Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: back up pistol for bears

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Scott
.275 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Florida, USA
back up pistol for bears
      #144894 - 01/11/09 02:58 AM

Does or has anyone carried a backup pistol (for bears) while bowhunting? I am looking at another trip to Wyoming next year and am considering bringing a back up. I do not have much experience with revolvers. Not sure about barrel length and caliber issues. Any advice would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: back up pistol for bears [Re: Scott]
      #144898 - 01/11/09 04:40 AM

I carry two---one if I am in black bear country--model 60 S&W00-357 mag with 180gr solid cast --when in grizzly country I can a Titanium 44 Mag. S&W loaded with 300 gr solid cast cores...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
Re: back up pistol for bears [Re: Ripp]
      #144904 - 01/11/09 07:56 AM

44 Mag minimum! With real bullets, solid hard casts, like Ripp said. Mine is loaded with Keith style cast from wheel weight alloy with heat treat. No fast expanding jacketed bullets.

Figure out in advance where to shoot 'ol bruin, cause if he is coming at you, a head shot may not work, I would go for the spine. Up the nose if you are good. Practice shooting eggs at 50 feet, one handed, you may not have time enough for a two hander. I was charged by a big black when backpacking, lucky for me he turned at about 20 feet and ran off. From the moment I first saw him until he turned there was not enough time for me to pull the M629 out of the holster. Good thing it was not a Griz or a Brown! If I was in serious griz/brown country, the 629 would be in a quick access front holster.

Check state regs, some do not allow a firearm to be packed when bowhunting.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: back up pistol for bears [Re: Altamaha]
      #144905 - 01/11/09 08:20 AM

RIPP and Alta +1, except I've been in a fight with a small black bear {posted elsewhere} and my .44 wasn't particularly decisive. Yes, CNS shots for sure. Yes, that does not always happen...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Scott
.275 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Florida, USA
Re: back up pistol for bears [Re: 9.3x57]
      #144938 - 02/11/09 02:33 AM

Thanks for the help. I was considering either the 44mag or 45 colt, any preferences? Also 2 inch or 4 inch barrel? I would think that 4 barrel would be a little better to shoot accurately.

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
Re: back up pistol for bears *DELETED* [Re: 9.3x57]
      #144945 - 02/11/09 04:02 AM

Post deleted by Altamaha

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: back up pistol for bears [Re: Altamaha]
      #144949 - 02/11/09 05:24 AM

If you really need to stop something with claws and that bites, and if time limits precise shooting, go for a S&W 500 w/4" bbl. I've used mine a couple of times to stop animals with bad intentions, and, no, no handgun will drop an animal in its tracks, unless brain shot. However, a 500-gr. bullet will make them pause and give you time for a well-aimed second shot.

if more info needed, pm me.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: back up pistol for bears [Re: poprivit]
      #144950 - 02/11/09 05:42 AM

Quote:

If you really need to stop something with claws and that bites, and if time limits precise shooting, go for a S&W 500 w/4" bbl. I've used mine a couple of times to stop animals with bad intentions, and, no, no handgun will drop an animal in its tracks, unless brain shot. However, a 500-gr. bullet will make them pause and give you time for a well-aimed second shot.

Have actually been looking off and on at the S&W 5" in 460 --think that too would be an awesome all around round..

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#144957 - 02/11/09 07:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Have actually been looking off and on at the S&W 5" in 460 --think that too would be an awesome all around round..

Ripp

OK, please give us an assessment.

Can you handle the the recoil of the gun one-handed w/ both strong and weak hand? A friend of mine has a .500 and I've handled it but I haven't shot it so I don't really know. For me, a handgun has utility if I can shoot it reasonably well even with my weak hand. Otherwise I'd carry a light rifle.

Anyway, I'm curious about these guns. A bit heavy weight for the belt for me, but curious nonetheless. Granted, the cartridge can be loaded down, but if it is loaded down too much, a lighter, six-shot .44 like my S&W 29-9 Heritage would be preferable.

