Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Appalachian Adventure

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Appalachian Adventure
      #145917 - 15/11/09 07:26 AM

I just returned home from a 5 day hunt in two different parts of the Appalachian Mountains. Light snow last night. One of several wallowing holes used by the hogs. A typical New England barn. Apples still clinging on the tree in defiance of the coming Winter.

The first part of my hunt was for wild Boar up at the cabin in North Central Pennsylvania about 20 miles south of the New York State border. I got skunked the previous two times I hunted these things after scoring a nice Boar on my first attempt last Fall. Not this time. The hogs were all over the place. We hunted them in the same way as we would rabbits. We walked slowly through the woods and jumped them out of their beds, which were always in thick downfalls under the heavy branches, or they were lying under a fallen tree. This was very exciting because they would jump out of their beds mad as Hell and run for cover. Luckily, none came toward us! I shot two boars on the same day by doing this. These two boars were not a match for a .340 shooting 250 grain Nosler Partitions. The Blonde Boar was my first of the day. I jumped him along with two others from a thick deadfall. He bolted out and was snorting like mad when he skidded to a stop, then turned around to look straight at me. I’m sure he wondered what jumped him. I shot him at the base of the neck from about 30 yards and the bullet made a complete pass through the length of the body. The black Boar was shot in the same manner except he didn’t stop. He was lying with two other hogs, one of which was very red in color. The red one would’ve made a better trophy, but he turned and ran down the hill. The black one trotted off to the right and I heart shot it as he turned from about 25 yards. Lucky! We saw many more hogs and heard the loud squeals of a couple boars fighting in a field of Goldenrod. The black and white one in the photo was another one we jumped.

After the Boar hunt, I headed north along the Mountain Range to New Hampshire to hunt deer on a special permit on private property. There was a dusting of snow up here, too. Rain and snow all along the Alleghenys and Appalachians up through the Catskills. The photo from behind the log looking down hill was from one of my stand locations. I’d seen this deer early in the morning and couldn’t get him in the scope with a clear shot. He bedded down about 120 yards away and all I could see was his head sticking above a fallen tree trunk as he was laying in a small depression looking downhill. I waited him out all morning. Around 2:00 he stands up, walks 20 feet to my left, then turns and starts walking uphill toward me. He stops at about 100 yards, then angles toward me but heading off to my right and toward a clearing near a lane. At about 90 yards he stops, angling away from me, looks away, and stomps his right foot. I shot him right behind the shoulder. The deer jumped about 4 feet straight up, hunched his back way down, ran 20 yards tops, then hit the ground.

Two hogs and a medium sized buck with a .340 Weatherby. The total yardage for all three animals was under 150 yards and certainly no test for a .340.

The freezer will be full this year!

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Appalachian Adventure [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #145922 - 15/11/09 08:40 AM

Jerry:

Great hunt! Congrats on deer and wildschwein.

Did the pig hunt take place on a fenced property? I've read pigs are increasing range all over the east. WE do not have them here. What is their staus in PA? Are they game or unprotected? Is there a bag limit? That is a nice freezer full for sure, and nice teeth, too.

Very interesting hunt and thanks very much for the pictures, too, really hangs the meat on the bones of the story! Thanks for posting.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Re: Appalachian Adventure [Re: 9.3x57]
      #145928 - 15/11/09 09:48 AM

Thanks for the kind words, 9.3. These hogs were all taken on open non-fenced private property owned by a good buddy of mine up in North Central Pennsylvania. He owns around 100 acres and it butts up against some expansive state game grounds. It's definitely hit or miss with finding these things. I got a nice boar on my first time ever boar hunt last year and was skunked twice sine. Again, on this hunt, we struck it rich. I have no idea how far and wide these hogs travel and where they go when they leave the area. I don't think their range is more than a few miles, though. There is absolutely no doubt when they do infest an area because the woods are torn up with feeding areas and bedding sites. Hogs are really becoming a nuisance here in Pennsylvania and their numbers are steeply on the rise. The state, actually Commonwealth, of Pennsylvania has no season on hogs and therefore can be shot anywhere and anytime they are found. No bag limit either. I guess both of these hogs weighed close to 200 lbs since they were a bit bigger than the 185 lb boar I took last year.

--------------------

Edited by Der_Jaeger (15/11/09 10:03 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #145941 - 15/11/09 01:26 PM

I'm diggin' that .340!

Gotta be one of the best putsemdown calibers every devised.

As for the pigs, we've raised dometic pigs for years, and they are just plumb goldarn destructive. Their wild cousins must be trouble squared. But at least they can be eaten.

Keep killing them with The Rifle. Shut down any suggestions to introduce wolves to knock them down!

That scourge can't be eaten...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Appalachian Adventure [Re: 9.3x57]
      #145955 - 15/11/09 06:54 PM

You certainly had some fun there mate.

That rifle is longer than the boar,or seems to be in the last pic.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Re: Appalachian Adventure [Re: gryphon]
      #146047 - 16/11/09 10:55 PM

Thanks, 9.3. The .340 is probably my favorite caliber for just about anything, anywhere. Your comment about pigs is spot on. We had a few hogs on the farm and I've known some farmers who had some impressive hog operations and they are very destructive animals. It's impressive how much destruction they can cause. Their wild cousins literally rip apart the landscape when the come through. Almost like the swine version of the locust plague. Luckily, they move on.

Gryphon, my rifles, for the most part, sport 26" barrels. Since I'm 6'4", they balance very well for me. I also like 28-30" in my Game Guns; even the small bores.

--------------------

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
      #146575 - 24/11/09 03:07 PM

Sounds like a rewarding hunt. Let me offer my congrats too!

Well done and thanks for the story.

Armbar.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1896

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com