Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Best Boots for Africa

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/03
Loc: United Kingdom
Best Boots for Africa
      #14795 - 15/05/04 05:00 AM

Wasn’t sure where to post this one but it’s an African Hunting related item so here goes. The last time I went to Africa the one item of gear that I got seriously wrong was boots. My feet went through hell, hot or what. Light weight walking boots made by Brasher, with a Gortex lining which may have been the problem. When they got wet, they steamed your feet and when dry, baked them. Used a few different socks, light cotton and also a few of the technical “wicking” type socks.

I have been advised to go for a good quality walking boot, Meindl, without any liner and to go for the high ankle boot rather than the low ankle. Sock wise go for a wicking type natural fine Marino wool type.

The alternative is the Courtney Selous type with no socks. Great if you wear them every day with feet like leather but unfortunately here in the UK weather your feet will never get like leather, you’ll get foot rot from being wet or frost bite.

So what do you more seasoned travellers think and what do the professional hunters think a client should wear. The Brasher’s I wore were well broken in they were just too damn hot.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Best Boots for Africa [Re: Phil_in_the_UK]
      #14799 - 15/05/04 07:08 AM

Phil,

I have a pair of Brasher's I use in wet weather as 4x4 for feet. They're a great boot but as you say, they're hot.

In the dry weather I use a soft leather boot that comes just over the ankle with a thin sole. I've found the best ones (at a sensible price) are to be bought here in RSA from any of the Trappers stores etc.

You don't say where in Africa you will be hunting, but if it's RSA it might be an idea to ask your outfitter if it would be possible for you to stop at a Trappers or Trappers type store on your way to the hunting area and find a boot that fits you properly. If you buy gameskin boots they won't need any breaking in.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Best Boots for Africa [Re: shakari]
      #14808 - 15/05/04 10:25 AM

Forget the gore tex, you won't be there long enough or usually get wet enough for them to matter and they are hot. I have a pair of Courtney's in elephant and after the usual 5 year/50,000 mile break in they are now very comfortable. I'm on my second set of tires for them now.

I also have a pair of Kudu skin boots, like Desert Boots, that wear like iron and are very, very comfortable. Like hunting in your socks, with a sole. They cost about US$30 new and never needed to be broke in.

Russel PHs are also very nice. (I have a lot of boots )

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Best Boots for Africa [Re: mickey]
      #14820 - 15/05/04 01:10 PM

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Cabela's Kangaroo Skin Boots-the ones with the sharkskin toe cap. Any thoughts?

Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
Re: Best Boots for Africa [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #14823 - 15/05/04 05:18 PM

In reply to:

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Cabela's Kangaroo Skin Boots-the ones with the sharkskin toe cap. Any thoughts?

WOW....SHARKSKIN TOE CAP.....very sexy mate

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Best Boots for Africa [Re: Bakes]
      #14824 - 15/05/04 05:29 PM

I don't know about sexy , but as tough as shark skin is, it should help protect the toe of the boot when climbing around in the rocks.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #14838 - 16/05/04 04:51 AM

I think it depends on when you go to RSA. I brought my Rocky Gotex/thinsulate lined hunting boots for the wet weather they said we might see. Wore my Chukka boots most of the time.

But I can tell you I was damn glad I brought the Rocky's

July 2002

That was the only time I saw my PH was not equipped and ready to go hunting. I left him my Gortex Rain gear.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Geronimo
.275 member

Reged: 14/04/04
Loc: Michigan,USA
      #14845 - 16/05/04 10:55 AM

I don't know which Courteney boot type you are referring to, but I have 2 pair of the safari boots with the tire tread soles, one in buffalo hide, one in elephant. I wear them with low rise hiking socks. I don't think I have ever found a more comfortable walking boot. They are light, extremely tough, and pliable enough that they don't really require a break-in period. I'm about to take them on my ninth safari(their seventh) in September.

Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Re: Best Boots for Africa [Re: Geronimo]
      #14853 - 17/05/04 12:01 AM

Geronimo

Sounds like the ones I have, buffalo hide and tire tread sole with no instep. The problem I had with them was the leather liner formed a ridge at the heal so I had to change the insole and there was little arch support so they gave achy feet after a few miles. Think I must have problematic feet.

Regards

Phil

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#14860 - 17/05/04 02:51 AM

I need shoes and boots with a good arch support. I've got flat feet, and when I first went into the service, the boots I was issued had no arch support in them. After about 4 days, I couldn't walk because my feet hurt so bad. I was sent to the clinic, and the M.D. gave me two pairs of arch supports to put into the boots, and it was like a miracle! The pain disappeared immediately! I now wear orthotic inserts in all my footwear. They're great.

cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
      #14880 - 17/05/04 05:24 PM

According to a few hunting freinds of mine who have hunted Africa and New Zealand Australia a lot ,the Meindl boots are supposed to be the best boots available. They are all custom fitted ,you draw pics of your feet outline in paper and send it too them. They have different boots fot different conditions,activities etc. Their only downside is the cost ,not cheap. I,m looking at getting a pair for my next hunting boots.

Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Re: Best Boots for Africa [Re: cr500]
      #14904 - 18/05/04 03:25 AM

Many thanks everyone for the input.

I bought the Meindl boots yesterday and had them “fitted” that is steamed and shrunk and molded to the shape of my heal etc. These have to be the comfiest boots so far. Have only worn them for a day breaking them in but they are good and seem to support everywhere they need to. Hope they don’t join the pile of boots I have that didn’t make the grade.