Your thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #153665 - 14/02/10 06:52 PM

G'Day Fella's,

We aren't allowed to carry handguns in the field in Australia (yet) but a good mate of mine (Dave E) and I once had this discussion in the hut we were camped in, during a very wet hunting trip!

Dave was the one that came up with the idea but I find it very hard to argue against his choice and agreed with him!
His choice; The Glock Model 20, in 10mm Auto and one spare magazine!

What do you blokes think of this "Back-Up Gun" and Caliber, for any primary hunting tool?

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: back up pistol for bears [Re: Homer]
      #153669 - 14/02/10 07:31 PM

the 10mm auto with full house load is maybe the best compromise between weigth and fire power. the clock pistol speaks for itself.
I would vote for this!

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: back up pistol for bears [Re: lancaster]
      #153680 - 14/02/10 09:10 PM

I agree. If not a revolver in .44 Rem. Mag. then a pistol in 10mm Auto. I would use 200 grains cast bullets if they feed well. I think a Glock is about the only choice that will make no problems for a long time. Just MHO.

Kalunga

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: back up pistol for bears [Re: Kalunga]
      #153698 - 15/02/10 12:38 AM

I put little faith in a handgun on big bear, or even on small ones if real trouble arises, as I had a bad experience myself with a .44. But the 10mm has always seemed a very good option for the autoloader fan. The best there is IMO. Caveat being the use of cast bullets. Glocks are reported to have problems with cast bullets. Maybe a member can elaborate. I do not own a Glock.

There are days when I have mulled over selling a few handguns and getting one myself, but bear here do not typically cause trouble unless and occaisionally when hunting them and then the rifle is preferred. My other handguns do very well for my purposes, the .357 SIG being a favorite of mine. No bear taken, but it works very well on 70 to 200 lb butcher sheep, coyotes and dogs and would suffice for a closeup wolf in the event...

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #153715 - 15/02/10 03:02 AM

Once shot a black bear with my .45 Auto - 'double tap' to the noggin at 10' did the job well, using 230FMJ's - yes, I live in an area that forbids hunting with handguns. I was working at the time, so the 'shooting' was completely legal. Actually, I shot 7 that fall while working, using a variety for different guns, mostly rifles, of course.

The best "hand-held" gun I found for bears, was a 12 bore with a .710" round ball driven at 1,550fps. Bang/whock/down. Since those balistics were good enough for a 12 bore (7 dram BP load) in Africa, it's good enough for an 'easy-to-kill' black bear. I'd also use it for grizzly before attempting to stop one with a handgun, any handgun. No handgun made today or small-bore (under .45) rifle has as much 'impact' on game at close range. I'd have to compare it to at least a .450 magnum rifle with rapid expanding bullets. As to penetration, with hardened balls, "through and through an elephant's head" is good enough for me.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: back up pistol for bears [Re: DarylS]
      #153718 - 15/02/10 03:17 AM

Quote:

Once shot a black bear with my .45 Auto - 'double tap' to the noggin at 10' did the job well, using 230FMJ's -

Your good shooting saved you a heap of trouble.

My stock shooting experience on skittish meat sheep with .45 ACP, .38 Special, 9x19, 7.62x25, .357 SIG using FMJ's indicates little reaction to body shots and lots of time for running and such after the shot regardless of caliber.

Most recently we did some more with FMJ's and 7.62x25 and 9x19, and both calibers showed almost identical {and expected} results to .45 ACP; in one 125 lb sheep, over 6 minutes of normal activity {running around} before it could be caught up with and head shot, another 3 minutes, ditto. These were side shots right behind the shoulder.

One shot with 7.62x25 and Wolf 86 grain Hollow Point jogged about 20 feet and dropped at 8 seconds, dead.

All shots, FMJ and HP exited. This is the difference between these faster rounds and the .45 ACP, where that round has commonly stayed inside the animal even on 125 lb sheep, using FMJ's.

