Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Children unlikely allies in feral hog hunt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
Children unlikely allies in feral hog hunt
      #143681 - 14/10/09 10:18 PM

In its effort to control Florida's overpopulation of feral hogs, the state has enlisted some unlikely partners: children.

Kids like 9-year-old Cecilia Plummer, a fourth-grader at St. Jude's Cathedral in St. Petersburg. She will be one of 20 children to don gear and rifle for a hog-hunting expedition on a state reserve in Manatee County.

The youth hunt will be a first for the Southwest Florida Water Management District, which also touts the event as a way to get kids outside more. Parents will tag along on the free hunts, which will be held on two Saturdays this month.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article1043489.ece

The comments by the anti-hunting/anti-gun activists at the bottom are predictably amusing, considering how they've been trying to indoctrinate children for years.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Children unlikely allies in feral hog hunt [Re: Story]
      #143682 - 14/10/09 10:40 PM

This is a very telling headline, exactly what the left wants. Hunting was a very popular sport among eight and nine-year-old children when I was that age. I used to roam the woods daily, and traveled the county by bicycle with a single-shot 12-ga shotgun across the handlebars. This weekend a child with a rifle rode by my house on a bicycle, and it was a heart-warming sight. But unfortunately, it is exactly as the headline says it is, rare, and by design.

Hooray for Florida Fish and Game Dept!

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

CowboyCS
.333 member

Reged: 05/10/07
Loc: Kansas u.S.A.
Re: Children unlikely allies in feral hog hunt [Re: Tatume]
      #143688 - 14/10/09 11:28 PM

Quote:

"We don't think having a young child shoot an animal and watch that animal die before his or her eyes is a positive thing in any way," said foundation spokesman Nick Atwood. "Children these days are disconnected from nature and wildlife. Killing an animal is not going to reverse that trend."

Feral hogs in Florida are largely of Spanish origin, brought over by explorers in the mid 1500s. A wild male hog can stand 3 feet tall and weigh as much as 200 pounds.

No one denies the hogs are a nuisance, Atwood said. "(But) if you can tolerate them for a short time, the pigs will probably move on."

I'd like Mr. Atwood to explain to me were these animals are going to move on to. The last article I read said that 39 states now have a Feral Hog Problem and the damage being caused by these non-native species was running up into the billions of dollars. You don't get much more connected with nature and wildlife than during a hunt, all of the true nature conservatives I know are hunters. Responsible Hunters understand the limited resource available to us better than anyone and most of us have more respect and spend more time and money trying to preserve and conserve what is available to us than any other actual activist I have ever seen. Every thing about that program looks like a positive to me. Getting the next generation involved in hunting, in a safe and supervised environment, and using a non-native nearly unlimited species that needs to have it's populations reduced anyways seems like the perfect combination to me.

Colin

--------------------
The Bill of Rights- Void were prohibited by law
Stolzer & Son's Gunsmithing

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Children unlikely allies in feral hog hunt [Re: CowboyCS]
      #143690 - 14/10/09 11:45 PM

Well said, CowboyCS

Pennsylvaia is high on that list of problem states with increasing hog problems. There is no season here and thay can be taken anywhere they are found.

I'm heading out in a couple weeks.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1566

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com