Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scarpa Boots Warranty

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Scarpa Boots Warranty
      #147116 - 03/12/09 03:00 PM

On a recent hunting trip my Scarpa Attak leather boots had a major failure.
The sole on one boot delaminated almost completely, remaing attatched by just a couple of inches at the front. The rest of the sole has comletely separated from the leather upper.
The other boot is showing signs of doing the same thing.

These boots are a few years old, but have only been worn 2 or 3 times, and have done very few miles.
Wear on the soles is close to nothing, they still look almost new.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with this brand of boot?
Has anyone made any warranty claims on Scarpa boots, and if so what was the outcome?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Scarpa Boots Warranty [Re: 4seventy]
      #147121 - 03/12/09 05:55 PM

I have found that with some boots that don't get used a lot seems to accelerate the "brake down" of some synthetic foot beds, inner soles and glues. Have seen this on Canadian Sorrels and German Mundels plus some other brands.

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Scarpa Boots Warranty [Re: ozhunter]
      #147123 - 03/12/09 07:43 PM

Scarpa boots seem to be the favourite of some experienced Tasmanian hunters I know, so I'm surprised at this account. I don't know about Queensland but the Victorian Sales of Goods Act 1958 (if it still applies) gives a statutory warranty for almost anything durable except cars and houses. If a thing has been badly made the shop that sold it is responsible for repair even after the maker's warranty has expired. Maybe something like that exists in Qld as well.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #147129 - 03/12/09 11:18 PM

Hi 4Seventy,

It is not just the Scarpa that can go belly up, as Ozhunter said, it's the glue and it breaks down with time not use, this happened to me in 2007 in the middle of a Buffalo hunt and all looked sweet when I left home after oiling but there fixed again now as a comfortable boot is esential for hunting.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

Sorry, the picture aspect doesn't seem to work, what am I doing wrong as I followd the guide ??

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Scarpa Boots Warranty [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #147134 - 04/12/09 12:59 AM

You mention oiling.

Various types of oils can migrate down the leather and eliminate the bond between leather and sole. Over-oiling, or forcibly injecting oil between the leather and sole should be avoided.

I might add, I am very careful about oiling vulkanized, bonded boots. The old double welt and Norwegian welt soling systems are theoretically and probably in fact tougher but some of the bonded boots hold up very well as we all know. I prefer the types with a synthetic sealant added during the currying process to waterproof the boot.

My ski-boots have now seen some years of use in really bad conditions for a boot, with many hundreds of miles under them both on skis and on snowshoes and just on the ground {they are a hiking boot as well}, they holding up very well tho I've had to make a few stitching repairs, stitching sealed with Shoe-Goo. No delam problems and these are used in water and mud constantly.

My recommendation for bonded boots is to allow the factory waterproofing to protect the boot as long as possible, and then, find the wear spots and then rub the wear spots with acetone and after drying, rub a thin coat of Shoe-Goo on the spots. Looks like heck but works.

DO NOT APPLY OIL TO A BONDED BOOT/SOLE SEAM OR INTERFACE!

I am using a couple new boots this year, one a pair of Merrells "corked" by Hoffman Boots in Kellog, Idaho. The caulking process involves the grinding smooth of the factory sole, application of a new flat sole with the caulks installed. We'll see how it holds up. The loggers love them, except they don't meet safety standards for industrial wear due to their low 6-inch height.

I'm also using a pair of Asolo boots I got not long ago. They have Gore-Tex {unlike my White's} and after a hundred miles on them they are doing well.

All of the above; Merrell, Asolo and my Salomon ski boots are bonded boots.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9.3x57 (04/12/09 01:37 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Scarpa Boots Warranty [Re: 9.3x57]
      #147135 - 04/12/09 01:48 AM

I had just purchased a pair of the PH's with the soft "stalking sole"---prior to my 2008 Zim hunt. In the 18 days I was there I had to re-glue the soles to the boots two separate times..and they were basically new when I got there other than wearing them around town and on a few hikes to break them in..was told the same thing--that it was a glue problem..they repaired them at no cost to me--but was really glad I had another pair with me to wear while they were drying with the new glue..guess I had thought for $300. the manufacturer would make sure the glue held..IMHO...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Scarpa Boots Warranty [Re: Ripp]
      #147147 - 04/12/09 04:09 AM

This brings up a good point.

Old style leather boots must be broken in to mold them to the feet. It takes a couple weeks of everyday hard use to break in a pair of Whites.

New style machine made leather/composite and fabricated boots are often sold as needing no breakin, but in fact, they must be broken in just to "prove" them. I've had similar problems in the past.