My experience over the years indicates essentially no difference between any of the abovementioned calibers when FMJ's are used.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: back up pistol for bears [Re: Homer]
      #153720 - 15/02/10 03:28 AM

Quote:

We aren't allowed to carry handguns in the field in Australia (yet) ...

A licence can be obtain, I believe, by Outfitters in the NT as a backup, but nowhere else.

Quote:

As to penetration, with hardened balls, "through and through an elephant's head" is good enough for me.

African Hunter mag / Don Heath ? did a study and found the .357 the best for penetration.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #153737 - 15/02/10 05:10 AM

Quote:

My experience over the years indicates essentially no difference between any of the above mentioned calibers when FMJ's are used.

That's why the 9mm is getting so many bad reports from Iraq. If you use FMJ ammo then you tend to get over-penetration with the smaller calibers. The .45 is working out better for them because it makes a slightly larger hole and it tends to expend all of its energy within the target, i.e. it goes in but doesn't come out.

Using a good hollow point bullet changes things dramatically. Something like a Winchester Ranger T Series SXT has a lot of stopping ability and I wouldn't hesitate to carry it in my .45acp for protection anywhere I normally travel from municipalities to mountainsides. Sometimes I carry my 1911 and sometimes I carry my S&W 1955 revolver.

However, I don't normally travel to big bear country and I believe there are much bigger and better choices than .45acp for use against large bears. When you get to these larger calibers you're choices are pretty much limited to a revolver, the rare auto-mag types excepted. Revolver shooting is very different than any other kind of shooting and, within revolvers, single action and double action shooting are differentiated even further.

Most people agree that the big stoppers begin with .44 Mag and go up from there. I've never shot anything larger than a deer with a pistol but that sounds reasonable to me. However, I wouldn't want to carry something so big and so heavy that it makes it difficult to quickly draw and use. The big S&W canons, the Linebaughs, and the guns chambered in .45-70 and .444 are so big that I wouldn't carry one as a secondary weapon. A 15" long, 4.5 pound revolver may be fine as a primary weapon but a secondary weapon should be out of the way till needed and then quick to deploy. I have read several reports of big bears mauling a victim who didn't have time to use his weapon in defense.

--------------------
~

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: back up pistol for bears [Re: Grenadier]
      #153749 - 15/02/10 06:57 AM

Everything I'm about to say involves FMJ's. HP's are completely different and perform radically differently.

I do not believe that the .45 ACP does perform noticeably better when FMJRN's are used. Yes, I've read the material for years. Material that at best infers but rarely demonstrates true comparative performance of both on game or else. Yes, the Marshall/Sanow stuff shows 9x19 and .45 w/ FMJ's as 60% and 69%, respectively, for one-shot stops. I'll buy that. That 9% is, I'll submit, impossible to see in real life, and service pistol use with Beretta vs the 1911 means the Beretta gets a fellow twice the shots before reloading. And the 9x19 might get thru a door or a gunstock or a sandbag that would stop the .45.

But reading is fine. I've also used both on living critters for years, too.

There are ballistic advantages to both 9x19 and .45 ACP. Both are basically poor stoppers with FMJRN's. At least both have performed essentially identically for me in butcher stock and dogs over the years, with many dozens of butcher sheep shot. I have shot many sheep that took no notice of a hit with a .45 ACP till they died some time later. Ditto the others. All service pistol rounds are lethal, none with FMJ's are lightning bolts on non-CNS hits. I believe because I've seen that the .45 will break bones and stop, bones that the 9x19 will hole and go on and punch a hole in something else. For what that's worth. For marginal shots they both suck.

I was a complete Big Bore handgun aficionado and a Believer in the .45 ACP until years of using it on butcher critters demonstrated its generally poor performance. And that experience had a lot of bias to overturn because I hated the 9x19 before I owned one.

I will say that I shot my 1911 better than almost any other pistol I've ever owned, and that has to count for something, but the performance on stock was so poor I little by little gravitated to other pistols and finally just plain got rid of it. I haven't owned a .45 in years.

