? Well, partly...largely...because those possibles were what they could get out of the guns and components.

Ordnance of the first quarter of the 20th Century, ditto.

For example, I just read Labbett and Mead's research on the British .256 and .276 cartridge designs and it is clear that they actually sought higher velocities and "performance" than what was actually possible with the components {bullet designs & material and powders} of the day. Fascinating, because they wound up with a cartridge of very modern design anyway! Before that I read Hatcher's work on US .276 cartridge projects, and...ditto! Cartridge's of very modern military design, made such due to the limitations that existed at the day!

Fascinating!

And so it goes with the big bores, too.

So we today churn out this or that "new" cartridge for heavy game, and those who use them on big stuff continue to marvel at the ones whooped up in the dark corners of the sooty shops of Old Blighty a hundred years ago! And THOSE were totally limited not only by the cartridge components but by the "weak" double guns shooting them.

Who coulda known that what a double of 1899 could contain would be "just right" for pachyderm shooting?

--------------------

458ONLY
.224 member

Reged: 20/06/08
Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #149092 - 30/12/09 12:18 PM

Sectional density is VERY important! To deny it is to deny that diverse bullet weights for a given caliber have little or no effect on energy, momentum or penetration, because those three are subject to bullet weight which directly determines sectional density for a given caliber. More than that, ballistic coefficient is also directly related to bullet weight in a given caliber.

BUT, let's NOT compare cucumbers to tomatoes here (even though they are great together in a salad!). To be fair and honest, we must compare bullets of equal sectional densities that have the same construction AND velocity! It does NO good to compare FN with RN, or softs with solids, or hardcast with monolithics! That's being deceitful, or dumb, to try to garner points in that way. For example: to show that sectional density is meaningful in penetration, we must compare a 450gr Barnes Banded in .458" at max pressure with a 500gr Barnes Banded in .458" at max pressure. At the same velocity is meaningless, in this scenario, as that would slow the 450 down to the level of the 500, so it would not be at max velocity due to not being at max pressure. That's only one example. There are thousands that could be presented where sectional density is very meaningful in terminal ballistics.

But, for instance, to compare the penetration of 450gr TSX at normal MV with a 450gr Banded, at normal velocity, when both have identical sectional densities makes no sense, when we already know which one will win that penetration contest. Or, to compare at 180gr TSX in .30-cal at 3000 fps with a 500gr solid in .458" with a FN at 2200 fps, into an elephant.... ???? A good discussion over what makes a good salad would no doubt be more appetizing!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Edited by 458ONLY (30/12/09 12:24 PM)

Happy Birthday cooch
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/03
Loc: Southern NSW
      #149095 - 30/12/09 02:16 PM

Quote:

Try plugging the following phrase into you search-engine of choice.

"Terminal Sectional Density"

There is a school of thought that the SD after impact and full expansion is a far better indicator of penetration than unexpanded SD.

--------------------
"The only logical response to an animal that lives obsessed with avoiding capture is to chase it." - Jose Ortega y Gassett

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity [Re: cooch]
      #149118 - 31/12/09 01:06 AM

Thanks Cooch;

Here's an interesting article relating to same.

www.gunsandhunting.com/bulletshootout.html

I always get a little nervous when mathematical models are used to predict performance. I also prefer a hard/soft testing media. Ballistic gels and wet paper always seem to produce good "mushrooms" but do not necessarily look like bullets that I dig out of game. The bullets I recover from my media generally do.

I think Ganyana makes all the points agreed to here; that sectional density can be a predictor of sorts, but not exclusively; bullet construction does matter...alot.

Also, people DO often compare apples to oranges, and use SD as singular predictor of performance, which it is not.

--------------------

chuck375
.333 member

#150010 - 10/01/10 01:40 AM

Very good article 9.3x57, thanks for the link. A couple of thoughts... Obviously if a bullet doesn't expand at all and retains all of its weight it will penetrate better = solid even if all of the other bullets have the same sectional density. Still the author makes a very good point. I think what we are looking for in an expanding bullet, is good reliable expansion even at reduced velocities (200 to 400 yards out), excellent weight retention even after hitting bone at close range and stability and deep penetration inside of the animal. The original Nosler partitions did all of that for lighter skinned North American game except for the weight retention, but they did retain the ability to expand out to long ranges. The Swift A-Frames tend to be a little on the slower expanding/tough side at lower velocities, but other than that seem pretty ideal. An A-Frame type bullet with Woodleighs bonding and expansion/softness might be the perfect North American bullet, particularly in a heavy for caliber bullet like the .375 350gs (by the way I got 2410 fps with the 350g Woodleigh using H4350 out of my CZ 550 375 H&H). Since I've moved up to a 500 Jeffery (don't ask me why lol) I'm looking forward with great anticipation to the new .510 North Fork Softpoints coming out.

Happy New Year to you all,

Chuck

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity [Re: DarylS]
      #150017 - 10/01/10 02:22 AM

Quote:

Construction is vital and is necessary to 'humour' sectional density.

YUP!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity [Re: chuck375]
      #150018 - 10/01/10 02:22 AM

I think SD is a very useful tool, but as pointed out, not in the absence of other 'data' or testing. One often touted point relating to SD is that high SD or long for calibre bullets are better for straight line penetration, not just deep penetration. This is clearly an important factor, for instance, in brain shots with solids on elephant. Here again though, appropriate velocity, rifling twist and bullet construction are also fundamental.

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #150046 - 10/01/10 05:55 AM

I keep my performance equation very simple. For me, I'll take a super premium bullet that is somewhat heavy for caliber pushed as fast as I can handle. Penetration has never been a problem.

I've had a slightly different experience with the Nosler Accubonds. I've used the 110 grain in my .257 Weatherby and it penetrated the length of a Pronghorn from front to hip at 300 yards and retained 65% of its weight. I shot a wild boar with my .270 Wby using a 140 grain Accubond at 80 yards and it penetrated completely front to rear on a quartering angle. Another shot with the same .270 and same bullet at about 100 yards didn't penetrate all the way and the recovered bullet retained 60 % of it's weight. Similar experience at a 130 yard shot at a deer with a 180 grain Accubond out of the .300. So far, so good!!!

--------------------

Edited by Der_Jaeger (11/01/10 12:53 AM)

chuck375
.333 member

Re: Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #151034 - 18/01/10 03:45 PM

I agree Jerry, I'm thinking a 600g .510 caliber North Fork Softpoint at 2300 fps from my 500 Jeffery should be good for everything from elk, to brown bear and cape buffalo. I'll just have to find a good solid that shoots to the same point of impact.

Chuck

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7066

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com