Regards

Phil

Spie
.224 member

Reged: 18/05/04
Loc: Cheshire, UK
      #14937 - 18/05/04 07:11 PM

Phil, I'm also looking for some suitable boots for Africa. Which model did you buy and where from in the UK?

Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Re: Best Boots for Africa [Re: Spie]
      #15011 - 20/05/04 02:53 AM

Spie

The boots are Meindl Borneo Pro from Field & Trek, 118 Deansgate, Manchester 0161 834 5707. I know you have a Field & Trek in Chester but the gentleman you need to see is in the Manchester store. I don’t know his name but he is the ex military chap who has spent quite a time in Africa, knows his stuff and is prepared to spend time getting it right. Sundays is a good day as it is a little quieter, he spent around an hour steaming and shaping my boots and working out the best lacing system.

Where are you planning to hunt?

Regards

Phil

Spie
.224 member

Reged: 18/05/04
Loc: Cheshire, UK
      #15031 - 20/05/04 05:26 PM

I like the idea of the memory foam system, but they do look fairly heavily constructed. Are they going to be too warm for Africa? Most places list 12 (47) as the biggest size available but this place - http://www.field-trek.co.uk/ft1/product.asp?currency=GBP&pf_id=12960 - lists them in 13 (I need a 48) and 14 albeit at £140. Looks like this is the company you bought yours from.

Can't see any mention of this steaming process you refer to. How does that work?

I'm going to the Selous region of Tanzania in September to hunt Cape Buffalo and some plains game.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#15037 - 21/05/04 12:28 AM

I tried these boots on this past weekend at the local Cabela's store, and they just didn't fit me well. I have a high instep, and these boots were just too tight in that area.

I have a pair of Russell PH II that are very comfortable and wear well. I guess they should be comfortable since they're custom fit and made. The only problem I had with them was shortly after I started wearing them, the sole started peeling away from the boot. My local shoemaker quickly fixed that problem with an application of a good cement.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a pair of the Russell Mbogo PHs-the ones made from Cape Buffalo hide. They also make this model with Elephant hide, Ostrich skin, and Kangaroo hide.

Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Re: Best Boots for Africa [Re: Spie]
      #15040 - 21/05/04 04:10 AM

Spie

Yes, those are the ones; they are a lot lighter than you think. Only a light leather liner. Cost wise they were £120.00, and my wife bought another pair and we then got a discount of £22.00. Didn’t think that was too bad. As for sizes, give them a call, I bought a size 11.

Mike

I know what you mean about the fit, I wasn’t 100% convinced until they were shrunk onto my feet, now they fit like gloves and are quite cool with the fine wool socks.

They moulded them by placing a small amount of water in a plastic bag and then the boot in the bag. The bagged boot was then placed in a pan of just boiled water until soft. I then put the boots on and the Gentleman moulded and held the boots to all the loose bits around my ankles. As the boots cooled they ”set”. This is probably a gross simplification of the process and the technology behind it but it certainly works.

Regards

Phil

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
      #15047 - 21/05/04 12:45 PM

Dose anyone know if these type of boots can be found in Canada?

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Re: Best Boots for Africa [Re: Gibbs505]
      #15060 - 22/05/04 02:19 AM

Yes, down here on the coast. A friend of mine dropped off a catalog for me about a month ago, but I'll get back to you as to the store's name and number after the weekend.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Gibbs505
.333 member

Re: Best Boots for Africa [Re: AdamTayler]
      #15082 - 22/05/04 01:32 PM

Thanks Adam!!

--------------------

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #15192 - 25/05/04 10:28 PM

PM sent

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
      #15194 - 25/05/04 11:56 PM

The best boot for Africa???

Easy!!!!!!

Any soft leather boot with a flat sole.Rugged soles tend to make a lot of noise.I hunt with a very old style ankle high boot called a Bull Brand.Also have a pair of Caterpillar hiking shoe wich is very comfortable but hot.
My Bull Brands I wear without socks.They are very lite and the outersole is hard enough to keep that nasty Sicklebush thorns out.
My best suggestion is that if you don't find a pair of boots that suits you well don't be shy to hunt with your Nike or Addidas crosstrainers.Usually they tend to be your most comfortable pair of shoes in your closet.They don't make a noise they are light and you can run with them if you miss that buffalo . Just a pity they dont give much protection from the sides.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

Gibbs505
.333 member

#15225 - 26/05/04 12:37 PM

Thanks, got your PM.

--------------------

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #15308 - 29/05/04 10:34 AM

For hot weather and TAnzania, zimbabwe I like my Courtney boots best..I take out the insole and put in an orthropedic insole as I have heel spur problems....If I hunt the mountains of RSA then I have a pair of heavy soft skin lace up ropers with a thick sole..

And never over look a pair of Hushpuppies for Africa or just plain tennis shoes..Most PHs wear deck shoes without socks, that keeps the grass seeds out of the socks..I have to wear socks so I have a couple of pairs of gaitores, one high and one low pair...

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
Re: Best Boots for Africa [Re: atkinson6]
      #15530 - 05/06/04 12:01 AM

A lot of the choice of shoes or boots is a personal thing, like ones's choice in women. I've been thru the Russell PH thing, etc.

If anything tennis (walking) shoes w/a short gaiter are the best, for me.

(Actually, in Zim where there are not many thorns, I wear Teva sandals. They don't tend to move around like boots, give enough support, are quiet and a hell of a lot cooler than Goretex ).

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25027

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com