9x19 better? No, all service pistols with FMJ's suck for stopping. But it is as lethal. And for lethal, let's not forget that the most lethal ground force ever fielded, the German Army 1914-1918, 1939-1945 soldiered on w/ the 9x19, with no move ever to adopt a heavier caliber. The 9x19 does penetrate a bit better than the .45, tho, in some media. But both are light years LESS effective than even a light rifle caliber like the 7.62x39 or even .223 or 5.45x39 up close, and all those with FMJ's.

John, penetration of handgun bullets depends on the bullet so whoever did the test you report may indeed have found that the .357 penetrated deepest, that is, with those bullets. But that isn't to say it always will. Especially against a real sixgun round like the .44 Mag or heavy-loaded .45 Colt. The Smith .500 and the like, I personally don't consider handgun rounds, at least for me, as I want to be able to hit with my handgun using my weak hand, one-handed. I really cannot do that with the novelty rounds like the .500, .480 Ruger, etc. For the big armed guy that can carry one of those things, all the power to him.

The 9x19 does seem to "bite" bone a bit better than the .45, probably due to its higher velocity. Along those lines, I had a 230 grain FMJRN's skid off a sheep's head square on, that critter taking two more broadside as it ran by me with the flock. It disappeared into the midst, then I set off chasing it to keep it out of the gully, finally getting behind it where I shot it again behind the head, dropping it.

On another occaision I shot a stock-chasing dog with the .357 SIG, 140 S&B FMJ's, the dog taking seven fast shots as it ran away from me, my son counting the exited shots as they kicked up dust on the ground under the critter before it dropped.

And another mean dog took a cylinder full of .45 Colts, the bullet being the 260 grain cast Lyman semi-pointed old Army bullet {similar to that used at Little Big Horn}. Dog dropped after shot 5 and still took #6.

And another ram that took a .45 as it jogged by me, the bullet being the 230 grain FMJRN, the ram being unconcerned, sticking with his buddies till I got it pinned against a fence, then it ran again and after some more mayhem I got one into its head.

And the other day, the one wether took the body shot and after 3 minutes I shot it twice in the head with the 9x19 {thru and thru skull, no brain}, then it shook them off and ran by me with one other and I was able to get behind it and get one behind the head for a stop.

And a little 40 lb goat that took a 200 grain .38 side thru and then walked away as if nothing more than a cloud passed over, found a nice comfy spot under a fir tree and chewed its cud till it put its head down 2 and a half minutes later and went to sleep for good.

List goes on.

The only thing FMJ's and hard lead RN's have going for them is that they don't wreck meat.

--------------------

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #153751 - 15/02/10 07:17 AM

I've already mentioned this, but summer before last I shot a groundhog square in the front of the chest with a 158 gr 357 magnum at about 50 yards. When I got to him, which took about a minute, he still had plenty of fight left in him, and took another shot to the head. My faith that the 357 magnum would stop a fight took a big hit that day.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: back up pistol for bears [Re: Tatume]
      #153757 - 15/02/10 07:44 AM

Yup, I had a similar experience with my 1911 and a rockchuck.

I really grind my teeth when I read about some poor cop who gets trashed in the press over shooting a bank robber "12 TIMES!!! or some such.

I always think...

If a sheep will just flick its ear and keep eating when it takes a .45 thru the boiler room, I reckon a mean meth head will keep trying to make a widow out of the LEO's Misses uless the gun keeps going bang.

All cops should shoot some critters with their service pistol before hitting the streets. Faith in the handgun will then be appropriate to its performance, which ain't impressive.

--------------------

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #153758 - 15/02/10 08:01 AM

We are in agreement. I always carry high quality hollow points in my handguns.

--------------------
~

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: back up pistol for bears [Re: Grenadier]
      #153766 - 15/02/10 09:10 AM

Scroll down to Post #8 for pix.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?154990-Russian-Video-testing-helmets-with-a-TT-33

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#153769 - 15/02/10 10:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp

OK, please give us an assessment.