Reminds me of the many scandals that occured during the Civil War/War Between the States. Profiteering companies produced junk brogans made of pressed cardboard and sold them to Government buyers and they completely fell apart in days or a few weeks. Yep, they had Congressional hearings back then, too...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Scarpa Boots Warranty [Re: 9.3x57]
      #147149 - 04/12/09 04:45 AM

I figure it takes at least 100 miles of serious hiking to break in a pair of the old style stiff leather hiking boots.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Scarpa Boots Warranty [Re: 500grains]
      #147217 - 05/12/09 03:25 AM

I have generally found that its the soft padded material between the shoe upper and hard sole that 'rots' and falls apart - especially if they go near water (especially salt water). My leather boots with single material soles have always held up the best, but they are heavier to hike in...

ozhunter
.400 member

Re: Scarpa Boots Warranty [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #147252 - 05/12/09 01:03 PM

Quote:

I have generally found that its the soft padded material between the shoe upper and hard sole that 'rots' and falls apart - especially if they go near water (especially salt water). My leather boots with single material soles have always held up the best, but they are heavier to hike in...

Spot on. I prefer to buy my boots without this internal padding but sadly it getting harder to find boots without.
Funnily enough, the old Scarpa's are one of these with out.

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Scarpa Boots Warranty [Re: ozhunter]
      #147635 - 11/12/09 01:49 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.
I'm wondering if I should just get the soles refitted at my own expence rather than trying to make a warranty claim on my blown out Scarpas.

BwanaBob
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
      #151243 - 20/01/10 04:47 PM

I bought my pair of Scarpa boots in 1991 and I am still wearing them and they have done a lot of miles. My only problem is that the soles have rounded off, after so many years, and they are now 'slippery' on hilly terrain. I was going to send them off and get them re-soled but the cost is higher than I expected and I will probably just buy a new pair.

I am surprise to hear of a pair that failed so early!

--------------------
"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: Scarpa Boots Warranty [Re: BwanaBob]
      #151250 - 20/01/10 05:59 PM

Hi BwanaBob,

Give this guy a call, he is a little Italian guy (I think) and all he does is boot sole repairs.
He trades as "Nu-Tred" Andre Partyga is his name, 0414 424 060 or 9477 3944 just pack your boots up and send them to him at 3/12 Salisbury Road, Hornsby NSW 2077 and he sends them back in about 1 week with the same tread or you do have other choices if you wish, just ask him what will fit. He will need to know the Make and Model of your boots and your old faithfull's will be around a few more years.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Scarpa Boots Warranty [Re: BwanaBob]
      #151252 - 20/01/10 06:13 PM

Quote:

I am surprise to hear of a pair that failed so early!

Yeah, I was too. As you would be aware, these boots aren't cheap.
You know, just before I left on the trip where they delaminated, as they were looking a bit dry, I did give them a light rub down with Dubbin.
I'm wondering if this had anything to do with the sole delamination.
Dubbin is a leather treatment which has been around for a long time, but there are some who say it can rot the stitching.
The soles on the Scarpas are not stiched but glued, and I can't help wondering if the Dubbin could have caused some breakdown of the glue. 9three mentioned that over-oiling can do this. I'm sure I didn't overdo it with the Dubbin though. It was a very light application.

What do you guys reckon? Have you ever had any dramas with boots which have been treated with Dubbin?
Also, what do you think is the best leather treatment for boots, belts etc?

Edited by 4seventy (20/01/10 08:03 PM)

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Scarpa Boots Warranty Photo Added [Re: 4seventy]
      #174604 - 01/02/11 02:42 PM

I still haven't done anything about getting the Scarpa boots repaired.
I'll have to get them fixed sometime this year.
In this photo you can see how little work they've done.

ozhunter
.400 member

Re: Scarpa Boots Warranty Photo Added [Re: 4seventy]
      #174622 - 01/02/11 08:13 PM

Good luck with Skarpa warranty. Even when they are brand new they can be bastards let alone old boots (even showing little use).
Alternately, see if there is a rock climbing gym close by and ask them if they have a boot re sole guy. Often they do as rock climbing shoes have very soft rubber. They will be able to fix them.

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Scarpa Boots Warranty Photo Added [Re: ozhunter]
      #174625 - 01/02/11 08:23 PM

oz,
Thanks, sounds like a good idea. They are too good to just throw away.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

#174626 - 01/02/11 08:25 PM

Hi Ozhunter,

I gave the details above, I used him when my boots suffered the same fate and they came nack like new.

Quote.:
Give this guy a call, he is a little Italian guy (I think) and all he does is boot sole repairs.
He trades as "Nu-Tred" Andre Partyga is his name, 0414 424 060 or 9477 3944 just pack your boots up and send them to him at 3/12 Salisbury Road, Hornsby NSW 2077 and he sends them back in about 1 week with the same tread or you do have other choices if you wish, just ask him what will fit. He will need to know the Make and Model of your boots and your old faithfull's will be around a few more years. End Quote.:

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

ozhunter
.400 member

Re: Scarpa Boots Warranty Photo Added [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #174635 - 01/02/11 09:07 PM

Jeff
Andre is probably excellent but if he can get them properly fixed locally then that's got to be a good thing.
Cheers

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

#174642 - 01/02/11 10:10 PM

No worries Mate, just trying to help,

Cheers,

Jeff

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8756

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com