Can you handle the the recoil of the gun one-handed w/ both strong and weak hand? A friend of mine has a .500 and I've handled it but I haven't shot it so I don't really know. For me, a handgun has utility if I can shoot it reasonably well even with my weak hand. Otherwise I'd carry a light rifle.

Anyway, I'm curious about these guns. A bit heavy weight for the belt for me, but curious nonetheless. Granted, the cartridge can be loaded down, but if it is loaded down too much, a lighter, six-shot .44 like my S&W 29-9 Heritage would be preferable.

Your thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Sorry, I missed this when your posted it the first time...busy crazy life ..

As to the .460, the kick is substantial---in a tight spot however, I can fire one off with one hand..but would not want to do it all day--if a person was on the ground with a griz on top of them I feel fairly certain one could put one in the mellon should they be given the chance---the hightened adrenaline rush would certainly help..

Agree with you, many might be much better off with a rifle..have gone out shooting with a lot of people who find a .40 S&W auto a lot of recoil let along a .44 Mag.
One thing I do like about the .460 is its versatility in being able to shoot several different loads you can just pick off the shelf should you need to...like a colt .45 ..

Agree, they are very heavy compared to the standard.44 mag..and really heavy compared to my S&W Titanium .44 mag...Another advantage I do find good about a handgun when you are in griz country is it will always be close and handy if you need it versus a rifle or shotgun you may let lay by the fire while you go down to the stream for water or while you may be gutting out an animal..

That very thing happened this season to a group of elk hunters in the Gallatin Range..the two "novice" hunters put their rifles by a tree and proceeded to gut out an elk they had just taken..while in the middle of the process, they were interupted by a griz who heard the shot and come to dinner..the bear was now between the elk and their guns..they backed up and left --headed for their vehicles down the trail and come back the next day with a game warden and more guns..or so the story goes..

Like others have said, the best gun is the one you have available at the time you need one...

Ripp

--------------------

404bearslayer
.300 member

Reged: 28/04/09
Loc: Germany
      #153778 - 15/02/10 11:44 AM

Forget about gambling whether a body shot with a handgun will even impress a bear. A dead hunter had once been found next to a dead bear with 4 rounds from a .416 in him. Bear had still enough life in him to kill the hunter. With a handgun, especially, only a headshot is a sure thing - get something that is light (otherwise you'll leave it at home) and gets that job done without excessive recoil:

A 10mm AUTO ! best handgun caliber ever ...

A Glock is not the only option for 10mm, by the way. Mine is an SVI Infinity. If you are not familiar with these guns, check out this website and browse a bit, those guns are very, very cool:

http://www.sviguns.com/

http://www.svi-flass.de/

That's the model I got in 10 mm AUTO:

http://www.svi-flass.de/black%20beauty.jpg

Edited by 404bearslayer (16/02/10 02:02 AM)

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: back up pistol for bears [Re: 404bearslayer]
      #153817 - 15/02/10 08:33 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Just responding to other forum users comments on the usefulness of a hand gun for personal protection against Man or Beast.

I was once sent an email that discussed how a female journalist said the following, to a Police Officer at a local town meeting;
"Gee Officer, I see your wearing your .45 Pistol, are you expecting trouble"?
To which the Officer replied;
"No Ma'am, if I was expecting trouble, I'd have brought a rifle"!

Well, I found it funny and of course quite pertinent!

By the way, I just purchased two new/second hand Winchester 1892 rifles in .44 Magnum and .45 Colt.
They are 1 of 500 series made by Winchester for Davidson's(?) and have 20" octagonal barrels and matching serial numbers, apart from one has "A" on the end and the other has "B" on the end of it's serial number.
These may become my Back Up Guns?

Hey Fella's, do these qualify as "Big Bore" rifles on this forum???

HooRoo
From
Hommer

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 50203

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com